• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our Survey: What Should We Buy?

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am waiting for an 8k point WorldMark to transfer and trying to decide if I should keep looking for more WorldMark points and/or pick another system as well - or just chill out and actually use WorldMark before I add more.

Main objective: Several 2-3 night weekend stays in the western US. Plus 1-2 longer trips per year. Summer 2024 maybe Washington DC and/or New York City. Must accommodate 5 people. Weekend stays can be planned long in advance, but, we are also happy with taking last minute unused space for a weekend.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where? Colorado, Wyoming (plus ID and MT around Yellowstone), Black Hills in South Dakota, northern New Mexico, eastern Utah.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade more than half, not interested in going to the same place more than once every 2-3 years.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
I'm thinking Washington DC and New York City as future trips, maybe one or both of those summer 2024. We like seeing new things so I am interested in programs with lots of choices.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
School schedule - but happy to skip school on a Friday for a weekend trip.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Usually.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes. I rarely spend a full week in one stop at a time though. I am interested in several weekends per year plus 1 or 2 longer stays per year.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
I am more interested in beds for 5 people than the quality of the resort. 2?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
I would like to keep this low, but, if there is a recommendation with upfront costs that would otherwise be great, I'll consider it. I spent $15 on the t-shirt that says "I paid more for this t-shirt than my timeshare" and it would be a shame to invalidate that statement :D

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
I am mostly interested in the value of nights. Can I get a bigger room for the same or less than a hotel? So, my calculation will be less about the annual fee and more about the annual fee divided by the nights I get and compared to the cost of renting something else.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes --- And I am interested in timeshares that are not impossible to get rid of. So, a deed buyback program, some movement in the resale sector, etc. are important.

jasontugaccount

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I am not getting any bites, maybe I will ask what I am really wondering:
  • What timeshare companies that allow short stays exist in Colorado, Wyoming (plus ID and MT around Yellowstone), Black Hills in South Dakota, northern New Mexico, and/or eastern Utah?
  • What timeshare companies exist in Washington DC Metro and New York City -also ideally not requiring exact weeks?
Are there trading networks or brands that are better for these? I can research from there, but, I am looking for a starting place.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
  • What timeshare companies that allow short stays exist in Colorado, Wyoming (plus ID and MT around Yellowstone), Black Hills in South Dakota, northern New Mexico, and/or eastern Utah?
  • What timeshare companies exist in Washington DC Metro and New York City -also ideally not requiring exact weeks?
There is very little in any of these places. I only see Interval inventory, and there is nothing at all a convenient distance from Yellowstone. There is precious little in New York. And nothing at all in South Dakota or DC.

I'd stick with what you have and use AirBnB.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there trading networks or brands that are better for these? I can research from there, but, I am looking for a starting place.
There are just not many timeshare resorts in the areas you are looking for. That, combined with your stated desire to take several 2-and 3 night stays, might run up the cost of stays- some systems require a 'housekeeping fee' on stays less than 7 days.

Timesharing is mostly geared toward one week stays in resort areas. Get too far off the beaten track, and need additional services, and availability will be less.

As Scoop suggested, AirBnB or VRBO might be your friend on your search.

Jim

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Midtown 45, Santa Barbara, Avenue Plaza
WorldMark has a nice resort right outside the gates of Yellowstone and lots in the West. Just stayed at Seaside Oregon. Part of Wyndham but Wyndham owners have to go thru Club Pass for a fee to book at a Worldmark resort. Wyndham has some nice resorts in big cities, NYC, (Midtown 45) two in WA DC area. (Alexandria closer, or National Harbor, you can ride the train in) Seattle (Worldmark), Portland, San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Antonio, Nashville., Vancouver & Victoria BC (Worldmark) Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Florida has lots of resorts but mostly in resort areas. Oddly none in Miami or KeyWest. Couple in Honolulu but in Waikiki vs downtown. See map. https://clubwyndham.wyndhamdestinations.com/us/en/resorts/resort-search-results
Had Marriott once, nice resorts but had to go thru II to get anything else for a fee, not as extensive an inventory as Wyndham. Wyndham system, unless using a Worldmark, has no fee; you can book any resort in their system with Advanced reservation priority at your home resort. They do have a couple affiliates in Mexico and overseas. Used to own one of the Mexico ones. Good program. Have looked at Hilton in the past but did not buy because we had enough Wyndham. I’ve been happy with Wyndham. They’re always adding more. Shell inventory just got added. I hope this helps.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Worldmark does not have a Home Resort. All Worldmark Accounts have full access to the 90+ Worldmark Resorts (Fiji, several in Mexico, several in Hawaii, several in Western Canada, most in the Lower 48). With only 8,000 Worldmark Credits/Points it will be very hard to take the vacations you have listed. With 8,000 Credits you will only have 1 free Housekeeping. Worldmark Bookings of less than 7 days can only be made at less than 10 months before checkin. Worldmark does have 3 cash options that includes the Housekeeping charge - Bonus Time (very short fuse), Monday Madness, and Inventory Specials (many mid week but does include some weekends). Resell Worldmark Accounts can not use Club Pass to Book Wyndham Resorts. To trade through II or RCI you will have to join (another fee) and there is a Trade Fee when you make a trade.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Worldmark. Highly recommended. Yep, you are waiting for your freebie 8K credits contract. :)
2) Marriott Vacation Club points. Uber expensive to buy but offers you the flexibility of booking 1+ night and they have locations in DC and NYC. Resale points is about $3.50 to $4 + $3 (junk fees charged by MVC). You will need about 4K points to get a week in a 2BR at most resorts. Let's say you go with 3K point, and now you are looking to pay $19,500 in the resale market. Not cheap but very flexible.