• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Option for July Week

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey All - I own 2 weeks at MOC, both with check in dates of July 3rd. We are hoping that we will be able to travel, but its not looking so good, so I want to go over options. We are under the 60 day window now. With one of the weeks, my wife and I can use it later in the year if need be, but the other one will probably have to go to II. I used to have an II membership, but it expired, and I don't believe that they have confirmed my current unit ownership weeks, just my old unit that I sold. So here are my questions:

1. Are there restrictions with Marriott that would prevent me from changing my check in dates on these units to something later this year, assuming availability. I believe there is a fee to do so, but can this be done inside the 60 day window?

2. I still have my log in to II, but it just says I need to renew for $99 a year, $198 for two years etc. Is that the standard price for a Marriott weeks owner, or should I be purchasing some other way?

3. Assuming I can just renew on their website, is there a process for adding my current resale weeks and does that take some time? I thought I read a post here that it can take a while, so is this something I should do right away to ensure I can deposit my week?

4. Any thing else I need to know about deadline dates, etc.?

Its just been a very long time since I had to deal with II and I am not current on any of the rules. Thanks everyone for the help!!

Frank

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
There are numerous, lengthy threads on this topic. You may wish to do a search.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey All - I own 2 weeks at MOC, both with check in dates of July 3rd. We are hoping that we will be able to travel, but its not looking so good, so I want to go over options. We are under the 60 day window now. With one of the weeks, my wife and I can use it later in the year if need be, but the other one will probably have to go to II. I used to have an II membership, but it expired, and I don't believe that they have confirmed my current unit ownership weeks, just my old unit that I sold. So here are my questions:

1. Are there restrictions with Marriott that would prevent me from changing my check in dates on these units to something later this year, assuming availability. I believe there is a fee to do so, but can this be done inside the 60 day window?

2. I still have my log in to II, but it just says I need to renew for $99 a year, $198 for two years etc. Is that the standard price for a Marriott weeks owner, or should I be purchasing some other way?

3. Assuming I can just renew on their website, is there a process for adding my current resale weeks and does that take some time? I thought I read a post here that it can take a while, so is this something I should do right away to ensure I can deposit my week?

4. Any thing else I need to know about deadline dates, etc.?

Its just been a very long time since I had to deal with II and I am not current on any of the rules. Thanks everyone for the help!!

Frank
Hi Frank,
If you call MVC they will guide you through all this- no need to worry about it and try to figure it all out for yourself.
Good luck.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I did call and got the info from both Marriott and II. I did do a search and read through posts before asking my questions, but the reason I asked it is because I saw some info that was contradictory, so I thought I would just ask in my own thread. In any event, here is what they told me.

1. Since I am in the 60 day window, I cannot change the date. I have been an owner for 2 decades, didn't know this as I have never had to make a change.
2. The price listed for II is the price. I did need to change my units around because my II membership expired 8 years ago, and normally, to add units would create a charge, but since I am renewing, they waived the fee for that.
3. I went ahead and renewed now because he said it will take at least 3 to 5 days to verify my ownership with Marriott, and if I wait too long I could miss the deposit window. I could also get a pro rated refund if we can go in July and I don't need II, so very little money lost by signing up now.
4. I did read this in another thread, but he did verify that I need to deposit ASAP as II may close off week deposits. He said they are not accepting for May for Hawaii. No dates given on when they would stop accepting for June or July, but I don't want to risk waiting on verification so I renewed it today to start the process so I am ready to deposit.

We did talk about restrictions of my week because I am in the 60 day window - but he said since I never had a restriction removed, I could ask the rep at time of deposit to remove the restriction and they would make it a normal deposited week with regular booking rights, and not a limited window. Not sure if that will be true or not if/when I go to do it, but I will ask.

Still holding out a small chance we can go but very doubtful. At least I am prepared once we know for sure we cannot go. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you get to go, unclear at this point for sure! II will pro-rate membership if you end up not needing it. Sometimes, there are multi year discounts or varying levels, but you wouldn't need that. A lot of people are learning the cancellation and other policies lately. The hard part will be when do you decide you are not going and cancel all the arrangements like flights, car, etc.? There is the risk that II deposits may not be accepted, so you have to balance that vs waiting. The deposit doesn't really do II much good if no one can travel there, so, the risk is real.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option you might consider is finding a Hawaiian TUGger (or other person) who can use your week(s). I cancelled my MVCI Waiohai week at around 65 days out but before cancelling my HGVC week I found a Hawaiian TUGger who wanted my HHV Lagoon Tower OF week.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Another option you might consider is finding a Hawaiian TUGger (or other person) who can use your week(s). I cancelled my MVCI Waiohai week at around 65 days out but before cancelling my HGVC week I found a Hawaiian TUGger who wanted my HHV Lagoon Tower OF week.

