• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

On airplane now, large woman spilling onto me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
from the blog link http://www.kenlietiggeman.com/
"...The problem I have with Southwest is not that they may want me to purchase two seats. It’s that sometimes they want that, and other times they don’t. I don’t know about you, but I fly a lot. And paying double because a gate agent may or may not have something against overweight people is not realistic…nor should it be necessary. ..."

:ponder: Seems to me sometimes she has been allowed to bypass their rules, making it less costly $$$, and other times not. She is asking the airline employees to always follow their rules and make it known.

I don't see it related to whether a "gate agent may [have] something against overweight people..." - it's whether the gate agent is following policy.

I think their policy makes sense, two seats, but if the plane has extra room they'll refund the second. Sounds pretty fair to me.

We're only four posts away from the AI 2010 thread in front of us, with 479. Not that that's our goal, just FYI :)

PM

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Strikes me that the inconsistent enforcement of the 'two seat rule' is a lot like the 'random inspection' button one pushes entering Mexico, or being subject to random inspection by TSA upon boarding any flight. When you get by without additional inconvenience or expense, you just feel lucky. Those who should be subject to the 'buy two seats' rule know it. This is no mystery. They should simply feel lucky when the flight doesn't cost them double and be quiet about it.

A lot like cruising past a parked cop with his radar out the window at 70 in a 55. Sometimes you just get lucky even when caught dead to rights.

Jim

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We're only four posts away from the AI 2010 thread in front of us, with 479. Not that that's our goal, just FYI :)

Oh, really? ;)

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not read SWA rules, just her blog where it sounded as if some gate agents let her on with no second ticket?:shrug: Even if they were going to refund the cost later if flight was not full from what their rules apparently are.

The SWA rule is "Buy the 2 seats and IF plane is not full, "passenger of size" can request a FULL REFUND of the cost of the 2nd seat." Where does it say the employees should enforce the size rule at the gate consistantly? If "BB" doesn't comply, SWA may deny boarding to her to protect the other passengers from an unpleasant (and possibly unsafe) trip while she is practing being cheap.

Kevin Smith learned that lesson with just ONE bump off SWA => he also lost alot of weight after that.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Strikes me that the inconsistent enforcement of the 'two seat rule' is a lot like the 'random inspection' button one pushes entering Mexico, or being subject to random inspection by TSA upon boarding any flight. When you get by without additional inconvenience or expense, you just feel lucky. Those who should be subject to the 'buy two seats' rule know it. This is no mystery. They should simply feel lucky when the flight doesn't cost them double and be quiet about it.

A lot like cruising past a parked cop with his radar out the window at 70 in a 55. Sometimes you just get lucky even when caught dead to rights.

Jim

Consider the like button activated.:D
I simply do not understand this woman's attitude.
I think she is miffed about being humiliated at the gate which would not have happened if she had bought the two tickets that she knew was policy. She tried to get away with something and got nabbed.

geekette

Reaction score
Also, she wishes the gate agent would use more discretion when pointing out her size in front of the other passengers.
Don't the other passengers already know that she is a Large Lady?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't the other passengers already know that she is a Large Lady?

What is clear is, she is a Passenger of Size. Don't think the 17 inch seat or the person(s) seated next to a Passenger of Size care about anything else. ;)

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
What is clear is, she is a Passenger of Size. Don't think the 17 inch seat or the person(s) seated next to a Passenger of Size care about anything else. ;)

Passenger of size, indeed. Pfft.

She's morbidly obese. She's losing weight. And that's great. Good for her. I hope she sticks with it. But she's morbidly obese. Not "of size."

I'm very tall. I'm not "of size" either. Call me "of size" and I'll correct you.

We should quit beating around the bush and say what we mean. "Morbidly obese" is the correct, accurate, medical description for someone with her body mass. If morbidly obese people take offense at the term, they should take a little more exercise and eat healthier food.

I refuse to be an enabler for America's obesity crisis.

I don't think they should even receive a refund. They used two seats. They should pay for two seats -- even if the airplane isn't full. Refunding the extra ticket is akin to the healthy subsidizing the unhealthy -- which we do anyway though our insurance payments and property taxes.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was polite and did reference her only once as BB in a prior post. :ignore:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passenger of size, indeed. Pfft...

Passenger of Size is the term used in documents by Southwest Airlines. I would phrase it closer to your terms in face to face communications with others in a social setting involving wine.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
After being away for more then two weeks, I'm surprised to see this thread still going. :rolleyes:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
And now THIS- Overweight passengers seatbelts won't hold them

As if it isn't enough to have porky beside us paying the same as us, NOW, it's shown that their seats and seat belts won't hold them in a crash!

All the more reason to charge 'em double. Reinforced seats to protect the rest of us. Maybe put them all in first class in big seats so in a crash and the plane 'accordioning', us 'people of standard size' will have a soft cushion ahead of us in the plane!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47333720/ns/business-us_business/#.T6kaCcV52Ss

Jim

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
As if it isn't enough to have porky beside us paying the same as us, NOW, it's shown that their seats and seat belts won't hold them in a crash!

All the more reason to charge 'em double. Reinforced seats to protect the rest of us. Maybe put them all in first class in big seats so in a crash and the plane 'accordioning', us 'people of standard size' will have a soft cushion ahead of us in the plane!

Jim

In a crash, the seatbelt will be the least of one's worries.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a crash, the seatbelt will be the least of one's worries.

Perhaps not, but I still don't want some hippopotamus bouncing around the cabin during turbulence. Some sort of restraint and reinforced seats are needed. And by the article above, 42% of Americans will be obese in just a few years. I see it now- like in the early days of passenger travel- climb aboard the trusty DC-2 or Ford Trimotor with one seat on each side of the aisle.

Jim

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
“There is no regulation that says they have to test for heavier.” from the article linked below. Seems common sense, but until they are forced to or have proof guess they will avoid it! :annoyed:

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying on American and Delta (6 different flight) in the past month, I forgot how Southwest is an equal opportunity airline for seat choices. Those First Class and Business Class seats look so nice and big and plush. With leg room and elbow room, too. Plus, those tabletop tray sections between the seats.

I had seats in the middle, window and aisle. I even TWICE had all 3 seats to myself, but 3 times, all 3 seats were occupied (full flights). Only once out of 4 times was the middle seat empty. The one bad flight was 3+ hours where I sat in a window seat and the woman infront of me smelled really BAD from purfume; told the flight male attendant that "she stank" and I was having reaction to her with trouble breathing. He did NOTHING, but said say the flight was full. The guy in the middle seat was VERY NICE TO ME - but could/would NOT comment to the flight attendant on my complaint as these 2 passengers were of the same race. It was so bad that my lips actually developed a chemical reaction rash after an hour.

Next time, I will get up immediately and bitched to all the flight attendants.

Oder can be just as bad as invading personal space on a flight.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a co worker who starts coughing with strong perfume/cologne near her . I hate it when I go to the gym and somebody is wearing too much cologne/perfume then gets on a machine next to me. Or even when there is a left over scent in the air after someone passes by...

...It was so bad that my lips actually developed a chemical reaction rash after an hour.

Next time, I will get up immediately and bitched to all the flight attendants.

Oder can be just as bad as invading personal space on a flight.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had seats in the middle, window and aisle. I even TWICE had all 3 seats to myself, but 3 times, all 3 seats were occupied (full flights). Only once out of 4 times was the middle seat empty. The one bad flight was 3+ hours where I sat in a window seat and the woman infront of me smelled really BAD from purfume; told the flight male attendant that "she stank" and I was having reaction to her with trouble breathing. He did NOTHING, but said say the flight was full. The guy in the middle seat was VERY NICE TO ME - but could/would NOT comment to the flight attendant on my complaint as these 2 passengers were of the same race. It was so bad that my lips actually developed a chemical reaction rash after an hour.

Huh? He told you that? What did he say exactly?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was so bad that my lips actually developed a chemical reaction rash after an hour.

I seem to be more sensitive to strong smells than others. My throat seems to clamp shut at the smell of smoke and strong perfume. But smelly is one thing... Corrosive is something else! I think I might have said something like, "Madam, I seem to be allergic to your perfume. Would you remove some of it for the comfort of others around you?"

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I seem to be more sensitive to strong smells than others. My throat seems to clamp shut at the smell of smoke and strong perfume. But smelly is one thing... Corrosive is something else! I think I might have said something like, "Madam, I seem to be allergic to your perfume. Would you remove some of it for the comfort of others around you?"

Jim

In the airplane's shower??? :shrug:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huh? He told you that? What did he say exactly?

Lets see "do you smell anything?", answer "Uh?" with the downward looking eyes. "is that perfume really strong?", answer "Uh?" with downward eyes. Every other question, he replied with at least 15 words and follow up questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.