• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Optons when AA changes itinerary using ff miles

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just checked my itinerary for an upcoming trip to the Bahamas using ff miles. It looks like we can't get home on AA without spending the night in Chicago...ugh! Right now they have us arriving into Dallas at 7:15pm and our flight departing Dallas at 5:45pm (on the same day). How can their computer even allow this? If I tell them our original booking did not include an overnight, could they possibly put us on a partner airline to get us home on the same day? Any other options? Thanks.

Carolyn

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I had a similar experience with Delta ff tickets to Hawaii a couple of years ago. Can't say why their computers don't flag illegal connections, but by calling every time (happened about three times before the trip) the agents happily found us a better itinerary.

In the end, we had better flights than we started out with. Initially we had a very long layover in Atlanta. Not so by the time all was said and done.

Sheila

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would certainly call them up. AA will generally work with you on your itinerary.

SuzanneSLO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure when you are flying, but I am assuming you are not already in the middle of the trip.

If that is the case, then following a schedule change, AA is only obligated to change the flight or refund you money (or in your case, miles). They are not likely to put you on another airline. They will usually work with you on a new schedule that best meets your needs, even if there are no longer any FF seats on those flights (as long as seats in the same class are available). Your best best is to research the available flights and then call AA and ask to be changed to those flights.

Best of luck -- Suzanne

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The problem is that EVERY flight AA has coming from Marsh Harbour to Indianapolis has an overnight connection on the day we are flying. We have to overnight going down there and I didn't want to do this coming back too.
I was also hoping we could get a better itinerary but that's not the case.

Carolyn

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Tell them the change in your itinerary simply will not do. Ask them to substitute tickets on a partner or codeshare airline. If they say their rules and regs don't allow such re-ticketing, then you've been trumped. Try another agent, and if you're trumped again then alas you'll be stuck with that second overnight. But in that case make them pay the hotel bill! ;)

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your travel dates are, but there is a non-stop from DFW to IND departing at 8:05 pm (flight 1160) with service starting Sept 3. Prior to Sept 3, there is an 8:35 pm departure (flight 864). Ask them to put you on one of those flights, so you don't have to overnight. If they force you to connect in Chicago with an overnight layover, and your original itinerary did not include the overnight, then ask them for hotel voucher(s).

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Not sure what your travel dates are, but there is a non-stop from DFW to IND departing at 8:05 pm (flight 1160) with service starting Sept 3. Prior to Sept 3, there is an 8:35 pm departure (flight 864). Ask them to put you on one of those flights, so you don't have to overnight. If they force you to connect in Chicago with an overnight layover, and your original itinerary did not include the overnight, then ask them for hotel voucher(s).

We travel from MHH to IND on June 6. The latest flight listed on that day from DFW to IND is at 5:45pm, We aren't scheduled into DFW until 7:15pm.
Since it's so far away maybe I'll just wait and see if more changes are made.

Carolyn

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
My usually experience with AA and itinerary changes that AA makes, always seems to work in my favor.

I have had several that my only option was routed through ORD when I would have rather routed though DFW. I could not get the route on the original booking of the FF reward but when the entire master schedule got shuffled they moved me over to the DFW flight that I wanted in the first place.

Call and ask them to reroute you. Every time I do that the provide me with flight options that were not available as FF tickets. But the will always accommodate you if there is a schedule change.

Call and ask and be firm about what works for you.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My usually experience with AA and itinerary changes that AA makes, always seems to work in my favor.

I have had several that my only option was routed through ORD when I would have rather routed though DFW. I could not get the route on the original booking of the FF reward but when the entire master schedule got shuffled they moved me over to the DFW flight that I wanted in the first place.

Call and ask them to reroute you. Every time I do that the provide me with flight options that were not available as FF tickets. But the will always accommodate you if there is a schedule change.

Call and ask and be firm about what works for you.

Unfortunately, EVERY AA flight for our return home requires an overnight somewhere. Since it is next June I just thought I would wait for them to change their schedule....again :)

Carolyn

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As stated above, your choices will likely be to accept the overnight (lodging at your own expense) or get a refund of your FF miles. There are numerous alternatives on other airlines (DL, US and CO), but not on AA. In this difficult financial environment for the airlines, it's extremely unlikely that they will put you on another airline, which would be at their expense.

However, call and ask. You might get lucky. Waiting and hoping is likely to reduce your chances for success.