• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orange Lake Sale

michellecoury

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVIC South Beach, Las Vegas and Williamsburg
We have 350,000 points in the HVIC system. These points are spread through 3 resorts. We were in Orange Lake last week and the sales guy talked us into "upgrading" to Premier member by buying 150 points, but these points were going to cost u $ 0.13 a point and the total was around $18,000. The more we thought about it the more I thought 18,000 would buy us a lot of vacations. So we rescinded the sale the next day. Did we do the right thing? is there any advantage of being a premier? and can I buy points somewhere else cheaper online to accomplish that goal? I did ask the salesperson if you buy points online like EBay or something if it would accomplish the same goal and he said if you buy them online you do not have any member benefits because HVIC does not recognize those points. Is that true? We use our points every year but we are getting ready to retire and I would like to travel a bit more. So I need advice on if we should just stay at hotels, buy more points from HVIC or online or what. Help Please!

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Unfortunately to qualify for premier you do have to purchase from Orange Lake.

You can buy more points at the 3 resorts that do transfer points on resale transfer (South Beach, lake Geneva, Gatlinburg), you enjoy most HICV benefits but they do not qualify for premier membership.

The only way I would purchase retail is by converting fixed weeks into points. So if you will be retiring, you may want to start searching for good MFs/point ratio fixed units (desert club) at places that you enjoy or are easy to rent, and then convert those by buying retail. They implemented some rules in converting these units, but based on conversations with sales agents, those are negotiable.

The 3 resorts that transfer points resale do not come up often in the resale market, specially the higher point units. Lake Geneva is the one I see the most, however, these are smaller contracts and the higher are about 150k points.

176k South Beach units have sold for over $5k resale in the last 6 month.

Good luck!

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

michellecoury

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVIC South Beach, Las Vegas and Williamsburg
Unfortunately to qualify for premier you do have to purchase from Orange Lake.

You can buy more points at the 3 resorts that do transfer points on resale transfer (South Beach, lake Geneva, Gatlinburg), you enjoy most HICV benefits but they do not qualify for premier membership.

The only way I would purchase retail is by converting fixed weeks into points. So if you will be retiring, you may want to start searching for good MFs/point ratio fixed units (desert club) at places that you enjoy or are easy to rent, and then convert those by buying retail. They implemented some rules in converting these units, but based on conversations with sales agents, those are negotiable.

The 3 resorts that transfer points resale do not come up often in the resale market, specially the higher point units. Lake Geneva is the one I see the most, however, these are smaller contracts and the higher are about 150k points.

176k South Beach units have sold for over $5k resale in the last 6 month.

Good luck!

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
I have points now so I do not think I have fixed weeks. I'm sorry I'm very new at this what is MF? So if I buy points from resale place I get the points but not the primer benefits correct? Do you know if I'm a signature owner if I buy resale points if I would get the registry collection? Also are there any other benefits you do not receive if you purchase resale?

Last edited:

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I have points now so I do not think I have fixed weeks. I'm sorry I'm very new at this what is MF? So if I buy points from resale place I get the points but not the primer benefits correct? Do you know if I'm a signature owner if I buy resale points if I would get the registry collection?

MFs are maintenance fees. Correct, if you buy at any of the 3 resorts listed above, you will get the points but they will not count towards premier benefits.

To be signature and qualify for the registry, you need to own signature points and have over 500k points in total. These points can be a combination of regular retail points and retail signature points. Resale point do not count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Also are there any other benefits you do not receive if you purchase resale?

If you purchase resale at lake Geneva, south beach (Myrtle beach), or Gatlinburg you get all the benefits, but they do not count towards premier.

If you purchase anywhere else in HICV resale, you get the fix deeded week. These fixed weeks can be converted to points by making a retail purchase.

There are also resale trust points and these also do not count and are very restrictive. These are relatively new so not a lot of info from actual resale owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk