• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

outrageous TX toll roads!

planzfortomorrow

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I've heard some others talking about toll road prices in Texas & just sort of shrugged them off. But for New Years, we drove to San Antonio & I happened to use one of their toll roads. From 5:06 pm to the final 5:49 pm time (so slightly less than 1 hour travel time, maybe 85-100 miles total) the charges came to $19.23. Plus a mailing fee of $1.15.

Wow!!! They had 6 charging stations that I passed about every 10 minutes & each pass was $2.35. If I would have realize it was going to be that much EVERY 10 miles, I would have exited the toll roads. I think I saw the prices, but thought that was for the ENTIRE stretch of road, not every 7 - 10 minutes...

Thankfully I went a different way home, and I won't be making that mistake again

Any other states have toll roads that high? Ok (my home state) is bad, but not quite THAT bad.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Its time or fees. pay with one or the other.

it really depends on time of day, sometimes the toll is the only way to make it from A to B in a timely fashion.

Were you taking the Austin Bypass? Or which toll did you hit?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Any other states have toll roads that high? Ok (my home state) is bad, but not quite THAT bad.

Tolls for New York City tunnels and bridges are pretty high. I think the highest I've seen is $17... and that's just to cross a bridge or go thru a tunnel. Driving from MD to NYC could run you $40+ in tolls... one way. Rates are lower when using an ez pass. Also pricy tolls within the city to travel from one burrough to another (eg Manhattan to Brooklyn was $5+ with EZpass... I think that was each way)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Colorado has a 13 mile section of eastbound I-70 that can be up to $40 at peak times.

Not sure if I've heard of any other non-bridge/tunnel toll road that high (over $3/mile!).

Kurt

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Over on the Eastern States Timesharing forum, there's a string about the HOV Toll lanes on I-66 inside the Capital Beltway in Northern Virginia. It's a nine mile stretch and the highest toll I've heard of was $40. (WTOP, the local news, traffic, weather station reports on the tolls when they get extreme.)

Correction: According to one website, at 8:30 AM on Wednesday, January 24, the toll for nine miles hit $46.75.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I am retired! Now I have the time to take the slower free routes for the most part. :) Denver Airport drive as I recall was fairly expensive. NY was indeed pretty bad too. Oklahoma has a lot of toll roads since I live there also, used to live around Tulsa (Bixby). Seemed like most roads into and out of there were toll roads. Dallas area has quite a few, but, there are other ways around for the most part and I rarely take them. We pay one way or another I guess.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I spend a lot of time in Dallas. There, at least, you can avoid the toll roads. Sometimes it costs you some time but other places the travel time is not significantly impacted. I set my GPS to avoid tolls and just check the toll alternatives when the routing seems too odd.

It is definitely a lot better than Florida where you often have to way to avoid a toll, or some of the high priced tolls mentioned above in NY and NJ.

Sheila

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It almost makes flying seem like the preferred way to travel.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
It almost makes flying seem like the preferred way to travel.
Or, when heading to NYC from the DMV area, Amtrak is my preferred mode of transportation.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in Dallas. There, at least, you can avoid the toll roads. Sometimes it costs you some time but other places the travel time is not significantly impacted.

I live in the DFW area and use the toll roads when they work best for me and avoid them other times. I have no problem with them. If we didn't have the toll roads, the State would raise the gas tax which would only affect those of us who drive gasoline and diesel powered cars. Those driving the electrics would get a free ride.

George

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in the DFW area and use the toll roads when they work best for me and avoid them other times. I have no problem with them. If we didn't have the toll roads, the State would raise the gas tax which would only affect those of us who drive gasoline and diesel powered cars. Those driving the electrics would get a free ride.

George
Here, though toll roads are not an issue, the state has issued a $75 per year license surcharge on electric cars in lieu of road use taxes. I can see variations on this theme becoming normal ways of highway funding as electric cars become more prevalent.