• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Online Notary Service

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be directed towards our members in less populated areas but, has anyone ever heard of or used an online notary service? :ponder:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
How it is possible? In CA at least, notaries have to confirm your ID and get a thumb print....

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your bank will do it for free.

I think that the idea, albeit somewhat costly, may serve a purpose. :ponder:

Living in an area that time forgot, the nearest bank is 18 miles away. The closest Notary can be found at the library which is only 15 miles away. Though a nice lady, she is only there on
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9:00 a.m. and 3 p.m. Should your documents require more than one witness, either bring them along or hope someone else is
at the library reading, returning or checking out a book. Of course they also must be willing to help out.

Living in an extremely rural area does have it's advantages no doubt, but it's not without its drawbacks.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
:shrug:

Nope, not in CA and most states.
Customer Alerts
  • Posted July 19, 2016
    California Notaries Public Cannot Perform Notarial Services Online: Online webcam notarizations are invalid and illegal activities for California notaries public.
    California notaries public should beware of misleading information from private companies claiming to have legal online notarization websites and legal online notarization services. Web-based platforms that purport to allow a person to submit copies of identification over the Internet and to use a webcam in lieu of a personal appearance in front of a notary public (e.g., appearance via webcam) do not meet the requirements for notarization by California notaries public.
  • https://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/customer-alerts/

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I am a Notary. You cannot notarize a signature without the person being before you. You are required to confirm their identity, unless the person is known to you. It is simply not possible to do online.

You can notraize a copy of a document as being a true copy without the person present, but again you need to see the original document in order to certify the copy is a true copy of the original. Again, you cannot do this online.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Notary. You cannot notarize a signature without the person being before you. You are required to confirm their identity, unless the person is known to you. It is simply not possible to do online.

You can notraize a copy of a document as being a true copy without the person present, but again you need to see the original document in order to certify the copy is a true copy of the original. Again, you cannot do this online.

What is remote notarization?
With remote notarization, a signer personally appears before the Notary at the time of the notarization using audio-visual technology over the internet instead of being physically present in the same room. Remote online notarization is also called webcam notarization, online notarization or virtual notarization.

What states allow remote notarization?
Currently, 22 states have passed remote notarization laws. Out of those states, 17 have laws that are in effect as of January 1, 2020. Starting Janary 1, 2020, 13 of these states will have fully implemented their remote notarization procedures, meaning the law has taken effect and Notaries are currently authorized to perform remote online notarizations in those states.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the physical stamp?

Here a just a few that explain the process.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Here a just a few that explain the process.

These are the companies the Ca secretary of state is talking about.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
That could very well be and just to be clear, I'm not endorsing any of these companies. I just posted the links so others could review and decide for themselves. We both understand that what the Secretary of State of California decides only applies to California. I haven't read any information about any other states having issues though. ;)

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was actually curious about the raised stamp. It seems it isn't necessary.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was actually curious about the raised stamp. It seems it isn't necessary.
Seems the old "raised" stamps are no longer needed. Just a plain old ink stamp containing the proper information. Tap down on it and you're good to go.