• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

? on buying the 2nd half of Starwood

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you brought an odd year and you want to get an even year unit, do you return your odd year to Starwood and get an annual year from starwood. Otherwise, you will end up with an odd year and an even year contract. You will have to pay extra $20 for admin fees in the maintenance fees for each contract.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I don't know about Starwood but I started with an Odd year TS and bought an even. I was told that I couldn't combine them as that is how they were deeded.

On the plus side, it allows me to sell them seperately if I wanted to.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you brought an odd year and you want to get an even year unit, do you return your odd year to Starwood and get an annual year from starwood. Otherwise, you will end up with an odd year and an even year contract. You will have to pay extra $20 for admin fees in the maintenance fees for each contract.

i have done this twice and each time was different. before i go into details you must get an explorer package. call kierland and tell them you want one. this will cost you $1995 +$99 fee. the $1995 will be used toward the downpayment of the new upgrade = you will receive 80,000 starpoints.

now my first upgrade i owned eoy even at westin kierland and i wanted to use my 1 year option to purchase the other half for the same price it was the year before. but they did not have my unit available eoy odd so they sold me a separate unit. so i know 2 separate deeded timeshares at kierland.
they would not give me any incentive starpoints for the upgrade. but it was a great price so we did it. the downside to this is they are treated as separate units, so if i want to borrow in 2007 they will take it out of my 2009 unit not my 2008 unit.

when we upgraded our VV, we owned eoy odd in the bella section of VV and they upgraded us to an EY unit in the key west section. they bought back the bella unit at the same price as an eoy unit and i paid the difference for an every year. again they would not give us a sales incentive but i had the explorer package and got the extra starpoints.

i am presuming you bought the original from the developer, if you didn't then it could be a completely different story. you would have to buy the upgrade and requalify the other half.

they can only upgrade if they have the inventory.
good luck

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have done this twice and each time was different. before i go into details you must get an explorer package. call kierland and tell them you want one. this will cost you $1995 +$99 fee. the $1995 will be used toward the downpayment of the new upgrade = you will receive 80,000 starpoints.
What is explorer package? Can you get it even if you are already starwood owner? Can I use it to apply to any of the starwood property do I have to buy Kierkland?

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is explorer package? Can you get it even if you are already starwood owner? Can I use it to apply to any of the starwood property do I have to buy Kierkland?

i am an owner ,it is a program for the person who goes on an owner's update and is not ready to buy anything at that time so they are offering an explorer package. there is one offered at every sales center. i had a kierlans explorer package and bought at VV. i can look up the number for you pm me.

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experience of buying the 2nd half. The sales rep told me that it will have to be 2 deeds for exercising the option of buying the other half. Since the option price is low - 40% of the annual, they won't take back the original unit. (doesn't sound right). He will offer the explorer package $1495 , 75000 starpoints but it can't use it for exercising the option of buying the 2nd half of the unit. You will have to buy a new unit (50% of the annual).

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We bought our second half. It could not be turned back in for an EY, so we have two separate deeds and we do pay $40 a year extra plus $31.30 in SVN fees. The plus side is that we can sell them separately if we had to.

I was not aware that anyone would let me use an Explorer Package for the option to buy the second half. I didn't ask at the time. Next time, I guess...ha ha...:D !

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experience of buying the 2nd half. The sales rep told me that it will have to be 2 deeds for exercising the option of buying the other half. Since the option price is low - 40% of the annual, they won't take back the original unit. (doesn't sound right). He will offer the explorer package $1495 , 75000 starpoints but it can't use it for exercising the option of buying the 2nd half of the unit. You will have to buy a new unit (50% of the annual).

why did they say you couldn't use the explorer package? if you are buying eoy you should get half the stapoints. that was in our explorer package.tell him you want the explorer package before you purchase the 2nd half. you want those starpoints.

i will never purchase another developer week without the explorer package.