• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando - Royal Palms or Marriott World Center?

mnotarangelo

Reaction score
Ok, now that I finished walking the kids through the neighborhood, handing out candy and sampling from their bags, time for a question...

We are heading to Orlando next summer and have booked a week at Orange Lake River Island. For the other week I'm considering either Royal Palms so we can have a condo or staying right in the World Center.

Has anyone stayed at both places? I understand the issues with size, cooking, etc but I'm interested in the condition of both places and what would be the better experience.

I look forward to your responses - now off for a Snickers!

Mike & Family

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have access to all of the Marriott World Center ammenities while at Royal, Sabal, and Imperial Palms. The bedding will be virtually the same. The condos have been refurbished.

I'd pick the timeshare ten times out of ten unless something like room service or daily maid cleaning is a must.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great location to everything in Orlando. The rooms are very large; nice golf course.

iamnotshopgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Mike

May I suggest that you also take a look at Sable Palms (I do not own at this resort). I have stayed there several times in a 2BR 2BA unit. I prefer Sable because it is the closest to the World Center and can be accessed by a short walk with easy entry to the World Center pool, Arcade and restaurants. Short ride in and out of the parks and Downtown Disney. Marriott does provide a van to take you from whatever Palms you choose to the World Center. Also, tidy service or full cleaning of the villa can be provided just mention it when you check in. I am going down next month to Sable with my sons and their families and have reserved three villas. We usually do this every other year for Xmas in Disney it is a beautiful time of the year down there. I would also make this suggestion if your going to do a character breakfast or restuarants I would advise you to book early regardless of what time of the year you travel. My brother went down in September and had a difficult time booking restaurants as early as the beginning of August. I tried booking a character breakfast at the Contempory this first week of October for the first week of December and everything was booked for the entire week! Ended up taking the only one available and that was at the Beach Club. BTW I used AC's from my MSU units to get my December Villas. Enjoy you stay.

regards ......bob

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
All three Palms are on the World Center property. So it is primarily what you prefer in accommodations. I personally prefer Cypress Harbour and generally avoid convention centers.

mnotarangelo

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with the Condo and not stay at the hotel - I'm sure I'll spend a bunch more at the hotel anyway since there are no cooking facilities!

Thanks one and all!

Mike

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike,
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the condo has no cooking facilities. If you are talking about the ones at the World Center, each has a full kitchen.

mnotarangelo

Reaction score
Hi Big Matt - what I meant to say was that when I was deciding between going to the World Center or Royal Palms, the World Center didn't have any cooking facilities - just a regular hotel room. But thanks for the info anyway!
Mike

hot2trot

Reaction score
Well, a hotel room is just that - a hotel room, but you get DAILY MAID SERVICE!! It is also much more expensive than staying in a timeshare. I to would vote for staying at Sabal Palms. It is like staying at the hotel but it is a two bedroom condo with a HUGE jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom! You have lots of space, the buildings are only two stories (no elevators to the second level) and were refurbished recently. You have all the use of the hotel amenities so you don't miss out.

I did notice that there is a different ambience at the hotel. It is much busier, many people bustling about, checking in and out on a daily basis and it is noisier. Hotels have a life of their own if you like that, and daily maid service, and you can get a room for you and your spouse and a room for the kids then go for it! (of course, you can always pay extra for daily maid service at Sabal if you want - I think it runs $75.00 a day for a full clean remember it is two bedrooms +) Oh, and you have a washer and dryer so you don't have to go home with dirty laundry!

bafriend2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trading for 2 (3 bedroom villas ) and purchasing an additional 3 bedroom getaway unit from II, at the Imperial Palms for our large family of 8 adults and 10 grandkids.

Looking at an early May 2009 stay.

Will the Imperial offer easy access to the Marriott resort center and water park. Is it worth staying near the resort for the extra amenities?

Any other suggestions.

Thanx, Betty

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been debating Horizons/Cypress Harbor for their pools, slides, mini-golf, etc. versus Imperial/Sabal Palms. Based on this string, I looked up the hotel and see that they at least have a water slide. We like to go back to the hotel for a siesta everyday when we go to the parks. So, the closeness of Imperial/Sable palms is appealing. How are the facilities at the hotel? I understand that the timeshares have full access to the hotel facilities, right? Is it close to what you would have at Cypress Harbor/Horizon? The closeness to the Disney parks is appealing.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
Cypress and Horizons are maybe 10 minutes more then World Center from WDW.

Frisbeeace

Reaction score
Sabal Palms is adjacent (2' walk) to the Marriott OWC which has an amazing pool, water slide and many entertainment areas. Sabal is very quiet and surrounded by the golf course. It has been just refurbished (we are paying double MF for that). Without a doubt it is much more convenient than 2 rooms at the hotel and closer to the WDW parks than any other properties.

If you plan to buy from Marriott, remember that Sabal Palms allow trade-for-points option every year while others may not.