If arrivals continue to be restricted, but local stay at home is lifted, June might be an interesting time for locals to use the resorts. I am not sure many would pay a lot though.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After debating it with the family, we decided to pull the plug and deposit our weeks with II. We did so with the info that we saw in the last day where some of the islands have extended quarantine orders through June 30th. So assuming Maui does the same, then I am dead in the water if they don't allow tourists for our July 3rd check in. Plus, I am finding it harder to believe that they will open up for residents and tourists at the same time. So here are a couple of details for others searching on this topic:

1. Because I was in the 60 day window, Marriott already told me I couldn't change the date. I called back to lock off my 2 - 2 bedrooms, but they said no, the 60 day rule applies to any changes.
2. I did deposit in II, as I was concerned they could stop taking deposits and I just didn't want to get stuck with nothing. So I just deposited the 2 weeks, and should have trading power to get something decent down the road - hopefully!
3. II did keep their word, and even though I am a late depositor, they changed my deposits to regular deposits, so now I can submit a search request for up to 2 years out, in my case, July 3rd check in of 2022. That was nice of them, and I really appreciated it.
4. Now I have to figure out where we want to go, assuming what may open up and when. No idea, so probably won't plan much for 2021, and will shot for 2022.

We are keeping our airfare though, hoping the airlines cancel so we can get a refund. If Maui does open up on July 3rd, then I guess we are going, and I will have to find a place to stay. While that will cost me, I will be happy to pay just to get back to our home away from home.

Stay safe everyone!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Maui does open up on July 3rd, then I guess we are going, and I will have to find a place to stay. While that will cost me, I will be happy to pay just to get back to our home away from home.

If they do open up, perhaps that minute you can quickly get online and trade back into MKO? Maybe you can beat anyone else. After all, people like you who deposited are inventory to exchange into. I would think it's possible.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they do open up, perhaps that minute you can quickly get online and trade back into MKO? Maybe you can beat anyone else. After all, people like you who deposited are inventory to exchange into. I would think it's possible.
Maybe - I did do a quick search to see if my weeks were now available and they were not. Not sure if it hits inventory that fast or if it matched with someone’s ongoing request. But if/when it does open up, I will be on their quickly trying to match.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe - I did do a quick search to see if my weeks were now available and they were not. Not sure if it hits inventory that fast or if it matched with someone’s ongoing request. But if/when it does open up, I will be on their quickly trying to match.

Doesn't hurt to try at least

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Unless your resort is actually fully closed, my understanding is Maui is "open". You can fly there. But you will be quarantined in your room for 14 days. Beaches and pools closed.
Hawaii governor extended quarantine to June 30, meaning you would currently not be quarantined if you arrive July 3.
That being said, that governor keeps pushing out the end date of the quarantine...
Since the state survives on tourism, he is playing Russian Roulette. There has not been a Covid death in about a week in Hawaii, yet the entire state is on financial life support.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to hang in there and wait, but the extension to June 30th made it a lot less likely that they will release locals at the same time they allow tourists in. I still have my airfare, so if we are allowed in without movement restrictions I will be scrambling for a place to stay, but I am guessing there should be openings. Or I can just move the air dates due to COVID, I can do so without charge. I guess I understand the Governor there, they are such a small place that a tiny outbreak can over run their health system quickly. Doesn’t mean I like it, but I understand it. Hated to deposit but it’s done now.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Unless your resort is actually fully closed, my understanding is Maui is "open". You can fly there. But you will be quarantined in your room for 14 days. Beaches and pools closed.
Hawaii governor extended quarantine to June 30, meaning you would currently not be quarantined if you arrive July 3.
That being said, that governor keeps pushing out the end date of the quarantine...
Since the state survives on tourism, he is playing Russian Roulette. There has not been a Covid death in about a week in Hawaii, yet the entire state is on financial life support.

When did the Gov extend quarantine to June 30? I cannot find it in any official press release or news site.

Last Hawaii covid 19 death was on May 5.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
He has not officially done it yet. He said they were going to. I did read an article that a realtor on Maui sent me (looking at condos too) that stated that Oahu and Kauai both extended to June 30th.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The stay at home order has been extended till June 30 for Oahu and I believe Maui as well.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update - Looks like it was ok for me to cancel my weeks reservation and deposit, as American Airlines just called and cancelled our flights for July 3rd. I know that is not a government announcement that things are being extended, but they must know something because they are now giving me a full refund.

One other thing I learned about II - I did not know that I could not exchange back into the same check in date at the same resort. So I had a July 3rd check in at MOC, so if we could have gone and there was a last second unit available with the same check in date as what I had, apparently I would not be able to book it. Never knew that, but since I never use II, I am sure there is lots to learn.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Just an update - Looks like it was ok for me to cancel my weeks reservation and deposit, as American Airlines just called and cancelled our flights for July 3rd. I know that is not a government announcement that things are being extended, but they must know something because they are now giving me a full refund.

One other thing I learned about II - I did not know that I could not exchange back into the same check in date at the same resort. So I had a July 3rd check in at MOC, so if we could have gone and there was a last second unit available with the same check in date as what I had, apparently I would not be able to book it. Never knew that, but since I never use II, I am sure there is lots to learn.

I did not know that either. Seems a silly rule? I mean in essence you are paying an exchange fee for them to hold your week? Unless weeks are enrolled and then it’s no exchange fee. Either way I wonder the logic behind the rule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never heard of that either. I exchange virtually every year back into my same resort. Perhaps I have never exchanged back for the same dates, I suppose that is possible. I do this to get more bedrooms.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
How were you able to overcome the 60-day late deposit requirement? I had a late cancellation for MGV in April (within 60 days but greater than 14 days), and my window is limited for a trade - basically making my deposit somewhat useless.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my membership expired 8 years ago, so in advance of doing anything I called II and spoke to them about my options. Since I was in the 60 day, but not in the quarantine lock out (expires June 30th, and my reservation is July 3rd), they said that if I go ahead and renew now and deposit before I am forced to, as an accommodation for signing up, they would waive the confinements of my weeks and let them act as normal deposits. So I rolled the dice and agreed, signed up, but then I had to add my weeks and wait for that to be done. Then I called them and deposited my weeks, and told that rep what the other II rep promised me, and they honored it without any argument on my side. Don't know if I was lucky or that is just what they are willing to do if you ask, or maybe it was because I just renewed. Either way, they let me put in an ongoing search with both units I deposited.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theiggy and Steve - I can't imagine why it is a rule. They get their exchange fee either way, if I grab it or someone else does. Plus, I deposited full 2 bedrooms and one of them was Ocean Front, so I will most likely not get that view no matter what I exchange for, so I lose out some on the deal. I can't imagine an advantage to me, the depositor, in this scenario, so why would they care if I grabbed the same check in date back at the same resort? Baffles me. I even tried to question it for Maui because there are two different II codes for the 2 types of towers, MMO and MM1, with me owning MMO. I asked if I could grab the same check in date for MM1 since it is a different resort code and they said no, same resort. I didn't test it, but the dates pop up when I search with my week, so maybe the system will let me, and only an agent will stop it, not sure. Just seems dumb to me.

If anyone knows the answer it would be interesting to be educated.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my membership expired 8 years ago, so in advance of doing anything I called II and spoke to them about my options. Since I was in the 60 day, but not in the quarantine lock out (expires June 30th, and my reservation is July 3rd), they said that if I go ahead and renew now and deposit before I am forced to, as an accommodation for signing up, they would waive the confinements of my weeks and let them act as normal deposits. So I rolled the dice and agreed, signed up, but then I had to add my weeks and wait for that to be done. Then I called them and deposited my weeks, and told that rep what the other II rep promised me, and they honored it without any argument on my side. Don't know if I was lucky or that is just what they are willing to do if you ask, or maybe it was because I just renewed. Either way, they let me put in an ongoing search with both units I deposited.
I actually had to sign up for an II account to simply late deposit my week. This was when things were crazy and everyone was trying to understand answers. I guess I missed an opportunity...