• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

On airplane now, large woman spilling onto me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Food policy drives the dollars. For example- we- you & I and every US taxpayer- heavily subsidize the production of corn. Which becomes corn-fed beef and HFCS. HFCS is way cheaper than traditional cane sugar, therefore junk foods become cheaper to make and therefore easier to sell at an attractive price. Our government could choose instead to more heavily subsidize say raspberry production or provide serious tax breaks for farmers raising beef on pasture for its entire lifespan. But instead of giving the break to the lady on the plane who'd maybe prefer a pint of raspberries over the family sized kit kat bar that she actually ate, we set up our food policy such that the raspberries are $5 but the kit kat is $2.

Maybe that is not the best example, part of the cost of raspberries are their extreme perishability. But you see what I'm saying. It's as if food policy subsidized the production of rum and then we as a nation wondered why everyone was drunk all the time.

H
[emphasis added by me]

I think it is the other way around. Dollars drive the food policy. Lobbying is heavy. We used to have the Basic Four Food Groups where each group had equal visual standing in the grid. The Food Pyramid was held back for I-don't-remember-how-many months/years because the dairy and meat industries didn't like losing real estate to the grains and produce. They didn't like the smaller emphasis on their products. The science was there but the industries (large and small) opposed the change.

Another example is school vending machines. Each time that is brought up in our state legislature the vending machine companies as well as the schools come out against it. Everyone knows it is bad for the children but they come up with excuses such as choice and moderation blah, blah, blah.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am in full agreement with the op that the behaviour of the person sitting beside her was wrong. She was totally inconsiderate of the people sharing the row with her and there is no excuse for that.

But, try as people may to excuse away obesity as an addiction, this is about what happens when someone who can't fit in a seat tries to do so next to you. I haven't heard one good argument why this sort of behavior should be permitted.

Just a lot of smoke and mirrors deflecting the point.
[emphasis added by me]
Explanations are not the same as excuses. I've not made any excuses for people but only explanations as something to consider.

Fat lady taking up more than what she paid for on the plane? I've said all along that was wrong. However, smug judgements are also wrong. We simply do not know what was going on in that woman's life. She may have been an insensitive, self-entitled slob with no concern for anyone around her. Or, she may have been pathologically shy, abused from childhood, with a damaged psyche, poor education, low IQ and who self-medicated with food and video games. None of us knows and therefore have no right to label her.

Whatever, she needed two seats, should have bought two seats and maybe it never occured to her that she could actually buy two seats. Sometimes the obvious isn't obvious to the individual and we have all fallen into that at some point. :doh: Oh, I could have had a V-8. Maybe by buying the exit row seat, she thought she was buying an upgrade to a larger seat. That is the airline's mistake for not informing her. It is the airline's mistake for not following its own policy (assuming here it had one as most airlines do). As I've said before, it is a safety issue not just a public relations or comfort issue.

All of us need to take responsibility for our own actions and I believe we also have a responsibility to help other people as well. It doesn't hurt us to be kind. That fat-woman-on-the-plane affects me almost as much as my own fat affects me. The $$$$ obesity is causing this nation is staggering. We all pay for it.

I don't think the airlines need to make larger seats just because the population is large. The population needs to shed its excess poundage. The more we accomodate fat, the more normal it seems. The ever larger food portion sizes now seem average. When did a small soft drink become 20 ounces?! When did a hamburger go from 3 ounces to a half pound?!

To me, the answer, as painful or embarrasing as it may be, is to charge people for two seats. As I mentioned before, SWA will reimburse for the second seat if the flight is not full. If we have to pay for our fat upfront, maybe we will be more likely to face it and do something about it. Then we won't have to pay so much for the effects of fat after the fact such as disease caused directly from it.

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... Dollars drive the food policy. Lobbying is heavy. .....

That is the bottom line-- $$$$ drives policy in many things including airline seats.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... Dollars drive the food policy. Lobbying is heavy. .

Isn't it true that somebody made pizza fit into one of the food groups because it has tomato sauce on it?? :ponder:

I'm sure I read about this a couple of months ago.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score

Isn't it true that somebody made pizza fit into one of the food groups because it has tomato sauce on it?? :ponder:

Ketchup And relish were included as a vegetable for school lunches, ah, nevermind wrong decade, that was Reagan

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

At one point there was an uproar because ketchup was allowed to be counted as a vegetable in school lunches.

Pizza is a combination food with ingredients from more than one food group. It contains grains (best to choose whole grains), vegetables (yes, tomato sauce is a vegetable, just watch how much sodium is in it), cheese (dairy group--you can still get the cheesy flavor by using a small amount of cheese and/or highly flavored cheeses, but by using less cheese you can keep the saturated fat down. Depending on how you make your pizza, it can be a healthy food. Load it with lots of fresh veggies and even add some lean meats if you like. Choose foods low in sodium when loading up your pizza.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an article from about four years ago detailing how our country supports high calory (but hardly healthful) food.

Michael Pollon

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an article from about four years ago detailing how our country supports high calory (but hardly healthful) food.

Michael Pollon
Thank you for posting that, Roger. I hope many people will read it.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
5'4" here and maybe 8 years ago was walking x5days/week with a friend a couple miles. She then heard that we probably needed to walk 5 miles x5days/wk to drop weight. Neither of us overweight according to charts but wanted to drop to that 20 yo body weight :D we no longer had. So she figured out a couple 5 mile routes, 1/2 being uphill, and guess what? I started to drop pounds, no diet changes. Then she got a new job so that project stopped :ignore: I am convinced from that experience it takes lots of exercise and/or diet changes to drop weight but everyone's metabolism is no doubt different and stage of life/age has a whole lot to do with mine.:ponder:

This is a valid point. On a doctor monitored weight program I found out: At my height (5 feet nothing) and metabolism I have to work out 2 hours per day 7 days a week and consume 1200 or less to maintain being 40 pounds over weight. If I want to reach chart ideas I have to eat less than 1000 calories a day. Yes, I can go on an extream diet and lose weight but keeping the caloric intake on less than what most people would find hard to do, on a daily basis is hard. Which is why my weight goes up and down. Don't judge anyone on their weight unless that person is yourself, since you don't know their story.

As for OP, as she pointed out, her problem was not the weight but rather the sense of entitlement the person beside her had with regards to personal space and attitude. It would have been the same issue if it was a tall skinny person who kept jabbing her in the ribs with total disregard. Definately a valid point. Very glad to see that the seats on first class gave her a much deserved break!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Seat selection for two seats.

I know someone who bought two lowest price economy seats to have more space but they didn't permit seat selection online. At check in, the flight people had her two seats but not side by side...then gave the extra to a standby at takeoff.

She's still fighting for her money back on the extra seat.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Obesity and The Perfect Food

At one point there was an uproar because ketchup was allowed to be counted as a vegetable in school lunches.

Pizza is a combination food with ingredients from more than one food group. It contains grains (best to choose whole grains), vegetables (yes, tomato sauce is a vegetable, just watch how much sodium is in it), cheese (dairy group--you can still get the cheesy flavor by using a small amount of cheese and/or highly flavored cheeses, but by using less cheese you can keep the saturated fat down. Depending on how you make your pizza, it can be a healthy food. Load it with lots of fresh veggies and even add some lean meats if you like. Choose foods low in sodium when loading up your pizza.

I'm not sure if we've yet discussed the relationship between obesity and what some of us consider The Perfect Food. Of course I refer here to Chocolate, which, to many, especially women, is The Perfect Food. Cocoa beans are beans, right? Vegetable and Protein? Sugar comes from vegetables. Vanilla? Another vegetable. Milk? Dairy, more protein. So what's the darn problem?

It's yummy, it's medicinal (think stress), it's a happy food, it has protein and vegetable, and it's so darn frustrating that it's so darn 1) fattening and 2) addictive. Grrrrr. If I had chocolate in the house, I would eat it. If DH or DD hid it, I would find it and eat it. And I would find it difficult if not impossible to not over-eat it. And I would become obese and not fit into a 17" airline seat.

Sure, if I could eat it in moderation like DH (another Grrrrr), there'd be no problem. My mother could actually eat HALF of an Oreo (not that I'm putting Oreos in a class with good chocolate...) But either there really IS something addictive in it, or I (and many others) have wiring or genes or whatever that leads to chocolate cravings. If I have just a little - say a few Hershey Kisses or a few squares of really really good dark chocolate - I want more, more, more. I will happily eat a whole bag of Kisses or Dove dark chocolate or even Hershey's miniatures in about two nights, maybe three. On the other hand, if I haven't had any for a few weeks, I could probably go forever without any. But I don't WANT TO go without any chocolate! Again, frustrating.

Thus I must restrain myself so if I ever find myself in an exit row I can safely open the exit and get out, and if I ever find myself sitting next to Heath I won't jab her with my elbows akimbo!

ok, rant over :)

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
But I don't WANT TO go without any chocolate! Again, frustrating.

I wouldn't fret too much. Chocolate and vanilla are about to become so expensive that only the super rich can afford it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/chocolate-shortage_n_1273795.html

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...pcakes-bean-shortage-20120422,0,2451070.story

These links are hack jobs. Poorly written. The problem is worse than they say. Orchids which produce the vanilla bean are dying en masse, and so are the cocoa trees.

My wife's ancestors have a saying. "May you live in interesting times."

Well, it's getting interesting. I'd use "scary." But you get the idea.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't fret too much. Chocolate and vanilla are about to become so expensive that only the super rich can afford it.

Well that should help with the obesity problem.

And maybe I'll stock my freezer with the really good stuff.

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know someone who bought two lowest price economy seats to have more space but they didn't permit seat selection online. At check in, the flight people had her two seats but not side by side...then gave the extra to a standby at takeoff.

Wouldn't a first class ticket have been cheaper?

She needed a handicap placard to positively ensure side by side on her seats (or a quality airline) - sounds like it was Del*a?

ScoopKona

Reaction score

Well that should help with the obesity problem.

And maybe I'll stock my freezer with the really good stuff.

Cocoa (and vanilla) aren't the culprits. Cocoa is amazingly good for you. It's all that extra sugar and fat that we add when we turn them in to chocolate bars and vanilla ice cream.

Start drinking unsweetened cocoa as a beverage. Seriously. Find yourself a tin of decent unsweetened cocoa and start brewing it. If you've got a Jones for cocoa, you may as well feed your addiction in such a way that it's good for you.

It's a powerful anti-oxidant.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
So someone tried to do the right thing and the airline messed it up! What airline didn't refund her $$$?

From what I have seen first class tickets would usually cost more then 2 lowest price economy, though I don't often look.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Wouldn't a first class ticket have been cheaper?

Nope. For instance, for the trip I want to take to India, economy costs around $1300 round trip. First class is 10 times more expensive.

First class only makes sense when using points/miles. But I cash my points in and pay every 10th bill. So I never have many points.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always upgrade using our miles.

There is an interesting article in the "ombudsman" section of Conde Naste Traveller this month. A couple booked a trip (I think to SF) and used their United Air miles to upgrade to business class. When they arrived at the airport they were told they had to pay an additional $900 per ticket. They were not previously told at the time of reservation there was an additional fee. United answers the Ombudsman (who took the case) that their rules concerning "co-pays" were placed on their website and the fliers had to check the web site to find out there would be a charge. The burden was on the fliers according to United even though the airline had many opportunities to advise them of the fee at the time of booking. Bottom line is that the couple was stuck and paid the fees to take their already arranged trip. Ombudsman could not get United to reimburse the charges. Apparently, co-pays for upgrades are really the "in thing" with many airlines.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
time to lock this one down.

i am amazed this thread has spilled over to some 17 pages now.. :mad:

I think it time to lock it down and move on...:cheer:

like the cops on the streets... "move along nothing to see here.. " :ignore:

good night..

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
So long as no rules are broken shouldn't it remain open?? :shrug:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
i am amazed this thread has spilled over to some 17 pages now.. :mad:

I think it time to lock it down and move on...:cheer:

like the cops on the streets... "move along nothing to see here.. " :ignore:

good night..

But we haven't fixed the problem yet ....

Status
Not open for further replies.