• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One of the biggest myths about EVs is busted in new study

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
From the article:
"A new study lays to rest the tired argument that electric vehicles aren’t much cleaner than internal combustion vehicles. Over the life cycle of an EV — from digging up the materials needed to build it to eventually laying the car to rest — it will release fewer greenhouse gas emissions than a gas-powered car, the research found. That holds true globally, whether an EV plugs into a grid in Europe with a larger share of renewables, or a grid in India that still relies heavily on coal. "

Well I love my EV. We still have an ICE car but when we get rid of it the plan is to switch to an EV.

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Well I love my EV. We still have an ICE car but when we get rid of it the plan is to switch to an EV.
What'cha got? I have a Chevy Bolt EV and am looking at a Hybrid to replace our ICE.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I was trying to figure out what cars they compared EV to, couldn't find it. Also, it seemed they accounted for future battery and other improvements in EVs over 20 years, but not gas vehicles. Glad we're moving to EVs though, as technology is catching up.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What'cha got? I have a Chevy Bolt EV and am looking at a Hybrid to replace our ICE.
DW is driving a Honda Clarity PHEV. My Tundra will go away when my Ford F-150 Lightning arrives.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad your at least replacing it with an American built truck. Thanks for supporting Detroit/Ford.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad your at least replacing it with an American built truck. Thanks for supporting Detroit/Ford.
Assembled in USA from foreign components. Sorry to say, we already GAVE all the rare earth magnet technology (developed by GM) to China.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Toyota Tundra is the MOST American big pickup. Built in San Antonio TX from (more) U.S. built components than the 'big three. But yes, I'm looking forward to the Dearborn product.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course they don't take into account the coal-fired electric plants in China and elsewhere used to generate the power to charge these vehicles.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Of course they don't take into account the coal-fired electric plants in China and elsewhere used to generate the power to charge these vehicles.
Actually they did. They broke it down by various regions based upon how "dirty" the electricity generation is.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you see the part about keeping the car on the road for 18 years? Not very likely in the US or other large economies.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you see the part about keeping the car on the road for 18 years? Not very likely in the US or other large economies.
Just because YOU get tired of a car, doesn't mean it gets scrapped. Hello ... used car market?

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just because YOU get tired of a car, doesn't mean it gets scrapped.
Visit any junk yards lately? The tech advances over 18 years would generally rule out people keeping cars that long. These will only increase in the future.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Visit any junk yards lately? The tech advances over 18 years would generally rule out people keeping cars that long. These will only increase in the future.
Late model cars in junk yards are usually from accidents.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, I do have some skin in the game. I drive a Kia Niro Plugin Hybrid. I live to far away from a city center for a pure EV.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At least WV still has a market to export its 100 year supply of coal to China.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, I do have some skin in the game. I drive a Kia Niro Plugin Hybrid. I live to far away from a city center for a pure EV.
Pure EV is not going to have a ruined engine from not changing the engine oil, cracked head from not changing the coolant and corroding the radiator.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I actually think most cars are on the road longer than 18 years on average, but haven't looked at stats. Certainly a lot of 2000 cars still driving around.

18 is an odd number and was obviously not pulled out of thin air. My guess is they picked 18 because that's the outside usable life of batteries in EVs, and was the "sweet spot" for their study. If you used 20 years for example, the whole clock would be reset, new batteries, and gas cars would win or be close. 10-15 and the same benefits would be diminished.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually think most cars are on the road longer than 18 years on average, but haven't looked at stats. Certainly a lot of 2000 cars still driving around.

18 is an odd number and was obviously not pulled out of thin air. My guess is they picked 18 because that's the outside usable life of batteries in EVs, and was the "sweet spot" for their study. If you used 20 years for example, the whole clock would be reset, new batteries, and gas cars would win or be close. 10-15 and the same benefits would be diminished.
The average is actually 11 years according to DOT.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The average is actually 11 years according to DOT.

Read deeper into your own article:
Standard cars in this day and age are expected to keep running up to 200,000 miles, while cars with electric engines are expected to last for up to 300,000 miles.
EV's are less than 10% of the vehicles. So expanding their useful life to 18 years is not unreasonable.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not a matter of will the vehicles last, but if people will want to drive such outmoded cars when newer and more capable models are available. Right now EVs on average provide about 200 miles of driving before recharging. Newer models will improve on this. Why would you want to keep your 200 mile vehicle when 400 and 500 mile vehicles are available that also charge faster than the one that you have?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is not a matter of will the vehicles last, but if people will want to drive such outmoded cars when newer and more capable models are available. Right now EVs on average provide about 200 miles of driving before recharging. Newer models will improve on this. Why would you want to keep your 200 mile vehicle when 400 and 500 mile vehicles are available that also charge faster than the one that you have?
Apparently you haven't seen the warmed over dog vomit that is on "Tote the Note" lots. Methinks your affluence is showing. Some people are thankful just to drive 30-40 miles a day to get to work and back and get groceries.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Heard an interesting conversation on the radio. One that raises questions about this "study". Why was this aspect was not in the study? The corn growers associsation claim is that the corn they plant removes carbon from the air (know to be true), they now produce more corn per acre with the same input, and the ethanol produced from corn used as a fuel reduces emmissions, and that this gives them a better/comparable carbon foot print than electric vehicles.