• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ok have a dillema, let me bounce it off you guys..

arnief

Reaction score
Ok so I am in the process of purchasing resell from a good friend of mine.. I did get notice HGVC waived ROFR, so that is out of the woods but... it is back to the seller to sign and get back to the title company.

I need to reserve for Jan 6th in Las vegas (probably Flamingo, or Karen drive), I don't think that I should take the risk and expect the paper work will be done in time to book this (not even taking into account they may be sold out that late ). I am thinking I may ask the seller to book this for me ( i think they have more points )..

Any thoughts what I should do here?

This was correspondence from title company in regards to this.

"Once I receive the sellers documents I will send the Deed to the title department to have recorded. Once I have confirmation of the recording I can close out the file and send final closing documents to all parties and send the transfer package to the resort. The resort can take 4-6 weeks after they receive the transfer package to transfer the timeshare into your names."

jestme

Reaction score
Where are you buying? If it isn't at the Flamingo or Karen drive, then the person you are buying from would have to pay the Club Season fee and instruct Hilton to leave that reservation alone. Then, those costs should be part of the closing fees, unless you are willing to do that separately, off the books.
Costwise, it will be the same either way if you don't own there. The only question is availability. Usually you can get into somewhere in Vegas in January, unless there is a large show on.

arnief

Reaction score
Usually you can get into somewhere in Vegas in January, unless there is a large show on.

Consumer Electronics Show.. HUGE 170,000 attendees..

Closing costs are done and paid for.. We are really in the final phases of this..

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
AFAIK... As long as HGVC has his name on the account, he can book the stay for you and get a GC in your name. Offer to pay his fees for this on the side.

arnief

Reaction score
AFAIK... As long as HGVC has his name on the account, he can book the stay for you and get a GC in your name. Offer to pay his fees for this on the side.

Yeah but my thought here is, what happens when he books, and then the deed gets transferred to someone else? How would this be handled? What would happen to the reservation? As someone else (technically) has the reservation?

Am I over thinking this?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The booking stands. The account is subject to any bookings or other encumbrances placed on it by the owner prior to transfer. He could even mortgage it for a new yacht, sail away, and your only recourse would be a claim him (or title insurance, if any). But you can call HGVC to verify.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Have you checked the rates on Hilton.com? :confused:
You could always book a cancelable reservation as a backup just in case the booked reservation disappears with the transfer. :crash:

I attended the ASD convention which is also a huge event and the rates on Hilton.com were the same or better than the Open season rates. We ended up keeping the hotel booking and luckily we also had an RCI exchange too for our two rooms.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Reserving a back-up cancelable unit thru hilton.com was reportedly suggested by a HGVC rep for a poster who was worried that Open-Season wasn't going to work. And yes, sometimes a 'hotel' booking can be cheaper than O-S.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree this is the best way. I have done a GC several times for other people and once it is in the GC name, that person owns it. Call HGVC and ask to make sure and if you want, also call Flamingo front desk to double check, but you should be good to go.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is a GC? Guest certificate?

Yes. I'd call after the transfer goes through to make sure the reservation and GC are still in your name. I am sure they will be, but always good to double check.

Ericksar

TUG Member
Reaction score
CES 2016 - Suggestions

I booked two (2) one bedroom units through RCI at the Convention Center Hilton for CES week January 3-10, 2016. These are the best location as you can fall out of bed into the show. No buses. Now I only need one of the suites.
This is the biggest show in Vegas, 170,000 people. The Hilton is completely sold out and Wynn has a few rooms at $3,800 a night!!!
I have never made a penny on my timeshares, what are my options and what is the best way to try and profit from my situation. I know I can give it back, what about selling/transferring it to a friend, what can be done? Are there rental sites where I can post its availability, is that permitted, etc. I need to know the good and bad about my situation.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked two (2) one bedroom units through RCI at the Convention Center Hilton for CES week January 3-10, 2016. These are the best location as you can fall out of bed into the show. No buses. Now I only need one of the suites.
This is the biggest show in Vegas, 170,000 people. The Hilton is completely sold out and Wynn has a few rooms at $3,800 a night!!!
I have never made a penny on my timeshares, what are my options and what is the best way to try and profit from my situation. I know I can give it back, what about selling/transferring it to a friend, what can be done? Are there rental sites where I can post its availability, is that permitted, etc. I need to know the good and bad about my situation.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
It is against rci rules to rent a reservation made through them. So there is no legal way to make money on those reservations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never made a penny on my timeshares, what are my options and what is the best way to try and profit from my situation. I know I can give it back, what about selling/transferring it to a friend, what can be done?

You can buy guest certificates for friends to use, but you cannot ask for money above the cost of the exchange. If you do, keep it on the down low and don't publicly advertise anywhere.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can buy guest certificates for friends to use, but you cannot ask for money above the cost of the exchange. If you do, keep it on the down low and don't publicly advertise anywhere.

My understanding of the rules was that you technically can't even ask for cost of exchange, GC, or MF.

Ericksar

TUG Member
Reaction score
PigsDad was right. The TS police will be after me now.

I have always played by the rules of the game, even when they seem unfair.
We learn from our experiences on how we want to proceed in the future.