• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Open Season Rates no longer a good deal!!

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I tried to book an open season reservation for January 1st in a Platinum Season Resort. The rate for a 1 BR+ was $270 for a week night, and $290 for a weekend night. That is ridiculous. I called and wrote to HGVC to complain and tell them that they destroyed a very valuable benefit for HGVC membership. I hope they change their thought on this.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to book an open season reservation for January 1st in a Platinum Season Resort. The rate for a 1 BR+ was $270 for a week night, and $290 for a weekend night. That is ridiculous. I called and wrote to HGVC to complain and tell them that they destroyed a very valuable benefit for HGVC membership. I hope they change their thought on this.

Just to clarify, you are getting a 1 BR plus or 1 BR penthouse? for plat season at the cost of $1930 for a week?

Have you looked to see how much the room costs if you were to book it as a non HGVC member?

Have you looked at the cost of renting it from a owner?

How many points would it take to stay in that unit for the time you are planning? if you take your fees and divide by total points and multiply by points needed, what would it cost you if you were to book a points stay?

We all hate high prices, but if it costs you $400 a night to book that unit if you wern't a HGVC member, then it might be a good price. If it costs $200 a night to book the unit elsewhere, then it isn't a good price, and book through alternative means.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Open Season was a Good Deal now it is Expensive

Just to clarify, you are getting a 1 BR plus or 1 BR penthouse? for plat season at the cost of $1930 for a week?

All I need is two nights January 1st and 2nd. The cost on open season for the 1 BR Plus is $560 today. Yesterday it was $305 which was a good deal.

Have you looked to see how much the room costs if you were to book it as a non HGVC member? I can book the Hilton Hawaiian Village usually for about $250 a night, but other hotels can be booked for about $200/night. I already have a hotel room booked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village using Hilton Honors Points so my quest was to pay around $300 and save the points. At $560 it is expensive and no bargain.

Have you looked at the cost of renting it from a owner? I don't think anyone would have a spare January 1st and 2nd sitting around at the Hilton Hawaiian Village that they would rent me for $300.

How many points would it take to stay in that unit for the time you are planning? if you take your fees and divide by total points and multiply by points needed, what would it cost you if you were to book a points stay? Can't use points for two nights stays, also the points for these 1 BR Plus units would far exceed what I would be interested in paying.

We all hate high prices, but if it costs you $400 a night to book that unit if you wern't a HGVC member, then it might be a good price. If it costs $200 a night to book the unit elsewhere, then it isn't a good price, and book through alternative means.
All I can do to answer this is repeat: The cost on open season for the 1 BR Plus is $560 today. Yesterday it was $305 which was a good deal.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I agree, HGVC killed open season for me by raising prices. I've been spoiled by TUG LMR rates and Interval cash getaways. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I can do to answer this is repeat: The cost on open season for the 1 BR Plus is $560 today. Yesterday it was $305 which was a good deal.

I guess you are getting a preview of the new open season rates... which are going up almost 100% given what you are saying. I guess it is another "Enhancement" to the program.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

And three years ago the rate was $100 for weekdays, $120 for weekends. I wouldn't mind some modest price increases, but this is ridiculous. Yet another benefit to HGVC owners destroyed.

Kurt

sluggohill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a software glitch from the new Revolution "enhancements".

Looking at Jan 1 for a 2 night stay, Bay Club is listed at $780 for a 1 BR and $315 for a 2 BR. That doesn't make sense at all. HGVC on Paradise shows that you can only pay points for a 1BR - there is no cash option.

I called HGVC and asked about rates and the agent said club rates are increasing nominally - he said $10. He gave quotes that were different than what Revolution is showing.

Not sure what's going on, but I don't think they've gotten the software upgrades on Revolution out of beta stage.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do we think alike or what?

And three years ago the rate was $100 for weekdays, $120 for weekends. I wouldn't mind some modest price increases, but this is ridiculous. Yet another benefit to HGVC owners destroyed.

When I called and wrote to HGVC today I told them exactly what you just said. A $10 or $20 increase or a !0% increase could be accepted at the highly desired resorts durning the higher demand periods which is what they said were the only ones to be increased. But an increase of almost 100% is ridiculous.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it's a software glitch from the new Revolution "enhancements".

Looking at Jan 1 for a 2 night stay, Bay Club is listed at $780 for a 1 BR and $315 for a 2 BR. That doesn't make sense at all. HGVC on Paradise shows that you can only pay points for a 1BR - there is no cash option.

I called HGVC and asked about rates and the agent said club rates are increasing nominally - he said $10. He gave quotes that were different than what Revolution is showing.

Not sure what's going on, but I don't think they've gotten the software upgrades on Revolution out of beta stage.

I also called and they gave me the rates that I quoted over the phone as well as on the web site. I use the Classic System so that the revolution system shouldn't be the reason for the problem. Later in the day I pointed out to them in an e-mail that the Bay Club 1 BR was $780, they said that was odd and were going to look into it and get back to me.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
That Bay Club must be a coding error on the type, even a Platinum 1Br Penthouse doesnt add up to $780 for 2 nights. Its priced at 3 Br Penthouse rate.
642b5d4b9b16826f63aec4fe19af2439.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jestme

Reaction score
YIKES!!! :eek::eek: I looked at Classic, and this year, a 1BR+ is 387.46 for 2 nights at the Kalia. (Friday and Sat) A 1BR+ at Hokulani for 2 nights in January comes up as $660.96, also for a Friday and Sat!!!! Totally unacceptable increase. This had better be a pricing problem in the system, because if those are the true new rates, then I won't be staying anywhere near HGVC, or any Hilton brand hotel, ever again, including my timeshare. I will rent it out instead. :wave::wave:
Strange though, HGVC on I-Drive a 1BR (not plus) comes up as $292.50 for the same two nights in January????
When were they going to announce these new rates? Did they think people wouldn't notice the difference? They did a massive, unjustified increase last year as well!

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These are 2014 rates, new chart not out yet

That Bay Club must be a coding error on the type, even a Platinum 1Br Penthouse doesnt add up to $780 for 2 nights. Its priced at 3 Br Penthouse rate.
642b5d4b9b16826f63aec4fe19af2439.jpg

The rates in the chart that you posted are 2014 rates. 2015 chart not out yet but they will blow this chart away with higher rates per my conversation with Hilton Management.

jestme

Reaction score
I just sent an email requesting the new rate schedule, and an explanation of why any increase could be justified after last years increase debacle. I doubt that will get me far, but as we are already booking 2015, it doesn't seem to be too much to ask what the new rates are. I doubt Hilton buys anything in their purchasing system without the pricing options being available to them.
I hated the feeling I got last year when I felt we got shafted by an unannounced, massive price increase. I'm getting the same feeling this year already. It certainly isn't a feeling that induces me to buy another timeshare from them. :mad:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just sent an email requesting the new rate schedule, and an explanation of why any increase could be justified after last years increase debacle. I doubt that will get me far, but as we are already booking 2015, it doesn't seem to be too much to ask what the new rates are. I doubt Hilton buys anything in their purchasing system without the pricing options being available to them.
I hated the feeling I got last year when I felt we got shafted by an unannounced, massive price increase. I'm getting the same feeling this year already. It certainly isn't a feeling that induces me to buy another timeshare from them. :mad:

I guess you need to ask two questions:

1. Where does the money go from these open season rates? You should probably send that question to your HOA instead of to HGVC. Specifically, you should ask "Where do the open season rental rates and cash rental revenues go? what is that money spent on? how much is generated?"

While you do not have a full say into HGVC rates club wide, you have full voting rights for your association which generally includes the right to ask questions about financial records (in the state of florida, you can actually get a lot of information from associations). If you don't like the answers, you can push it further and even run for the board of your HOA.

2. Is the rate you are being charged less than the rate you would have to pay if you were to stay at a hotel or rent that same unit from hilton without being a HGVC member?

If the increased cash rental rates are resulting in your MF not increasing or not increasing as much as they could increase without that increase in cash rental rates, you might be looking at this penny wise by being pound foolish.

jestme

Reaction score
I guess you need to ask two questions:

1. Where does the money go from these open season rates? You should probably send that question to your HOA instead of to HGVC. Specifically, you should ask "Where do the open season rental rates and cash rental revenues go? what is that money spent on? how much is generated?"

While you do not have a full say into HGVC rates club wide, you have full voting rights for your association which generally includes the right to ask questions about financial records (in the state of florida, you can actually get a lot of information from associations). If you don't like the answers, you can push it further and even run for the board of your HOA.

2. Is the rate you are being charged less than the rate you would have to pay if you were to stay at a hotel or rent that same unit from hilton without being a HGVC member?

If the increased cash rental rates are resulting in your MF not increasing or not increasing as much as they could increase without that increase in cash rental rates, you might be looking at this penny wise by being pound foolish.
The rates are the same for all resorts in the program, worldwide, by room size and season. The HOA has no input to it at all.
I asked that revenue sharing question last year. The response was that all revenue went to HGVC, not the resort booked. So, even though the local HOA will have the cost of cleaning the rooms and other overhead costs (check in, garbage, etc.), the resort gets nothing from this revenue. In fact, in places where there is a hotel and timeshare sharing the facility, like the HHV, none of the revenue from on site restaurants, bars, or parking is shared either. All the overhead costs for the resort are though.:rolleyes:
As far as running for the board, Hilton are no idiots. They will always own enough owners percentage of the resort so they can maintain a majority on the board. I believe in Florida (the reigning law in HGVCland) the sold percentage is 80 or 85% before they have to provide the option to release control by allowing more owners on the board than developers. They can rent out the room weeks they keep through the hotel side of the business, so it's win, win for them.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Check out the HGVC website -- they literally just changed the Open Season rate sheet. I was there earlier today and it was still showing the 2014 rates.

Here are the 2015 rates:
OpenSeason2014.jpg

Note the price range now. There is no explanation on how the ranges will be used, but it seems that HGVC can simply just pick a rate within that range, depending on how they feel.

Like I said before -- Open Season is no longer a benefit for HGVC owners. :wall:

Kurt

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rates are the same for all resorts in the program, worldwide, by room size and season. The HOA has no input to it at all.
I asked that revenue sharing question last year. The response was that all revenue went to HGVC, not the resort booked. So, even though the local HOA will have the cost of cleaning the rooms and other overhead costs (check in, garbage, etc.), the resort gets nothing from this revenue. In fact, in places where there is a hotel and timeshare sharing the facility, like the HHV, none of the revenue from on site restaurants, bars, or parking is shared either. All the overhead costs for the resort are though.:rolleyes:
As far as running for the board, Hilton are no idiots. They will always own enough owners percentage of the resort so they can maintain a majority on the board. I believe in Florida (the reigning law in HGVCland) the sold percentage is 80 or 85% before they have to provide the option to release control by allowing more owners on the board than developers. They can rent out the room weeks they keep through the hotel side of the business, so it's win, win for them.

Actually, if they are renting out their own units (for open season and hotel side of things), then they are probably using the revenues to offset their required portion of MAINT fees.

My next question to them would be, is the developer current on their MFs?

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out the HGVC website -- they literally just changed the Open Season rate sheet. I was there earlier today and it was still showing the 2014 rates.

Here are the 2015 rates:
OpenSeason2014.jpg

Note the price range now. There is no explanation on how the ranges will be used, but it seems that HGVC can simply just pick a rate within that range, depending on how they feel.

Like I said before -- Open Season is no longer a benefit for HGVC owners. :wall:

Kurt

It is still a benefit, just not a benefit worth using. That being said, it is probably a supply/demand thing. If people stop paying then they will lower rates.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Open Season Ranges to support Affiliate Resorts?

Maybe the new Open Season ranges were designed to help accommodate differences b/w affiliate resorts or b/w tiered HGVC resorts?

For example, have you seen the seasonal breakdown for the Club Intrawest resorts? Talk about confusing!

Also, maybe HGVC is setting the stage to be more flexible with HGVC and other affiliate resorts. 1 BR at Grand Waikikian should be different than a 1 BR at Kalia.

I'm not screaming conspiracy just yet. Just need to see what happens or what new affiliates come to the HGVC portfolio in 2015/2016 before giving up on Open Season.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jason, so you finally agree with my initial title!

It is still a benefit, just not a benefit worth using. That being said, it is probably a supply/demand thing. If people stop paying then they will lower rates.

I started this thread with "Open Season no longer a good deal"

We as owners who pay our maintenance every year should get this benefit as a good deal, not the same rates as the public that doesn't own anything Hilton.

The outsiders who have big money may pay these rates. But they don't own.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Justme, take a look at the chart.

Take a look at the chart not same for every resort. It is ranges.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just sent this to Hilton

We, HGVC members, are waiting to hear what top Management says about our reaction to the exorbitant rate increases.. Owners don't want to be treated as everyone. We have bought into the system and expect a big discount off the rates that outsiders pay. Make outsiders own, as we do, or pay much more than us, not the same or just a little more. That is what we want. Nothing less will be acceptable to reward our good feelings and our dollars to buy HGVC property. We feel like family when we are at a Hilton, we want to feel like family when we book an open season reservation, not like the general public.

I just sent this to Barbara Rinks, Director of Member Services at HGVC Central Office. BRinks@HGVC.com

Send your own comments. Be respectful, indicate your displeasure, and expect to be treated as owners, members, and faithful Hilton people that expect to be rewarded for our dollars.

jestme

Reaction score
Take a look at the chart not same for every resort. It is ranges.

True, but we don't know yet what the ranges are for. It may not be resort, just special seasons (Daytona 500 weekend, New Year in Vegas, etc.).
I will be sending a note to her as well. I bought specifically because of Open Season, and the concept that as "owners", we were to be appreciated by getting very good preferred rates on OWNER OWNED time that they weren't using for that period. Apparently, I, along with a lot of others were wrong. Hilton is certainly not the professional organization I thought they were when I bought.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
True, but we don't know yet what the ranges are for. It may not be resort, just special seasons (Daytona 500 weekend, New Year in Vegas, etc.).
I will be sending a note to her as well. I bought specifically because of Open Season, and the concept that as "owners", we were to be appreciated by getting very good preferred rates on OWNER OWNED time that they weren't using for that period. Apparently, I, along with a lot of others were wrong. Hilton is certainly not the professional organization I thought they were when I bought.

Agree with all the above. This scares me, as I'm just starting to plan a large family reunion next summer, and we'll need Open Season in addition to Club Season rooms. But if the rates double, it could price out some of the family. I'm guessing, as jestme says, that the high rates are for special occasions. For Vegas in the summer, I really hope we'll see the bottom of that range.

-Bob

brial05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I travel every week ... staying in all brands of hotels as our Travel Agency allows me no choice :mad:

On this new chart, a one bedroom during PLATINUM Season tops out at $ 145 for Friday and Saturday .... $ 120 all other days ..... that is a VERY GOOD DEAL, period.

$ 145 will NEVER buy the anything close to the level of any Orlando offering for example.

And again that is a Platinum Season rate!