• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Overlapping RCI reservations can't be in same name?

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today Wyndham flagged me for having three overlapping RCI reservations in the same name. The email said I needed to call RCI and put a different name on each one.

The two RCI reps I talked to were both baffled why I would need this.

I'm aware Wyndham has been cracking down on overlapping reservations within its own system, but I hadn't encountered this before with RCI. Has anyone else experienced this?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
They are just evil.

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reservations are at a Wyndham resort.

Do you suppose they're treating ALL reservations at Wyndham resorts this way, regardless of whether you come in through Wyndham points, RCI exchange, Extra Holidays, Armed Forces Vacation Club, cash customer, etc.?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We had no trouble with overlapping RCI reservations the few times we made them. (Maybe that's because they were straight RCI reservations & had no Wyndham involvement, I don't know -- although the 2BR reservation was at Club Wyndham Star Island).

Recently I've been using RCI's online "chat" feature to ask questions, make requests, renew our membership, etc., including making sure the RCI person understands our overlapping reservation are intentional, not accidental.

Why overlapping reservations ?

Most recently, after we snagged a 2BR unit that sleeps 8 ( -- 10 by actual bed count, but 8 according to the RCI website -- ), we decided to reserve a separate 1BR unit not far away just in case. That turned out to be a good move, because it turned out that we filled up our 2BR unit with 8 kids + 2 moms, leaving no room in the 2BR unit for The Chief Of Staff & me. No problem. We just trundled on down to the other timeshare & had plenty of room for ourselves.

A few Januaries ago, we reserved a unit for our nephew & family that overlapped our own reservation at the same timeshare by 1 day. Both reservations were in our name. The front desk naturally assumed we were extending our own reservation, & had us down for 1 unit for entire period covered by the partly-overlapping times. We were physically present to check in for both separate reservations, ours & our nephew's, so there was no need for a guest certificate -- we just checked ourselves in for the later reservation & handed the key-cards to our nephew.

When we showed up earlier, 6 days before our nephew got there, we made sure the front desk person who checked us in understood, & went on our way assuming all was well. But when nephew & family showed up, their reservation had again been added to ours & changed back to 1 long period of time.

With us leaving & our nephew arriving, we had to have 2 units for the overlapping night. We had 2 separate reservations, so getting 2 separate units should not have been a problem. When we explained the situation, the front desk people caught on immediately & got us all squared away. But we had to explain it when we checked in & then re-explain when nephew was checking in before the resort got it right.

It was a resort reservation glitch, & not an RCI problem. And the resort took care of it -- twice -- when we explained the method to our madness.

All's well that ends well.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our case, the reservations overlapped from start to finish — three units for the same dates at the same location.

I went ahead and put different names on the reservations. But I do wonder what would've happened if I showed up at the resort without doing this.

Would Wyndham have refused to let us check in, despite confirmed reservations from RCI? As far as RCI was concerned, it was fine for all the reservations to be in one name, and I could've checked into all three reservations.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Wyndham has specifically had the explanation in the urgent info in rci for at least the last 8 months. Vidanta is the only other company that specifies concurrent reservations need a guest cert.

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has specifically had the explanation in the urgent info in rci for at least the last 8 months. Vidanta is the only other company that specifies concurrent reservations need a guest cert.
Thanks for the info. I had not seen this, and I wonder if Wyndham + RCI have been inconsistent in showing it. I couldn't find it in the urgent info for the resort where I have these reservations.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks for the info. I had not seen this, and I wonder if Wyndham + RCI have been inconsistent in showing it. I couldn't find it in the urgent info for the resort where I have these reservations.
I saw it on one the Smoky Mountain Resort when I booked around November of last year for summer 2021. It's still there. I just checked the other wyndham resorts in Tennessee and it isn't listed in the urgent info for any of the others.
Other Urgent Information

RESORT RULES MANDATE THAT EVERY ROOM IS REGISTERED UNDER A DIFERENT NAME. PLEASE CONTACT RCI, IF MULTIPLE UNITS HAVE BEEN BOOKED. A GUEST CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH CONFIRMATION TO ASSIGN ROOM NAMES.

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it on one the Smoky Mountain Resort when I booked around November of last year for summer 2021. It's still there. I just checked the other wyndham resorts in Tennessee and it isn't listed in the urgent info for any of the others.
Thanks! I can see it on Wyndham Smoky Mountains too, but nowhere else in a spot-check of 15-20 other Wyndham locations. If they're going to enforce this, they should do a better job of notifying people.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Actually, the latest update to the Vidanta restrictions in RCI prohibits guest certificates as a part of instituting 1 in 4. I think it’s to avoid folks skirting that by having someone else make the reservation.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, the latest update to the Vidanta restrictions in RCI prohibits guest certificates as a part of instituting 1 in 4. I think it’s to avoid folks skirting that by having someone else make the reservation.
I haven't looked lately. They used to specify that if you had a concurrent reservation, the second one had to have a guest cert.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score

Has Vidanta implemented that policy recently? I had two Grand Luxxe NV reservations (using II exchanges) that overlapped by one day in 2018 without any issues. Under current Vidanta policy would overlapping by one day count as concurrent reservations, and thus require a guest certificate?

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
While we were checking in to the Smoky Mountain Resort 10/22/21, there was a group next to us having trouble checking in because their two reservations were in the same name. The resort seems to be enforcing this.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We had no problem with Interval having two overlapping get a ways last week in Martha's Vineyard. So this may just be a RCI / Wyndham thing.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had no problem with Interval having two overlapping get a ways last week in Martha's Vineyard. So this may just be a RCI / Wyndham thing.
It is a policy specifically at (some) Wyndham-managed resorts. They are very particular about not having two units with the same lead guest name. FWIW, DVC does this too.