• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pakistan International Airlines A320 Crash ---> Interesting but sad analysis cause of crash.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like the crew did not extend landing gear on first approach. Attempted to land with gear up. Went around and suffered 2 engine failures. SAD.
Juan Browne (Blancolirio) does a good job and analysis of the crash based on eyewitness photos of the damage in flight.
Watch the video.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
R.I.P.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a tragic story and you can add another reason. Why we are not flying in anytime soon. Pilot error.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another confirmation of my choice to NEVER fly a third world airline. A real tragedy.:cry:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like the first approach was with the gear retracted and the airplane contacted the runway on the engine nacelles, That was the likely cause of the dual engine failure as the fuel pumps, engine controls and other necessary engine equipments are located on the bottom of the engines. When they were destroyed or damaged on the first approach, engine shutdown was inevitable.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Juan Browne (Blancolirio) provides a visual explanation of the gearbox accessory drive that was more than likely damaged. He also provides some explanation as to the "what may have occurred' . He does not think they forget to drop the gear, but rather attempted a go around and then settled back down and struck the runway.

Also has some footage of a 747 engine strike to demonstrate how this can occur during a heavy crosswind.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found this on an Aviation site I frequent.

1590331809202.png

If Accurate, it shows them descending from 10000 feet to 2000 feet in about 2.5 minutes. Such a flight path is absurd for a commercial airliner except in an emergency. The red line shows a typical stabilized approach that is the standard for any airliner. The steep approach of the flight is a recipe for disaster.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
If this sort of thing interests you, the Smithsonian Channel has a series called Air Disasters which documents the cause analysis that takes place after crashes and incidents. Mechanical failure, erroneous programming, inadequate training, improperly thought out procedures, human error, etc. are all considered. The dedication of the investigators and lengths they go to in their investigations is amazing. The result is many changes brought about in the industry to prevent (or reduce the likelihood at least) of recurrence.

Smithsonian Channel Air Disasters Web Page

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I watch that documentary series. DW gets upset when I view.
Passenger aviation travel in the US has a stellar record of safety.
Safer then driving down the street in you personal vehicle.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I watch that documentary series. DW gets upset when I view.
Passenger aviation travel in the US has a stellar record of safety.
Safer then driving down the street in you personal vehicle.
I like that show as well. I actually think it is a great show for someone who is nervous about flying to watch. You soon realize that with almost every accident, it was a series of several things / decisions that all went wrong that resulted in the accident, and not just a single failure. Also, as a result of the investigations, most accidents cause changes to safety procedures or modifications to existing equipment so the same thing will not happen again.

Kurt

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You soon realize that with almost every accident, it was a series of several things / decisions that all went wrong that resulted in the accident, and not just a single failure.

Kurt

Back in the day, I was involved in a number of aircraft accident investigations for the USAF. As you noted there can be a series of separate errors in any accident, design, maintenance or Pilot decisions are typical. Any one can usually be handled but if they line up, an unfortunate result occurs.

Pure speculation on my part but this could be one such case. First, the steep “abnormal” descent. Second possible runway misalignment. Third, distraction because of the first two and then failure to lower the gear or early retraction for a go around. Fourth, Going around after the plane touched down on the engines.

Again, pure speculation on my part but a different decision to go around earlier after starting the descent or go around after not being lined up on the correct runway, either of which would have broken the chain. Other possibilities are the Air Traffic Control delaying clearance to descend sooner resulting in the steep descent, malfunction of the gear mechanisms, other mechanical or software failures, or some unknown problem.

Fortunately, the “black boxes” have been recovered and will answer many questions. https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/pak...air-traffic-teams-conduct-under-probe-2234429

Cheers

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If this sort of thing interests you, the Smithsonian Channel has a series called Air Disasters which documents the cause analysis that takes place after crashes and incidents. Mechanical failure, erroneous programming, inadequate training, improperly thought out procedures, human error, etc. are all considered. The dedication of the investigators and lengths they go to in their investigations is amazing. The result is many changes brought about in the industry to prevent (or reduce the likelihood at least) of recurrence.

Smithsonian Channel Air Disasters Web Page

I like watching that show as well. However, I try to avoid it right before I am to travel.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Juan Browne -- Blancolirio is really deep into this incident. BTW he was a C-141 driver at Travis in 89. I was a Crew Chief USAF C-141 McGuire 80-84. Now he is a pilot for AA.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a live stream discussion with another YouTube pilot based in Barcelona, Spain.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW he was a C-141 driver at Travis in 89. I was a Crew Chief USAF C-141 McGuire 80-84.

From your avatar, I thought you were with the Screwtops, VAW-123

Cheers

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

x3 skier

Looks like he is using the same reference for flight data

1590331809202.png

If Accurate, it shows them descending from 10000 feet to 2000 feet in about 2.5 minutes. Such a flight path is absurd for a commercial airliner except in an emergency. The red line shows a typical stabilized approach that is the standard for any airliner. The steep approach of the flight is a recipe for disaster.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
The Flight Channel does a good recreation of these crash events. Here is another look at the crash.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one point during this fateful approach the crew did extend the landing gear. Then during the confusion and chaos the gear was retracted. This is the classic calamity of errors and bad judgement. Very sloppy, no sign of any professionalism on part the crew and ATC.