• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our Offer was Accepted --- Now I need some Help & Hints for a Home Makover

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I also think that was a wise decision. And glad you talked to an honest neighbor. We also walked away from a great deal on a house that had synthetic stucco with water intrusion issues--we did some research and even talked to their stucco inspector who told us that he found issues at every place he put a probe (and said you can't probe every inch--those were selected examples) and told us it was a problem and $50-80K if we needed to pull all the stucco off. Sellers were going to "fix" only the areas he put a probe. DH used a temp meter and from that could see probable water intrusion under many windows. We walked away. The realtor, to her credit, did tell the next buyers about "a stucco issue." They thought stucco was "no big deal"--I don't think they understood it was synthetic.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I also think that was a wise decision. And glad you talked to an honest neighbor. We also walked away from a great deal on a house that had synthetic stucco with water intrusion issues--we did some research and even talked to their stucco inspector who told us that he found issues at every place he put a probe (and said you can't probe every inch--those were selected examples) and told us it was a problem and $50-80K if we needed to pull all the stucco off. Sellers were going to "fix" only the areas he put a probe. DH used a temp meter and from that could see probable water intrusion under many windows. We walked away. The realtor, to her credit, did tell the next buyers about "a stucco issue." They thought stucco was "no big deal"--I don't think they understood it was synthetic.

Elaine, thanks again for all your help... It really helped us with our decision...

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
best wishes--I know you posted with just "where to start with renos on dream house"--and sometimes it's very hard to walk away. but I definitely would have walked after I learned about the burst pipes as well. good luck!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
best wishes--I know you posted with just "where to start with renos on dream house"--and sometimes it's very hard to walk away. but I definitely would have walked after I learned about the burst pipes as well. good luck!

I'm really bummed because I really liked the neighbors and they were so helpful and sweet....

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I'm really bummed because I really liked the neighbors and they were so helpful and sweet....
Wow! That bathroom thing. You really did dodge a bullet. The sellers were the kind of people I would not want to buy a home from.

I bought my current home FSBO without an inspection. Loved the owners, but they were very careful not to provide me with any contact information, like a forwarding address for their mail. I get a little giggle now and then when I realize there were some things that went, um, unnoticed by me because frankly, they covered it up. Nothing big. I paid the right price and I will come out ahead when I sell.

Regarding the lovely neighbors who you made a connection with: may I suggest you write a note and attach it to a little plant or something and thank them? Include your contact info and urge them to contact you if they hear of anyone else selling?

Years ago, I sat in the driveway of a home with a SOLD sign in the front yard after church and decided, yup! This is what I need to do. I need to buy a home in this neighborhood. Lots of twists and turns, but 9 months later I was the owner of that exact home! It went back on the market. The couple who bought it were transferred but had done some improvements inside in the meantime. It could not have worked out better for me :) That's why I always say RE is serendipitous.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Mold was not disclosed on the disclosure we signed off on. However I believe they knew and choose not to disclose, because when we talked to the next door neighbors they told us the water pipes in both bathrooms exploded last year around November and the neighbors had to call the owners to tell them the water was pouring out of their house. The neighbor told me that the owner did all the work themselves and our inspector found that the toilet was loose in one of the bathrooms, so they did a shoddy job on re doing the bathrooms after the pipes burst.
I felt badly for the sellers until I read this.

With sellers like that, there would have been other problems.

You dodged a bullet.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! That bathroom thing. You really did dodge a bullet. The sellers were the kind of people I would not want to buy a home from.

I bought my current home FSBO without an inspection. Loved the owners, but they were very careful not to provide me with any contact information, like a forwarding address for their mail. I get a little giggle now and then when I realize there were some things that went, um, unnoticed by me because frankly, they covered it up. Nothing big. I paid the right price and I will come out ahead when I sell.

Regarding the lovely neighbors who you made a connection with: may I suggest you write a note and attach it to a little plant or something and thank them? Include your contact info and urge them to contact you if they hear of anyone else selling?

Years ago, I sat in the driveway of a home with a SOLD sign in the front yard after church and decided, yup! This is what I need to do. I need to buy a home in this neighborhood. Lots of twists and turns, but 9 months later I was the owner of that exact home! It went back on the market. The couple who bought it were transferred but had done some improvements inside in the meantime. It could not have worked out better for me :) That's why I always say RE is serendipitous.

Snazzy, that is a really great idea... I think I will buy a nice plant and drive it out to them... They really helped us out and I'm so bummed that they will not be our neighbors...

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@Sugarcubesea, I am sorry to hear this news, but on the whole, it makes me question what else the Sellers know and aren't talking about. If they truly had burst pipes and water gushing from the house last year, what sort of mold is growing inside the walls, or under the flooring? Who's to say that if you'd gone forward and tried refinishing the flooring, what would you find there? What would you find in the walls behind all that paneling? If there is no ventilation in the attic, to the point that mold was so prevalent in the attic, what's working its way down all the exterior walls, or growing up behind the sheetrock or wood paneling from the wet flooring from the burst pipe situation? Mold can be insidious, and the cause of it can be from a number of sources. And that just the mold. What else does the house have going wrong with it?

All in, walking away was probably the best option, disappointing as that is. If you were only planning to stay in this home 7-8 years till retirement, fixing all those issues would add up to more than the money involved, in return for the intangible benefits of living on the water. When you weigh things out, it likely wouldn't be worth it, because you'd live every day wondering what else was going wrong with the house. would you be waiting for the other shoe to drop, and the next disaster? I think you would. How could you truly relax there if you were waiting for the next issue to raise its head?

Please update this thread with future developments, particularly if the house is relisted, and what your RE Agent learns. My guess is these Sellers just want to be done with this house, because it's becoming their own money pit. Your research is worthwhile, and could help the next Buyer dodge their own bullet.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Sugarcubesea, I am sorry to hear this news, but on the whole, it makes me question what else the Sellers know and aren't talking about. If they truly had burst pipes and water gushing from the house last year, what sort of mold is growing inside the walls, or under the flooring? Who's to say that if you'd gone forward and tried refinishing the flooring, what would you find there? What would you find in the walls behind all that paneling? If there is no ventilation in the attic, to the point that mold was so prevalent in the attic, what's working its way down all the exterior walls, or growing up behind the sheetrock or wood paneling from the wet flooring from the burst pipe situation? Mold can be insidious, and the cause of it can be from a number of sources. And that just the mold. What else does the house have going wrong with it?

All in, walking away was probably the best option, disappointing as that is. If you were only planning to stay in this home 7-8 years till retirement, fixing all those issues would add up to more than the money involved, in return for the intangible benefits of living on the water. When you weigh things out, it likely wouldn't be worth it, because you'd live every day wondering what else was going wrong with the house. would you be waiting for the other shoe to drop, and the next disaster? I think you would. How could you truly relax there if you were waiting for the next issue to raise its head?

Please update this thread with future developments, particularly if the house is relisted, and what your RE Agent learns. My guess is these Sellers just want to be done with this house, because it's becoming their own money pit. Your research is worthwhile, and could help the next Buyer dodge their own bullet.

Dave
With a house like that, there is only one way to fix all the issues, which is to tear it down and rebuild it. The sale price of the home should simply be for the price of the lot. I would not touch this home at all.