• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OLD/Closed General Discussion Thread: C-19/Hawaii. Will Hawaii re-open Oct. 15th? (+ NEW POLL)

When do you think Hawaii will re-open? (End 14 day quarantine.)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What exactly you say I was advocating? Did I say Hawaii should change the tests or anything like that? NO. Going back to what you said, 3-5% positive rate for those that land in Hawaii without a test is WRONG and others told you the same. I think you have nuanced your answer after that but bottom line is that it cannot be 3 or 5% that are contagious, very, very far from that. This is all I said.
I think it's time for mod to move this to debate mode. Not useful to those who want new information.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
b2bailey - I agree, it's tedious, but this thread that we are posting in right now is the discussion thread, and this is the facts thread: FACTS

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update on our trip regarding getting through the airport at HNL. I’m tired this morning and will write more later.

Before we boarded our flight at DFW there were several announcements that we were required to have a QR code issued by the Hawaii Safe Travels program prior to arrival here. They didn’t announce what would happen if someone didn’t have one - just said everyone needed one. They announced it a few more times while in flight. There must have been a few people who didn’t have one because once we arrived and got in lineto go through the screening process,airport employees were walking the line and asking people and pulling them out to a gate area to deal with it.
There were plenty of work stations with employees helping screen everyone. There was one flight in front of us but it took only about 20 minutes to get to a work station and only took about 10 minutes to get through the actual screening process. They asked to see our QR code which they scanned with an IPad, our ID, and they wanted to see an actual paper copy of our Covid-19 negative test results. They reviewed the information gleaned from our QR code (where we were staying and how long) and that was it. So about 30 minutes from the time we entered the line to finishing up. Not bad at all.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Just a quick update on our trip regarding getting through the airport at HNL. I’m tired this morning and will write more later.

Before we boarded our flight at DFW there were several announcements that we were required to have a QR code issued by the Hawaii Safe Travels program prior to arrival here. They didn’t announce what would happen if someone didn’t have one - just said everyone needed one. They announced it a few more times while in flight. There must have been a few people who didn’t have one because once we arrived and got in lineto go through the screening process,airport employees were walking the line and asking people and pulling them out to a gate area to deal with it.
There were plenty of work stations with employees helping screen everyone. There was one flight in front of us but it took only about 20 minutes to get to a work station and only took about 10 minutes to get through the actual screening process. They asked to see our QR code which they scanned with an IPad, our ID, and they wanted to see an actual paper copy of our Covid-19 negative test results. They reviewed the information gleaned from our QR code (where we were staying and how long) and that was it. So about 30 minutes from the time we entered the line to finishing up. Not bad at all.
I wonder how many people have no clue what a QR code is.

I read that at least some of the airlines are working to coordinate their landing times so that they don't have too many flights arrive at the same time. That too would help.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

I read that at least some of the airlines are working to coordinate their landing times so that they don't have too many flights arrive at the same time. That too would help.
I had read on another thread (tripadvisor I think) that some showed up without any testing at all - so they certainly wouldn't have a QR code. Whether they just didn't realize that they could opt out of testing or not, I don't know. But people are amazing sometimes.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Many east coast passengers like myself will be traveling when our results are emailed. I have 2 legs (FLL-SFO and SFO-HNL) on 2 separate days with an overnight at SFO. While I can upload a PDF of the results, how is someone in my position supposed to have a paper copy as well?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I had read on another thread (tripadvisor I think) that some showed up without any testing at all - so they certainly wouldn't have a QR code. Whether they just didn't realize that they could opt out of testing or not, I don't know. But people are amazing sometimes.
Yes. But we also have to recognize that people here are not "typical" or average travelers. There's been lots of press about Hawaii opening, and there are always 2 or 3 standard deviations left of the mean. It's part of the challenge of government... it's easy to plan for those that follow the plan, it's harder to plan for those that don't.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Many east coast passengers like myself will be traveling when our results are emailed. I have 2 legs (FLL-SFO and SFO-HNL) on 2 separate days with an overnight at SFO. While I can upload a PDF of the results, how is someone in my position supposed to have a paper copy as well?
Hopefully you can print it at your hotel in SF.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To clarify, the Hawaii Safe Travel website login and the QR code is required for all arriving passengers, whether they had testing or not. It is used to do the daily monitoring for quarantine.

Funny thing -- my quarantine ended today. I've been receiving a daily email and text reminding me to do login. I'd been wondering if I would receive some kind of "you did it!" communication today. No. Just the absence of the reminder.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I haven't been following this thread very closely (and I'm feeling much better by not reading it daily, FWIW) but why aren't the airlines checking if passengers have this clearance before they board? I wouldn't want to be on a plane with anyone who hasn't been tested, especially if that's the requirement to exit the destination airport. Or, better, why isn't Hawaii sending authorized reps to do the screening at the departing airport? Perhaps this has been answered in a previous post.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You aren't required to have a test - you can still choose to go into quarantine instead. If you come without a test, and get tested in Hawaii, you still have to go into quarantine. You get the QR code when you enter your info into the Safe Travels Program. Over 3,000 if the travelers from the first day were residents, and from the articles I ready, it sounds like many of them were choosing to go home and go into quarantine.

The new online Safe Travels program is mandatory for all travelers entering Hawaii, effective Sept. 1, 2020. This new digital program, which collects the required health and travel information, is critical to protecting the health of our residents and visitors alike. Safe Travels is one part of a multi-layered screening process which includes arrival temperature checks, and secondary screening for those with symptoms or temperatures of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. Travelers are encouraged to enter their information and trip details well in advance of their flight. Once their health information is entered within 24 hours of departure, travelers will receive a QR code via email. The QR code on their mobile device or printed on paper gets scanned by the airport screener upon arrival. All passengers will be required to have a valid email address to receive the QR code. More information on the process can be found by clicking here. A direct link to the program form can be found by visiting https://travel.hawaii.gov

Last edited:

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you can print it at your hotel. Our test results came back in about 18 hours after we took them so yours might come back as quickly and you can print them before you leave. If not, most likely they will by the time you get to SFO and can print them out. If you can’t print them out, I’m fairly certain you could show them the results on your phone and they would accept that. They just want to see the results and verify that the info on the test matches your ID and that it was negative. But, that’s not a definite and I wouldn’t count on it.

I hope all goes well for you!!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m sure there were more than a few. I felt bad for one elderly lady because she didn’t have one and spent the whole flight running back and forth talking to the flight crew about how to get it. I think they got her squared away though.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I voted for Feb 2021. That is seeming pretty realistic now. Either Feb 2021 or sooner!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Supposedly oversight is supposed to transfer from whoever is running it now to the Dept of Health on the first of the year, so probably more growing pains then. This is always going to be a bit of a pita going forward.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I voted for Feb 2021. That is seeming pretty realistic now. Either Feb 2021 or sooner
The poll was for the the current opening (Oct. 15th) with restrictions. If you are talking about Hawaii opening with no restrictions, I'd say there is no chance for Feb. 21. IMNSHO - I'd say they won't open until vaccines are available to everyone, and mainland infection rates are much lower. YMMV

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You aren't required to have a test - you can still choose to go into quarantine instead. If you come without a test, and get tested in Hawaii, you still have to go into quarantine. You get the QR code when you enter your info into the Safe Travels Program. Over 3,000 if the travelers from the first day were residents, and from the articles I ready, it sounds like many of them were choosing to go home and go into quarantine.

The new online Safe Travels program is mandatory for all travelers entering Hawaii, effective Sept. 1, 2020. This new digital program, which collects the required health and travel information, is critical to protecting the health of our residents and visitors alike. Safe Travels is one part of a multi-layered screening process which includes arrival temperature checks, and secondary screening for those with symptoms or temperatures of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. Travelers are encouraged to enter their information and trip details well in advance of their flight. Once their health information is entered within 24 hours of departure, travelers will receive a QR code via email. The QR code on their mobile device or printed on paper gets scanned by the airport screener upon arrival. All passengers will be required to have a valid email address to receive the QR code. More information on the process can be found by clicking here. A direct link to the program form can be found by visiting https://travel.hawaii.gov
I was surprised about 3,000 residents returning the first day. Made me wonder what they've been doing on the mainland. IMHO, this seems like the group most likely to infect others if their residence includes other non quarantined people.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now that Hawaii is open, it's time for the NEW AND IMPROVED Hawaii/COVID-19 poll and thread.

HERE IT IS: NEW POLL/NEW THREAD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.