• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Opinions needed--upgrade to Diamond points for $15,000?

gramasue

Reaction score
I am an owner at Powhatan, now owned by Diamond resorts. Got the pitch today about upgrading by trading in my week and purchasing points--for $15,000+! Is this worth it? Don't know much about points, so help me!

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner at Powhatan, now owned by Diamond resorts. Got the pitch today about upgrading by trading in my week and purchasing points--for $15,000+! Is this worth it? Don't know much about points, so help me!

Wow! How many points do you get for $15,000+?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Beware!

I would say no. You already own so why would you have to pay $15000 for what you already have. How much are your maintenance going to be? They have gone up 25% for this year. I am a gold member with Diamond. I just want you to watch out. I would say wait to see if they improve their properties like they say they will. I like you have owned before they took over. If the salesman says that they are going to do something, make sure it is writing just the way they say it will be.

The points are good for flexibility to travel. I like that a lot. However, I always had points and when Sunterra had The Club it did not cost me anything to join. You basically will double pay if you already own your Powhatan.

I would give it some serious consideration before signing on any dotted line. I used to be a big fan but the way they have been handling maintenance fees has been of great concern. Also, if you use points for cruises or any of the other items you can trade points for, you are basically losing money because the cost of each point is reduced significantly for those items. It would be better for you to book your own cruise or airline fares than to use points because it would be much cheaper to pay for it yourself than to use points.

Others on TUG will chime in I am sure to help you in your decision. Diamond has some good points because I can trade into really nice resorts through Interval International using the points. Also, they have some really nice resorts in Europe, however, be careful.

This warning is coming from an owner.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No! Most people on here would say that you should never pay to upgrade. I tend to me more lenient and think that there are situations where it might be considered. This is not one of them. $15000 is a totally, just totally outrageous price.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell you what.. if you're so quick to spend $15,000.. send ME your $15,000 and you can keep your resort week, and I'll give you points equal to what they offered you. lol

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Wouldn't Touch That With A 10-Foot Pole.

Too expensive.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

BillR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell you what.. if you're so quick to spend $15,000.. send ME your $15,000 and you can keep your resort week, and I'll give you points equal to what they offered you. lol

I will raise the ante - for $15,000 I will "let you keep your resort week and give you points equal to what they offered you" PLUS 20% more.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will raise the ante - for $15,000 I will "let you keep your resort week and give you points equal to what they offered you" PLUS 20% more.

haha.. well I hope the OP gets the point. :D

Bill4728

Reaction score
Most offers seen in the past, for upgrading to DRI pts, involved paying ~$3000 to upgrade to points.

For $3000, it may be worth it, but never for $15,000!

PS You may be able to buy the US collection for just a few thousand and then you get pts for use within the collection (~20 resorts) Not all DRI resorts but 20 resorts. Including Powhatan.
DRI FAQ said:
DRI U.S. Collection:
Bent Creek Golf Village, Gatlinburg, TN
Cypress Point Resort & Villas, Orlando, FL
Daytona Beach Regency, Daytona Beach, FL
Desert Paradise Resort, Las Vegas, NV
Flamingo Beach Club and Villas, St Maarten
Grand Beach Resort, Orlando, FL
Greensprings Vacation Resort, Williamsburg, VA
Historic Powhatan Resort, Williamsburg, VA
Island Links Resort, Hilton Head, SC
Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, Lake Tahoe, CA
London Bridge Resort, Lake Havasu, AZ
Marquis Villas, Palm Springs, CA
Polo Towers Villas & Suites, Las Vegas, NV
Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort, Sedona, AZ
Royal Palm Beach Resort, St Maarten
San Luis Bay Inn, Avila Beach, CA
Sedona Summit Resort, Sedona, AZ
Scottsdale Links Resort, Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale Villa Mirage, Scottsdale, AZ
Suites at Fall Creek, Branson, MO
Villas de Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM

PPS Did you read the DRI FAQ thread

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you go BACKWARDS when you buy points

With all the 'benefits' you might get with points, there is a chance you can go backwards - depending on which week you own. I talked to a woman who owns at the same resort I do. Same size unit. We had both been in the float system but somewhere along the line she 'upgraded' to the point system being offered to all owners at the resort. She paid the fee and they converted her May week to points. Now she can't get any summer weeks, Easter or other holiday weeks because her week doesn't give her enough points to get a whole week during busier seasons. Before she switched to points, she was 'even' regarding the float system.

It also takes her longer to try to reserve a week as she can't call the resort to do this - she has to call the 'club' that handles the points. She is currently trying to get out of 'the club' but hasn't been successful yet.

$15K sounds outrageous to me for getting nothing more than a different way to use your original timeshare. Think of how you can use that $15K just to rent something different once in a while while still using your original timeshare the way you thought you'd use it when you signed up.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would keep what I have, and seek out a points system RESALE for much cheaper that $15K that would complement what I have.