• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando Options

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a request in for 2 DVC 1 bedrooms for 1 week starting the middle of next June. We have always stayed on property in hotels so I figured that it would be better to do the onsite timeshares.

But, I keep seeing all of the Marriott offsite timeshares that I can pick up with our AC and I'm starting to waiver. We like the early mornings and we normally come back for a rest from the heat and crowds in the early afternoon. But, we pay a higher trade fee for DVC, we pay another fee for the DVC services, and we have no guarantee of getting two units at the same resort at the same time. I'm starting to wonder if we ought to give the Marriott offsite options a whirl and see how we like them. We'd probably only hit the Disney theme parks 3 days during the week and probably the water parks on 2-3 of the off days. The rest of the time we'd try to relax a bit. Any opinions on DVC versus Marriott? We love the magic, but we've never tried anything else.

If we go with Marriott, I can currently confirm:

Horizon (some dates would require using two of our weeks (AC and another week), 1 good week would give us a 2 bedroom for our AC)
Cypress Harbor
Grande Vista (would require two of our weeks for all dates)
Imperial Palms (3 bedroom)
Royal Palms
Sabel Palms

We have 4 children ranging from 19 to 5. Which Marriott would you choose? How close are they to Disneyworld? Could you go back to the room for an afternoon siesta easily? If so, we'd only miss out on early/late entry.

Thanks for any thoughts.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only stayed at CH but its an easy 15 minute drive to the parks. We enjoyed our stay tremendously but if someone offered me a Disney TS 1BR or bigger in place of CH I would take it in a heartbeat. To me staying at Disney is just more convenient on a number of levels. JMHO!!

That being said you will not go wrong "settling" with any of the "big three": CH, GV and Horizons. They are all top notch properties. Not sure of the others.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only stayed at CH but its an easy 15 minute drive to the parks. We enjoyed our stay tremendously but if someone offered me a Disney TS 1BR or bigger in place of CH I would take it in a heartbeat. To me staying at Disney is just more convenient on a number of levels. JMHO!!

That being said you will not go wrong "settling" with any of the "big three": CH, GV and Horizons. They are all top notch properties. Not sure of the others.

Thanks. I guess my debate is whether I'm willing to keep rolling the dice on getting 2 1 bedrooms at Disney at the same time and at the same property (or be willing to take 2 or 1 studio) versus a bird in the hand with a 2 bedroom Marriott nearby. I was just thinking about the cost difference a bit more. I can get the Marriott 2 bedroom for an AC and $299 total. The Disney would cost me the AC, plus another week, plus $$640 ($250 for the AC, $139 II fee for the other unit, plus $125 each Disney activity fee). The Marriott's are sounding better to me. Please help me if I'm making a mistake.

Mila78

Reaction score
I just was able to use my certificate that I got when I exchanged my platinum week 2BR at Surf Watch in Hilton Head for a 1BR at the Beach Club Villas. I didn't know I could use the free certificate for a Disney property!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I'd take the Imperial Palms for the AC. There will be tax of about $50 on top of the AC charge.

Imperial, Sabal and Royal Palms are VERY close to Disney. You should Google map the locations of all the resorts and see where they are. I love the location, and I would take that for the $299. They will give you a 3 bedroom for the AC without any trouble, I think. I haven't done it; haven't needed to do it.

I don't know if those Disneys will come through for you. I have had some horrible luck with ongoing searches for Disney and literally have seen things online before that were within my search criteria and should have matched. It's frustrating.........:shrug: I never travel in summer, which is prime time for Disney. I would take the Marriott while it's there. The closer the time gets, the less you will see available, because there are a lot of people doing the same, hoping for Disney, and they grab the weeks way ahead of time.

Mila78

Reaction score
I put in a request for Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge for a 1BR or 2BR and even though I had the request in I still went online and checked a couple times a day. Wouldnt you know it.... one day a 1BR at the Beach Club popped up. Why I wasnt automatically given it instead of it going on the public search since I had a request I dont know... but I was able to gobble it up on my own.

Just keep checking every day a couple times a day and lesson learned - don't trust the request system at II!

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
The three Palms are closest to Disney and are attached to a large Marriott convention property with nice pools and restaurants. Cypress Harbour is the most relaxed resort and similar to the Old Key West resort on Disney property. It is an easy drive to Disney from CH.

Off or on is a matter of choice. Disney is much better at themes and story telling then Marriott. Marriott generally has larger villas (exception is Disney's Old Key West). On property will get the benefit of the extra magic hours if that is important and you are closer with the ability to use Disney transportation.

As you can see we own both, having bought the Marriott's and most of the DVC when we lived in PA. We have made some changes since moving to Orlando and still very much enjoy our on property stays.

I think going back and forth during the day at the Palms is fine; the others a bit longer but still a possibility.

Last edited:

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd take the Imperial Palms for the AC. There will be tax of about $50 on top of the AC charge.

We just used an AC from Surf Club to get a week at Frenchman's Cove. Interval only charged us the $299. There was no additional tax FYI.

To the OP I if you could get a 2BR now at any of the "big three" Orlando Marriott's I would do that over waiting for the Disney properties. If you have an ongoing search I would call the Marriott desk at II and ask them what they recommend. They normally have a pretty good idea if a request will come through.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We just used an AC from Surf Club to get a week at Frenchman's Cove. Interval only charged us the $299. There was no additional tax FYI.

To the OP I if you could get a 2BR now at any of the "big three" Orlando Marriott's I would do that over waiting for the Disney properties. If you have an ongoing search I would call the Marriott desk at II and ask them what they recommend. They normally have a pretty good idea if a request will come through.

There is always tax for Florida and Colorado. I have had times when no tax was charged, but it was accidental on the part of II. II does collect tax.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information and opinions. I am now leaning strongly towards taking one of the Marriotts and seeing how we like it. The deciding factors:

Pluses for Marriott: less than 1/2 price, only requires use of an AC instead of 2 of our weeks, can confirm 2 or 3 bedroom now, entire family together for sure.
Minuses of Marriott: No early entry, farther to go back for siesta, no Disney theming (we can still use the Disney bus/monorail system if we are using a day off our passes, right?)

Assuming we go with the Marriott, I'm struggling with choosing which one. We have multiple options as I stated below. I've googled the location of each as well as looked at the website photos for each. It looks like the 3 palms are twice as close as CH and Horizons. But, from the photos and descriptions, it looks like the 3 palms are less themed for kids. For example, it looks like Horizon has almost its own water park. If I'm seeing all of this correctly, I'm torn between a resort that I think my kids might like a bit more and being twice as close to Disney. Any more thoughts on the palms versus CH and Horizons? Thanks!

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information and opinions. I am now leaning strongly towards taking one of the Marriotts and seeing how we like it. The deciding factors:

Pluses for Marriott: less than 1/2 price, only requires use of an AC instead of 2 of our weeks, can confirm 2 or 3 bedroom now, entire family together for sure.
Minuses of Marriott: No early entry, farther to go back for siesta, no Disney theming (we can still use the Disney bus/monorail system if we are using a day off our passes, right?)

Assuming we go with the Marriott, I'm struggling with choosing which one. We have multiple options as I stated below. I've googled the location of each as well as looked at the website photos for each. It looks like the 3 palms are twice as close as CH and Horizons. But, from the photos and descriptions, it looks like the 3 palms are less themed for kids. For example, it looks like Horizon has almost its own water park. If I'm seeing all of this correctly, I'm torn between a resort that I think my kids might like a bit more and being twice as close to Disney. Any more thoughts on the palms versus CH and Horizons? Thanks!

Check the TUG reviews as well. I would go for CH if I were you. You do not have all little kids and the theming of Horizons is for little kids. That being said there is PLENTY to do at CH for kids of all ages, with two pools to boot. Plus all the units are 2BR so you know what you are getting (compared to Horizons and GV which have studios, 1 BR and 2BR units).

In answer to your day pass question....yes you can use Disney transportation.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I own DVC and Marriott. Our two personal favorites so far are Marriott's Cypress Harbour and Marriott Horizons. When we stay at Cypress Harbour we always ask for Buildings 50 or 51 since I like being close to the market place with the refillable mugs (like at Disney).

