• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owners Update compensation

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
Just curious what everyone has been offered to attend an owners update lately. We just returned from Smoky Mountains and all they offered was $80 cash or $100 in activity vouchers. And special "wholesale" pricing for other activities on the sheet. If I remember correctly I think we were offered $300ish in cash a couple years back at Cape Canaveral. We typically decline because we have three children and dragging them through that is not worth the money/vouchers. And half the time the vouchers or gifts you get always seem to have some string attached. Like last year in Cabo we went to the presentation in exchange for $300 food and drink vouchers at the resort. The catch was they gave us 6) $50 vouchers that could only be used at some of the onsite restaurants and you had to use the whole voucher at one time. So if your bill was $90 you either lost $10 bucks or came out of pocket for $40 so you didn't have to start in on the next voucher. And then there was another time in Riveria Maya where we did the tour for a free excursion with lunch to Tulum, but on the way to Tulum the tour bus stopped at two different stores and made us sit there for an hour to shop for crap we didn't want. Im sure the resort got a kick back for bringing us there to shop. So lesson learned, the free stuff usually is not worth the hassle.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bump, curious to see if anyone has any input on recent offers to attend the presentations?

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got $200 food and drink vouchers at cape canaveral. Should of refreshed my memory by reading this thread again before I checked in and maybe i could of held out for $240. They offered $150 and I countered with $200 and they came back pretty quick and said yes. Appointment tomorrow morning at 9. It’s weird but I’m actually looking forward to it. It’s been a while since I’ve done a HIVC one. And we just bought a 30,000 point trust contract to bring a resale week in so there’s no way I’m upgrading to anything else right now so it should be a pretty easy NO!

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got $100 cash at South Beach in Myrtle Beach. It was painless because I know so much about timesharing, having been an owner since 1980. One new piece of info was that they were building a beachfront section within the next two years. True or False, time will tell.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just got $100 cash at South Beach in Myrtle Beach. It was painless because I know so much about timesharing, having been an owner since 1980. One new piece of info was that they were building a beachfront section within the next two years. True or False, time will tell.
Second time I’ve heard someone mention the beach front building. That would be cool.

Grnmn1

Reaction score

We are about to go to our first update presentation next week at Oaks and Spruce.
From other threads, it seems like that the update presentations are just more sessions of them trying to sell you to upgrade your points or purchase more points. Is this true?
Also, we were told we already paid $199, and will get it back in cash after the presentation. Is that what is usually offered, but they will change it once you get there?
We are completely brand new owners, so any advice/tips/traps to be knowledgeable about would be greatly appreciated!

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
We are about to go to our first update presentation next week at Oaks and Spruce.
From other threads, it seems like that the update presentations are just more sessions of them trying to sell you to upgrade your points or purchase more points. Is this true?
Also, we were told we already paid $199, and will get it back in cash after the presentation. Is that what is usually offered, but they will change it once you get there?
We are completely brand new owners, so any advice/tips/traps to be knowledgeable about would be greatly appreciated!
If you paid $199 for the stay, yes the update is required and they will give you the $199 afterwards. If you dont show up they will charge you the full rate of your room.

Grnmn1

Reaction score
If you paid $199 for the stay, yes the update is required and they will give you the $199 afterwards. If you dont show up they will charge you the full rate of your room.
Do you know if this is an actual orientation/update as they initially said, or is it a sales pitch session?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Do you know if this is an actual orientation/update as they initially said, or is it a sales pitch session?
It's a sales pitch. They may or may not teach you things you didn't know but the person across from you is paid only if you buy something.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

This seals it, it is 100% a sales pitch and not "orientation"

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week went to Wyndham Smoky Mountain presentation and got a $100 gift card. However, when it first given to us the card was for $75 and not the $100 that had been agreed upon (it was changed).