• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westnick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would Chase post transactions differently than Amex?

Like I said, in my case, SVV and SBP posted as travel, but WSJ and HRA did not. So, don't assume yours will post as travel blindly...it seems it can be assumed that your properties plus SBP are a safe bet.

Also, can the posting transaction category change over time? Probably...

Who determines what category it's listed under? The CC company or the resort?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think it is the resort. One thing I want to point out so far, all the ones mentioned that haven't gone in as travel have been outside of the US 50 states. WSJ is a US territory but regulations might be a little different. HRA is the Bahamas and I wouldn't be surprised if the way it goes through has to do with a way for the government to tax the transaction at a higher rate because sometimes it seems like the government does everything it can to find ways for Atlantis guests and Harborside owners to pay as much tax as possible on the belief that anyone who stays there is super wealthy and needs to support the local economy more.

I used to own a timeshare in Scotland and they processed my MF as Dining/Restaurants. For the first two years of ownership I would get calls from my CC fraud department asking if I was out of the country (in Scotland) and charged $900 at a hotel restaurant. I was shocked the first year until I realized what it was. The second year I was annoyed because I called the CC to expect the charge.

If my supposition is wrong about outside the US 50, I will revise this post so as not to confuse anyone with incorrect info.

Per Cindy's post below there are US resorts who do not put MF under the travel category so you do need to be aware and check each one if you are uncertain.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's definitely the resort that determines the code. Foxrun doesn't get 2X on my Chase Ink Plus; however, some of the other generic resorts do get 2X.

3X is so great! I charge a lot of MF's per year, and restaurants are 3X too. I have used another card for 2X at restaurants. This is going to be my main credit card for most expenses.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
AMEX SPG categorizes WSJ-VGV MFs as: Travel - Lodging
(same for WKORV, WPORV, and WKV)

How Chase Sapphire Reserve categorizes WSJ is unknown.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I got it too!

This card makes Starwood AmEx worthless. Besides the $300 per calendar year travel credit you ALSO get 3x Points AND the 3x points are worth 1.5 cents to purchase travel. SO, that is $300 per calendar year AND 4.5 cents towards travel. Much more valuable than Starwood AmEx!

Oh, and did I say you get 100,000 points to sign up and those points are worth 1.5 cents each for travel purchases so the sign up bonus is worth $1,500.

This card is awesome. 3x points on all travel AND timeshares (specifically says in the terms). 3x point on all restaurants.

The annual fee is $450 (posts immediately) but you get $300 back on travel purchases "each calendar year" which INCLUDES PAYING TIMESHASE MAINTENANCE FEES so the net fee is actually $150. The Starwood AmEx fee is $95 so diff is $55 for all this benefit.

Oh yeah, includes Primary rental car CDW AND Priority Pass Airline club entrance for you and your guests!

The FlyerTalk boards are nuts about this card.:cheer:

Duke noted that if specifically mentions timeshare ... I think a call to chase is in order to get the WSJ and Harborside maintanance fee correctly categorized.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hopefully, the CSR card has the same designations as AMEX SPG that lists for WSJ-VGV (and for WKORV, WPORV, WKV):

VSE VIRGIN ST JOHN CONDO
8801 VISTANA CENTRE DR
ORLANDO FL 32821-6354
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (THE)
Additional Information #
TIMESHARES
Reference #
Category: Travel - Lodging

...considering our MFs at WSJ are ~$4800

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Hopefully, the CSR card has the same designations as AMEX SPG that lists for WSJ-VGV (and for WKORV, WPORV, WKV):

VSE VIRGIN ST JOHN CONDO
8801 VISTANA CENTRE DR
ORLANDO FL 32821-6354
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (THE)
Additional Information #
TIMESHARES
Reference #
Category: Travel - Lodging

...considering our MFs at WSJ are ~$4800
The info you posted is good ammunition if it is mis-categorized by chase. I have paid my BG Maint Fee with Chase and it came thru as travel - lodging. The Points Guy has stated if you have a problem with wrong category to contact CS, I will find out if he recommends Ultimate Rewards CS or Chase CS....one was definitely more responsive than the other.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
The info you posted is good ammunition if it is mis-categorized by chase. I have paid my BG Maint Fee with Chase and it came thru as travel - lodging. The Points Guy has stated if you have a problem with wrong category to contact CS, I will find out if he recommends Ultimate Rewards CS or Chase CS....one was definitely more responsive than the other.

I would guess Chase CS, as they are the ones feeding the info over to the UR portal. Chase CS via secure message has always been great for me.

Xtracto

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea if a Marriott timeshare resale purchase would fall under the travel category?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who determines what category it's listed under? The CC company or the resort?

Not sure. I imagine the CC Company because two of My properties post as Travel and the other two do not.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing about this card everywhere, and am salivating over it-- but my income is currently nowhere near high enough to get approved. :( Guess I'll have to make do with my "regular" Chase Sapphire card. Oh well, that's a "First World problem"!

As for how to use Chase Ultimate Rewards - they can be used many ways. The name "Ultimate Rewards" is pretty accurate. (Although one UR point is not worth as much as one StarPoint.)

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing about this card everywhere, and am salivating over it-- but my income is currently nowhere near high enough to get approved. :( Guess I'll have to make do with my "regular" Chase Sapphire card. Oh well, that's a "First World problem"!

As for how to use Chase Ultimate Rewards - they can be used many ways. The name "Ultimate Rewards" is pretty accurate. (Although one UR point is not worth as much as one StarPoint.)

They arent going to actually check your income. As long as you have very good credit you should be able to get the card.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing about this card everywhere, and am salivating over it--

(Although one UR point is not worth as much as one StarPoint.)

One UR point is worth (MINIMUM) 1.5 cents if you have the Reserve card. Chase UR portal CLEARLY defines worth for booking travel at 1.5 cents if you have this card.

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Sheraton, Westin
I paid a portion of my 2017 SVV MF's on Saturday. I checked today and the $300 credit had already posted. Very impressed.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Looks tempting, but can the points only be used with these?

British Airways Executive Club
Flying Blue AIR FRANC KLM
Korean Air SKYPASS
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®
United MileagePlus®
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Hyatt Gold Passport®
IHG® Rewards Club
Marriott Rewards®
The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®

We usually have to fly Delta or Alaska.

It depends what you are asking. You can use the points to buy tickets on Delta, and others. You CAN'T transfer the Chase points to Delta as frequent flyer miles. On the airlines listed above you can.

Ray

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
If you're concerned about whether your MFs will be classified as Travel, just pay $1 and wait for it to appear on a statement.

Keep in mind, AMEX categories have no bearing on Chase categories. In many/most cases they will align, but merchants can and do code transactions differently when submitting to different payment processors. DON'T expect that you can show Chase an AMEX bill and get them to reclassify the transaction for you.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're concerned about whether your MFs will be classified as Travel, just pay $1 and wait for it to appear on a statement.

Keep in mind, AMEX categories have no bearing on Chase categories. In many/most cases they will align, but merchants can and do code transactions differently when submitting to different payment processors. DON'T expect that you can show Chase an AMEX bill and get them to reclassify the transaction for you.

Agree. I have seen this with 2 Amex, 3 VISA, and 2 MC. Transactions from the same provider can be classified differently.

I imagine the Saphire Reps will be willing to work with you to reclassify transactions. But, it is not given.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made a payment towards 2017's MF's earlier today. Do you know how long it typically takes for the $300 credit to show up?

I dont know if anyone replied yet here but the credit shows up the same time the charge posts to account.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

Chase may not approve you immediately, but they may eventurally approve the card but will take some of the credit line from your regular Sapphire card.

Does anyone know how long this card is going to be available for the 100K bonus?

I already get 1.25 X through the UR portal with our Chase Ink Bold and Chase Ink Plus cards. The 1.50 is just a bit more, but the 3X is 50% more.

I will have to un-freeze our credit reports to get this card. What a pain, as I just got approved for the Hyatt card and went through the process of un-freezing for that one.

Last edited:

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Paid MF with new Chase Sapphire Reserve card

I just got this card in the mail. It was a regular plastic one, and there was an enclosed note that said it was just temporary and that I would receive the regular card (made of something else, apparently) later because the card was too popular.

At any rate, I just bought into the Nanea timeshare in Maui and still have to pay off the balance. I've been using my SPG card but still have a chunk to pay off. Can you use this Chase card for that and get the $300 credit?

I know this thread mentions the MF, however, I imagine it goes to the same place. But I haven't paid one yet... since the property is still being built.

Also, I suppose I could use this card for the $4000 spend (I still have more than that to pay off the purchase of the timeshare).... however, I've been getting 2X SPG points on the Amex card; and SPG points are worth 2.2 cents a point....

Using the CSR card, I'd get 3X if they consider buying a timeshare as travel...

Anyone tried this yet?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome to TUG!

I have no idea if your loan balance would be marked as travel or lodging. Are you getting bonus points for paying this loan with your Starwood card? What is the category you see next to your payment?

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Welcome to TUG!

I have no idea if your loan balance would be marked as travel or lodging. Are you getting bonus points for paying this loan with your Starwood card? What is the category you see next to your payment?

actually, I looked at the last auto payment on the SPG Card that I made towards the balance of the timeshare, and it's coded "Travel - Lodging". Got a bonus which added up to double points.

I would imagine it's probably the same on the Chase card then.

Paid to HRE E/A FOR NANEA

I had the SPG card already and decided to use it for the downpayment. They are charging me monthly until I pay it off. Which will be soon because of the ridiculous interest rate.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
actually, I looked at the last auto payment on the SPG Card that I made towards the balance of the timeshare, and it's coded "Travel - Lodging". Got a bonus which added up to double points.

I would imagine it's probably the same on the Chase card then.

Paid to HRE E/A FOR NANEA

I had the SPG card already and decided to use it for the downpayment. They are charging me monthly until I pay it off. Which will be soon because of the ridiculous interest rate.

^^^^ good first posts ^^^^ welcome to TUG
You bought Nanea from VSE? and loan?

The MFs do get 2X on AMEX SPG - but CSR ?

I doubt if a Loan payment would qualify since the loans are sold off (or whatever they do that business...) and get reclassified - but you never know? Maybe there is a short term prior to loan being transferred.

When I bought EOY WPORV in 2007 - I paid with AMEX SPG. Got 2X SPs
Good point about CSR for paying for a VOI (TS week/points) - but there is always that issue with buying from VSE and resale value is <20%... ;)

I am going with okwiater's suggestion: going to pay $100 towards the MF for each VOI when I get the card.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I missed this thread when started and only found it from Marriott board talking about Sapphire card.

So, am I thinking about this correctly - if I have $15K in MFs and all classify as Travel (an assumption) than I would earn 45K Chase points (URs?) would could be converted to 45K BA points (Avios?) would could then be redeemed for whatever I could get with 45K Avios (almost two Hawaii tix on partner Alaska?)

Did I synthesize this all correctly?

Please advise and thank you!

Best,

Greg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
All,

I missed this thread when started and only found it from Marriott board talking about Sapphire card.

So, am I thinking about this correctly - if I have $15K in MFs and all classify as Travel (an assumption) than I would earn 45K Chase points (URs?) would could be converted to 45K BA points (Avios?) would could then be redeemed for whatever I could get with 45K Avios (almost two Hawaii tix on partner Alaska?)

Did I synthesize this all correctly?

Please advise and thank you!

Best,

Greg

If MFs are considered travel - likely (AMEX SPG does at 2x) - then you are correct. However, no one here has yet to confirm (for VSE). I am going w/ highly likely... IMO
I do not know Avios conversions, assume as you stated.

Last edited: