• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ongoing request vs searching online

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I was wondering how many people do the ongoing request instead of searching online daily.

whats works best for you.

I have only done 1 ongoing request and after 2 weeks i found something else in a different year that was too good to pass up.

my score
searching online 13 ongoing request 0

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only owned my TS for a year, and have only made one exchange, so my experience is limited.

I have spent a fair amount of time searching online just to see what I could see. Have never seen something I just couldn't pass up. But then we have school-age children and are so are limited in when we can travel with them.

When planning my summer 2006 vacation, I put in an ongoing search. It was fulfilled about 3 weeks later. I got the Westin St. John, so I was very pleased. Granted, it isn't high season, but having been to the Virgin islands in both spring and summer, we enjoy the more relaxed, less crowded summer.

(now if we could only control the hurricane factor!)

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on the exchange company

With RCI, I've had better luck by searching online. Even when I was running an ongoing search, I found what I wanted online while the search did not match.
With II, it's been the opposite. In only one case did I find an exchange online. All others have been confirmed by ongoing searches.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I guess you figured I would have something to say.

The knowledge one gains by searching themselves far outweighs any other considerations.

That, and for us nearly ten years of frustration relying on Guides and dubious computers, means a quick search myself every morning. I do four searches in about ten minutes.

We eventually get what we want doing that.

We're up to about 90 exchanges now.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very good point. I search every day and also put in ongoing requests. The fact that I search every day has provided me with invaluable information of what to expect when with different regions and properties. I know very specifically how II works with Marriott properties for example. I know what will show up on line, and what I need to put in a search for.

JLB said:
IThe knowledge one gains by searching themselves far outweighs any other considerations.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still relatively new to exchanges and have signed up for both SFX and RCI last year. On RCI and have been unable to find anything really interesting online so asked about ongoing searches and the RCI guide told me that he would need to charge me $177 for just putting the search in.
Are they correct? If so, I am not very comfortable paying in advance for starting a search rather than when I got a match. Also I think the exchange fee has gone up from last Sept/Oct since I remember $129.

iameless

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what this is worth. We just bought last year -deposited into RCI 10-11 months in advance. Paid our ongoing search fee. But have yet to exchange. We really wanted a 2BR unit to use this spring 2006 for a last family vacation - but RCI convinced us that it would be better to split our unit into two units and do two separate searches. they said it would be impossible for us to find a 2BR in the Caribbean. Of course, being new to this entire process - and actually believing some of the stuff that we were told -thought that although we knew we couldn't be choosy, we wouldn't have any trouble finding SOMEWHERE in the Caribbean to exchange into during spring break (Please don't laugh!) Of course, nothing!

So nothing but some poorly rated resorts in the DR ever showed up in one year of searches. We ended up booking a charter package for our family and just changed our ongoing searches to search for something next spring. Still nothing at all has shown up - nothing! I've called RCI several times just to chat - they've called me on several occasions. So I'm not at all unhappy with their service - just wish my unit would pull something!

BUT...I have also gone in several times a day doing other searches using these two units - searching the same areas (just in case - but still nothing) and other areas of interest. At least it gives me an idea of what my unit(s) are capable of pulling up. It's surprising sometimes to see what IS available out there. I've been able to pull some very nice 2BR places using my studio half and some 2BR in the same resort with my 1BR unit. Thus turning 2BR into 4 - not a bad deal. Live and keep learning!

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done well searching online, except for Hawaii. There I have only had luck with ongoing request. Both Hawaii ongoing requests gave me a 2 BR for my 1 BR.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
As you know, my results are the same as yours. Searching ourselves we eventually find something that will work.

It still takes as long, probably, and an ongoing search might have found the same thing, maybe, but I think the dissatisfaction in not getting exchanges that many are expressing is because they are not actively doing something.

When you just sit and hear nothing it drives you crazy, but if you are actively searching every day, and seeing stuff, even if it's not stuff you want, it makes you feel a little better. At least you know what is available, rather than thinking there is nothing at all available.

It's sorta like driving into Branson. There are only two routes, because of bridges crossing the lake. Sometimes we start out the short way, but if there is an accident the road will be blocked. So we turn around and go the long way. It probably takes longer, but driving, even if it is driving the wrong way, seems more productive than sitting and going nowhere.

Perhaps I have ADD! But who doesn't!?

When I did Resorts on the Beach this morning, I saw 52 for January 2007 and 49 for January 2008. I don't want any of them, but at least I know the cupboard is not bare, and those are there if I want them.

As I've said several times, I have not heard form anyone who has gotten something I might have wanted because they were doing an ongoing search. Has anyone gotten a resort on the beach for SW Florida for January with an ongoing search? If so, when and where?

Drop me an email.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
MaryH said:
I am still relatively new to exchanges and have signed up for both SFX and RCI last year. On RCI and have been unable to find anything really interesting online so asked about ongoing searches and the RCI guide told me that he would need to charge me $177 for just putting the search in.
Are they correct? If so, I am not very comfortable paying in advance for starting a search rather than when I got a match. Also I think the exchange fee has gone up from last Sept/Oct since I remember $129.

Yes, you have to pre-pay the exchange fee. US is $149, international is $189

I don't like that either.

I don't do ongoing requests because it's rare that we want to go somewhere specific. We like doing the "what's available in this timeframe?" You just never know what tasty morsel will pop up that you didn't request.

quiltergal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must be the oddball in the crowd. I have had great success with ongoing searches. I've gotten Hawaii 4 times using ongoings. I've never not gotten what I've wanted with an ongoing search. My most recent exchange I was successful in getting a 2 BR in Kona. I've also gotten some good exchanges by searching online myself. Landed a week in Grand Cayman by doing a daily search online myself.

The key to success of course is early deposit early request. On my ongoing searches I generally search at least a year in advance sometimes two. I usually get a hit within 2-3 weeks. It's not always what I want and I have thrown more than one back in the pool. A couple of weeks later something else will pop up that I like better.

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that a combination of ongoing and manual searches works best. Ongoing searches DO work sometimes. I have picked up a couple of difficult exchanges (Europe and Hawaii) but have also had the experience of waiting and never matching anything. You just never know. There is no downside to an ongoing search other than paying the exchange fee up front. No big deal IMO. You can still search online using the ongoing search week, so if something good comes up you can grab it. I usually have an ongoing search running for something and do periodic manual sarches at the same time.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had very good luck, in the past, with ongoing searches. However, last year we had a search for the Oregon coast and nothng was matching. I ran the same search manually and came up with a hit. I guess, if you have the time, do both.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I recently had a discussion with my Inside Guy about that, me saying that that is the only purchase I pay for when I am contemplating the purchase, not when I actually make it.

He gave me an explanation about all the expense involved in conducting an ongoing search, even those initated on-line. That and the fact that if they did not charge the fee upfront, frivolous searches by curiosity seekers would overwhelm the system.

Guess that's why they gave us frivolous curiosity seekers RCI.com. ;)

geekette said:
Yes, you have to pre-pay the exchange fee. US is $149, international is $189

I don't like that either.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
No, you are not an oddball, at least not on this issue.

The majority use ongoing searches, believing what they are told, that if they are not waiting in line they will not get that week they want when it is deposited.

Long lines are formed when people are told they need to wait in line.

It would be interesting to know what happens to a prime week they want to rent because they will get so much more for it, but one that has an ongoing search for it when it is deposited. Do you think the computer has scruples?

quiltergal said:
I must be the oddball in the crowd. I have had great success with ongoing searches. .

Last edited:

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
We had had luck with ongoing searches ~~ once even got what we wanted on the first phone call ~~ never even had to start a search. But a few years back while we had a search on, I decided to check on line one last time before we left for vacation. Boy am I glad I did! RCI had put a unit on hold for us the afternoon before, and I had never gotten a call. If I hadn't found that hold and called, we would've lost that week! The hold was only on 'till the end end of the day - if it weren't for me seeing it that morning ... Now I'll only search myself on line ... works out very well, too. I agree with some of the previous posts also, there's a lot to be said for "doing something" yourself.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Once you've space banked a week, you only have two choices: pay the exchange fee or forfeit the deposit and get nothing.
As long as you accept that you are stuck with paying the exchange fee, the only difference between paying it as soon as you deposit the spacebank or much later when you might get an online match is the timevalue of the exchange fee. I'll be reasonable and say that is $25 (its probably less).
Develop a short list of resorts that you want in a time frame you want. Put in the ongoing request. Monitor it frequently (daily in some cases) because it is RCI policy to change your parameters unless you've exchanged within the previous 12 months (check Ask RCI). Your maximum risk is $25. You can always do a manual search against an ongoing search without upsetting your ongoing search. If you match nothing due to inadequate trade power, then you'll be at or near the front of the line when you get inside the 45 day window. Remember to call a VG (or VC) inside of 4 weeks to change the parameter to 4 days.
Jack

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
JLB said:
... He gave me an explanation about all the expense involved in conducting an ongoing search, even those initated on-line. ...
I'd be curious to hear whatever you remember about what they think their marginal expenses are to initiate an online ongoing search

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've had a really good hit online, mostly I search ongoing now. But I still log in and check around to see what's out there. That's with RCI.

With II, I've only one hit an online search, and that was a result of a TUG sighting for a bulk bank deposit. Everything else I've gotten as an ongoing.

Bev

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
He talked about the expenses of maintaining the search and follow-up, etc.

If I'm guessing where you're going, yeah, I thought that's what computers were for. ;)

And a search started on-line, how could that involve much personpower or follow-up, except to handle it if a confirmation is made.

I guess there's stuff we will never know, or never need to know, about how the big machine works. :cool:

jacknsara said:
I'd be curious to hear whatever you remember about what they think their marginal expenses are to initiate an online ongoing search

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I know I'm just repeating myself I know I'm just repeating myself, but after all these years of searching every morning, and getting some feedback, even if it is not what we want, I just do not believe I could sit and wait and not hear a thing for months and months.

I would not know if what I want is not available or if the computers are not working, or if they lost my request, or if they suspended my privileges because they saw an ad somewhere for an exchange for rent and they could not place anyone with it and they dug up some old letters of mine to Ken May so they just picked me . . . :cool:

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
jacknsara said:
.... Remember to call a VG (or VC) inside of 4 weeks to change the parameter to 4 days.
Jack

Could someone clarify what this means. Does an ongoing search not work within 4 weeks? I have heard that is does not work within 2 weeks.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
We've done 6 exchanges. All but one were done with ongoing search. Right now, in our lives we have to travel during school vacations. So I find it necessary to use ongoing searches. However, I do occassionally go online to see what is available. I don't do it daily anymore as the novelity has worn off.