• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Open Season Rates have been Increased

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I just checked and some open season rates have been increased starting January 1, 2016. The Open Season Rates for Hawaii, both Honolulu and Waikaloa, have been increased by about 10% for the first 2 days of 2016 which are the only ones available in 2016 at this time.

I checked a few other resorts and didn't find any increase, but there could be others that I just didn't find or don't have any availability to be able to analyze.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was expecting it to happen. I figured when they backed down last year after all the complaints, they would just factor in small increases each year. I'm glad that you found some that didn't have in increase, though.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
7% increase in Club Dues
15% increase on reservation fees (as reported by someone)
10% increase on Open Season rates

This is either a cash grab, or the worst run operation on the planet given that there was hardly any inflation in 2015.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
7% increase in Club Dues
15% increase on reservation fees (as reported by someone)
10% increase on Open Season rates

This is either a cash grab, or the worst run operation on the planet given that there was hardly any inflation in 2015.

Can you post the actual $$

club dues
reservation fees
rescue/deposit fee

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land
Can you post the actual $$

club dues
reservation fees
rescue/deposit fee

I don't think they've been published yet .. the fee schedule link still brings up the 2015 rates: https://www.hgvclub.com/pdf/FeeSchedule.pdf

That said ... those of us that have paid our maintenance fees, already know the club dues went up to $150 (from $140) for US/Canadian owners.

Last edited:

jestme

Reaction score
I just checked and some open season rates have been increased starting January 1, 2016. The Open Season Rates for Hawaii, both Honolulu and Waikaloa, have been increased by about 10% for the first 2 days of 2016 which are the only ones available in 2016 at this time.

I checked a few other resorts and didn't find any increase, but there could be others that I just didn't find or don't have any availability to be able to analyze.

Hmmm. I made a reservation for Dec 31, Jan 1 1BR+ at Hokulani. Price was 358.97. (Thursday night and Friday) I checked (but didn't book) a 1BR+ this morning for Jan 1-2 and it was the same price.
I have two old 1BR+ reservations from 2014 at the HHV. One for Wed-Thursday for 330.48 or 165.24 each for a weekday and 387.46 or 193.73 each for a Friday or Saturday. 165.24+193.73 = 358.97, so my latest 1BR+ reservation is the same price as it was in 2014.
What room type did you check in Hawaii? Are you sure it isn't the "taxes" they add on to the reservations that makes the pricing different from the listed Open Season prices?

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Checked the Rates Again, They are UP but…!

Hmmm. I made a reservation for Dec 31, Jan 1 1BR+ at Hokulani. Price was 358.97. (Thursday night and Friday) I checked (but didn't book) a 1BR+ this morning for Jan 1-2 and it was the same price.
I have two old 1BR+ reservations from 2014 at the HHV. One for Wed-Thursday for 330.48 or 165.24 each for a weekday and 387.46 or 193.73 each for a Friday or Saturday. 165.24+193.73 = 358.97, so my latest 1BR+ reservation is the same price as it was in 2014.
What room type did you check in Hawaii? Are you sure it isn't the "taxes" they add on to the reservations that makes the pricing different from the listed Open Season prices?

After reading your note I checked the rates again. I am Elite Plus and have been since 2009 so I get a 15% discount. All these rates are for the Hokulani. Last year I booked a 1BR+ for January 1-2 which was a Thurs/Fri and the cost was $305.13. This year a One BR+ for January 1-2 is $353.56. Since that is a Fri/Sat I checked Jan 2-3 this morning and it is also $353.56 which should be the same as a Thurs/Fri. I also checked December 19-20 of 2015 which is a Sat/Sun and it is $305.13 the same as I paid last January for a Sat/Sun. I also contacted Barbara Rinks of HGVC and she said that the rates were going to be higher in 2016 for the more sort after locations such as Hawaii.

I know some of these Open Season rates don't make sense and you can check the rates you get if you want but I would say they are definitely up.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here are some examples I found this morning.

If these rates are now going to change based on hilton.com rates, we'll definitely see higher open season rates during peak summer and holidays.
Happy New Year! :annoyed:

Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacation Club Waikoloa, Hawaii

Unit Type: 2 Bedroom
Check-In date: 18-Dec-2015 (Friday after 4:00PM)
Check-Out date: 20-Dec-2015 (Sunday before 10:00AM)
Cost: $385.60 total amount (including tax)

Check-In date: 1-Jan-2016 (Friday after 4:00PM)
Check-Out date: 3-Jan-2016 (Sunday before 10:00AM)
Cost: $413.95 total amount (including tax)

Kings' Land Waikoloa, Hawaii

BLD1-11 1BRPRM/1KNG/4PPL/768SQFT

Unit Type: 1 Bedroom Premier
Cost: $442.30 total amount (including tax)

Cost: $476.32 total amount (including tax)

BLD1-11 2BR+/KNG/DD/6PPL/1080SQFT

Unit Type: 2 Bedroom Plus
Check-In date: 11-Dec-2015 (Friday after 4:00PM)
Check-Out date: 15-Dec-2015 (Tuesday before 10:00AM)
Cost: $827.90 total amount (including tax)

Check-Out date: 5-Jan-2016 (Tuesday before 10:00AM)
Cost: $929.96 total amount (including tax)

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some examples I found this morning.

If these rates are now going to change based on hilton.com rates, we'll definitely see higher open season rates during peak summer and holidays.
Happy New Year! :annoyed:

Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacation Club Waikoloa, Hawaii

Cost: $385.60 total amount (including tax)

Cost: $413.95 total amount (including tax)

Kings' Land Waikoloa, Hawaii

BLD1-11 1BRPRM/1KNG/4PPL/768SQFT

Cost: $442.30 total amount (including tax)

Cost: $476.32 total amount (including tax)

BLD1-11 2BR+/KNG/DD/6PPL/1080SQFT

Check-In date: 11-Dec-2015 (Friday after 4:00PM)
Check-Out date: 15-Dec-2015 (Tuesday before 10:00AM)
Cost: $827.90 total amount (including tax)

Check-Out date: 5-Jan-2016 (Tuesday before 10:00AM)
Cost: $929.96 total amount (including tax)

Don't get me wrong, I can see that the rates has gone up, but IMHO I don't think the change is that high. Its only 17$ Per Day for the 1br and 24.5$ for the 2br plus.

In our world(hgvc wise) everything goes up, and as long as most is willing to pay they make the prices go up.

Unless we do what we did earlier this year the prices WILL go up.

So we either accept it or try fight it.

Regards

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I can see that the rates has gone up, but IMHO I don't think the change is that high. Its only 17$ Per Day for the 1br and 24.5$ for the 2br plus.

In our world(hgvc wise) everything goes up, and as long as most is willing to pay they make the prices go up.

Unless we do what we did earlier this year the prices WILL go up.

So we either accept it or try fight it.

Regards
Look at the percentage increase. .. it is Nuts. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Look at the percentage increase. .. it is Nuts. ..

I see a class action suit looming. Especially in light that inflation is low and the Social Security cost of living adjustment for 2016 is 0.

They advertised and people purchased with the open season rate structure much lower.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see a class action suit looming. Especially in light that inflation is low and the Social Security cost of living adjustment for 2016 is 0.

They advertised and people purchased with the open season rate structure much lower.
They don't promise static rates anywhere. It like most of the other fees are a cash grab.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I see a class action suit looming...

Uh.. no. They never promised that fees and rates would remain frozen. Actually, the existence of the club itself is optional as the rules provide that it may be discontinued at any time. Of course, they need it to sell units, but if Hilton were to weary of whining from the unwashed masses, who knows?

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

We really can't detemine the true impact until they published the 2016 club fee chart.
As I wrote previously, if these rates are now going to change based on hilton.com rates, we'll definitely see higher open season rates during peak summer and holidays.

Here's what they wrote last December on their facebook page.
Open Season Rental rates remain flexible based on location, season, day of the week and demand. Beginning in 2015, some nightly rates remain similar to those of the previous year, and some increased rates are based on the location, season or day of the week that are historically in higher demand by our Club Members.

The intention of this update was to offer these accommodations during the 30 day booking window at a percentage-off of what can be found on Hilton.com,

I'm simply disgusted with the whole thing. :annoyed:
They have increased Open Season rates substantially over the last several years (see chart below).

OPEN SEASON FEE INCREASES OVER THE YEARS

13043211994_c8c27a8a72_o.jpg

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Uh.. no. They never promised that fees and rates would remain frozen. Actually, the existence of the club itself is optional as the rules provide that it may be discontinued at any time. Of course, they need it to sell units, but if Hilton were to weary of whining from the unwashed masses, who knows?

A selling premise of the HGV "Club" that we purchased is that there would be significant discounts on units that we owners deposit back into the system. This feature has been openly advertised with rates published.

Although HGVC does not have to freeze rates, when the discount becomes something within reach of what could be purchased by a non-owner via a discount channel then the benefit of paying thousands of dollars for a timeshare vs. anyone who hasn't paid for the privilege of being in the "club" evaporates.

Hilton would be a desirable deep pocket target for savvy class action lawyers - and such lawyers have sued for much less. Sad part is that the only people who win in in such cases are the class action lawyers who reap big fees.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
A selling premise of the HGV "Club" that we purchased is that there would be significant discounts on units that we owners deposit back into the system. This feature has been openly advertised with rates published.

Although HGVC does not have to freeze rates, when the discount becomes something within reach of what could be purchased by a non-owner via a discount channel then the benefit of paying thousands of dollars for a timeshare vs. anyone who hasn't paid for the privilege of being in the "club" evaporates.

Hilton would be a desirable deep pocket target for savvy class action lawyers - and such lawyers have sued for much less. Sad part is that the only people who win in in such cases are the class action lawyers who reap big fees.

Even though the lawyers are the only winners money-wise as long as WE the HGVC owners win the case then the rates must be lowered. To me thats a win-win.

Regards

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though the lawyers are the only winners money-wise as long as WE the HGVC owners win the case then the rates must be lowered. To me thats a win-win.

Regards
Until they respond by raising club dues 100 percent.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Large Discount from what Non-Owner Pays

I agree with this statement. Furthermore I have been in contact with Barbara Rinks, Director of Club and Owner Services about this issue. Below is my last e-mail to her yesterday that conveys my thought on this subject.

Thank you Barbara for your e-mail clarifying that the inventory that is offered during Open Season is in fact inventory that was not reserved by owner/members during the Club Reservation Period which is what my analysis revealed. I concur that the club rules, which HGVC wrote, do state that HGVC has the right to use that inventory basically for whatever it wants.

However, the Open Season inventory is inventory that owner/members own and did not give up to the HGVC for Hilton Honors Points or other perks. Therefore, owner/members should be able to reserve that time at a large discount from that which the general public pays.

jestme

Reaction score
My humble perspective:
If a company or group had 150,000 employees / members (the number of HGVC members there are), Hilton would give them massive discounts to get exclusive hotel status with that company or group. They would be chasing them for that opportunity. Maybe if HGVC members would check out Marriott or Hyatt or other large hotel chains as a group, we would do better than Hilton is treating their members.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
My humble perspective:
If a company or group had 150,000 employees / members (the number of HGVC members there are), Hilton would give them massive discounts to get exclusive hotel status with that company or group. They would be chasing them for that opportunity. Maybe if HGVC members would check out Marriott or Hyatt or other large hotel chains as a group, we would do better than Hilton is treating their members.

First there are 250k members.

Second, they give status to TS owners in the HHonors program. Owning at HGVC is also the only way left to pool HHonors accounts and create a joint one (this is a very valuable benefit for a married couple).

A big chunk of most members vacation dollars is already spent on TS, and this group unlike business travelers doesn't travel as much in hotels.

Big corps like GE get 30-60% off room rates at Hilton, and their employees spend tens of millions of dollars on hotel stays (after discount). HGVC isn't even a blip on the radar. Heck, even AAA only gets what a 10% rate reduction.

jestme

Reaction score
First there are 250k members.

Second, they give status to TS owners in the HHonors program. Owning at HGVC is also the only way left to pool HHonors accounts and create a joint one (this is a very valuable benefit for a married couple).

A big chunk of most members vacation dollars is already spent on TS, and this group unlike business travelers doesn't travel as much in hotels.

Big corps like GE get 30-60% off room rates at Hilton, and their employees spend tens of millions of dollars on hotel stays (after discount). HGVC isn't even a blip on the radar. Heck, even AAA only gets what a 10% rate reduction.

I stand corrected on the 250,000, however, status in the HHonors program when you don't get HHonors points for anything, including room, restaurants, bars, etc. for an HGVC stay pretty well eliminates that benefit.
If you want to pool points, simply have the cardholder book the room, who stays there is never checked. Besides, with rooms now costing 250,000 points per night for the Waikikian that isn't really a great benefit to most. I usually use up my full years HHonors points earnings booking a pre-flight Hampton Inn prior to my HGVC vacation. Besides, if you use a lot of hotel rooms, by pooling your points, you would get status pretty easily anyhow.
Big corporations don't only book hotel rooms. They often book suites for their executives, so their corporate discounts apply to suites as well as hotel rooms. Even 4 nights at a hotel for the 250,000 HGVC members would be over a million "room nights." Even at $100 / night (which is cheap), that's $100M. Certainly not a "blip on the radar".

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected on the 250,000, however, status in the HHonors program when you don't get HHonors points for anything, including room, restaurants, bars, etc. for an HGVC stay pretty well eliminates that benefit.
If you want to pool points, simply have the cardholder book the room, who stays there is never checked. Besides, with rooms now costing 250,000 points per night for the Waikikian that isn't really a great benefit to most. I usually use up my full years HHonors points earnings booking a pre-flight Hampton Inn prior to my HGVC vacation. Besides, if you use a lot of hotel rooms, by pooling your points, you would get status pretty easily anyhow.
Big corporations don't only book hotel rooms. They often book suites for their executives, so their corporate discounts apply to suites as well as hotel rooms. Even 4 nights at a hotel for the 250,000 HGVC members would be over a million "room nights." Even at $100 / night (which is cheap), that's $100M. Certainly not a "blip on the radar".

AAA has 55.6 MILLION members. I don't realistically think HGVC members should expect a rate better than they offer.

http://newsroom.aaa.com/about-aaa/aaa-fact-sheet/

and Hilton Worldwide made $10.5 Billion without offering a single discount to HGVC members in 2014. Even if your $100M number is correct (which I highly doubt), this is a blip (less than 1% of revenue... almost a rounding error). On top of that, most of the time you can get a room for ~$100 a night at the Hampton inns (not really that profitable), and possibly even the Embassy suites. Discounting those rooms makes little sense for Hilton as people would probably stay there anyways.

What would made sens for Hilton, is if they got HGVC members to each take 4 nights at $300 a night (regularly 5-700/night). That would be $300M of revenue in profitable rooms.

If you want to pay that, then be my guest, but expecting discounts at their already discounted chains is not likely (especially in excess of what you can already get through other "clubs" or priceline etc..)

jestme

Reaction score
AAA has 55.6 MILLION members. I don't realistically think HGVC members should expect a rate better than they offer.

http://newsroom.aaa.com/about-aaa/aaa-fact-sheet/

and Hilton Worldwide made $10.5 Billion without offering a single discount to HGVC members in 2014. Even if your $100M number is correct (which I highly doubt), this is a blip (less than 1% of revenue... almost a rounding error). On top of that, most of the time you can get a room for ~$100 a night at the Hampton inns (not really that profitable), and possibly even the Embassy suites. Discounting those rooms makes little sense for Hilton as people would probably stay there anyways.

What would made sens for Hilton, is if they got HGVC members to each take 4 nights at $300 a night (regularly 5-700/night). That would be $300M of revenue in profitable rooms.

If you want to pay that, then be my guest, but expecting discounts at their already discounted chains is not likely (especially in excess of what you can already get through other "clubs" or priceline etc..)

After another increase like this years, I won't be spending that with them, and I have told them so. I will go elsewhere for $300 / night, and get maid service every day, get to book a year in advance, pick my room, get program points, get credit for points, stays, etc. I will also eat, drink and spend at the other hotel, which Hilton used to count on as "ancillary revenue" from my Open Season stays. As many have pointed out, the general public already gets a better price in Vegas than we do, now, that is moving to HGVC's other locations as well. It won't be hard to switch.
Keep in mind, your $10.5B number includes timeshare sales. Without Open Season value, it is a MUCH harder sell to get someone to pony up Hilton's kind of money to buy simply for a weeks vacation. I know I wouldn't have bought without it.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will go elsewhere for $300 / night, and get maid service every day, get to book a year in advance, pick my room, get program points, get credit for points, stays, etc.

It does sound like a much better deal to stay somewhere else.