• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pain from cortisone injections

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
OWWWWW - just got cortisone injections in my big toe and knee. Arthritis in both cases, much worse in the toe joint. No cartilage in the knee due to surgery decades ago; it's always been a bit prone to stiffness/achiness, but has gotten worse over the last few months - possibly b/c I've been walking oddly to favor the toe.

Anyway, the injections - especially in the toe - hurt like *$#$#@#$*, and now, probably 9 or so hours later, the knee is relatively ok but the toe is still really hurting. If I even try to move it the tiniest bit, OWWWWWWW.:eek:

I realize it's not going to fix the problems, but if it helps manage them for awhile it'll be ok. :shrug:

The Dr. said it might be achy for a few days, then get better. Is this what has happened for others? If you had a cortisone injection, did it help or not? For how long? :confused:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
1 Good Experience Followed By 1 Bad Experience.

I had a couple of cortisone shots in the knee that brought instant relief which lasted for a year or so.

The pain relief was so good that when my knee started hurting again after a couple more years, I went back to the same doctor -- a former pro sports team physician who should really know what's what with knees, etc.

That last time he jabbed his horse needle smack into my knee bone -- completely missed the fluid-filled space around the actual joint & rammed the point right into the hard part. Ow !

It took a week or so to quit hurting & a month or so for the black & blue to go away.

I switched to another knee doctor who says cortisone needles, even if they're jabbed accurately, don't provide lasting help to damaged knees. He did arthroscopic surgery to remove loose debris in the joint & smooth off torn cartilage. Recovery was quick & that repair job lasted several years.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Bob P

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 shots in my shoulder over the past 4 years. The relief lasts from 6 months to 1 year. Well worth the pain of the shot itself. I understand the length of relief has a lot to do with how accurate the injection in the joint was. I have a friend that got no relief from his shot and the doctor told him the cortizone missed the mark . You will know in a few days, but for me its well worth the chance. Good luck. Bob

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Cortisone causes a huge inflamation/pain in the first 24 hours, then things will gradually calm down. At least, that is what I was told and with all the shots I have had that has been proven true. You will feel better soon.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask your surgeon about Synvisc. Go Here to learn more about it.

My wife has had 2 different series of these injections on her knee and it was absolutely successful. Her orthopedic surgeon is one of the very best in his field and also the Chief of Staff at a major hospital in the Seattle area. He not only recommends this approach, but also has used it a number of times on his own knees. When I last talked to him a few months ago he said he will likely require knee replacement but not for another 3 years as long as the injections continue to work.

borntotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had them in my lower spine and in a bone spur on my foot. The both hurt like heck and did not due a bit of good. Ended up just suffering through the back pain for a few years and had surgery on the foot. I can tell you, I won't be getting those kind of injections again - to me, the injection was way worse than the pain it was supposed to help! On the other hand, I have known people to get them and they say that it really helped them. Go figure. I hope it helps you.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now, on the evening after the shots, my knee is 100% better, and the toe much improved. The shots were horrible, but if this improvement stays even for a few months, I'll be happy. I hope I have the good results of Bob and Alan. If not, Synvisc or one of its competitors is the next step - thanks, Kal.

I'm a real weenie about shots (think phobia); I wasn't expecting shots yesterday, just thought it was a consultation, so when the Dr. said lie down, it's shot time, I didn't have time to get all worked up about it.

Now that I know how painful it is, next time I'll take something to put me in la-la-land and have DH drive me :p Then I get to sleep it off for a day.

I'm so happy the shots seem to be working - I've been out of Karate for 3 months b/c of the knee and toe, and I think I can finally go back! Yay! :clap:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize with knee problems. Almost two years ago my right knee was so bad I had to use a walker all the time (Rick Gallagher [ricoba] can testify to this). I got the Supartz shots, and its almost miraculous. I still use a cane sometimes, if I am walking a lot or especially if I will be standing in one spot for a long time, but sometimes I can go for weeks without it. I also take two Move Free capsules every morning, and I think that has helped as well. It is pretty expensive, but Walgreen's or CVS has it buy one, get one free about every six weeks to two months.

Shots in the knee sure aren't any fun, I'll agree. My doctor puts novacaine in the mix, whether it is cortisone or Supartz, in part so you don't hurt from the shot but also so that you know immediately that it "took." And he doesn't make me lay down on the table for the shot. I sit on the edge of it, with my leg dangling. Much more comfortable, and I can look right over his head at the wall as he does the deed (and I call him names).

Fern

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The smaller the joint area, the greater the initial pain. Small joints don't have the ability to absorb the liquid as easily, thus swelling. I periodically have shots in my thumb, and it is horrible for about 16 hours or so. Shots into my knee, don't seem to even bother me at all except the initial 30 minutes. When I get the shots in my thumb, I make sure hubby it there to drive me and take a pain pill & 4 advil about 45 minutes in advance, more advil later in the evening. Set the appointment for late afternoon and by morning all is pretty much OK.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize with knee problems. Almost two years ago my right knee was so bad I had to use a walker all the time (Rick Gallagher [ricoba] can testify to this). I got the Supartz shots, and its almost miraculous. I still use a cane sometimes, if I am walking a lot or especially if I will be standing in one spot for a long time, but sometimes I can go for weeks without it. I also take two Move Free capsules every morning, and I think that has helped as well. It is pretty expensive, but Walgreen's or CVS has it buy one, get one free about every six weeks to two months.

Shots in the knee sure aren't any fun, I'll agree. My doctor puts novacaine in the mix, whether it is cortisone or Supartz, in part so you don't hurt from the shot but also so that you know immediately that it "took." And he doesn't make me lay down on the table for the shot. I sit on the edge of it, with my leg dangling. Much more comfortable, and I can look right over his head at the wall as he does the deed (and I call him names).

Fern

Yes, I will testify that Fern was in the walker and experiencing pain, but after I saw her again, the Supartz, was working great and she looked like she could go dancing! :)

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I had trigger thumb a few months ago. The joint at the base of the thumb was very sore and, of course, that's where the shot goes. The Dr. did numb the skin but it still huuuuurrrrrtttt! Very sore for a day or so and then the pain went away. Took about 3 weeks for the trigger to stop.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I can't figure out is why the Dr. didn't first give me the Novocain to numb the area, instead of mixing it with the Cortisone. I had a Cortisone shot in my shoulder once - different doctor - who did ice first, Novocain second, then the Cortisone. It was uncomfortable, but not even close to the pain of the one in my toe.
My knee and toe are now MUCH better than they were pre-shot. I hope that's a good sign for it lasting.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My doctor swabs a topical on my knee before the injection. All it does is keep the sting of the needle down. If your doctor gave you Novocaine first, you'd have to get *two* deep needles to get it to work the way you want. I prefer just one.

Generally I've been lucky and by the time the Novocaine wears off I'm ok. Jerry has had shots in his hand, and they hurt a lot afterwards. Why? Part of the body? Doctor? Luck of the draw? I dunno...