Cypress Harbour reminds me of Disney's Old Key West and Horizons reminds me of the Beach Club. The only thing Horizons needs is a market place with refillable mugs. The zero entry pools are great at Horizons. Marriott definitely has Disney beat when it comes to bed comfort - no comparison.

Here are some pictures of Horizons that I took about a year and a half ago:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/r...OGThs5YsXGA&startIndex=0&fid=f7a219a6f5515a7b

I actually just cancelled a 1 bedroom OKW exchange for March because I've decided I want to stay at Marriott Cypress Harbour instead - I really want a 2 bedroom. ;)

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
...I'm torn between a resort that I think my kids might like a bit more and being twice as close to Disney. Any more thoughts on the palms versus CH and Horizons? Thanks!

Go with your kids having fun! If they are enjoying themselves, you are more likely to get R&R out of the holiday. The time from Horizons or Cypress Harbour is about 20 minutes. Half of that is getting on property and the balance to get to the furthest park which is either AK or MK depending on how you do it. My choice would be Horizons for the kids. Possibly Cypress Harbour as a good blend of something for everyone and I am partial to that resort.

nittanylion

TUG Member
Reaction score
just got back from Horizons with a 5 and 3 yr old and grandparents. everyone loved it. There is a mini golf on site, a big waterslide for the older kids and pool tables, ping pong and foosball. They also have a wii and volleball courts, basketball courts etc.. There was so much to do. as one poster mentioned the only thing it lacks is a little marketplace

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
II called with a 1 Bedroom Disney Saratoga Springs

I sat on this decision because there were so many Marriott's available that there was no need to make a decision. :)

II called with a 1 bedroom at Disney Saratoga Springs for my AC. Nice trade. But, after calling them, the downsides are that I need another room (either 1 bedroom or studio) at a cost of one more week plus $139 to fit all of my family. In addition, Disney charges a $95 fee per room resort fee. Finally, they won't put a studio and a 1 bedroom together. They'd just try to get them close. And, our plans have changed a bit and we'd now prefer the week after the week we were offered (although for the right deal we'd go on the week offered).

This makes the decision harder. But, I think I am going to go with a Sabal Palms 2 bedroom for the AC. Here are my reasons:

1. Guaranteed 2 bedroom that fits everyone for $300, no $95 Disney fee, no extra room costing another week plus $139 plus $95.
2. Sabal Palms is 2.5 miles from the gate to Disneyworld. It might actually be closer to Animal Kingdom than Saratoga Springs and at most another 2-3 minutes to all of the parks.
3. We have walking access to the Marriott hotel with 5 water slides, an indoor pool, and a bunch of restaurants including a food court.
4. We can reserve the exact week we want.

Am I making a mistake? It's hard to turn down a Disney trade. Thanks for any thoughts, particularly on the Marriott hotel near Sabal Palms and ease of travel to the parks from Sabal Palms.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Why not change your II request to two bedrooms only? While II is looking for a Disney two bedroom for you keep checking II for Marriott avaiabilty, if it starts getting low then pull the triger on getting the Marriott.

If a two bedroom at Disney comes through you will all be together and only pay the $95 fee once.

Ray

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not change your II request to two bedrooms only? While II is looking for a Disney two bedroom for you keep checking II for Marriott avaiabilty, if it starts getting low then pull the triger on getting the Marriott.

If a two bedroom at Disney comes through you will all be together and only pay the $95 fee once.

Ray

I don't have a 2 bedroom to trade so I can't ask for a 2 bedroom from Disney. And, when I checked today, the Marriott availability has started to shrink. I was thinking of getting a 3 bedroom at Imperial Palms just for the extra room. But, it was gone today. Although, I think the proximity of Sabal Palms may be better anyway.

aceinthehole

TUG Member
Reaction score
I Have a 12 and a 13 y/o. The royal, sabel or imperial Palms are closest to DW...and a very easy ride to and from...I say go for one of those. I always do....My name is Ace and I approve this message

bafriend2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently booked 3 ( 3 bedroom villas ) at the Imperial Palms. I used my 2br Surfwatch regular wk, Surfwatch AC week, and a getaway from II. Total cost for the 3 units will be $1,466.55 including trip cancellation $65/per unit. I felt this was a really good price to accommodate 8 adults and 10 children.

We'll be there May 8 - 15 th. We tried for the first weekend of May. However that was gone within the 3 days I was working out the logistics of getting all of our family together.

My primary reason for choosing the Palms was the 3 bedroom units, the many resaurants, and amenities at the conventions center which we can use without additional charge, plus the proximity to Disney.

Thanx Ace for approving of my choice. One question is there shuttle bus service from the Palms to Disney?

We're all looking forward to a fun late Christmas in Florida.
Betty

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott "Palms" properties are all much older than Cypress Harbour or Horizons. Given the ages of those in your party I would suggest Cypress Harbour. Read the reviews. I've never heard anyone say anything negative. Get to the parks when they open, come back for lunch, pool time and rest. Then go back to the parks. I stayed at Old Key West last year with my daughters and grandchildren and much prefer Marriott. The time spent catching the bus back to the villa is comparable to the time you would spend driving back to CH. The difference in miles between CH and the "Palm" is minimal and CH is much nicer.

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is important to your family - Disney charges for internet access, which is available at no extra charge at Cypress Harbour (and other Marriott's I believe).

Danette :)

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now Imperial Palms

Well, I couldn't resist the 3 bedroom when it came back up when I cancelled Saratoga Springs. That way every person in our family has a bed (versus a pull out couch). I am basing this primarily on proximity to Disney World. Many have said that CH and Horizons aren't much further and are better themed. But, I've mapped all of the Marriotts and it looks like CH and Horizons are another 10-15 minutes each way. It is important for us to come back during the day to get out of the heat and rest. I think it would be harder to do that at CH or Horizons. The Marriott Palms units are almost the same distance to the Disney resorts as Saratoga Springs and you have access to all of the pools/restaurants at the hotel. Agree/disagree?

One question: I've never driven to Disney (always stayed on property and used their bus system). How hard is it to park? Can you get back to your car quickly? I remember that the Magic Kingdom requires a boat or monorail ride to the parking lot. Would that work out OK?

I can still cancel the Imperial Palms today. So, please let me know if I should. Thanks!

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does take a bit of additional time (maybe 10-15 minutes) just to get to your car, especially at Magic Kingdom, but overall not too bad. We just got back from a trip with a 2 year old (which means stroller, cooler, the works) and it was tough getting on and off the tram in the parking lot but all in all was worth it to get home for naptime. I don't have a great deal of experience with the WDW transport, but I'd imagine that time spent loading and unloading everyone on the buses would offset the time it takes to get to your car.

It seems like we have all the right people reading this thread so I'm going to add an additional question to the discussion: That same 2 year old will be 3 when we visit Disney again next December, and we'll also have a 6 month old with us. We are excited to see Disney themed for Christmas, and while the weather will be great for the parks it may not be best for swimming, which is our other favorite activity. Given this we were thinking at staying at one of the Palms resorts to have access to the World Center and it's indoor pool. My question is this: are there other indoor or dry outdoor activities at the other Marriott resorts, or is it best that time of year to be at the World Center so we have all the options they offer indoors for the days we stay out of the parks and look for a little R&R? Which property is best for a December/Winter stay? Another alternative would be to stay on site but I think after reading this thread I'm convinced that an offsite option is best for our situation as well.

bafriend2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The three bed room villas was why I chose the Palms. We stayed at the Grande Vista last year with 4 members of our family and loved the accommodations.

However since we spent so little time at the resort, it was more important for each of our 18 family members have a bed and room to spread out.

We have a very diverse family. It just seemed like the amenities available to us at the Convention Center far outweighed our other options.

Plus finding 3 (3 bedroom ) villas the same week is extremely difficult.

I've read they have a shuttle bus that runs to the convention center about every 5 minutes if someone doesn't want to walk.

Glad to see others agree with my thought processes. Betty

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
latest update

Disney just called with a 1 bedroom Boardwalk Villas. Any opinions on Boardwalk Villas versus Imperial Palms? The only other Disney week available for the same week is a studio at Saratoga Springs. If I'm going to have two units at 2 different resorts, I might as well keep the Imperial Palms and the Boardwalk Villas . . . .