• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

On airplane now, large woman spilling onto me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
To be fair, while i may not be obese, at almost 6'3 and 210lbs, these airline seats are a tight fit, if i'm not in an exit row, my knees are sore for hours after the flight, if someone reclines, its all over and yes, even though i'm not 'large' the seats widths are tight also

I don't get how the Airlines can get away with the seat dimensions they use on flights...

Ride...you're tiny compared to H's seat-mate!

Ingrid

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
To be fair, while i may not be obese, at almost 6'3 and 210lbs, these airline seats are a tight fit, if i'm not in an exit row, my knees are sore for hours after the flight, if someone reclines, its all over and yes, even though i'm not 'large' the seats widths are tight also

I don't get how the Airlines can get away with the seat dimensions they use on flights...

I feel you pain. I'm not nearly as tall as you but, I have issues fiting into the assigned space in the economy cabin. To that end, we often look for airlines with "stretch" seating for our longer flights. I prefer to pay for that little bit of extra space because I know that those in front of me are bound the recline their seats (as far as I'm concerned this is acceptable behavior since the seats are designed to recline).

However, I don't feel I should be forced to pay for the addtional room because I'm flying next to someone who can't possibly fit in their assigned seat. I do so for my own comfort and so that I don't annoy someone else when I want to recline to sleep. Besides, in the economy section, if you recline and the person behind you needs to get up, it's the back of my seat they must grab in order to unwedge themselves from their seat. I've had my hair inadvertanly pulled more than once because there just isn't enough room.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding...
semi kidding, but some valid points of tolerance and understanding in there. But at least he wasnt on a spirit flight, she would have been on his lap.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not at all funny, really...

That should be filmed and sent in to America's Funniest Videos.

Some offended "plus size" lawyer somewhere would just love to see that happen, lawsuit at the ready...

I don't actually find much about the reality of the situation at all amusing, personally. My laugh was solely at heathpack's artful choice of words and images in describing an otherwise thoroughly "not funny" dilemma.

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone once mentioned weighing the passenger as well as his luggage when charging for baggage. Perhaps, we should be required to have our derriere's measured with calipers and charged for seating accordingly. Afterall, do any of us have any dignity left after being irradiated, stripped nearly naked and patted down?

I found myself being very irritated once when I had paid for premium front row seating for a play. The woman next to me was in her seat and mine. I literally had to sit on my side. At intermission she moved to some empty seats in the second row. If she hadn't, I would have.

Seriously, you know when you are thaaaat big. You know you need more than one seat. You should buy two to accomodate yourself. You should not expect someone else to pay for your extra width.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
This particular passenger did not need a seatbelt extender that I could tell. I would say she was maybe 300 lbs?

The biggest issue was her body shape. She carried her weight all over her body, including her back, her chest, her armpit region and her arms. This forced her into a constant "arms akimbo" posture, with her arms/elbows jutting into my seat by about 4 inches. If she held her arms low, her arms would press down on top of my arm. If she held her arms high, she threatened to elbow me in the head.

When the plane would move ever so slightly up and down (which, I had never noticed before, planes do pretty much constantly), her sweatshirted arm would rub against my bare are- after several hours, this became pretty uncomfortable. It was too warm to put on a jacket or cover up with a blanket.

But the worst thing was that shewas determined to fully entertain herself- play on her phone, watch the inboard TV (pushing on-screen buttons every minute or two). So she was constantly moving around, which made her elbowing very irritating. I felt like I was in a hockey game.

I am not totally heartless. Would have felt a little badly for her if she seemed to care that she was all over my personal space, if she recognized that her body shape forced her elbows into the space occupied by my seat and sat relatively still reading a book or listening to music. If she expressed even a whiff of regret when I asked her to stop playing her video game.

Later we saw her in the terminal- she could/did not walk normally-very slowly, her body moving from side to side when she walked. It really was a safety issue to have her in an exit row seat. She could not get out of her seat quickly, she could not move easily through the exit row.

Ah, well, such is life. I will try to find time to write a letter to Delta. The airlines need to come up with a good, palatable solution to this.

H

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet the offending passenger ate too many mini pies...........

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found myself being very irritated once when I had paid for premium front row seating for a play. The woman next to me was in her seat and mine. I literally had to sit on my side.

Seriously, you know when you are thaaaat big. You know you need more than one seat. You should buy two to accomodate yourself. You should not expect someone else to pay for your extra width.

That has happened to me twice at Cirque du Solei. I paid big bucks for a good seat only to have someone taking up their own seat plus half of mine.

After the second time, I decided that I would only attend another show like that if I bought myself 2 seats, so that I could at least have one whole seat. However, that makes me feel punished for not being obese.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
That has happened to me twice at Cirque du Solei. I paid big bucks for a good seat only to have someone taking up their own seat plus half of mine.

After the second time, I decided that I would only attend another show like that if I bought myself 2 seats, so that I could at least have one whole seat. However, that makes me feel punished for not being obese.

This is why its so great doing things with a 6yr old, if i'm sitting next to a 'larger' person, i can still use up some of my daughters seat.

MomoD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't stop laughing

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I have not laughed this much in ages. Not the because of the OP, but all the comments that have been posted since. I am sitting with tears running down my face. Ron you should be on the stage.

I see airplane travel in much the same way. Vacations start and end with a miserable uncomfortable day...with any luck the time in between made it worthwhile

I so agree with the above statement.

When I compare the size of the people I see on any city street, to the size of the typical airplane seat; its clear that your problem has to be a common problem. When I fly, I assume that it will be a miserable experience, and if its not..thats the surprise...I see airplane travel as no better than than an old greyhound bus. I have come to accept that Im not paying for a seat...Im paying for transport. If they get me to my destination...Im happy.

Be happy its only farts...You know she wont fit into the toilet

My last trip I sat next to a young mother holding a baby on her lap. Why her carry on didnt have to be shoved under the seat or in the overhead bin is a mystery to me.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Air travel today is no fun. Cramped seats, overloaded storage, overweight passengers, small children on laps. Planes are simply buses with wings. There is none of the 'glamour' of earlier air travel.

Heath, I understand your strategy of you and Mr. H taking cross-aisle seats on an intercontinental flight. Perhaps, though, in view of the circumstances, one or the other of you might have offered the overstuffed offender an aisle seat and you and your DH could have seated together and 'miss Piggy' (sorry, we saw the Muppets this weekend) would have spilled into the aisle so everyone could have enjoyed jostling her as they passed by.

It's all water under the bridge now, but just a possible solution to a difficult problem.

Wherever you are traveling, enjoy it!

Jim

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One time when this situation happened to me, I complained to the flight attendants and was told "Regardless of what you think, he is a human being and deserves his seat." I didn't think I had implied he wasn't a human being, but I had said that I deserved the seat I had paid for. Finally, they moved me to another seat and my husband and the large man shared that row. I felt like I was the one punished: I was moved away from my husband and the large man got another seat to spill out into.

The last time it happened, the man was pleasant, polite, and cheerful. He made every effort possible not to intrude into my seat, and I was not nearly as offended as I was the time before.

It has happened often enough to us that we've abandoned our practice of having aisle seats across from each other. We decided that increased the chances one of us would have a seat next to a person "of size" or with a lap child, etc. Now, I take the middle seat or the window seat, figuring that most people "of size" won't take the window seat (there's no give at all there) if they can avoid it. Obviously, there's no way to tell whether being the middle passenger has saved me from inconvenience or has merely increased my inconvenience by being in the middle.

As to the seat belt extender rule, the last man didn't even ask for one. He simply pretended to use the belt given by lifting his fat and passing the belt under it. There would be no way to challenge him without really embarassing everyone by asking him to lift his fat and show a fastened seat belt--which he could not have done, but who would ask? I suppose one could say that he wasn't a safety hazzard because there was no way he was coming out of the seat on an air bump.

slomac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
Thanks for a good belly laugh. sorry you had to endure this but look at all the laughs you gave us all:)

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why its so great doing things with a 6yr old, if i'm sitting next to a 'larger' person, i can still use up some of my daughters seat.

Ride this is why I love sitting next to my daughter! I am 5 feet 108 pounds and my 11 year old daughter is 52 inches and 70 pounds (if that). The only time we appreciate being small is on airplanes. We have sat next to big and tall guys, severely overweight women, etc. and we have just cuddled giving up the room to the other people who obviously needed it. I have to say though, each of these people were always considerate and polite to me, even though they were squished like sardines. I guess this is why I didn't mind. That said, however, I would probably have been upset with the constant elbowing and lack of consideration shown by Heathpack's seatmate. I understand that flying is tough, but that does not mean people should lack basic manners. Couple this with the small seat size and people who love to lean back and it is a recipe for disaster. My kids have been trained to be respecful, so flying with them is great. My issue is the little monsters who love to kick our seats where the parent is there and does nothing. I have turned around and said something twice only to be ignored by the parent.

Heathpack, I totally feel for you. Hopefully your vacation makes up for the unpleasant flight and the rest of your time is spent pleasantly.

Anita

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
...and as the seats continue to get narrower. The seats are already too narrow for those that are considered average size.

Exactly. Not ignoring the fact that the OP has a legitimate gripe but this part is especially frustrating to me.

I'm 6'2, 208lbs. I don't even "fit in the seats" in coach (first/business is different).

Even if I sit with my ass as far back as I can. My knees are in the seat in front of me, god forbid if they recline their seat (sorry if you're ever seated in front of me :)) Not to mention my shoulders exceed the width of the seat.

It works out OK when my gf is flying with me, since she is 5'0 and tiny, so I can spill over her into her seat in comfort. However, if im flying by myself, I simply take an aisle seat and lean in the aisle and just get battered by the cart as it goes by. :(

I did one flight from Philly to Milan in coach. NEVER AGAIN. I don't care what it costs, Im not sitting in coach ever again. Most miserable trip Ive EVER taken.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score

I already posted then read your post, which is pretty much exactly what I posted (Im 6'2 and 208).

I don't know who they use to measure these seats but it must be the oompa loompas (sp?) :rofl:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As to the seat belt extender rule, the last man didn't even ask for one. He simply pretended to use the belt given by lifting his fat and passing the belt under it. There would be no way to challenge him without really embarassing everyone by asking him to lift his fat and show a fastened seat belt--which he could not have done, but who would ask? I suppose one could say that he wasn't a safety hazzard because there was no way he was coming out of the seat on an air bump.

Ahh, all these posts have me laughing too. Makes me look forward to our June flight!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone once mentioned weighing the passenger as well as his luggage when charging for baggage. Perhaps, we should be required to have our derriere's measured with calipers and charged for seating accordingly. Afterall, do any of us have any dignity left after being irradiated, stripped nearly naked and patted down?

I found myself being very irritated once when I had paid for premium front row seating for a play. . . .

Rose, I had to read this three times before I realized my eyes were tricking me, and you weren't being irradiated when you paid for front row seating for the play...:D

I bet the offending passenger ate too many mini pies...........
I was going to post that too....but didn't want to be offensive about the offender. :D

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I have not laughed this much in ages. Not the because of the OP, but all the comments that have been posted since. I am sitting with tears running down my face. . . . .

My last trip I sat next to a young mother holding a baby on her lap. Why her carry on didnt have to be shoved under the seat or in the overhead bin is a mystery to me.

Especially that last one!

On a more serious note, just the other night we had front-row seats for a performance, and the man next to DH was disabled such that he had little control over arm and leg movements. He didn't, but might well have been inadvertently elbowing/nudging/kicking DH during the whole performance. Hmmm....what if he had been the passenger in the next seat? Just food for thought.

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
how about this?

Sorry to read about your uncomfortable flight.

I'm in the midst of planning a vacation to Universal Studios Florida. I've been reading the forums and there are plenty of threads about how initially the seats on the Forbidden Journey ride (Harry Potter World) prevented "oversize" individuals from riding (currently there are extended size seats available on the ride). There was a "trial" seat outside the ride that one can sit in and see if you "fit" - maybe the airlines should have two trial rows of seats available (two rows required so you can see how much room you'll have in front of you.)

But then I guess it can't be done since anyone singled out to "try" a seat will probably sue the airline...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I feel for you, truly I do. I was in the middle seat once between a married couple. They told me they are both too heavy to sit next to one another, it makes them uncomfortable. All seats left on that flight were middle seats. It was only a 1K mile flight, so it went quickly.

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read about your uncomfortable flight.

I'm in the midst of planning a vacation to Universal Studios Florida. I've been reading the forums and there are plenty of threads about how initially the seats on the Forbidden Journey ride (Harry Potter World) prevented "oversize" individuals from riding (currently there are extended size seats available on the ride). There was a "trial" seat outside the ride that one can sit in and see if you "fit" - maybe the airlines should have two trial rows of seats available (two rows required so you can see how much room you'll have in front of you.)

But then I guess it can't be done since anyone singled out to "try" a seat will probably sue the airline...

I am sure that would work, since everyone already uses the "trial" bag bin to make sure their carry-on will fit...:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...and as the seats continue to get narrower. The seats are already too narrow for those that are considered average size.
The room between seats (front to back) is definitely getting smaller (by about three inches when it was never that great to begin with). Thus, the problems for taller people.

I'm not sure that they are getting narrower. (Someone can correct me if I am wrong.) The very newest jets have been built slightly wider so that their seats are about one inch wider, not narrower. With an older jet, taking a six across seating pattern as an example, there would be no advantage to making the seats narrower. Two inches narrower would only widen the aisle by twelve inches, not provide enough room for a seventh seat.

The sad truth is that Americans are just getting wider.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
My last trip I sat next to a young mother holding a baby on her lap. Why her carry on didnt have to be shoved under the seat or in the overhead bin is a mystery to me.

:rofl:
You all have convinced me to pay for the upgrade to economy plus on the overnight flight back from Hawaii.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Obviously, lots of people have experienced this problem, and lots of people are talking about it. The following ABC news item points out that the obese people's argument is that airlines are public conveyors and therefore all have a right to use them. The other side is that everyone has a contract with the airlines for 100% of the space their purchase entitles them to.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/overwe...e-airlines-debate-continues/story?id=12932980

The Everyone-Is-Entitled-To-His-Or-Her-Whole-Seat Position: Those on the other side of the problem – travelers who find themselves squeezed by oversized seatmates – claim they shouldn't suffer because someone else is obese. Their contract with the airline entitles them to 100 percent of a seat, not the 90 percent or 80 percent or maybe 70 percent of a seat left after an obese traveler spills over into their limited space. An airline's failure to protect them against the encroachment is a violation of their contract of carriage.

My original call – confirmed after booth review – is that the most fundamental "right" here is the right of a traveler to 100 percent of the seat space he or she occupies. That's the contract a traveler has with an airline, and the airline should honor it. It trumps any claims that oversize travelers have to intrude on someone else's seat. Oversize travelers have the right to an equitable solution, but not necessarily one that doesn't cost more.

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Reminds me of a funny one:

The flight attendant watched a passenger try to stuff his hopelessly overloaded bags into the overhead bin.

Finally she informed him that he would have to check the oversized luggage. "When I fly other airlines," he said irritably, "I never have this problem!"

She smiled and said, "Sir, when you fly other airlines, I don't have this problem either."

This whole thread reminds me of why "drive to" timeshares are a good idea! :hysterical:

Status
Not open for further replies.