• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Opinions needed between Saratoga, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I was just at SSR, they only had part of a building down. The resort was still pretty full. There's 18 buildings, so about 4% of the rooms (not including treehouses) were down.

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I was also just there and noted the same but its a change in availability and likely impacts what Disney has most available to deposit. We have seen more AKL since they started the renovations (even though the rooms are getting picked up mostly with OGS) and in general Disney takes care of Disney first :) and I think the AKL rooms are more valuable based on the rack rates (SSR 1 bed standard $505 a night, AKL 1 bed standard $605 a night and OKW 1 bed $506 a night @ best rate) so if Disney has a choice its depositing SSR or OKW and renting the AKL rooms. But who knows what the mouse is really thinking :)

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It’s also possible DVC owners may choose to avoid SSR until the renovations are done, or at least until the chances of getting a renovated unit are higher, so it’s possible the SSR proportion in RCI could remain just as high.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
perhaps, I think DVC Members book SSR when they plan late trips (at least that's how it looks to me if i'm trying to book inside 7 months) While I enjoy SSR and Own the resort I book AKL, BWV or BCV @ WDW if I have a choice but my behavior might not be typical :)

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll jump in on this thread with a couple of different ways to look at it.

Location: You really can't beat the location of SS. You can walk, take a boat to Disney Springs and other places. Huge differentiation in my opinion. OKW is similar in ability to get to parks easily, but not as convenient. AKL is far away from a lot of things. Need to use the bus system or drive to most places. We like to visit other resorts and eat at some rather than whatever our home resort is. Ability to do that is nice. SS wins the location battle.

Unit size: OKW 1BR is larger than the other two. It doesn't seem that different in a 2BR since there is a lot more space in general. OKW wins if you are in a 1BR. Studios and 2BR are a wash

Vibe: AKL is probably the best if you are into animals, but OKW seems like you are really remote and away from the crowds. SS gets very busy at the pool and other common areas. Footprint there seems crowded in general. I like OKW the best.

Other: full size washers and driers in OKW the last time I was there.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at OKW & Beach Club - I have stayed at AK and SSR (as well as others).

SSR & OKW are pretty similar - Condo style units/park outside of your unit. Each one has it's own theme of course. Everything else has been mentioned - OKW - larger unit/elevator/no elavator, easy access to DS, etc. .

AK - different theme, hotel style, Jambo more restaurants on site, animals on site, a little out of the way. It's a tough choice. For something a little different, I would choose AK but love all of them for different reasons.

Curious which one you end up going with.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
My take on SSR, OKW, AKL, if you are not planning on going to the theme parks then I would pick SSR first you can not beat the location to Disney Springs.
If you want a relaxing trip with some theme park time then I would pick OKW, I like the turtle pond section. For the complete Disney experience I would pick AKL.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My take on SSR, OKW, AKL, if you are not planning on going to the theme parks then I would pick SSR first you can not beat the location to Disney Springs.
If you want a relaxing trip with some theme park time then I would pick OKW I like the turtle pond section. For the complete Disney experience I would pick AKL.
You have to rely on buses for all those resorts anyway, so why would AKL be the full Disney experience? I thought it was a bit farther away from the parks? If renting a car I’d think all of the parks are around the skate driving distance? Uber and Lyft is my friend in Orlando but if parking at the parks and resorts are free then renting a car is best.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I appreciate all the replies. I always loved Saratoga and from my readings here, it still has the edge because of its walking location to Disney Springs but I will when opportunity arises, try the others, just to see for myself what I think.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I own at OKW & Beach Club - I have stayed at AK and SSR (as well as others).

SSR & OKW are pretty similar - Condo style units/park outside of your unit. Each one has it's own theme of course. Everything else has been mentioned - OKW - larger unit/elevator/no elavator, easy access to DS, etc. .

AK - different theme, hotel style, Jambo more restaurants on site, animals on site, a little out of the way. It's a tough choice. For something a little different, I would choose AK but love all of them for different reasons.

Curious which one you end up going with.
This time I ended up with none of them as a Marco Island popped up and I took it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Own and have loved all my stays at AKV. My ADHD nephew when 12yo went on his solo 1 week trip to WDW and we stayed there. It totally surprised his at home parents HOW much he loved this trip. We posed for many of the Disney photo-takers and I gave my sister the pass-code for the photos, as a form of "Proof of Life". This help the phone conversations with his home bound parents. He had no idea they could 'see' his day's activities and the parks we visited. He was happy to tell his parents what he was doing …. talking with them more in one phone that he might in a week when he was home.

A month later, my sister and her family travel down to Jacksonville for Easter. My sister surprised my nephew "Let's just the two of us go to WDW for the day". He totally refused .... stating "I only go to WDW with Aunt Linda." He did go to WDW again with his school's trip years later. Still has not gone with his family or other family members.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
You have to rely on buses for all those resorts anyway, so why would AKL be the full Disney experience?
AKL has the theme that you would expect from disney: the animals, the wow factor as soon as you enter the resort, the pools and restaurants are all first rate.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Take any of them.
They are all nice.
I own at SSR and they are going thru a refurb now so should be better soon.
Just stayed last year at OKW thru an RCI exchange and got a 1 bedroom that
was also recently remodeled. I requested a ground floor unit and got it since
I have a scooter.

But honestly I love AKV best of the 3.
Love Sanaa' my favorite restaurant at Disney right now, and the theme is so
beautifully done. Love sitting out at the fire pit, the pool is great, the staff are
lots of fun and many from Africa so you truly feel like you are in a far off land.

I think having a car makes things easier because everything is far but it's so
great to just hang out and do resort days there.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
1 AKL is currently on RCI + 10+ SSR of course :)

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
AK - Kidani Village, is my Favorite! The rooms are huge as well as upscale. The additional bathroom is so useful, and it allows the Master to actually function as a private oasis/Master suite. The theming and activity's are highly educational and very unique not to mention most are free! I have a few other favorite resorts for their theming, atmosphere and proximity to parks, but AK has form and function.

Last edited: