• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner update at Westin Ka'anapali and what they offered to bring SBP into the system

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It was a decent presentation, kind of confusing for me. I feel that I am pretty knowledgeable but after this presentation, I am wondering about hidden costs.

Not even sure if 3* is even worth it anymore, but they said we could be that status. How does that equate in Bonvoy? I know our Bonvoy hotel points credit card pretty well.

The lady at the first part of the meeting was just a person who sells Westin and doesn't do any conversions and had nothing to offer. She kept saying that Marriott and Vistana will have an overlay. They have no idea how that will work, but she kept looking at a December week at Oceanwatch and compared it to my summer SBP weeks and said, "You will only be at about 1,200 points." She purposely looked at December low #'s and said our week was worth only that. I told her that our 2 bedrooms are 67,100 and our lockoffs are 81,000, but I told her we bought all of ours resale, so it's a voluntary resort and options didn't transfer to us at all. I also told her that the resort was originally not Sheraton, and she seemed aware of that. I love the way the salespeople feel about Sheraton in their system. I did agree with her that Vistana is a stupid name for the system. Absolutely is a stupid name.

Woman #1 was 100% sure that Vistana/ Marriott would be one system and that 600,000 Marriott and Vistana owners would be able to book Vistana at 8 months out. She kept saying she was 100% certain this will happen. I won't say her name here, but if you want to know via PM, I will disclose it. Nice woman, but I do not know if she was just making that up because my understanding from others' presentation experiences is that these systems will remain completely separate. Separate pooling of inventory; separate partly because a great week in Marriott might be 12,000 points, while a similar unit at Westin is 176,000 points. The hotel conversion didn't go well. I am still miffed but it's over and done.

She said II would no longer have any inventory. That was a strange statement. Certainly owners will want to travel out of the system to go to destinations not in the points' systems, and I agree that maybe owners should rent their easy-to-rent-over-maintenance-fee weeks and rent what they want, but II is alive and well and will always have at least the inventory from owners who choose not to move over to "flex." Although I never see SBP available for summer, so that is a tough get. So maybe no more Hawaii inventory will be on II in the future. Could happen.

The first woman was really unsure why we stopped in. Rick told her the $200. Well, I was curious what they would offer for a conversion and was mightily impressed with what the second woman had to offer, but Rick was not impressed and doesn't want to do it, but here it is:

The second woman, I also liked her, and she was very direct. I need that and told her I appreciated honesty. I noticed she glanced at the white board on the wall to see what we were told. The first woman had Marriott Vistana overlay on the board. I told the second woman that I am unsure about Marriott and Vistana combining as one. I heard they would always be separate. She said, "Well, our paychecks say Marriott, if that is any indication." I think she is unsure.

For $22,600 + closing costs, we could buy 67,100 flex options at Westin for around $1,600 in MF's annually. I had to ask about MF's because they very deliberately do not say. I understand why they don't say and that always has me questioning everything. Why not disclose the MF's upfront? That is a lot of MF's. In purchasing that week, which is only a small one bedroom (you can correct me on that, if you want), they would convert 3 of our 2 bed lockoffs, as long as they are annual and are weeks 24-32 to 81,000 points each. I have the paperwork.

We have the money to do it, but Rick is telling me this would be a big mistake and I would regret any decision to convert.

The third woman was trying to get us to come back for five nights in the future and told us the deal we saw was not good past today, if we didn't spend $1,500 for these 5 nights, but that $1,500 would apply to our purchase. I told her no. Rick was proud. I was irritated at her offer because we just stayed at Westin North in a studio and our kids were at Westin Nanea. It seemed like such a waste of our time.

Two hours and I am more confused than when I went in. Rick is just as adamant as he always is, but he does let me decide on things like this.

What does 3 star have to do with Marriott? That was strange. Especially when they talked about the credit card points. Are the salespeople confused, too?

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I imagine that you and Rick might be construed as "a tough sell." :LOL:
Especially Rick. He is so blah on timeshare presentations.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rick has it right.

Westin Flex is voluntary, has high MF's, and little resale value. You would be paying about $20,000 to "requalify" three SBP units which would increase their utility but not their resale value.

But you know all of this.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I want to ask a question. Will be at WKORVN this weekend for a week. Would love to attend a TS presentation there as we are not Westin owners anymore if the offer was at least $200.

How did they make the offer to attend an update? I have been to WKORVN a few times and have never been asked to attend. Well 2020 could have been because sales office was closed.

Your post read like it could have been at a Marriott sales center. The reasons to enroll and script eerily resemble Marriott sales tactics at updates. Just replace the 3* stuff with executive, presidential, chairman etc.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
You can stop by the concierge to ask if you can attend the presentation. Essentially the offer was to spend $20k which allows enrollment of 3 weeks. When I was there back in Feb, I was offered to buy biennial WKORV North units to enroll some of my resale units, which I think is a better choice than westin flex.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I want to ask a question. Will be at WKORVN this weekend for a week. Would love to attend a TS presentation there as we are not Westin owners anymore if the offer was at least $200.

How did they make the offer to attend an update? I have been to WKORVN a few times and have never been asked to attend. Well 2020 could have been because sales office was closed.

Your post read like it could have been at a Marriott sales center. The reasons to enroll and script eerily resemble Marriott sales tactics at updates. Just replace the 3* stuff with executive, presidential, chairman etc.

Frank, we usually spend some time early in the week walking to Whaler's Village. We stop by the booth at the Westin Hotel and sign up there. I have found the offer is better, but you have to start there rather than at WKORV. Actually this is convenient if staying at MOC, but not at WKORV. So, you may just be better off signing up at the resort. Just thought I would share.

Best regards.

Mike

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We got $200 and just went to the concierge for our owner's gift, which was a nice bag. I like their bags.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
When you get your key cards they send you to the concierge for your free gift (another bag, and playing cards) and they offer you a presentation.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We get in to OGG on Sunday night at 9pm. Actually all our check ins have been at 10pm or later so no concierge there. I will go down Monday and try to get owners gift. Do owners of Marriott count or does it have to be current Westin owners?

We usually walk or drive to Whalers village anyway. Will check at the Westin hotel and if offer is better than WKORVN, sign up at hotel. For 90 minutes of my time and remuneration of at least $200, will attend. Wonder what tactics is going to be used to get me to buy?

Loved my Grand Vista presentation this past Jan. Was only with sales person about 20 minutes of the 90 minutes. Sales had a really hard time figuring how to make a sale . It was actually enjoyable to be left alone for over an hour and get paid $350. It really helps when we own 45 enrolled weeks or equivalent of over 110k DC points. It was actually funny when they said I would need to buy more points so that I can use it to book from the private home collection. They showed me that my points would only get a month or so in the homes. I countered that it was only the 3 of us travelling so a home is a waste.

Thanks for your suggestions and see you in a few months.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our son would be the one to go on a presentation and convert the weeks he owns with us because he loves that Westin luxury. He would love to get an ocean view unit. But I told him to buy a mandatory week, oceanfront, and he would have what he wants. But when he heard the MF's, he was pretty shocked. But they could lock off and use it for two weeks.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We got $200 and just went to the concierge for our owner's gift, which was a nice bag. I like their bags.
When you get your key cards they send you to the concierge for your free gift (another bag, and playing cards) and they offer you a presentation.
You can stop by the concierge to ask if you can attend the presentation. Essentially the offer was to spend $20k which allows enrollment of 3 weeks. When I was there back in Feb, I was offered to buy biennial WKORV North units to enroll some of my resale units, which I think is a better choice than westin flex.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thanks for all your responses. Will stop by and see what the offer is. My wife is interested in the bag. Do not have any Westin weeks so nothing for me to enroll.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
We are 4 star and I'm not sure that in reality it gets us anything.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Three things that are in my brain days after the update we had:

1) The 67,100 Flex Options, she said they are all mandatory. That didn't sound right. Why would Flex Options be transferrable in resale? That is what mandatory means to me.

2) II is no longer going to be a product used by Marriott/ Westin. All trades will be within the network of resorts without II. I don't think so. Marriott owns II, so that made no sense.

3) Would we have any priority into the Maui resorts, or not? She kept talking about the 12 months and booking in that early window, but I don't think we would be able to book our new purchase until < 8 months.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

1) The 67,100 Flex Options, she said they are all mandatory. That didn't sound right. Why would Flex Options be transferrable in resale? That is what mandatory means to me.

2) II is no longer going to be a product used by Marriott/ Westin. All trades will be within the network of resorts without II. I don't think so. Marriott owns II, so that made no sense.

3) Would we have any priority into the Maui resorts, or not? She kept talking about the 12 months and booking in that early window, but I don't think we would be able to book our new purchase until < 8 months.

1) Westin Flex HomeOptions are not mandatory. If purchased resale, the owner is limited to making reservations at the 8 resorts within the Westin Flex program.

2) I agree with you. That doesn't make sense. Then again, Marriott has done some things that don't make sense!

3) If you purchased Westin Flex you would be able to make reservations at 12 months for WKORV, WKORVN and Nanea but of course would be limited to what is in the Flex inventory bucket. You wouldn't be competing against the week owners.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I have have bought resale of both mandatory and voluntary resorts and have some Westin Flex. Resale Flex, while not mandatory, IMO works very well if you primarily want to go the 8 properties in the program. You can book 1 to 14 nights at 12 months out, which is something you cannot do with other ownerships even if they are in network.

The primary downside of Westin Flex from a usability perspective is that they have very limited inventory at resorts that were sold out prior to the Flex program starting, especially at WRV during prime ski season and really not that much at WKORV S and N. On the other hand, there is lots of inventory at Nanea and WDW as those resorts converted to selling Flex for original inventory. (They are adding to the inventory to other locations via buy backs and exercising ROFRs.)

Anyway, Westin Flex works great for priority in Hawaii if you are ok with having Nanea as your most available Maui resort (very limited one bedrooms though), and you are ok taking best available view based upon your confirmation time stamp.

As far as II, the story I’ve gotten from owner updates at three locations is that the way Flex works in II (points vs weeks) is kind a preview of what things may look like if they ever get Vistana and MVC more integrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Marriott sales have been saying that there will not be seeing Marriott weeks in II since the DC points inception in June 2010. Just a crock of lies from a salesweasel. That is one of their reasons that non points owners should buy points.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Arrived and saw concierge this morning. Got the bag and it reminds me of the Swiss Haus bag you get when stopping in St. Maarten on cruises. Great for lugging some stuff in.

Was offered 30k points or $200 in resort credit. Will pass on that offer. If it was $200 in Visa or Amex gift cards would have signed up. Can't see us spending $200 on site here.

Update as chair hogs were out at 630 this morning. Watched them from my balcony. Good news is there is enforcement and staff is tagging chairs unattended for 1 hour. Staff have been removing items. Just saw and heard a lady screaming at him because here chair's are now gone. Feel sorry for the manager down there. He has been explaining to folks when they come looking for their items at the towel hut. Then he has to be calm and explain to them why their "items" were removed. Talk about the entitled mentality of these people. I have to admit, it is great people watching and listening to the rage of chair huggers.

Well time to go and pick up breakfast at Gazebos.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Arrived and saw concierge this morning. Got the bag and it reminds me of the Swiss Haus bag you get when stopping in St. Maarten on cruises. Great for lugging some stuff in.

Was offered 30k points or $200 in resort credit. Will pass on that offer. If it was $200 in Visa or Amex gift cards would have signed up. Can't see us spending $200 on site here.

Update as chair hogs were out at 630 this morning. Watched them from my balcony. Good news is there is enforcement and staff is taghing chairs unattended for I think 30 min or 1 hour. Staff have been removing items. Just saw and heard a lady screaming at him because here chair's are now gone. Feel sorry for the manager down there. He has been explaining to folks when they come looking for their items at the towel hut. Then he has to be calm and explain to them why their "items" were removed. Talk about the entitled mentality of these people. I have to admit, it is great people watching and listening to the rage of chair huggers.

Well time to go and pick up breakfast at Gazebos.

We were there earlier this month and didn't see any evidence they were doing any enforcement against the chair hogs, though I did have one other guest tell me they'd seen some. It was disgusting how people were continuing to hog chairs they didn't use all day long, despite the dramatically increased scarcity. One day there was a line of eight chairs that sat there with one item sitting on each chair. I occasionally saw people stop by to take something out of one of their bags, etc. Not once did I see anyone put a towel out on any of the chairs or sit in any of them, not even momentarily. They could just as easily have left their stuff in a corner somewhere, or around a single chair if they were just looking for a place to keep things.

If they'd find a way to deal with human selfishness, I'd buy another week at developer prices. :p

I was surprised and disappointed that they didn't have chairs set up on the large lawn area (especially at KORV-N), they could have accommodated many more (distanced) chairs that way, it seems like a wasted resource. Other resorts (like Marriott Maui Ocean Club) use their lawn areas for lounge chairs and the competition for chairs there is much less fierce.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frank, we usually spend some time early in the week walking to Whaler's Village. We stop by the booth at the Westin Hotel and sign up there. I have found the offer is better, but you have to start there rather than at WKORV. Actually this is convenient if staying at MOC, but not at WKORV. So, you may just be better off signing up at the resort. Just thought I would share.

Best regards.

Mike
Walked around Whalers village and to the Westin hotel just now. Did not see any booth on the beach or in he hotel. Do you know where the booth was located? Thanks

There was a booth to the left of Leilanis when walking from Whalers Village to Westin hotel on the beach walk. But it said DRI resorts.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We were only offered $125 for the Owner's Update at WKORV (first week), and $100 or 30K Bonvoy points at Nanea (second week). $200 might have made it more interesting to my DH, as it was rainy and cool during most of our stay. Anyhow, we didn't attend, so can't compare confusing notes!

On a chair note, I tried the chair thing at South for the first time at 6:30 AM one day to see how it worked because our daughter wanted to go swimming that day and could not find a chair the day before. Sat in my chair for 30 minutes every hour and didn't see a tag. Brought my breakfast down, coffee, a book, my phone. At 10:00, I decided to go to Safeway for food, so I texted my DH to have him come over to the chairs at 10:30. When he got there, the staff had already removed my items and told him that no one had been there for over an hour. Apparently they had tagged the chair up on the umbrella post at 9:30, but I didn't see it when I was sitting there from 9:30-10:00. I wasn't looking up. I saw tags on people's towels, not ever up high. Anyhow, that was the only time we tried to get a chair because I didn't want to play the game anymore. After that, we just went down at 4:00 or 5:00 and found one chair at North. Plenty of chairs when it was raining and cold, ha ha. And some open chairs on high volume check out days like Saturday.

We used to always travel there during Easter week or Presidents' Week, and could never find chairs anyway, so we would just put our stuff down on the grass near a tree.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stopped at concierge desk at WKORV and concierge offered same 30k MRP or $200 resort credit. I politely said no as we had no use for resort credit. She said she could give us $200 in Amex or Visa card instead. Looked at wife and she rolled her eyes so said sign me up.

They gave us another bag which was much nicer and made of a better material than the one I got this morning. This one is a thick canvas type bag. The earlier one will fall apart in a couple months. Here is a pic of the two. The one on the left is the better canvas bag.
b0c213e46d067a9fde0ff1217f22013a.jpg

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Walked around Whalers village and to the Westin hotel just now. Did not see any booth on the beach or in he hotel. Do you know where the booth was located? Thanks

There was a booth to the left of Leilanis when walking from Whalers Village to Westin hotel on the beach walk. But it said DRI resorts.

Hi Frank. I saw your other post with the picture of that nice bag. So, this info is tardy, but the Westin hotel used to have a "booth" in a decent sized building right off of the beach walk in front of the hotel. Glad it worked out for you at the resort. Enjoy the meeting. ;)

Best regards.

Mike

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Have it scheduled for 930m tomorrow. We have a whale watch tour at 12:15pm. This "update" paid for our whale watch tour so am happy. My wife is pretty much over it. I am really curious to see how they will spin a sale to me.

Like I mentioned it was a very low key sales at Grand Vista a couple months ago. At their main sales office there was really nothing they could sell me. Sales person gave up and brought in manager. His tactic was for me to purchase more points so I could stay in homes for longer. I just said why do I need more than a 1br or at most 2br for the 3 of us? He just said thanks for your time and turned us over to the encore person.

See you at MKO in a few months.