• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our recent experience with Covid & Covid testing

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't visit this forum regularily, but thought to share our recent experience with Covid and at home testing.

We returned from WDW on a Friday night.
Saturday, DD 16 started with cold like symptoms and tired. She tested negative.
Sunday morning was worse, still tested negative.
Monday morning, now coughing alot and very congested, tested for the 3rd time/day and was now showing positve - took 2 days from onset of symptoms.

On Tuesday morning I didn't feel right, body aches. Took a test, negative.
By Tuesday evening, so tired....took another, positive.

On Monday, my mother (who was also traveling with us) tested because of exposure - she was positive, just tired.

Moral of the story, one negative test doesn't mean you don't have Covid, retesting may be warranted.

Other:
I had purposely held off to get my booster until 3 weeks before the trip. Of course, it was the one that wasn't picking up this new variant.
My mother, went to Doc and they gave her monoclonal antibodies treatment, she was feeling back to normal in a couple of days.
Me and the kid, we still have lingering coughs 3 weeks later.

Husband, who wanted to get a booster before the trip, but never got around to it, tested daily (had to for work) and never got it, but we did keep our distance from him for the week.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I don't visit this forum regularily, but thought to share our recent experience with Covid and at home testing.

We returned from WDW on a Friday night.
Saturday, DD 16 started with cold like symptoms and tired. She tested negative.
Sunday morning was worse, still tested negative.
Monday morning, now coughing alot and very congested, tested for the 3rd time/day and was now showing positve - took 2 days from onset of symptoms.

On Tuesday morning I didn't feel right, body aches. Took a test, negative.
By Tuesday evening, so tired....took another, positive.

On Monday, my mother (who was also traveling with us) tested because of exposure - she was positive, just tired.

Moral of the story, one negative test doesn't mean you don't have Covid, retesting may be warranted.

Other:
I had purposely held off to get my booster until 3 weeks before the trip. Of course, it was the one that wasn't picking up this new variant.
My mother, went to Doc and they gave her monoclonal antibodies treatment, she was feeling back to normal in a couple of days.
Me and the kid, we still have lingering coughs 3 weeks later.

Husband, who wanted to get a booster before the trip, but never got around to it, tested daily (had to for work) and never got it, but we did keep our distance from him for the week.

Thanks for posting this. We did multiple tests when my younger daughter came down with asymptomatic Covid. We did multiple tests for my older daughter and she was negative. My husband and I also tested and we were negative.

Now when we have any symptoms at all, we test. Sometimes we repeat it but many times we don’t because it always comes out negative except for the one time my younger daughter was asymptomatic.

We only knew because she and my older daughter were supposed to go to a camp last summer and they required testing. Even though my older daughter was negative, they did not let her go because my younger daughter was positive. I understand the rationale but I thought it was unfair. The reason is because they let all the other kids go without testing their siblings and family members who are not attending.

I almost did not let my younger daughter go because she had been acting out. The week before the camp started, I registered her. If I had not registered her, my older daughter would have been able to go because they were not requiring tests of siblings and family members. So I bet there were many kids attending who were negative but had family members who had not tested and were positive.

Things happen for a reason. Two days after the camp started, there was a wildfire nearby and they had to evacuate. So I am glad my girls did not attend.

My daughter caught COVID either in the resort in St Thomas or on the flight home. My daughters both had the first 2 vaccines. My husband and I had the first 2 vaccines and the 2 boosters. I was really angry when we got home and learned the booster was already available for kids over 5. If we had known, we would have gotten their boosters before we left. Possibly my younger daughter would not have gotten Covid then.

Communication to parents about the booster for kids has been very poor. So maybe the government needs to be blamed for the low vaccination rates among children that is posted in another thread. Like everything else with Covid, the communication has been awful but especially poor to parents of young children under 12.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When my spouse caught it again in late July, with mild symptoms, he tested negative at home three times over five days. He then test positive on a rapid molecular lab test after the worst of his symptoms had resolved—significantly disrupting already complicated travel plans.

The moral of the story? If you are symptomatic And test negative at home, always follow-up with a lab test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Reportedly, antigen tests are prone to false negatives. Our was.
We followed up with a PCR test (via Walgreens) and were positive.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
And if your antigen test is positive, you can pretty much count on being positive. It's the false negative's you need to follow up on.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A co-worker stayed home all last week bc her daughter had covid. She had symptoms too but tested negative. Now she’s fine but testing positive, so gets to stay home another week.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
A co-worker stayed home all last week bc her daughter had covid. She had symptoms too but tested negative. Now she’s fine but testing positive, so gets to stay home another week.
Wait, what? That's ridiculous.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My daughter that is a hospitalist could go to work masked as long as she was negative (when my grandson was positive). However once she was positive (the whole family was within a week), she had to 1) stay home and 2) retest at 5 days. If negative at 5 days, she could have gone back masked. If positive, she had to stay home another 5 days before returning. Thus she was out for 10 days. She does not get sick pay (noted for those who think these doctors are raking in the dough thanks to covid).

I think the hospital rules are usually good to go by. Albeit they may be slower to react to new guidelines, both directions, they seem to land on common sense and practicality.

My daughters thoughts in general, strictly speaking about the rapid antigen tests, if you are positive, regardless of what day it is, stay away from others. If you are testing positive, you are likely still shedding the virus (albeit likely less as the days go on, but still you are). That said, she did not make the kids keep testing, unless they wanted to do something around others. A little heart-breaking my granddaughter wanted to play with neighbor kids so my daughter said she could test if she wanted (and unfortunately she was still positive).

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Once we got a positive PCR result, DW and I retested about every 5 days - always with a pharmacy PCR test. For fun, we added a few home-antigen tests. They turned positive after the first PCR result.

Our symptoms cleared in about 10 days, but it took 20 days to get a negative result.
The CDC says it can take 3 months, even though you may be fully recovered.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Once we got a positive PCR result, DW and I retested about every 5 days - always with a pharmacy PCR test. For fun, we added a few home-antigen tests. They turned positive after the first PCR result.

Our symptoms cleared in about 10 days, but it took 20 days to get a negative result.
We played with them, too. Once my rapid was positive, it was positive for 11 days. Once my (at home) rapid went negative, I did a rapid with PCR backup at a testing center. The rapid was negative (just like the at home), the PCR was positive. I didn't test anymore.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

This kind of makes it difficult to stay home as long as you have positive tests, since most people don't get paid sick days for extended periods of time. If someone doesn't have symptoms, it is highly unlikely they will spread Covid since they won't be coughing or sneezing. Masking should be sufficient once symptoms subside, especially with the milder new varieties. These policies are reasons why a lot of people never test for Covid and just assume it is a cold or flu.