• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

one bedroom/pull out sofa/big enough for 4?

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the date approaches where I'll have to choose between Oahu and Hawaii -and as I study the patterns on HGVC website - it SEEMS that I will easily get a one bedroom in Lagoon or Kali tower (is there a difference between the Lagoon and Kali?) OR a 2 bedroom in Waikoloa or Bay .

My kids will be 14, 11. They never mind sharing a bed - but I don't want them to be uncomfortable. Will a one bedroom be big enough and is the pull out comfortable, does anyone know? (The pull out in Orlando was NOT comfortable - luckily - they didn't have to sleep on it).

I lean towards wanting Oahu and there seems to be more to do, it's beach front, it has a great pool. I realize Big Island will be fascinating and that I can shuttle to the hotel for the beach and the great pool (is that a hassle?)

Thanks for any thoughts - as always!:cheer:

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the date approaches where I'll have to choose between Oahu and Hawaii -and as I study the patterns on HGVC website - it SEEMS that I will easily get a one bedroom in Lagoon or Kali tower (is there a difference between the Lagoon and Kali?) OR a 2 bedroom in Waikoloa or Bay .

My kids will be 14, 11. They never mind sharing a bed - but I don't want them to be uncomfortable. Will a one bedroom be big enough and is the pull out comfortable, does anyone know? (The pull out in Orlando was NOT comfortable - luckily - they didn't have to sleep on it).

I lean towards wanting Oahu and there seems to be more to do, it's beach front, it has a great pool. I realize Big Island will be fascinating and that I can shuttle to the hotel for the beach and the great pool (is that a hassle?)

Thanks for any thoughts - as always!:cheer:

Hi Ellen,

Let me first say that the experiences at HHV and HGVC Waikoloa are very different, but both are wonderful, IMHO.

We have traveled to both places over the last few years with our now 14 yr old son. So maybe I can give you some insight there too.

On the HHV unit sizes: From my memory, I think the bedroom in the Kalia Tower unit is larger than the bedroom in the Lagoon Tower one bedroom. However, overall the Lagoon one bedroom unit is larger than the Kalia Tower unit. While the Kalia Tower units are prettier and newer, I prefer the Lagoon units because they have larger kitchens, dining and living areas. With two teenagers, I'd definitely go with the Lagoon Tower if you choose a one bedroom at HHV. As for the sofa bed, I've never slept on it, but one time a TUGGER wanted to know what the brand and style was so that she/he could get one for their home.

On the units at Waikoloa: The units at the Bay Club are larger and older with bigger lanai's than the ones at HGVC Waikoloa. I always stay at HGVC Waikoloa, because I love the upgraded interiors and we want free use of the hotel pool. This past summer we were at HGVC Waikoloa with our son and his friend for two weeks, and we found it very comfortable.

On the best location: That depends on what you want.

Oahu is a hub of activity. The beach is right outside the door. There are lots of inexpensive places to eat nearby. With a rent car, there are a wealth of sights all over the island that are little more than a short drive away - history, natural beauty, famous beaches, deserted beaches, roadside hut food stops, short hikes to water falls and mountain vistas, etc. If you go after December, 08, you'll have use of the new pool which looks like it will be as good, if not better than the pool at the Waikoloa Hilton hotel.

Waikoloa will be a quieter experience, but still fun. The Waikoloa resort area is an enclosed, safe community. I would have no problem letting teenagers, provided they always stay with a buddy, having the run of the place. My son and his friend had freedom of the resort on the condition they check in by cell phone at designated times. They loved the hotel pool, which by the way is NOT free to Bay Club guests. My son would be very unhappy to be at Waikoloa without use of the hotel pool, my husband would be very unhappy to pay a daily fee.

The shuttle runs every half hour, but really the walk is not long - I do it all of the time. In short, I don't think it is a hassle, but it is not as convenient as HHV. There is not a real beach at the Hilton hotel, so you have to go to the Marriott for the beach, also a shuttle stop.

The Big Island is also full of wonderful sights but, because the BI is BIG, they are a longer drive to see. Also, you should note, there is major roadwork on the main highway from Waikoloa to Kona so the road traffic is frequently stopped! I don't know how long this will last.

I hope this helps!

nonutrix

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fabulous information! I shared it with my family and they said Oahu all the way - the kids don't mind sharing a sofa bed. If I get lucky, I'll go for 2 bedrooms, but at least now I know the kids won't fight with us :banana: - they were in on the decision.

On the web, sometimes only Kalia is available. Sometimes Lagoon is all that's available. I will go after Lagoon if possible - but it seems you're saying Kalia would work as well.

One more question - Kalia visitors can use the super pool just as Lagoon visitors, correct? No difference in anything but the rooms?

I so thank you.

Last edited:

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question - Kalia visitors can use the super pool just as Lagoon visitors, correct? No difference in anything but the rooms?

I so thank you.

Correct! There will be no difference except locations of the unit.

I do have to make note that, to the best of my knowledge, from what I've been told, the new pool will be available to all HHV guests - hotel AND timeshare.

nonutrix

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
My teenage kids enjoyed HHV much more than they did Waikoloa.

If your kids are like mine, they want to go to a mall or go shopping etc.

We still had fun at Waikoloa, but if we were to go again, I think they would vote for Honolulu.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
An idea for when the fold-out is too uncomfortable (I would not sleep on one)... air mattresses.
Fairly cheap, widely available, and compact enuff to pack (when deflated).

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know when you are planning on going but I will be there with my family during Thanksgiving Day Weekend. If it is not too late, I will give an update on the pull out bed. Also, a general update on what HHV looks like with Grand Waikikian.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do decide to stay at the Bay Club try to do an RCI reservation. You can get a 2bdrm unit for 4800 points-the same amount of point it takes for a 1bdrm at Lagoon tower, Kalia tower and HGVC Waikoloa.

As for where to stay and which island is totally up to you. nonutrix provides a very nice summary. I find it hard to decide between Oahu and the Big Island which is why we always stay at both. :)

I would just add:

Waikiki offers a lot of activity even after the sun goes down. Even with two little ones we like to stroll up and down the main blvd. once the sun sets. There's a lot of people watching, all the shops are open, and a number of performing street acts.

10 minutes down the road from Waikoloa are 2 of the most gorgeous beaches in the world.

Good Luck in your decision.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I've seen rollaway beds in the hallways at HHV, so that's a possibility. I doubt you'd have to pay extra for it, but I'm not positive.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know when you are planning on going but I will be there with my family during Thanksgiving Day Weekend. If it is not too late, I will give an update on the pull out bed. Also, a general update on what HHV looks like with Grand Waikikian.

That would be great - we're going next summer. Air mattress- great idea! Roll away - we'd even pay! Thank you so much everyone!!!

PS - Our second week with be Kauai at Marriott timeshare (if we're lucky enough to pull it with Aruba Marriott) or Marriott hotel with hotel certs with points. SO EXCITED!

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I actually prefer the Kalia tower units over the Lagoon tower for standard and oceanview units. I like the wood floors instead of carpet, especially where there is sand.

I like Lagoon Tower for Oceanfront rooms. The view is beautiful.

The Kalia tower also has some rooms with 2 double beds in the bedroom, some have 1 king bed, so be aware of what you are booking.

jestme

Reaction score
A couple of things to watch out for on Oahu. The Kalia building has some 1BR rooms that face the mountains, not the water. The Lagoon's all face water, either Diamond Head, or Ala Moana beach, but some of them are on lower floors which block the water view.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
booking it?

Yes, I have noticed all of these things as I test and play on the website. Often they only have mountain view available for my test days.

I know you can upgrade once you have a unit if it becomes available. Is it best to call HGVC for this or do it on the web? Is there more availability one way or the other?

Our plan is to get up at 12:01 am Oct 3 and book 3 nights, then do the same for the next 4 days. Does this make sense or is it silly to get up early? Or do we need to call to extend once the first 3 nights are booked? THANKS.

Once you've taught me to be an expert, I will help answer these same questions when asked next year by someone else. :rofl:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our plan is to get up at 12:01 am Oct 3 and book 3 nights, then do the same for the next 4 days. Does this make sense or is it silly to get up early? Or do we need to call to extend once the first 3 nights are booked? THANKS. :rofl:

Yes, it is silly to get up at 12:01 am. You should get up at 11:55 am and already be logged on... :)

Just trying to be a little funny. But actually that's what I do.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hysterical:
Yes, it is silly to get up at 12:01 am. You should get up at 11:55 am and already be logged on... :)

Just trying to be a little funny. But actually that's what I do.

:hysterical:

Kdudley311

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from HGWV on BI. It was great for an adult vacation and very nice. However, I agree, HHV would be better for teenagers. Teenagers as a group don't seem to be interested in quiet, serene beaches. They want to be where the action is (and I don't mean all of the professionals in the Waikiki Beach area at night--watch out for them). Food is VERY expensive on the BI if you don't shop at the Costco in Kailua-Kona, and there are lots of cheap eats in Waikiki. I haven't been to HHV but am considering a reservation there for our son's graduation trip.

It would be worth it to invest in a queen size Aero bed. You could carry it on, and then you would have it at home for overnight guests. Just a thought. You can always put it on top of the queen size sleeper, or just throw it on the floor :)

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from HGWV on BI. It was great for an adult vacation and very nice. However, I agree, HHV would be better for teenagers. Teenagers as a group don't seem to be interested in quiet, serene beaches. They want to be where the action is (and I don't mean all of the professionals in the Waikiki Beach area at night--watch out for them). Food is VERY expensive on the BI if you don't shop at the Costco in Kailua-Kona, and there are lots of cheap eats in Waikiki. I haven't been to HHV but am considering a reservation there for our son's graduation trip.

It would be worth it to invest in a queen size Aero bed. You could carry it on, and then you would have it at home for overnight guests. Just a thought. You can always put it on top of the queen size sleeper, or just throw it on the floor :)

Thanks - yes, we're settled with Oahu at this point thanks to all the suggestions. Tomorrow is Thursday. We go to bed and wake up at 11:45 (not 12:01) and nab it! And then we wake up every night for 4 nights after that to nab 4 more nights. Vacation is WORK.

THANKs

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Zac:

I know you love your Marriotts. You will also love your Hiltons. Have a great time.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zac:

I know you love your Marriotts. You will also love your Hiltons. Have a great time.

I sure do! :) Tomorrow is the BIG NIGHT that I get to stay up late and book my Hilton.

Marriott people are telling me to hold on and I should get my Marriott exchange. I'm NOT a patient person.

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sure do! :) Tomorrow is the BIG NIGHT that I get to stay up late and book my Hilton.

Marriott people are telling me to hold on and I should get my Marriott exchange. I'm NOT a patient person.

What's the verdict?? Did you get it? :cheer:

Beverley

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - we got a one bedroom plus in Kalia tower - oahu. I have no idea what view - it didn't say. bad part - 2 beds in the master. It will be weird sleeping in separate beds - but I guess the good thing is I won't have to kick him when he snores since he'll be across the room.:hysterical:

So far we have 5 nights. We got the first 3 at the strike of midnight - and within a minute there was nothing left. At 11 pm I spoke to an agent via chat on the website. He said there were only 2 units available at kalia and zero at lagoon - and when midnight came, he was right.

Since then, we have gotten up at midnight to extend - each night it was unavailable then. But we got it early the next am. Strange...

2 more nights to go and we'll be locked in. Then, as I understand it, I keep looking. I hear there is always a reasonable chance that someone will cancel something in a few months, and it will be snap-upable. But I'm okay with the one bedroom and the two beds. hey - it's Hawaii!:cheer: