• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ok-walk me through buying a Grandview for RCI

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I’ve been exploring the idea of picking up an RCI trader, and my understanding is that a 61K Grandview is a good place to start. There’s one on eBay right now I’m eyeing-any guidance? How long will it typically take from purchase to being able to book? I own DVC so am able to explore RCI weeks, last call etc on that side, but am not familiar with the points side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas
[deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been exploring the idea of picking up an RCI trader, and my understanding is that a 61K Grandview is a good place to start. There’s one on eBay right now I’m eyeing-any guidance? How long will it typically take from purchase to being able to book? I own DVC so am able to explore RCI weeks, last call etc on that side, but am not familiar with the points side of things.

I would start by figuring out how many points you need. Grandview units can offer point totals with the same maintenance fee cost.

For example, a 98K a year unit can have the same maintenance fee as a 122K unit.

The difference is when you seek to acquire one. The 122K units have a bit of value, the 98K units are usually free.

Thus, you want the units with the most points and the cheapest fees. A good place to look is on ebay, where you can see what the various point totals are going for.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
Thanks. It’s hard to know how many I need, but I’d read the 61k units for $417 a year were a great value and that’s what I’m looking at. Is there a site where I can look at points required for weeks without already being a points member?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Is the one on eBay a 61K two bedroom or one bedroom? If it’s a one bedroom then it’s a good ownership. 61K is a good place to start, but I prefer the regal vista 89K units. Those are like unicorns it seems.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
One bedroom. Thank you!

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
And googling points now to see what I could theoretically get for this.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
And googling points now to see what I could theoretically get for this.

Where are you looking to go? I see you own DVC. Why not look for an interval trader instead of RCI? Maybe a low cost Marriott unit. You’ll have access to everything then, RCI with your DVC and a Marriott Interval trader. Not sure you would ever want to trade your DVC for RCI units, and in most people’s opinion, interval has higher quality resorts, with the exception of DVC ;). But you will have access to both books of resorts.

I purchased an RCI point ownership so I could trade into DVC, Wyndham, and Hilton. I was already successful in getting a AKL Kidani SV trade and I’m looking for Wyndham in December (If I can’t get an OGS in DVC). I also own interval and have had amazing success with trades, AC’s and getaways all at top Marriott resorts.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
I think an occasional trade into DVC resorts would be great, but I also understand that’s pretty rare in non-Covid times. I was just looking through the RCI points charts-we are West Coasters, and I think our most frequent trips will be West Coast (summer-Central Oregon, California-winter-Phoenix, Leavenworth, ski areas) and Hawaii, though my husband would love to do a Hilton Head trip or other East Coast destinations. Bonnet Creek. I’m not interested in trading my DVC points for RCI-they are mainly Grand Californian points and those babies are like gold-but occasionally see extra vacations that would work (eg Eagle Crest). So, maybe a points trader would be good? Or maybe II is better-whats a good purchase for that (the Grandview equivalent)?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think an occasional trade into DVC resorts would be great, but I also understand that’s pretty rare in non-Covid times. I was just looking through the RCI points charts-we are West Coasters, and I think our most frequent trips will be West Coast (summer-Central Oregon, California-winter-Phoenix, Leavenworth, ski areas) and Hawaii, though my husband would love to do a Hilton Head trip or other East Coast destinations. Bonnet Creek. I’m not interested in trading my DVC points for RCI-they are mainly Grand Californian points and those babies are like gold-but occasionally see extra vacations that would work (eg Eagle Crest). So, maybe a points trader would be good? Or maybe II is better-whats a good purchase for that (the Grandview equivalent)?

@CPNY is giving solid advice.

I own RCI points and II. I like both, but if I had to pick just one it would hands down be II.

In respect to RCI:
Even in normal times trades aren't terribly difficult to OKW and SSR. I'm glad that they are bumping up the capacity at SSR to 5 (would be nice to get an extra bathroom like at AKV and OKW).

Hilton trades within RCI and I've been very pleased at the availability of Big Island resorts (all availability tends to get deposited at once and it goes quickly). We have a couple of weeks lined up for this June.

Based on your destinations, I think II would be preferable. I would pick up a lock off trader like Sheraton Desert Oasis or Marriott Grand Chateau. Maintenance fees are about $1300 and would give you two trades per year. You could also look at Hyatt. I own Hyatt and it's my favorite system, since you use points for trades in their internal system as well as in II. If you can stick to studios in II, you could get up to 5 trades per year with your Hyatt points.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Trading into DVC during normal times via RCI is not hard if you 1) have enough points, 2) set up an OGS search, 3) are happy with a 1BR in SSR or OKW (that is all you are likely to get).

And if you are not picky about when you go, setting up an OGS is not necessary.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Trading into DVC during normal times via RCI is not hard if you 1) have enough points, 2) set up an OGS search, 3) are happy with a 1BR in SSR or OKW (that is all you are likely to get).

And if you are not picky about when you go, setting up an OGS is not necessary.
I’ve noticed the higher DVC point weeks are deposited, Mostly Jan through August. Lower point season in the fall seems to be pretty popular with DVC owners and harder to get with RCI. DVC owners can stretch their points for the FWF, Halloween, and then Christmas season. If I were to buy a DVC, this would be the season I would travel the most. Lower amount of points needed and an overall great time to be in Disney.

I set up an OGS for a specific date next fall but will continue to check for WBC instead.

So far, I’m satisfied with DVC/Wyndham/HGVC availability I’ve seen

owebeewan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dikhololo
Mount Amanzi
Grandview
Kona
Capital Vacations
I would start by figuring out how many points you need. Grandview units can offer point totals with the same maintenance fee cost.

For example, a 98K a year unit can have the same maintenance fee as a 122K unit.

The difference is when you seek to acquire one. The 122K units have a bit of value, the 98K units are usually free.

Thus, you want the units with the most points and the cheapest fees. A good place to look is on ebay, where you can see what the various point totals are going for.

I want to buy a timeshare that will give me the greatest number of RCI points for the lowest cost. How can I go about determining that? I am an RCI weeks owner and cannot see the points value. THe number of points that I want is to take maybe 4 vacations/ year to south FL and book them 1 day to 3 weeks ahead of time.

But as a broad brushstroke, if I bought a Vacation Village 3BR red week for little cost and a $950/ yr maint fee, is that better than buying a points week in South Africa with a lower main fee? Or do I want Hilton?

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I want to buy a timeshare that will give me the greatest number of RCI points for the lowest cost. How can I go about determining that? I am an RCI weeks owner and cannot see the points value. THe number of points that I want is to take maybe 4 vacations/ year to south FL and book them 1 day to 3 weeks ahead of time.

But as a broad brushstroke, if I bought a Vacation Village 3BR red week for little cost and a $950/ yr maint fee, is that better than buying a points week in South Africa with a lower main fee? Or do I want Hilton?

I would be cautious with that strategy. Not all Vacation Village rooms provide the same point values. For example there are Grandview (which is a VV resort) 2BRs that give you 91,000 points and others that give you 122,000. Both are categorized as red weeks. But, the 122,000 rooms are in demand weeks like Thanksgiving and Xmas/New Years. You will also need to know if the rooms are lockoffs that will allow you to deposit portions (2BR deposit as 2 - 1BR).

Also, you will want to find out if the contract you're buying provides you with the VV bonus weeks. Some contracts don't have the bonus weeks written in and others do (mine does). These bonus weeks allow you to book additional weeks for just the cost of an exchange without using your points. There are 3 types of bonus weeks. They allow you to book rooms 2-45 days ahead, 2-90 days ahead, and 2-180 days ahead which would satisfy one of your requirements. It would also mean you could use these weeks (I get 2 each year) and not have to go as big as a 3 bedroom.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Best and hardest RCI points to find are the regal vista 2 and 4 bedroom, followed by Grandview 1 and 2 bedroom units.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten Woodstone comes in higher than Grandview.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
I would be cautious with that strategy. Not all Vacation Village rooms provide the same point values. For example there are Grandview (which is a VV resort) 2BRs that give you 91,000 points and others that give you 122,000. Both are categorized as red weeks. But, the 122,000 rooms are in demand weeks like Thanksgiving and Xmas/New Years. You will also need to know if the rooms are lockoffs that will allow you to deposit portions (2BR deposit as 2 - 1BR).

Also, you will want to find out if the contract you're buying provides you with the VV bonus weeks. Some contracts don't have the bonus weeks written in and others do (mine does). These bonus weeks allow you to book additional weeks for just the cost of an exchange without using your points. There are 3 types of bonus weeks. They allow you to book rooms 2-45 days ahead, 2-90 days ahead, and 2-180 days ahead which would satisfy one of your requirements. It would also mean you could use these weeks (I get 2 each year) and not have to go as big as a 3 bedroom.

What would we look for in a contract to know if those bonus weeks are included?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Grandview at Las Vegas

Every owner of a Vacation Village property, which Grandview is, gets two weeks a year they can book within 45 days of the check in date with no points needed and an exchange fee that typically runs from $249-$299. Sometimes they run specials on the exchange fee however so that's something to watch for.

Regardless of which week you own the 2021 maintenance fees for a two bedroom are $835 and for a one bedroom $417.50. Divide by two for an every other year ownership and by three for an every third year ownership.

Make very sure that what you're getting is in fact a points week not a fixed week that when deposited for trade gets TPUs, Trading Power Units. Every points week has an underlying week they own.

Weeks - 1-2, 48-50
One Bedroom - 30,500 points
Two Bedroom - 61,000 points

Weeks - 3-8, 46-47
One Bedroom- 40,000 points
Two Bedroom - 80,000 points

Weeks - 9-37, 51
One Bedroom - 49,000 points
Two Bedroom - 98,000 points

Weeks - 38-45, 52
One Bedroom - 61,000 points
Two Bedroom - 122,000 points

I'd estimate two months max. Getting the deed transferred and your RCI points account set up goes fairly quickly. If by some chance the current owner isn't keeping their RCI points account they can transfer the account to you. This is the form on the RCI website you print out, both parties fill out their parts and you submit it. If you're setting up a new RCI points account the cost ($222 but may have changed) includes the first years RCI membership fee. If you already have an RCI points account the fee to add a new deed/contract to your account is $98 unless that's changed. it's been my experience that it usually takes a call to Daily Management to have them transfer it out of the former owners account and move it to your account.

Attachments

• RCI_Pts_Mem_trans_agrmt_1.pdf
    472.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Every owner of a Vacation Village property, which Grandview is, gets two weeks a year they can book within 45 days of the check in date with an exchange fee that typically runs from $249-$299. Sometimes they run specials however so that's something to watch for.

Vacation Village has 3 levels of ownership and it affects your bonus weeks:

Basic - 2-45 days of check in date
Premium - 2-90 days of check in date
Premier - 2-180 days of check in date

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Vacation Village has 3 levels of ownership and it affects your bonus weeks:

Basic - 2-45 days of check in date
Premium - 2-90 days of check in date
Premier - 2-180 days of check in date

I believe you only get the premier levels if you buy developer. I haven't ever heard that it transfers with resale.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe you only get the premier levels if you buy developer. I haven't ever heard that it transfers with resale.
I bought resale and I get a basic bonus week. I thought I only got one, but I can't recall ever using it.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I bought resale and I get a basic bonus week. I thought I only got one, but I can't recall ever using it.

I believe everyone gets two of those Vacation Village Extra Weeks. I wasn't using ours until I finally figured out what I was missing. Since then I've booked some great weeks.

owebeewan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dikhololo
Mount Amanzi
Grandview
Kona
Capital Vacations
Thank you sincerely for your feedback! Due partially to your feedback and thoughts, I turned down the deal, which turned out to be a cost of $6,000 to buy a 3BR week of 53,500 points and annual $934 MF. $300 is the average of the $6,000 over 20 years. I told the final salesman that he is asking me to pay $1,234 annually for 53,500 points, which is 2.3 cents per point. (6000/ 20 + 934)/ 53,500 I think a bit high considering my options.

Instead, this is what I'm considering: Buy a South Africa 1BR week for ~$300 with ~$275 MF and ask that they deposit 29,000 points into RCI instead of the week. This works out to be (300/ 20 + 275) / 29,000 = 1 cent per point. Buy 3 weeks to give me 87,000 points for $870. If I ever want to get rid of the weeks, just stop paying and they go away after 2-3 years. Don't need to worry about creditors.

I just need a really inexpensive way to get a points account somewhere reputable and stable. Ideas?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you sincerely for your feedback! Due partially to your feedback and thoughts, I turned down the deal, which turned out to be a cost of $6,000 to buy a 3BR week of 53,500 points and annual $934 MF. $300 is the average of the $6,000 over 20 years. I told the final salesman that he is asking me to pay $1,234 annually for 53,500 points, which is 2.3 cents per point. (6000/ 20 + 934)/ 53,500 I think a bit high considering my options.

Instead, this is what I'm considering: Buy a South Africa 1BR week for ~$300 with ~$275 MF and ask that they deposit 29,000 points into RCI instead of the week. This works out to be (300/ 20 + 275) / 29,000 = 1 cent per point. Buy 3 weeks to give me 87,000 points for $870. If I ever want to get rid of the weeks, just stop paying and they go away after 2-3 years. Don't need to worry about creditors.

I just need a really inexpensive way to get a points account somewhere reputable and stable. Ideas?
In the marketplace, someone is giving away a 98K Grandview week, which would be more points for less fees.

When you want to get rid of it, you can give it away as well.

owebeewan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dikhololo
Mount Amanzi
Grandview
Kona
Capital Vacations
In the marketplace, someone is giving away a 98K Grandview week, which would be more points for less fees.

When you want to get rid of it, you can give it away as well.
What you are saying is true and I am considering that. However, it's not really what I was asking about. Here is my reasoning:

The Grandview to which you refer is $8.78 per 1,000 points if I include paying ~$500 to win it. My strategy is $10.50 per 1,000 points and so Grandview wins slightly on price per point. However, I am of the opinion that I'll use weeks if I'm planning trips into the future but I'll use points when doing last-minute trips (< 45 days).

Given these beliefs/ values, I don't need 98,000 points per year. I just need something like ~30,000 points per year or so. So let me refine the question:

Where can I acquire a really inexpensive way to get a points account somewhere reputable and stable. Just the account and not a lot of points. Ideas? (I'm wondering out loud if this is something like... Atlantic City in January?)

Last edited: