• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Update: How we upgraded and got HGV Max

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I wouldn't say we "drank the koolaide". We were interested in expanding our HGV ownership. We got a good deal doubling our points and HGV Max was an unexpected bonus. And even better, we could afford what we purchased without financing (which never looks like a good deal to me!). As dougp26364 stated earlier, if the ownership upgrade makes sense and HGV Max is included at no extra cost, then why not go forward?
I too drank the Kool-aid over 20 years ago, paid cash also, so I don't mean it in an unkind way. Stick around and learn how to maximize what you own, and buy resale if you want more points.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hi All!

We are "newer" HGVC owners and just attended our owners update... and we bit! By newer I mean we purchased our first EOY HGVC deed in 2019, and then upgraded to an EY BHC deed six months later.

Also note that as an HGV Max member all reservation/booking fees are waived. Also we were told that HGV Max owners will have a unique website/app experience - HGV Max members will see the new HGV Max logo on the top left of homepage, and the site will have different access and features that traditional non-Max owners will not see.

I hope you knew that by owning a BHC property and paying the higher Club fees, that you already had reservation fees waived. You did not need to upgrade to max to get this.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I don't know about 2019 prices, Max, or Kool aid. I do know OP has spent $47,000 for about 10,000 old annual points, which are available for about $10,000 or less in Vegas deeds with MF around $1500 total. Even with all the bonus points, that puts the cost of Max at ~$25,000. That's for six month access to DRI resorts, and six month access to DRI is of unknown-questionable-dubious value.

It seems like a lot. Not completely crazy, but high. I would want to know exactly what I was getting for my $25,000 - exactly what kind of availability at which resorts Max gets me - before upgrading to retail and then to Max.

I believe the OP now has 10,080 new points, which would be 6300 old points. It looks like it’s a Studio Premier in Gold Season. OP corrected to a 1BR Premier in Gold. With all the unknowns on what will actually be available at 6 months it seems like a leap of faith to me.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I hope you knew that by owning a BHC property and paying the higher Club fees, that you already had reservation fees waived. You did not need to upgrade to max to get this.

Plus you get Honors Gold from bHC.

@JillAndrea Did they provide you with the ratio of new HGVC points to DRI points when you reserve DRI? Is it 1:1? (I fear this is the case, since they just changed our points by 1.6x)

(for all) If the ratio is 1:1, a week at Point at Poipu in a 2 Bdrm during prime season runs 21,100 and Sedona 1 bdrms are about 15,000 in DRI points. Much more expensive than HGVC! (15k - 20k vs. 11,200 (old 7000) points for a 2bdrm week). I am glad they are limiting DRI max to 6 months HGVC because DRI members will flood HGVC properties with all of their points because they will arbitrage into HGVC properties for more value. (I don't blame them, I would do the same.)

HGVC owners will need to reserve by 6 month or bHC by their resort to club deadline or they will not have access at all. What this also means is that higher point DRI properties such as P@P might become available at 6 months. Why stay one week in a 20,100 P@P when you can stay two weeks on the BI or Oahu for around 10k HGVC points for a 2bdrm in prime? These DRI properties are priced along the lines of the newer HGVC properties like Grand Islander and OT.

Perhaps this is by design to get everyone to buy more points. :ponder: Also, the lower point HGVCs tend to reserve first so perhaps it is intended that the remaining units at 6 months will be the higher point HGVC units that few reserve (goodbye Open Season Availability for these HGVC properties). However trading HGVC to DRI makes the HGVC Max value worse because all that are left are the relatively high point DRIs.

The ratio of HGV points to DRI points for reservations is key to MAX. If 1:1 is true, it is not worth blowing a year+ of points for a reservation on DRI when I can get 1 - 2 weeks in HGVC. Plus pay $7k for "the privilege" (and potentially not have access to the best DRI properties at 6 months).

I hope my analysis is wrong and the ratios are different. Please tell me otherwise.

Last edited:

JillAndrea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC/HGV Max

We have always paid reservation fees, even after purchasing BHC.. $59 per booking. But we were not staying at our home property... perhaps that is why? Also keep in mind that we did not upgrade to Max for the waived reservation fees. The take-away for us was doubling our deed/point value and expanding the resort portfolio.

JillAndrea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC/HGV Max
I believe the OP now has 10,080 new points, which would be 6300 old points. It looks like it’s a Studio Premier in Gold Season. With all the unknowns on what will actually be available at 6 months it seems like a leap of faith to me.
We purchased a 1 bedroom king premier in gold season.

JillAndrea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC/HGV Max
Plus you get Honors Gold from bHC.

@JillAndrea Did they provide you with the ratio of new HGVC points to DRI points when you reserve DRI? Is it 1:1? (I fear this is the case, since they just changed our points by 1.6x)

(for all) If the ratio is 1:1, a week at Point at Poipu in a 2 Bdrm during prime season runs 21,100 and Sedona 1 bdrms are about 15,000 in DRI points. Much more expensive than HGVC! I am glad they are limiting DRI max to 6 months HGVC because DRI members will flood HGVC properties with all of their points because they will arbitrage into HGVC properties for more value. (I don't blame them, I would do the same.)

HGVC owners will need to reserve by 6 month or bHC by their resort to club deadline or they will not have access at all. What this also means is that higher point DRI properties such as P@P might become available at 6 months. Why stay one week in a 20,100 P@P when you can stay two weeks on the BI or Oahu for around 10k HGVC points for a 2bdrm in prime? These DRI properties are priced along the lines of the newer HGVC properties like Grand Islander and OT.

Perhaps this is by design to get everyone to buy more points. :ponder: Also, the lower point HGVCs tend to reserve first so perhaps it is intended that the remaining units will be the higher point units that few reserve (goodbye Open Season Availability for these HGVC properties). However trading HGVC to DRI makes the HGVC Max value worse because all that are left are the relatively high point DRIs.

The ratio of HGV points to DRI points for reservations is key to MAX. If 1:1 is true, it is not worth blowing a year+ of points (15k - 20k vs. 11,200 (old 7000) points for a 2bdrm week) for a reservation on DRI when I can get 1 - 2 weeks in HGVC. Plus pay $7k for "the privilege" (and potentially not have access to the best DRI properties at 6 months).

I hope my analysis is wrong and the ratios are different. Please tell me otherwise.
Yes, the ratio is 1:1. This is the reason HGV recalibrate its point values +60%... so all properties would use the same point system.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
We have always paid reservation fees, even after purchasing BHC.. $59 per booking. But we were not staying at our home property... perhaps that is why? Also keep in mind that we did not upgrade to Max for the waived reservation fees. The take-away for us was doubling our deed/point value and expanding the resort portfolio.

With bHC, if you add on the All Inclusive fee option, you wouldn't have paid anything for your booking fees.

My guess is the next sales presentation you attend, you will told this deed isn't very good or good enough for you so you will need to spend more and update. They will tell you that your membership is sub par until you achieve the next tier of status. It's why they keep upping the requirements with new tiers so they can keep selling those with an extreme amount of points the idea of achieving a greater status. The new level (Centium) is almost double the amount of points as previous high tier.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If 1:1 then 1.6x is a significant devaluation of the HGVC points system relative to DRI because most Diamond owners will have 1.5x the number of points. 15,000 DRI 1 bdrm or 2 bdrm non peak vs. 11, 200 (old 7000) or 15,360 (old 9600).

What is the average number of points owned by a DRI owner?

Max is sounding like a great deal for DRI (if they don't have significant buy-in price) and not so good deal for HGVC owners unless they have a lot of points to burn. This is all conjecture so need to learn more.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The ratio of HGV points to DRI points for reservations is key to MAX. If 1:1 is true, it is not worth blowing a year+ of points for a reservation on DRI when I can get 1 - 2 weeks in HGVC. Plus pay $7k for "the privilege" (and potentially not have access to the best DRI properties at 6 months).

My guess is if someone wants to go to Kauai, Maui, Sedona, Tahoe or Virginia Beach on a regular basis, you might just want to purchase a resale deed there. The cost would be much less and you will have a better chance to get the exact date you want.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If 1:1 then 1.6x is a significant devaluation of the HGVC points system relative to DRI because most Diamond owners will have almost 1.5x the number of points. 15,000 DRI 1 bdrm or 2 bdrm non peak vs. 11, 200 (old 7000) or 15,360 (old 9600).

If you want to book DRI resorts, yes it is. Then again, I agree with many that HGV Max is just for marketing and sales. The ability to sell prospective buyers on the increased amount of resorts is key. Most won't realize how restrictive the 6 month window is when booking resorts they want. Maybe as more DRI resorts get added to the HGV Max listing, they will open up the window a bit, but I doubt it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@JillAndrea FWIW if it is not too late, I would rescind and buy Vegas resale 7k deed for < $8k. You could buy two of those for < $17k adding 14,000 old points for about $2000 MF. Add your existing 5k old and you now have 30,400 new points for $17k.

If you want Max just pay the $7k fee or trade these resales in for an upgrade in if you desire. You still own a retail deed so are eligible for the program.

Alternatively buy one old 7k Vegas Deed for $8k all in ($1000 MF) and Buy Max $7000 and for $15k you have 12,000 old points (7k + 5k) /19.200 new, plus Max. Then you could sell or give away your old property if you don't want the MF.

This would give you 11,200 new points (7000 old) at $1000 MF plus access to MAX. More than your 5k points today, lower MF than today AND MAX for about $15k all in (a savings of $2000) Plus you can add more resales after you added MAX if you want more points.

Last edited:

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We purchased a 1 bedroom king premier in gold season.

I didn't see those 1BR's when I looked at the chart. I still think you have spent a lot of $ with still a lot of uncertainty around Max. I agree with the advice CalGalTraveler posted abouve this and rescind if it's not too late. Take a step back to see how this all shakes out. You have spent a lot of $ and honestly don't have a ton of points to use. Personally I think a 6 month booking window will be useless for hot locations.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I'm also skeptical on how much actual product will be available inside of six months. Seems like leftovers. I wonder if they can put in requests 18 months out to get priority on cancelations? To me, DRI just does not seem to be worth the MF premiums.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@CalGalTraveler & @BingoBangoBongo , the OP already told us she did this about a month ago and therefore she can't rescind... :( But hopefully she understands the math we are trying to explain here and this can better inform her decision in the future, right @JillAndrea ?

The first sentence in the first post said "just attended".

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you want to book DRI resorts, yes it is. Then again, I agree with many that HGV Max is just for marketing and sales. The ability to sell prospective buyers on the increased amount of resorts is key. Most won't realize how restrictive the 6 month window is when booking resorts they want. Maybe as more DRI resorts get added to the HGV Max listing, they will open up the window a bit, but I doubt it.
This entire thing sounds like a copy of TravelShare with Worldmark and Wyndham. A very small minority that pay for it ever get any decent locations/times and based on the feedback they often get better options with RCI.

JillAndrea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC/HGV Max
I didn't see those 1BR's when I looked at the chart. I still think you have spent a lot of $ with still a lot of uncertainty around Max. I agree with the advice CalGalTraveler posted abouve this and rescind if it's not too late. Take a step back to see how this all shakes out. You have spent a lot of $ and honestly don't have a ton of points to use. Personally I think a 6 month booking window will be useless for hot locations.
You have to scroll down. There are 3 room types for 10080 pts in Gold. Ours is the 1 Bedroom Premier Small. In the contract it is listed as type VIII which is the King version (as opposed to 2 doubles).

We are not going to rescind. I appreciate all the feedback, and I suppose we will learn as we go, but at this time we feel we got exactly what we were looking for. Perhaps naive, but we will see!

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
We attended on Friday, but we are not going to rescind. We believe what we have now is better for us than what we had before.
@JillAndrea not trying to be pushy, just doing what we do here on TUG (educating ourselves and each other!) on timeshare ownership... would you be open to someone explaining it to you with numbers/math in case you might reconsider? There's no shame in this game, most owners here bought from the developer vs resale originally and learned the ropes only AFTER finding TUG. I'm one of the lucky ones, but many on here were in a similar boat to yours! @SmithOp who replied to this thread is one example...

If you're open to a detailed explanation with numbers on why you should rescind, let us know and someone can take a stab at explaining this at a very basic level so anyone can follow.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
If 1:1 then 1.6x is a significant devaluation of the HGVC points system relative to DRI because most Diamond owners will have 1.5x the number of points. 15,000 DRI 1 bdrm or 2 bdrm non peak vs. 11, 200 (old 7000) or 15,360 (old 9600).

What is the MFpp in DRI? If they pay more MF and get more points, it all equals out.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
We have always paid reservation fees, even after purchasing BHC.. $59 per booking. But we were not staying at our home property... perhaps that is why?

No, that's not why you paid it. You paid booking fees because you didn't enroll for all-inclusive booking fees - an option available to BHC owners only. Rather than pay $193 club fee, you'd pay a bit more ($300-ish), and you get free booking fees - but you have to enroll.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@JillAndrea I am also an owner who paid retail and now have resales. I also enrolled in bHC AI and get all reservations for all properties free.

Would be happy to discuss the numbers I shared above. Your deal is not terrible - It's your money but you will get more bang for the buck with resale.

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
We went through the same high pressure sales pitch with a real sense of urgency - if we don't act now were going to lose bigtime. Her offer was the minimum to upgrade, $10k plus fees, for an additional 1500 points and HGV max. No thanks - we didn't bite and I feel like we dodged a bullet. Looks like decent properties won't be available for a few years - plus - if I read the rules correctly, access will be 6 months out. So only the left overs.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is the MFpp in DRI? If they pay more MF and get more points, it all equals out.
In my observations they pay much higher MFs per equivalent stay. I don't have the raw numbers, but it appears that they charge maybe 35% premium above HGVC for a week for the same room type.