• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One management company that should give up control over all of their Maui properties...drumroll please...Soleil Management

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Soleil Management used to be Consolidated Resorts Management. They sold and managed all of the properties. The two entities separated into Soleil Management and Kainoa Properties for selling RCI Points and vacant units. Kainoa is not doing a good job of selling, I can tell you that. Soleil controls/ manages Sands of Kahana, Kahana Beach, Kahana Villas, Gardens at West Maui, a bunch of Kihei properties, and they manage our Hono Koa, which we love.

The housekeeping staff is good. I didn't lose my mid-week housekeeping service for staff shortages (or whatever the reason other resorts have done that). The place is always clean, except the patio but that's outside, so I don't really care that my feet get dirty out there. My fault for not wearing shoes.

Many of the units sit empty for much of the year. Whale season is booked solid, but summer and fall, and even April-May almost always shows availabiilty for our unit type.

Some of the issues are obvious to me, but maybe not so obvious to Soleil because they continue to collect money from owners and don't listen when we tell them our concerns.

Are they having problems with collections? It's older, and I have to guess that owners are older and just want out but cannot get out because this company probably won't let them deed back.

How many people are paying each year and not staying or using their units. I have no clue because Soleil doesn't tell us anything. Their newsletters are full of unimportant information and nothing about the resort's budget issues. Meanwhile, our fees go up 5-10% a year at Hono Koa, which is hurting owners who are paying.

Issues I see that many Soleil higher-ups don't quite get:

1. As far as I know, Soleil didn't fight Maui on the property tax increase. We pay about $280 in property tax each year for each owned week (we own 3). How many people were shocked by those increases over what we paid before?
2. Fees go up with no explanation as to why they increased $200 in one year at HK. I am worried about the fees for 2023 with current inflation. We now pay about $2,200 for our 2 bed, 2 bath oceanfront unit in MF's/ taxes.
3. We had a special assessment at Hono Koa to fix the wall that was deteriorating from the constant surf. Sands and Kahana Beach are looking at expensive beach erosion solutions currently. So are other resorts along that Lower Honoapiilani Road.
4. No AC is becoming a big problem because owners at Sands of Kahana and Hono Koa are miserable in their owned units during summer. I won't take an exchange at even Sands during summer because of the heat (especially August!).
5. The furniture is so old at Hono Koa. Sands looks good. I don't know if they had a special assessment for their update, but Sands looks great. Hono Koa furniture doesn't just need the cushions changed, which are terrible on the sofa and loveseat in the living room and have never been replaced, but the case goods all need to be replaced or refinished. Not only are the pieces old, but the "rattan" is dirty. It needs to be power washed and maybe stained and varnished or replaced entirely. Wyndham Shearwater (we own there as well) has nice rattan furniture, and I think it's the same stuff that was always there, looks brand new, plus they replace the cushions often. I think they clean and varnish the rattan because it has a nice shine to it.
6. The kitchen cabinets need repainted or replaced at HK because the insides are yellowing and they don't look as nice as they did 12 years ago. I am sure they look dirty to exchangers.
7. Pools are just okay, hot tub is okay at both resorts (Kahana Beach hot tub and pool are tiny!).
8. The parking lot at Hono Koa has been decreased in size because the maintenance crew never made sure owners got that part of the parking lot back after the update to the retaining wall. The equipment was sitting there much of the time, and now they just put trash dumpsters in those spaces. They cut back on a lot of parking we once enjoyed. It can get crowded during whale season, which is about the only time of year the place is at near-full occupancy.

The positives with our Hono Koa units, specifically, are the view, and the nice big lawn they added to the top of the retaining wall with picnic benches and lots of places to sit and enjoy the property for other owners without our balcony oceanfront views. In other words, I am not planning to sell our weeks anytime soon. I love the shower, it's a great shower. I love the unit size, and the kitchen is very good for cooking and has things other timeshares don't have, like crockpots. A call to the housekeeping staff will get us things that we cannot get otherwise, like an electric mixer. I love the breeze that goes through our unit when we open our interior door. There are two doors going out to the hallway, and the one is a security door, but the one we open allows fresh air to come in because of the openness of the wall on the side.

The hot tub is very nice for visiting with other owners (who all have some of the same complaints I do). I talked to a family who chose to put their Hono Koa weeks into RCI Points. What a mistake. The cost on those is about 2.5 cents PP in MF's. They did it the year before and I kept my mouth shut. I also talked to a person who has a camping timeshare deal that traded into Hono Koa for about $300/ week, but he got the worst unit location in the resort. That made me feel better about his bragging about his cheap week. He told us that he would never pay to even have oceanfront anywhere. He can sit on the lawn in front of the ocean all week. I just found him quite annoying.

As much as I complain about Soleil, I still almost bought another week in an oceanfront unit that was just on Redweek a few weeks ago. It was sold but the buyer had not paid, so I asked the seller to let me know if they do not pay because I would. I hope a TUGger got it.

I don't really want this post to turn anyone off from owning anything Soleil manages, but I do think you should go into the ownership with your eyes wide open.

I am not a big Wyndham fan, but they would do well to take over all of the Soleil properties.. I would be happy to have Wyndham manage Hono Koa because they would keep costs down and make sure improvements are made. They would do that because Wyndham could sell whatever is not owned currently, and they could convert current owners to Wyndham points. It would be a win-win for most owners. I just want to stop the ridiculous increases each year.

MarcyL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
Soleil Management used to be Consolidated Resorts Management. They sold and managed all of the properties. The two entities separated into Soleil Management and Kainoa Properties for selling RCI Points and vacant units. Kainoa is not doing a good job of selling, I can tell you that. Soleil controls/ manages Sands of Kahana, Kahana Beach, Kahana Villas, Gardens at West Maui, a bunch of Kihei properties, and they manage our Hono Koa, which we love.

The housekeeping staff is good. I didn't lose my mid-week housekeeping service for staff shortages (or whatever the reason other resorts have done that). The place is always clean, except the patio but that's outside, so I don't really care that my feet get dirty out there. My fault for not wearing shoes.

Many of the units sit empty for much of the year. Whale season is booked solid, but summer and fall, and even April-May almost always shows availabiilty for our unit type.

Some of the issues are obvious to me, but maybe not so obvious to Soleil because they continue to collect money from owners and don't listen when we tell them our concerns.

Are they having problems with collections? It's older, and I have to guess that owners are older and just want out but cannot get out because this company probably won't let them deed back.

How many people are paying each year and not staying or using their units. I have no clue because Soleil doesn't tell us anything. Their newsletters are full of unimportant information and nothing about the resort's budget issues. Meanwhile, our fees go up 5-10% a year at Hono Koa, which is hurting owners who are paying.

Issues I see that many Soleil higher-ups don't quite get:

1. As far as I know, Soleil didn't fight Maui on the property tax increase. We pay about $280 in property tax each year for each owned week (we own 3). How many people were shocked by those increases over what we paid before?
2. Fees go up with no explanation as to why they increased $200 in one year at HK. I am worried about the fees for 2023 with current inflation. We now pay about $2,200 for our 2 bed, 2 bath oceanfront unit in MF's/ taxes.
3. We had a special assessment at Hono Koa to fix the wall that was deteriorating from the constant surf. Sands and Kahana Beach are looking at expensive beach erosion solutions currently. So are other resorts along that Lower Honoapiilani Road.
4. No AC is becoming a big problem because owners at Sands of Kahana and Hono Koa are miserable in their owned units during summer. I won't take an exchange at even Sands during summer because of the heat (especially August!).
5. The furniture is so old at Hono Koa. Sands looks good. I don't know if they had a special assessment for their update, but Sands looks great. Hono Koa furniture doesn't just need the cushions changed, which are terrible on the sofa and loveseat in the living room and have never been replaced, but the case goods all need to be replaced or refinished. Not only are the pieces old, but the "rattan" is dirty. It needs to be power washed and maybe stained and varnished or replaced entirely. Wyndham Shearwater (we own there as well) has nice rattan furniture, and I think it's the same stuff that was always there, looks brand new, plus they replace the cushions often. I think they clean and varnish the rattan because it has a nice shine to it.
6. The kitchen cabinets need repainted or replaced at HK because the insides are yellowing and they don't look as nice as they did 12 years ago. I am sure they look dirty to exchangers.
7. Pools are just okay, hot tub is okay at both resorts (Kahana Beach hot tub and pool are tiny!).
8. The parking lot at Hono Koa has been decreased in size because the maintenance crew never made sure owners got that part of the parking lot back after the update to the retaining wall. The equipment was sitting there much of the time, and now they just put trash dumpsters in those spaces. They cut back on a lot of parking we once enjoyed. It can get crowded during whale season, which is about the only time of year the place is at near-full occupancy.

The positives with our Hono Koa units, specifically, are the view, and the nice big lawn they added to the top of the retaining wall with picnic benches and lots of places to sit and enjoy the property for other owners without our balcony oceanfront views. In other words, I am not planning to sell our weeks anytime soon. I love the shower, it's a great shower. I love the unit size, and the kitchen is very good for cooking and has things other timeshares don't have, like crockpots. A call to the housekeeping staff will get us things that we cannot get otherwise, like an electric mixer. I love the breeze that goes through our unit when we open our interior door. There are two doors going out to the hallway, and the one is a security door, but the one we open allows fresh air to come in because of the openness of the wall on the side.

The hot tub is very nice for visiting with other owners (who all have some of the same complaints I do). I talked to a family who chose to put their Hono Koa weeks into RCI Points. What a mistake. The cost on those is about 2.5 cents PP in MF's. They did it the year before and I kept my mouth shut. I also talked to a person who has a camping timeshare deal that traded into Hono Koa for about $300/ week, but he got the worst unit location in the resort. That made me feel better about his bragging about his cheap week. He told us that he would never pay to even have oceanfront anywhere. He can sit on the lawn in front of the ocean all week. I just found him quite annoying.

As much as I complain about Soleil, I still almost bought another week in an oceanfront unit that was just on Redweek a few weeks ago. It was sold but the buyer had not paid, so I asked the seller to let me know if they do not pay because I would. I hope a TUGger got it.

I don't really want this post to turn anyone off from owning anything Soleil manages, but I do think you should go into the ownership with your eyes wide open.

I am not a big Wyndham fan, but they would do well to take over all of the Soleil properties.. I would be happy to have Wyndham manage Hono Koa because they would keep costs down and make sure improvements are made. They would do that because Wyndham could sell whatever is not owned currently, and they could convert current owners to Wyndham points. It would be a win-win for most owners. I just want to stop the ridiculous increases each year.
Hi Cindy (and Rick),
I have not been on TUG for a long time, but just recently retired (YAY!) so I renewed my membership. I remember you and always enjoyed your well written posts. I own at the Maui Schooner, and this post makes me appreciate my management even MORE. They do everything they can to keep the units in spectacular shape and costs down. ANYWAY, for 20 years (the amount of time I have owned various timeshares) I have wanted a second week up near Kaanapali. We enjoy both ends of Maui. I have tried MULTIPLE times to rent either Hono Koa or Kahana Beach with absolutely no luck. I went through the management company instead of TUG as I wanted to evaluate their service. What a bunch of RUDE, unhelpful people. If that is how they treat potential owners, I cannot imagine how they behave once they have your money. We bought a Kaanapali Westin on ebay in an effort to have a second week, and did not like it at all. That whole highfaluting vibe is SOOO not my husband and me (and we are both professionals--he is in high management and I am a doc). Plus the constantly rising maintenance fees and frequent special assessments were ridiculous. So then I bought a Marriott in Lihue (again an ebay steal), which was gorgeous ocean front. Unfortunately I don't like all the rain on Kauai (which pretty much ruins the snorkeling) and we had the same problem with gouging rising fees. If Kahana Beach were managed even "competently" I think I would love one of their corner one bedroom units as they are practically suspended over the ocean and I have to have air conditioning. I am going to try to schedule a week at the Royal Sea Cliffs on Hawaii, maybe that is the answer. We have rented weeks up north by you (not timeshares) and it is always disappointing and very expensive. Perhaps there is no solution.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Hi Cindy (and Rick),
I have not been on TUG for a long time, but just recently retired (YAY!) so I renewed my membership. I remember you and always enjoyed your well written posts. I own at the Maui Schooner, and this post makes me appreciate my management even MORE. They do everything they can to keep the units in spectacular shape and costs down. ANYWAY, for 20 years (the amount of time I have owned various timeshares) I have wanted a second week up near Kaanapali. We enjoy both ends of Maui. I have tried MULTIPLE times to rent either Hono Koa or Kahana Beach with absolutely no luck. I went through the management company instead of TUG as I wanted to evaluate their service. What a bunch of RUDE, unhelpful people. If that is how they treat potential owners, I cannot imagine how they behave once they have your money. We bought a Kaanapali Westin on ebay in an effort to have a second week, and did not like it at all. That whole highfaluting vibe is SOOO not my husband and me (and we are both professionals--he is in high management and I am a doc). Plus the constantly rising maintenance fees and frequent special assessments were ridiculous. So then I bought a Marriott in Lihue (again an ebay steal), which was gorgeous ocean front. Unfortunately I don't like all the rain on Kauai (which pretty much ruins the snorkeling) and we had the same problem with gouging rising fees. If Kahana Beach were managed even "competently" I think I would love one of their corner one bedroom units as they are practically suspended over the ocean and I have to have air conditioning. I am going to try to schedule a week at the Royal Sea Cliffs on Hawaii, maybe that is the answer. We have rented weeks up north by you (not timeshares) and it is always disappointing and very expensive. Perhaps there is no solution.

Spend 2 weeks at Maui Schooner. :D
That's what we do. We still go to all the islands. We haven't been back to Big Island In a few years for vacation so I am trying for an exchange there for next year.

On Maui we go all over so we find Kihei convenient. We go to Kahului a lot too since I used to work there.

Alwaystravelling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui ocean club, Marriott shadow ridge, Westin Kaanapali villas, Hyatt San Antonio, Williamsburg Plantation, Ocean Landings
I owned a unit at the Honor Koa a number of years back and was so unimpressed dealing with management. There is so much they could be doing there but are not. Spending $20k per unit to put in AC would dramatically increase rates, ownership valuations, etc. No brainer. When tons of the building sits empty and management doesn't post them on Orbitz or Expedia it's just negligent. They're incompetent and it just seems par for the course for timeshare owners to accept that crap because it's a timeshare. My buddies that own AirBnB units in Hawaii do a million times better.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I owned a unit at the Honor Koa a number of years back and was so unimpressed dealing with management. There is so much they could be doing there but are not. Spending $20k per unit to put in AC would dramatically increase rates, ownership valuations, etc. No brainer. When tons of the building sits empty and management doesn't post them on Orbitz or Expedia it's just negligent. They're incompetent and it just seems par for the course for timeshare owners to accept that crap because it's a timeshare. My buddies that own AirBnB units in Hawaii do a million times better.
I agree. I own at the Sands of Kahana and took a look in the circuit breaker box. I saw four 220 volt breakers at 20A that were listed as "Window AC". I also traced down and found four strategically located 220 volt receptacle plugs. So that told me that the place was wired for AC back in 1980. I googled AC split system cost on Maui and I saw companies that would put in a significant sized AC for around $5 or $6K. So, say it grew to $10K. Divide that by 50 means each owner would pay $200 to get AC installed. So, say that the local management mis-managed things and it cost $20K - - That would mean each owner would pay $400. Now compare that to the recent $6K per week per unit refurb cost - - it's trivial. Then, if the installer set it up like at Kona Coast II, the guest is charged $12-15 a day if they use is and zero if they don't want to use it. When we have been at Kona Coast, that $12-15 a day was well spent $. If someone had an ounce of brains, they could set it up so that there would be no increase in MF and it would be a pay-as-you-go system. Only those that use it would pay.

So, if I read your post correctly, we are seeing this from the same perspective.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am looking at ads on Redweek, watching for Hono Koa oceanfront weeks, and I see an ad, but the seller is very dishonest about the MF's. She says the fees are $1,567. The buyer will have a rude awakening when they go to pay that ridiculous MF bill. I did email the seller to tell them that the fees were much higher.

Our bill, which doesn't include the SA for the retaining wall:

HOK-Koa Property Tax08/01/21$296.20 ($399.42)
VISA Payment11/30/21 $2,000.00($2,399.42)
HOK-Koa Common Areas05/01/22$670.00 ($1,729.42)
HOK-Koa Club Operations05/01/22$778.50 ($950.92)
HOK-Koa Land Lease05/01/22$377.68 ($573.24)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Property tax $296
Common Areas $670
Club Operations $778.50
Land Lease payment $377.68

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's even more than at the Sands where I own a 3 BR.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound liked a very nice small resort with some excellent views of the ocean. Their reviews were all over the place with TripAdvisor from good to bad; with the main concerns the lack of AC and the furnitues needs to be updated.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's even more than at the Sands where I own a 3 BR.

Your resort and Kahana Beach are going to have to deal with the beach erosion that may eventually cause real damage to the buildings. I don't know if that will get better at some point, but the sandbags are unseemly.

Yeah the fees are high! I know a lot of people are not paying. Units sit empty much of the time. Soleil sucks at renting them out because they ask too much in rental income. They need to sell the entire bunch of Soleil properties to Wyndham. Wyndham could do a hostile takeover by buying every week that isn't sold. I am trying to give Wyndham some ideas here.

Our land lease payment has gone up substantially.

What I do not like about Soleil is the lack of communication. I am hoping they do not charge us a SA for the updates of the property.

Oceanfront is so much better at Hono Koa than any other resort. We have a wall instead of a beach, a very substantial wall we are paying a SA for.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your resort and Kahana Beach are going to have to deal with the beach erosion that may eventually cause real damage to the buildings. I don't know if that will get better at some point, but the sandbags are unseemly.

Yeah the fees are high! I know a lot of people are not paying. Units sit empty much of the time. Soleil sucks at renting them out because they ask too much in rental income. They need to sell the entire bunch of Soleil properties to Wyndham. Wyndham could do a hostile takeover by buying every week that isn't sold. I am trying to give Wyndham some ideas here.

Our land lease payment has gone up substantially.

What I do not like about Soleil is the lack of communication. I am hoping they do not charge us a SA for the updates of the property.

Oceanfront is so much better at Hono Koa than any other resort. We have a wall instead of a beach, a very substantial wall we are paying a SA for.

I recently received a fancy color news letter from the SOK. On the bottom of the back page I saw a very brief article that SOK completed a structural inspection of the property in July 2021 (more than a year ago). Fine. So, some repair work needs to be done. Fine. The seem to categorize the work into three groups: (1) Minor repairs that will be completed by the end of the year, (2) Building Spalling repairs (presumably minor?) "will be included" and (3) other repairs (apparently more substantial) that require permits for which the scope of work "will be developed" (future tense) by the structural firm. I'm hoping that the scope of the work is not going to be a big deal.

Last edited:

dori47

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Beach Vacation Club
WorldMark
We own at Maui Beach Vacation club, one you didn’t mention, but managed by Soleil Management. we have used every year of our ownership, either ourselves or family u til Covid hit. We pushed forward our years, but can’t make it this year, so we are losing two years worth. The not being able to make it has to do with our work at home, being busier, and can’t get away ( so waiting for retirement it isn’t funny) they redid our units a few years ago, first appliances, then kitchen cabinets. They are particleboard and warp/ swell with the humidity. Our prices have only gone up a bit. I looked into selling, but it would be about $3000 to list through a broker, and I am not skilled enough to try and sell myself ( we bought it for $250 plus transfer fees 13 years ago) we hope to get back there soon.