• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

one and two day reservations

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next week Ill be driving from my home in Fort Myers Florida to Washington DC and staying at National Harbor for Thanksgiving...In my younger days when I was stronger and had less money I would drive straight through about 18 hours. Now I make it a two day trip...Because we can never get away early we do one short day 5 or 6 hours and one long day...11 or 12 hour

This trip I decided to try and find 1 day stays at Wyndham resorts instead of our usual I95 motels

We will be at Ocean Walk for one night next saturday night. I have a one bedroom Suite (no balcony, no view, no jetted tub and a mini Kitchen) for the night. Now I see availability for a one bedroom deluxe for Friday and saturday night (balcony, view, full kitchen, and jetted tub) This would be a nice upgrade, but I dont have the points left this year to do it...If I did I would cancel what I have, book the better unit for two nights and check in a day late

Here is my question...assuming this one bedroom deluxe stays available do you think on Saturday morning I could cancel what I have and rebook the better unit for Saturday night (I have the points to do that) or better yet do you think when we arrive, if the better unit is available, the desk clerk will upgrade us on the spot?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
the resort will not upgrade you unless it works out better for them.

Remember the 15 day cancellation period. Will use a RT.

I think the unit disappears if the first night of a two night reservation goes unbooked. This could vary by resort, room type and may have changed. But I seem to recall it in the past thinking I would be able to upgrade the day of check in.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
1. You might ask when you check in - we have friends that have been upgraded for no cost on the spot!
Unfortunately, not us.

2. Sometimes when you call, they can find a 1 day stay (that does not show up online). However you would probably lose those points form the first reservation. (the 15 days). Are you willing to do that?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If you haven't already, the first thing to do is call Wyndham. Reservation clerks (or whatever they're called) can sometimes do things you can't do online. Bleed on him, tell him you can't stand caves or windows that look out on an indoor mini-golf course.

(Too bad you're not a VIP owner. You could get an upgrade online. Oh, I yeah, I forgot. VIP perks aren't worth anything. <grin>)

Next trip north, try Wyndham Lake Marion in Santee, SC. For us, it's just about halfway between Fairfax County, VA and Cocoa Beach, Daytona, or Orlando. Don't know how it would work for you. They may not allow one night stays, though. We stayed two nights the one time we were there.

Shoot me a PM with your email address. I'll send you a couple of restaurant certificates left unused by a guy I know who was there a few months back. You'll need 'em. There are no family-priced restaurants in the whole National Harbor development. In fact, it may be worth the trouble to take the shuttle boat over to civilization in Alexandria, VA.

We've stayed at National Harbor three times. It's just twenty minutes from the house so we've gone over just for a weekend or last summer for a couple of nights around 4th of July.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
If you have not locked in to the lay-over stay, look at Smokey Mountain or Mrytle Beach. I did not check the availablity, but it should be easy in the off season. If you book a two day and do not use the first day, just make sure to call the Resort and let them know not to cancel the other day(s).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
(Too bad you're not a VIP owner. You could get an upgrade online. Oh, I yeah, I forgot. VIP perks aren't worth anything. <grin>)

Next trip north, try Wyndham Lake Marion in Santee, SC. For us, it's just about halfway between Fairfax County, VA and Cocoa Beach, Daytona, or Orlando. Don't know how it would work for you. They may not allow one night stays, though. We stayed two nights the one time we were there.

Shoot me a PM with your email address. I'll send you a couple of restaurant certificates left unused by a guy I know who was there a few months back. You'll need 'em. There are no family-priced restaurants in the whole National Harbor development. In fact, it may be worth the trouble to take the shuttle boat over to civilization in Alexandria, VA.

We've stayed at National Harbor three times. It's just twenty minutes from the house so we've gone over just for a weekend or last summer for a couple of nights around 4th of July.

You cant get an upgrade if the availability isnt there

I looked at Santee, in fact it was my first choice, but all they had on the way north was a 3 bedroom, and nothing on the way back..Myrtle Beach I felt was just too far off 95 and would have added just a little too much to my drive time

Thanks for the offer of restaurant coupons, But my plan is to visit the nearest Giant and buy enough food that I can host a buffet in my condo every night we are there, Rather than driving all over the Metro area visiting friends and family, Im going to have them come to me

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
You cant get an upgrade if the availability isnt there

I looked at Santee, in fact it was my first choice, but all they had on the way north was a 3 bedroom, and nothing on the way back..Myrtle Beach I felt was just too far off 95 and would have added just a little too much to my drive time

Thanks for the offer of restaurant coupons, But my plan is to visit the nearest Giant and buy enough food that I can host a buffet in my condo every night we are there, Rather than driving all over the Metro area visiting friends and family, Im going to have them come to me

I just checked Ocean Walk. There are 2 night stays available starting Friday, November 18 -- a 1BR deluxe, a 1BR suite, a 2BR deluxe, and a 2BR LO. The 1BRD is 22.5K and the 2BR deluxe is 32K points with a 50% discount.

Santee has become a popular way point for people running I-95. We did a two-night stay there in mid-December last year because the AmTrak Autotrain fare southbound was about $250 more than the northbound fare the first weekend in January. I took two more days vacation and we did the Santee stop.

We have found the Autotrain to be a decent way to avoid the non-stop drive on I-95 (which has to be one of the world's most boring roads). Like you, we never seem to be able to get away at an early hour. I don't mind driving 12 or 14 hours but I hate the last 4 or 5 hours being in the dark. We're 8 miles from the Virginia Autotrain terminal in Lorton. National Harbor is only about 30 minutes from Lorton, depending on traffic. (Everything is always "depending on traffic" in the DC area. You know that.)

Sounds like you have things covered meals-wise! I'd invite us over <grin> except we're heading south for our annual Thanksgiving week in the Quarter House in New Orleans. Gotta go see how the levees is doin'. We'll do one night stays at Wyndham Smoky Mountains in both directions. We used to go straight through to N.O. with my wife driving some in Tennessee and Alabama. No more! Coming north a couple of years ago, she was sick as a dog, spent the entire time leaning against the passenger door, and I wasn't feeling much better. Eighteen hours from N.O. to Fairfax County, VA is too much!

Last edited: