• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One bride and groom are planning on forcing guests to sit through a timeshare presentation

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have advised friends not to do this but every time we have friends go to Royal Solaris in Cabo as our Guests (this means they get treated as Members) they want to see if they can get the deal we got during the recession (big point is no MF's forever) and they never can. We tell them that if they are silly enough to go we get the Daily Food/Drink fee paid for our next trip for a couple days. We are up front about this.

So I bet the Bride and Groom are getting a free couple weeks and flight if they can get this many people to go.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Thank you for sharing today's laugh! I keep my dentist busy from all the teeth gritting I do regarding family weddings. Well, that and lots of alcohol to get me through.

My heart sank a bit when we learned our next beloved couple is planning a destination wedding in PV - Puerto Vallarta. Sheesh, we were looking forward to visiting CA. The father of the groom says it's cheaper to host a wedding in MX. :( *sigh*

And, how naive am I to recall that some T/S had income qualifications in order to sit through their presentation?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I read the article and I'm thinking that the accommodations might be one of those cheap 3 night/4 day deals and you have to do a presentation as part of it. But like Snazzylass mentioned there are still income qualifications.

geekette

Reaction score
You're suddenly not a guest when you have a task like this. No thank you. Plan the wedding you can afford and do not press your guests into service.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
YHGTBSM

Cheers

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What a horrible idea. What is to stop guests from blowing off the presentation? It's not like guests get a trinket or lose a discount if they don't go. And if the wedding party gets saddled with no-show costs?... well they get what they deserve.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the resort proposed the idea. Most newlyweds are not THAT manipulative. But demanding a presence at a timeshare meeting is certainly draconian. I bet they will find out who their BFFs are pretty quick.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
"How much do you really love me? I just want you to do this ONE LITTLE THING..."

Sorry, this is total BS. I wouldn't go.

Dave

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
My brother was upset because he remarried in Cabo at an adult only resort. Unfortunately half of his siblings, including myself, have young children. As well as his children. Then he refused to pay for certain guests who have a limited budget. He finally did come to his senses but the damage is done.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just gross. You should not have to "pay for admittance" to a wedding.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My brother was upset because he remarried in Cabo at an adult only resort. Unfortunately half of his siblings, including myself, have young children. As well as his children. Then he refused to pay for certain guests who have a limited budget. He finally did come to his senses but the damage is done.

My niece got married on a beach in Maui. She was upset that only a few relatives and friends came to the wedding. Not everyone on her guest list had the resources to afford a Hawaii trip just to watch her get married.

Even more surprising, her brother wanted to get married on a cruise ship on a week long Alaska cruise. I asked him how many people he was paying for. He said, “None. Everyone pays their own way.” I said that was ridiculous, and asked how many people would be willing or able to spend thousands per person for the cruise, just to watch him get married, and then have another six days trapped on a ship with the wedding party. He got all bent out of shape about that, and complained about how nobody in the family cares about him. I told him he needed to make a better plan, so his mostly hardworking, lower-paid, blue collar family could attend. It’s been several years now, and no further plans have been announced. The last word on the Alaska cruise was that the fiancée’s Mother gets seasick, so they couldn’t do that.

Weddings should be planned with the guests in mind, too.

Dave

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Many years ago friends of ours planned a destination wedding in the Caribbean (DR I think it was). Their travel agent found them great prices at a very nice resort and explained that for every 20 paying guests, one (or was it both?) of them would be free. Eventually over 40 people booked and instead of the free fares the bride & groom divided the total cost among the number of guests going and everybody paid lower rate. They didn't think it was fair that they and 1 or 2 others got to go for free when everybody else had to pay.

~Diane

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Many years ago friends of ours planned a destination wedding in the Caribbean (DR I think it was). Their travel agent found them great prices at a very nice resort and explained that for every 20 paying guests, one (or was it both?) of them would be free. Eventually over 40 people booked and instead of the free fares the bride & groom divided the total cost among the number of guests going and everybody paid lower rate. They didn't think it was fair that they and 1 or 2 others got to go for free when everybody else had to pay.

~Diane
The way it should be.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
My niece got married on a beach in Maui. She was upset that only a few relatives and friends came to the wedding. Not everyone on her guest list had the resources to afford a Hawaii trip just to watch her get married.

Even more surprising, her brother wanted to get married on a cruise ship on a week long Alaska cruise. I asked him how many people he was paying for. He said, “None. Everyone pays their own way.” I said that was ridiculous, and asked how many people would be willing or able to spend thousands per person for the cruise, just to watch him get married, and then have another six days trapped on a ship with the wedding party. He got all bent out of shape about that, and complained about how nobody in the family cares about him. I told him he needed to make a better plan, so his mostly hardworking, lower-paid, blue collar family could attend. It’s been several years now, and no further plans have been announced. The last word on the Alaska cruise was that the fiancée’s Mother gets seasick, so they couldn’t do that.

Dave
I wanted a destination wedding but we couldn’t because soon to be MIL was on dialysis and my Grandmother was 90 at the time. So we married in a Dana Point park overlooking the ocean.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Many people that get married in Mexico bring the Minister and do not follow through with all the Mexican Laws for a Marriage. So they are not legally married in Mexico. If they do not followup with a legal ceremony back home they are not legally married in the USA.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
What's wrong with people? The self-absorption is just so over the top. And...I cannot stand how weddings have become "entertainment" .

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I asked older dd if she wanted a destination wedding (thinking Hawaii). She said no because then none of their friends would be able to come. They ended up having a very, very small wedding so it really wouldn't have mattered where they had it. :p

geekette

Reaction score
I understand the once in a lifetime thing for bride and groom, and I'm fine with people having the wedding of their dreams. I depart at the notion that guests should be thrilled to pay big money to join them. Declined invites should be expected.

I haven't made it to Hawaii for myself yet. I have done the Alaska cruise, but would do it again if I could afford it and the timing was right. I'm not a plus one so I'd pay double or have to take a roommate from the guest list, neither situation ok with me. It's not reasonable for normal people to fund lavish trips for events of others. If the bridal couple simply must have certain people there, they should pay their way for them. There should be no hard feelings towards people that simply cannot show up. Few have endless funds or vacation time.

Whining "they don't love me" is crass. Bet they'd love you fine with a local park shelter wedding. But there is nobody I love enough to part with thousands of dollars for the experience of watching them marry. It's too hard to make money to blow it all in one place like that.

Weird that someone would put off their wedding for years because cruise wedding was viewed as unwise. that says to me they want the show and not the marriage. I seriously doubt they are instead saving up in order to offer to pay for invited guests to cruise.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with people? The self-absorption is just so over the top. And...I cannot stand how weddings have become "entertainment" .
The kind of people who try to change a light bulb by themselves. They stick the light bulb in the socket, and expect the world to revolve around them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Now I have heard everything.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DD got married on St. Martin. Small wedding immediate family and close friends. It was a good idea for a number of reasons. SIL has family in Czech, and it was easier for them to get to St. Martin than to the US. She said the wedding was much cheaper there, and they were paying for the wedding. I kicked in by using my Diamond Points to reserve multiple units at the Diamond resorts on St. Martin, which helped out with costs for some of the attendees.

It was quite nice, and enabled us to meet some of SIL's family. We all got along well during the time there. Some were there for a full week; others for about four days.

DS and his fiancee liked the idea so much that when they got married a couple of years later, they got married on Grand Cayman. Same kind of setup - close family and friends only. Again, it worked out well.

It helps that as a family, we all enjoy spending time together and get along.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's very tacky to expect guests to be paying participants- even worse to expect them to sit through a TS presentation!. We were recently at two different resorts in Puerto Vallarta. There were weddings at both of them while we were there. They seemed to be fairly low key events- but nice.

We researched international destination weddings when DW and I married some 20 years ago. It was not either of our first trips down the aisle, and we wanted to do it 'right' and according to the laws of wherever it was to be. First, we found that cruise ship weddings are not legally recognized- merely ceremonial. Then we found that being married in predominantly Roman Catholic countries was problematic for divorced people. And discovered that Greek Isles were out because they required our divorce decrees be translated into Greek before a license would be issued.

So we settled on Scotland. Both of us have ancestors who emigrated to America from Scotland at some time in the past, so we picked a spot, had our license posted on the Registrar's office, hired a Church of Scotland minister and a piper. We brought DWs two sons and her father along with their significant others', and found an old castle to host it. So far it's working out and neither of us have had to cash in on the 'til death do us part' bit.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I understand the once in a lifetime thing for bride and groom, and I'm fine with people having the wedding of their dreams. I depart at the notion that guests should be thrilled to pay big money to join them. Declined invites should be expected.

I haven't made it to Hawaii for myself yet. I have done the Alaska cruise, but would do it again if I could afford it and the timing was right. I'm not a plus one so I'd pay double or have to take a roommate from the guest list, neither situation ok with me. It's not reasonable for normal people to fund lavish trips for events of others. If the bridal couple simply must have certain people there, they should pay their way for them. There should be no hard feelings towards people that simply cannot show up. Few have endless funds or vacation time.

Whining "they don't love me" is crass. Bet they'd love you fine with a local park shelter wedding. But there is nobody I love enough to part with thousands of dollars for the experience of watching them marry. It's too hard to make money to blow it all in one place like that.

Weird that someone would put off their wedding for years because cruise wedding was viewed as unwise. that says to me they want the show and not the marriage. I seriously doubt they are instead saving up in order to offer to pay for invited guests to cruise.

You are right, on all counts. I think for the nephew, it was definitely all about the show. They’re still living together, and who knows if they’ll ever get married. I suggested they have a modest wedding near the family, then take the Alaska cruise for their honeymoon. He said No to that, because it wouldn’t be any fun without family there. LOL!

I’ve since come to think he’s more interested in the idea of the marriage, than he is about the marriage itself. Go figure.

Dave