• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Yes, weeks in the Caribbean or Spain are probably the best option. Something I learned in Aruba is if you have any Marriott.com reservation (points or cash) they will give you an additional discount. We had a single night reservation at an Element in Miami before we flew to Aruba. They would have given us something like $1,000-$1,500 (can't remember exact number) discount off the purchase. They just needed a confirmation number. It didn't matter that it was a free stay on Bonvoy points. Never go into a presentation with the intent to purchase without either an active Encore or Marriott.com booking. Just another way to squeeze a few cents out of the final per point cost. They will even do the same if you are on a reservation you rented from an owner.
I believe they call it a “linking credit” when we have done a presentation and it has always been $1500. If buying I wouldn’t mention it until after I was satisfied I had extracted the maximum incentives from them.

I do think the reservation has to be within 14 days of your purchase (and obviously your current timeshare stay won’t count).

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
They didn’t explain why it was available. We purchased and closed on that week a year ago, so it should be eligible.

I’d like to enroll our weeks and get another week as I think that would give me the weeks and flexibility I need to manage through high school and college trips. I’m not sure now is the best time as we have to pay for college, but I’m looking at options. You have a good contact for Aruba or Spain right? If so do you mind DM me with the contact?

You'd have to think long and hard before shelling out $41,000 to enroll a week. Is it really worth it? Are you finding you are not getting the trades you want in Interval International?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe they call it a “linking credit”
That sounds about right. I think they might have used the term "linkage credit". Certainly a way to save a few extra bucks off a purchase. Do they do something similar on the Vistana side?

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
You'd have to think long and hard before shelling out $41,000 to enroll a week. Is it really worth it? Are you finding you are not getting the trades you want in Interval International?

The flexibility to go for a couple nights a time is valuable to us. And to have the ability to bank for years we can use it. And I think we can use at least another week and eventually maybe another after the kids start having families. My real goal is to have enough to pay for the kids to bring their families so I can trap them into hanging out with us even when they grow up.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The flexibility to go for a couple nights a time is valuable to us. And to have the ability to bank for years we can use it. And I think we can use at least another week and eventually maybe another after the kids start having families. My real goal is to have enough to pay for the kids to bring their families so I can trap them into hanging out with us even when they grow up.

I don't know if you have points now or not, but if you do you can just go ahead and rent additional points for whatever you need. Renting points is a far better value than owning points as you won't tie up your cash.

One additional thing I may add: A lot of folks on TUG appear to be complaining of being unable to make their desired points reservations due to lack of inventory. This leads me to believe that the points system isn't as robust as Marriott would make you think.

At least with weeks ownership you can reserve a week in your designated season if you carefully plan well in advance.

Disclosure; I own points and weeks, and the weeks are far more satisfactory to me either with my home resort or using Interval International. It is far cheaper using weeks at any time versus the use of points.

You definitely pay for the points flexibility!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That sounds about right. I think they might have used the term "linkage credit". Certainly a way to save a few extra bucks off a purchase. Do they do something similar on the Vistana side?
Vistana has offered it for at least a few years. The first time I ran into this was at a presentation at the Westin Kierland in early January 2020. I had just come back from a trip to Shanghai (good timing right! :p) and the salesperson was all excited because I could have used my stay at a Le Meridian hotel there to get a $1500 credit towards the purchase of a 2BR plat unit.

And you’re right on the term “Linkage”. When we were at our most recent presentation at the Lagunamar in March they wrote it down on a sheet of paper with their offer (I did grab a photo of it).

I’m pretty sure it came up at Steamboat Springs Sheraton last summer, but didn’t grab a photo of that since I was more focused on the Abound value that our Vistana weeks were being assigned.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Vistana has offered it for at least a few years. The first time I ran into this was at a presentation at the Westin Kierland in early January 2020. I had just come back from a trip to Shanghai (good timing right! :p) and the salesperson was all excited because I could have used my stay at a Le Meridian hotel there to get a $1500 credit towards the purchase of a 2BR plat unit.

And you’re right on the term “Linkage”. When we were at our most recent presentation at the Lagunamar in March they wrote it down on a sheet of paper with their offer (I did grab a photo of it).

I’m pretty sure it came up at Steamboat Springs Sheraton last summer, but didn’t grab a photo of that since I was more focused on the Abound value that our Vistana weeks were being assigned.
Do you remember the qualification to receive it on the Vistana side? My memory says it has to be immediately before or after your stay at the timeshare resort and it has to be a paid reservation, not points. It's been known to be faulty, though ;)

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you remember the qualification to receive it on the Vistana side? My memory says it has to be immediately before or after your stay at the timeshare resort and it has to be a paid reservation, not points. It's been known to be faulty, though ;)
You’re assuming my memory is better!

I don’t know the technical details - for some reason the number 14 sticks in my head. Now whether that is 14 days before or after the stay or presentation I’m not sure (or perhaps it could be 7 days before and after?).

It definitely did not have to be immediately adjacent. For our March presentation at Lagunamar they used my stay at a Sheraton in Hong Kong where I checked out on the 21st. Our Lagunamar check-in date was the 25th. I didn’t have another Bonvoy reservation until April 12th (my next hotel stay following Lagunamar was at a Fairmont).

Most of my stays are paid through work so unsure whether a Bonvoy redemption would work for Linkage (I’ll hit Titanium through nights next week).

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
At MGO today and received the following offer (roughly, I didn't snap a picture):

Buy 3000 points to enroll one week; 4000 for two, etc with a max of 6 weeks allowed to enroll.

Cost for 3000 was like $13.80 / pt = $41,000 ish
Cost for 4000 was like $12.80 / pt = $51,000 ish
Plus received credit for the cost of our encore week of $1799
Plus 12,000 one time use points to be used in two years at 4000 pts. I think it was 6000 if you bought 3000 pts

But ... I was told that our MGC week was not eligible for enrollment; which wiped out any interest. The MGO Gold Ocean side they said was worth 3200 or 3400 range for enrollment. I mentioned Spain / St Kitts / Aruba and they gave me all these reasons not to buy those (its foreign land, it's right to use and not perpetual, etc. etc.) and said they can't sell those anyway so I'd have to call those resorts directly.
Just to clarify, would you be buying 3000/4000 Abound points in addition to having your weeks enrolled, or will they be taking ownership of those weeks? How many points would you receive for each enrolled week that you enroll.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Just to clarify, would you be buying 3000/4000 Abound points in addition to having your weeks enrolled, or will they be taking ownership of those weeks? How many points would you receive for each enrolled week that you enroll.
It was points plus keep my weeks and they get enrolled. The MGO week was spike 3300 pts and MGC is 3500 ish. I don’t recall exactly. But over the 10k pts needed for presidential. But again for some unexplained reason they said I couldn’t enroll MGC.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
At MGO today and received the following offer (roughly, I didn't snap a picture):

Buy 3000 points to enroll one week; 4000 for two, etc with a max of 6 weeks allowed to enroll.

Cost for 3000 was like $13.80 / pt = $41,000 ish
Cost for 4000 was like $12.80 / pt = $51,000 ish
Plus received credit for the cost of our encore week of $1799
Plus 12,000 one time use points to be used in two years at 4000 pts. I think it was 6000 if you bought 3000 pts

But ... I was told that our MGC week was not eligible for enrollment; which wiped out any interest. The MGO Gold Ocean side they said was worth 3200 or 3400 range for enrollment. I mentioned Spain / St Kitts / Aruba and they gave me all these reasons not to buy those (its foreign land, it's right to use and not perpetual, etc. etc.) and said they can't sell those anyway so I'd have to call those resorts directly.
$51k-$8.4 (12000 bonus points value at 70cents each)=$42800 to enroll 6 weeks is the best I have seen in the past few months. Works out to about $7100 a week. Cheapest I have seen lately not including Grand Residence fractionals.