• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Outdoor yard tools....new and improved

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually work with the philosophy of use it until it dies, try to fix it and then buy new when all hope is lost. BUT....we recently bought a battery powered weed whacker and love it. No more gas and pulling the string to get it started. They have all sorts of things that run like this now and I think worth looking into. But, first, the one I am researching now are power washers. I don't use mine for much, quick cleans of our decking, walkways, side of the house when needed.....but it is such a chore brining out all the electrical cords and hoses.

So...what new and improved things have you bought to make yard chores easier?

geekette

Reaction score
I got the E Go battery self propelled mower and trimmer. Yes, LOVE THEM. Would like to eventually collect the whole set!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Battery powered weed whacker (with an edge trimmer attachment) and a leaf blower have been great, and so much easier than dealing with a 2-cycle engine, mixing oil and gas, etc. I no longer need to have a separate gas can for those. About 7 years ago I bought a good Honda self-propelled lawn mower (the battery powered mowers at the time could not have handled my lawn), and given how long Honda motors tend to last, I don't think I'll be going the route of a battery powered mower for several more years.

Kurt

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I bought a battery powered mower this year. The yard was always my husband's domain...now that he's not around, I needed to be able to mow. My back is such that I can't pull on the cord of a gas mower. I figured out the riding mower at last, and use it for most of the yard, and I use the battery one for trim work. (It's a Greenworks.) I'm thinking I need either a weedwhacker or a chainsaw by the same brand.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you can afford it try get a 90 Volt Battery System. Costco had a Weed Wacker and Leaf blower with 2 batteries for $400. A back up Battery can cost as much as the original tool and battery. I looked at battery operated leaf blower at Lowe for $149.95. An extra battery by itself was $145.00

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
A friend swears by her automatic mower...it’s like a mowing Roomba for your lawn.

Personally, I have a battery powered chain saw on my wish list. The electric corded one didn’t do much good during the power outage when I needed it (trees down). I love cutting things!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
You need a Dual Fuel Generator. Also have a connection to your house electrical system installed so you can plug the generator into your house.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I need to replace my old electric weed whacker by Black and Decker.
What is the name of the battery powered weed whacker , you purchased?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought Ryobi which is on the lower end of the price spectrum, but haven't had any issues. I have the weed eater and the blower. The blower uses a lot of battery life on "turbo". I have two 40v batteries so I can always charge one while the other is in use. I am going to buy the mower next. I want to get the chainsaw, but it's a little pricy. I also use the cordless power tools like the drill/driver, circular saw, etc. So much better than gas/cord.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I need to replace my old electric weed whacker by Black and Decker.
What is the name of the battery powered weed whacker , you purchased?

Kobalt Model: 140xb-06 80 volt

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a kobalt mower last year. Its great. We have an acre with large beds so the lawn is broken into sections. One is the back yard hill. Mower with power assist does fine.

We had yard service for nearly 30 years. They would come when yard was wet and their mowers got bigger and bigger. They were compacting the shaded areas. Sometimes DH breaks mowing into 2 or 3 days or just does front and side in morning and backyard later.

I have several Ryobi battery tools for maintenance and bought more for church garden and DD/SIL. They are great for my limited arm strength. I never could do pull cords.

geekette

Reaction score
We got a kobalt mower last year. Its great. We have an acre with large beds so the lawn is broken into sections. One is the back yard hill. Mower with power assist does fine.

We had yard service for nearly 30 years. They would come when yard was wet and their mowers got bigger and bigger. They were compacting the shaded areas. Sometimes DH breaks mowing into 2 or 3 days or just does front and side in morning and backyard later.

I have several Ryobi battery tools for maintenance and bought more for church garden and DD/SIL. They are great for my limited arm strength. I never could do pull cords.
Thank you - I am also a section mower, glad to know I'm not the only one! My battery mower will do most of the front or most of the back with one charge. The higher the grass, the higher the speed, the less I can get through.

I will not mow wet grass. I get heavy dew, so there is no early mowing for me, even tho this is a very quiet mower (yay). Grew up with a next door neighbor that fired up his mower every Sunday at 7 am. I would not do that to anyone.

Too many days past 90, I am almost exclusively shade mowing. Nobody can see the back yard, so I keep the front up and deal with the back as I get to it.

Pull cords an issue for me, too. The other push mower requires someone with much longer arms than I have, but sometimes I could get it by shoving the mower away from me as I try to pull the cord. It would exhaust me to get the damned thing going. I hope some day that people 5'5" and under get some consideration. We do chores and drive cars and sit on couches, too! Many trimmers are almost as tall as I am. True of the E Go. The strap is what makes that usable for me, I can position for leverage.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
have the kobalt 80v system myself. chainsaw, pole saw, and leaf blower.

could not be happier with any of them...wont ever deal with mixing gas or a clogged up carb again for items that sit for long times!