• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Trades

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

working on the 2013 ski trip.... Just contacted plat owners of Mountainside/Summitt looking for a trade with 2013 Platinum Waiohai for a ski week , early March 2013. Received replies from 2 interested parties!!! This sounds promising!!! Has anyone dealt with Ownertrades.com and had a positive trade experience...

I think it works best for equal trades!!! There are a bunch out there ,looking for serious uptrades!!!!

I think Waiohai for ski week is pretty close to fair!!! We shall see!!!

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with ownertrades.com

I was able to swap our Aruba Surf Club week for a week at Waiohai in 2009, it went very smoothly from my perspective. I'm hoping to do the same again in 2013 - so we can spend 2 full weeks at Waiohai (we own one week there). Sent out a note a few weeks ago but nothing promising yet - but it's still early!

Good luck!

Love2TS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently got a request first trade from II, exchanged platinum MCV to Park City in March of 2012. Confirmed in just 2 days!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be looking to add a second summer week in Hawaii (2BR). Do you guys think a 2BR at BeachPlace in February or March 2013 is an equal trade?

Recently got a request first trade from II, exchanged platinum MCV to Park City in March of 2012. Confirmed in just 2 days!

This is encouraging.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
We'll be looking to add a second summer week in Hawaii (2BR). Do you guys think a 2BR at BeachPlace in February or March 2013 is an equal trade?

This is encouraging.

Hi Terry, I own BeachPlace Platinum as well. If you go through II and put in a request a year out, you'll probably get it (depending when you want Hawaii). But I doubt you'd find a Hawaii owner willing to do a direct swap with you, though....JMHO.

-David

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry, I own BeachPlace Platinum as well. If you go through II and put in a request a year out, you'll probably get it (depending when you want Hawaii). But I doubt you'd find a Hawaii owner willing to do a direct swap with you, though....JMHO.

-David

Funny thing is prime BeachPlace rental prices are about the same as Hawaii now - slightly higher than island view and slightly lower than ocean view. Last year I rented my BeachPlace for $2000 and this year have only a 1BR listed for rent.

McFail

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the ownertrades thread I have been on the site off and on for many years now. Success is what you make of it. If you are proactive and willing to send out messages to prospective matches then my experience is that you have good results. A nice polite message to someone that owns where you want to go is a good start. I've made trades from people where I did not have what they specifically wanted but it was an equal trade.

I think an actual offer to people will cause them to consider the swap even though it may not be an exact match of what they are looking for.

You just need to be patient and may have to send a lot of emails to generate some responses.

Just remember that Ownertrades is just putting you in contact, you are basically making a contract directly with another owner so you need to make sure things are going to go correctly.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about Tug Classifieds. I found a fellow Tugger to trade with in 2009. The trade was a Starwood Hawaii for a Marriott Hawaii.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Definitely not an equal trade, but that does not mean that it is impossible. I would think your chances are better through II, however. Also, it is important to note that the 2BR's at Ko Olina, Kauai Beach Club and Maui Ocean Club can be locked off, so most owners not wanting to use their week will lock off and deposit them to get two weeks. Getting a 1BR in Hawaii is a lot easier than getting a 2 BR.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many good exchanges

Hi

working on the 2013 ski trip.... Just contacted plat owners of Mountainside/Summitt looking for a trade with 2013 Platinum Waiohai for a ski week , early March 2013. Received replies from 2 interested parties!!! This sounds promising!!! Has anyone dealt with Ownertrades.com and had a positive trade experience...

I think it works best for equal trades!!! There are a bunch out there ,looking for serious uptrades!!!!

I think Waiohai for ski week is pretty close to fair!!! We shall see!!![/QUOTE

We have had 5-6 good exchanges thru OwnerTrades: Phuket, Boston, Marbella -- to name a few.

dmorea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ownertrades

I too had a great exchange through ownertrades. Its a great concept.

They are in the midst of a site renewal though and need users to reenter their info to the new site. I am just guessing that alot of people wont do this and the minimal cost of $14 will put many off . Right now theres hardly anything in the new database though you can still access the old.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
To reiterate what Terry said- don't forget the direct trade classified ads here on Tug- they have the added advantage of not only Marriott-Marriott trades.

I think the trades work best when the parties aren't so focused on getting a great deal (as in relative value). Of course I'm not suggesting an off season week is a fair exchange for a prime week. But if each party gets what they want when they want to go, it doesn't really matter if one week has a little higher trade value than the other, at least imho.

For example, if someone really wanted a President's week or Spring break week in Ft. Lauderdale, Terry's Beachplace unit might give them the vacation they are looking for and giving up a summer Hawaii unit may be a great exchange for both parties. If you focus too much on the dollars and cents value you might lose out on great exchange opportunities that will provide both parties with the vacations they really want.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed, rather then try to match on 'value', I would prefer to get the exchange done with first so I can none in the the rest of the trip planning, such as car rental, air tix, etc. this approach has worked for me the best.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
...I think the trades work best when the parties aren't so focused on getting a great deal (as in relative value). ... If you focus too much on the dollars and cents value you might lose out on great exchange opportunities that will provide both parties with the vacations they really want.

I couldn't agree more.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
I too had a great exchange through ownertrades. Its a great concept.

They are in the midst of a site renewal though and need users to reenter their info to the new site. I am just guessing that alot of people wont do this and the minimal cost of $14 will put many off . Right now theres hardly anything in the new database though you can still access the old.

Just to correct a possible misconception: One does not have to pay all $14. The free exchange membership still exists, the only cost for that is the one-time $2 account setup fee.

It's only $14 when one adds the paid exchange membership ($12 for 12 months access to the search engines), and exchanges themselves are still free.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

For example, if someone really wanted a President's week or Spring break week in Ft. Lauderdale, Terry's Beachplace unit might give them the vacation they are looking for and giving up a summer Hawaii (or Aruba) unit may be a great exchange for both parties. If you focus too much on the dollars and cents value you might lose out on great exchange opportunities that will provide both parties with the vacations they really want.

hahaha :) :wave: