• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our MVC purchase ... and cancellation.

MTnest

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I spent 10 days in Maui (Kapalua) over Christmas with our three adult children. As a time killer (waiting for our 10pm flight), we enjoyed the MVC presentation at Maui Ocean Club. They worked-up a dream package of 7500 points, purchased at $10.18 per point ($11.96 less 15%). As additional incentives, we were to receive 1) 7500 additional points into our account (one-time, 2-year expiration), 2) 500,000 Marriott Rewards points, and 3) Marriott Rewards elite gold status for 3 years.

I was uncomfortably unfamiliar with the timeshare game, but their unconditional 10-day cancellation policy was enough to get us to sign. We flew home to Montana and I jumped on the internet. I discovered TUG and schooled-up.

After reading many posts here, I was convinced to cancel our purchase and I did so a few days ago by mailing a Notice of Cancellation to MOC and Marriott HQ in Orlando, FL. So, now the heat is off with Marriott.

Instead, I will be looking to join MVC via a re-sale purchase of 1500 points, and rent the additional points necessary for the vacations we desire. We like the flexibility of a points system, and we like the location and quality of the Marriott resorts, so we’ll likely go with MVC. Any specific recommendations on the safest/surest way to go about it would be much appreciated?

Thanks to all who posted here and unknowingly helped us in our decision.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you made great decision to cancel. Welcome to tug. If you want to try before you buy, you can rent a reservation from a point owner.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

MT nest where do your travel needs take you.... please remember that MVC points isn't Disney.. where everything is open at 11 and 7 months... This is apoint system overlayed on a mature weeks system. IOW, points are not a direct reservation system, but chips in an exchange system. Many of the premier weeks are already owned by legacy owners. For example, In over 3 years of searching I have yetto see a 3 bedroom unit on Maui open on points. The very rare and occasional 3 bedroom Marco Island is open. There is nothing at all currently open in Park City Jan-Feb 2015....

points can be great, but be careful

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Instead, I will be looking to join MVC via a re-sale purchase of 1500 points, and rent the additional points necessary for the vacations we desire. We like the flexibility of a points system, and we like the location and quality of the Marriott resorts, so we’ll likely go with MVC. Any specific recommendations on the safest/surest way to go about it would be much appreciated?

Welcome to TUG!! I personally feel this is a great choice. I am a Trust Points only owner, and we have been very happy getting what we wanted, when we wanted it over the past 3 years, booking DC point ressies at least 2x a year over that time. And the best part about your decision is that you are saving around $65K AND in years that you might not travel as much, you will be saving a ton in MF's.

As for safest/surest way to go about your resale purchase, I would recommend dealing with a knowledgeable/reputable broker. Many here agree that the Kozlowski's are a good place to start. Both Jay and Judi have an excellent reputation. Here is a link to their website. http://www.judikoz.com/

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While points are the product of today, given that you live quite a distance from most Marriott timeshare resort, I would actually consider buying a week or more somewhere. Unless you are big in to skiing, most resorts in the Marriott Collection are quite a distance away, I would think you would probably want to travel for a week or more at a time. Points is an expensive way to do this. Maintenance fees are not very cheap with points. If you can travel for five nights at a time and stay Sun-Thur nights, then perhaps points is a good option. But I personally think a resale weeks deed is a great option still. Sure there will be II fees and such, but you also have that $175 DC Annual Fee to deal with on top of your points maintenance fees.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
One strategy

One strategy is to Select the best Every Other Year deal from Marriott Resale in a Platinum Season and do a modest bundle with Marriott on Trust Points......as low as you can to get into Destinations. One example is Beach Place Towers (I like units with lock-off) for $7800 and you would add about 1750 Trust Points, (must be equal or greater than your resale). This would give you 1750 every year and the 3350 or so, every other year from BPT if you exchanged it. You could rent the DPs you need over and above that or get a great rental deal on TUG or Redweek. You will have invested about $25000 and positioned yourself nicely for the future with a reasonable maintenance fee. The Marriott resale web page is easy to navigate and will currently give you many options. No downside to the Every Other Year in the form of a payment premium.

MTnest

TUG Member
Reaction score
@puckmanfl – Our 3 kids are out of the house, but I still have 10 years +/- before retiring. We own a summer cabin on Flathead Lake, and that keeps us happy from June-August every year. Like my parents before me, we like to get the family together for Christmas-in-the-sand every year. Lately, that means Maui. MVC also has some nice offerings on Oahu and Kauai, so I was thinking those could keep us satisfied for the foreseeable future. On occasion, my wife and I have also enjoyed the Four Seasons in Scottsdale, AZ in October. We live in the heart of ski country, so winter recreation is never a problem. It seems like 3BR are the holy grail of timeshares ... I know that my son would love to get his back off the rollaway.

@dioxide45, @dansimms – I would consider buying a hi-value resale week somewhere, but I’m still fuzzy on how the exchange process works. I guess I need to get signed-up at redweek or II and look around. Thanks!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
@dioxide45, @dansimms – I would consider buying a hi-value resale week somewhere, but I’m still fuzzy on how the exchange process works. I guess I need to get signed-up at redweek or II and look around. Thanks!
I'm still new to Marriott trading, but I'll share what I have found so far. I originally thought I'd only want points, but after over a year of thinking/reading/deciding, I chose a resale week. The overall costs of travel are much less this way, especially when doing any weekend or high season travel.

I bought a 2 bedroom lockout every other year in Platinum season. When I look at what I can trade it for in II, my studio portion reveals lots of Marriott inventory in studio and one bedroom sizes. My one bedroom side reveals lots of 2 bedroom units. It looks like I could easily get a 2 bedroom and a one bedroom by exchanging my lockout 2bedroom. Not sure if it will stay like that, but that is what I've been seeing.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent decision.

You have made the right choice as others here have mentioned. Keep reading and seek advice. Take your time as well.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Welcome to Tug :wave:

You were very smart to rescind; take the opportunity to learn about points and about resale legacy weeks before making any purchase.

Sounds like you are looking for holiday weeks, which at many of the resorts are Plat. Plus, and owners paid a premium for. Keep in mind that, while the concept of "book wherever and whenever" touted by the salesperson sounds great, like Puck said availability may be an issue- esp. if you are looking for beach holiday 2BR weeks. If that is your main objective, I'd buy either an annual or EOY (may be hard to find though) holiday week. That way, you're always guaranteed that week, and can trade for another location on a request first basis (if II matches your request they get the week, otherwise you keep it). You also have a great week for a private exchange- perhaps a Maui owner wants to try Ko'Olina (on Oahu), for example, and you can trade between yourselves.

Buying points with the intent of always getting a super hot premium week is risky, imho. Others can chime in as to whether the holiday 2BR Hawaii weeks are readily available in the DC, but I'm guessing they're hard to come by.

I'd hate for you to outlay thousands of dollars and then not be able to book what you want on a fairly regular basis.