• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Officially part of the HGVC family

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Well, I received my statement welcoming me to HGVC and was able to set up our online account.

For reference here was the timeline:

Offer accepted: May 21
Contracts signed: May 22-25
Contract send to closing agent: May 26
ROFR submitted: May 27
ROFR waived: June 3
Deed recorded: June 29
Transfer package sent to HGVC: June 30
HGVC sent statement: July 9
Statement received: July 29 (I guess the Canadian government is putting mail in quarantine too ;)).

I have probably seen this somewhere, but the full 7000 points for 2020 are available. What is the deadline to save these? Dec. 31?

For those who haven’t seen the ROFR thread, I purchased this for $1500 by responding to a RedWeek full service as. The broker was very responsive and the transaction was smooth. I’m a happy camper.

thanks to all those in this forum - I’ve learned so much about the system here and it gave me the confidence to make the leap. Now to learn a new booking website!

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Congratulations.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. What's your home resort?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Excellent! ... and Congrats.

2020 points not used or saved (banked) by Midnight, 12/31, will go poof.
But you can use 'em to make an RCI booking for a future year w/o saving.
Note: It may take another week for your RCI portal to be active.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome to the club. What's your home resort?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
We’re at the LV Blvd location. 2BR plat.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Excellent! ... and Congrats.

2020 points not used or saved by Midnight, 12/31, will go poof.
But you can use 'em to make an RCI booking for a future year w/o saving.
Note: It may take another week for your RCI portal to be active.

Thanks. I’m thinking of a Hawaii trip next summer so I may try saving points to next year (I’ll combine with a Vistana week on Maui). I know it will be tough with all the points out there next year but excited to try it out.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I have probably seen this somewhere, but the full 7000 points for 2020 are available. What is the deadline to save these? Dec. 31?
You are correct that the deadline is Dec 31, but don't wait 'till the last minute. HGV has a reputation of their phone lines being extremely busy the last couple weeks of December and the web site often has issues as well due to everyone trying to perform transactions before the new year.

Kurt

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are correct that the deadline is Dec 31, but don't wait 'till the last minute. HGV has a reputation of their phone lines being extremely busy the last couple weeks of December and the web site often has issues as well due to everyone trying to perform transactions before the new year.

Kurt
Thanks for the tip. In Vistana I have to bank in Oct - but usually I have the year planned out by March and will bank as soon as I can.

If I save points to next year can I change my mind and use some for this year? My only hesitation in saving now is we may want to spend 3-4 days in Vegas after Christmas in California with my in-laws (I’ll need it :cool:).

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If I save points to next year can I change my mind and use some for this year? My only hesitation in saving now is we may want to spend 3-4 days in Vegas after Christmas in California with my in-laws (I’ll need it :cool:).
Yes! When you save your points to the next year, those points are put in a special "saved" bucket. You can always borrow points from next year for this year's bookings, and, for example, the system will borrow from the "saved" 2021 bucket before the regular 2021 point bucket for a 2020 reservation. There really is no downside to saving your points to next year, except the transaction fee, of course. :)

Kurt

BA21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Key West, WKV
HGVC Flamingo
No rush to save your 2020 points as you can make the transaction online with a Dec 31 deadline. Current listed price to bank is $109. There was an early option that expired March 31 to bank any unused points for $85. The points are banked immediately, but there is no charge to use the banked points this year. You can also borrow next year's points at no charge for a current year reservation.

HGVC has been very generous with the COVID cancelation policy waiving all cancelation fees and returning cancelled reservation points to your account. There was a time into June that they refunded the reservation fees as well and allowed no reservation fee for new bookings. HGVC has not yet decided if they are going to waive the fee to save 2020 points. I'm holding out to bank my points, hoping to do so for free.

Congratulations on a great deal.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Congrats and welcome to the club. As BA21 said, don’t be in a hurry to save the points, HGV has not decided yet what they will offer us for save options. In the past there has been a fee discount in October to save early.

I always preach borrowing vs saving. Saving costs $$ vs borrowing for free. You can make a summer 2021 reservation with 2021 points and 2022 points shortly. You may see something this year to use your 2020 points.

Right now the 9 month club season window is out near the end of April. I am looking at booking a May 21 trip to Hawaii shortly. Look around in the online system and get familiar with booking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
We’re at the LV Blvd location. 2BR plat.

I’m still bitter you jumped on that listing before I did. Nice grab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Welcome to our little HGVC corner. Now for your tribute: we would like you to add your purchase to rofr.net, if you haven’t already.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome to our little HGVC corner. Now for your tribute: we would like you to add your purchase to rofr.net, if you haven’t already.
Yep. Already done - put it in shortly after getting the ROFR result. Closing company included the closing costs in the ROFR submission so I entered the amount that was actually submitted for ROFR.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Congratulations and welcome!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Thanks. I’m thinking of a Hawaii trip next summer so I may try saving points to next year (I’ll combine with a Vistana week on Maui). I know it will be tough with all the points out there next year but excited to try it out.

If you are wanting the Big Island HGVC is pretty wide open most of the time with at least something to book unless it is a holiday week. Oahu is the one with cheap inventory gone (Lagoon and Kalia), and expensive inventory available (Grand Waikikian and Grand Islander).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are wanting the Big Island HGVC is pretty wide open most of the time with at least something to book unless it is a holiday week. Oahu is the one with cheap inventory gone (Lagoon and Kalia), and expensive inventory available (Grand Waikikian and Grand Islander).
Good to know. We did a hotel stay at HHV a couple years ago when I was there for a conference. We liked Oahu but I do want to try out BI. I figure I will pair my Vistana Maui with HGVC BI or Vistana on Kauai with HHV on Oahu.

Is it worth the premium for the higher point rooms? I have so many points in Vistana to burn up that I’m becoming less frugal with points bookings!

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
Welcome and enjoy! We love our HGVC ownership (even though developer). Very flexible and great resorts ! Outside of HI we love the Elara the most, but since we own BI Ocean Tower we use open season for that spot.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Is it worth the premium for the higher point rooms? I have so many points in Vistana to burn up that I’m becoming less frugal with points bookings!

I have stayed at Grand Waikikian (GW) and while the room was nice, that building is farther from the ocean. Lagoon Tower (LT) is my personal favorite and would be my choice if I could get a unit there. It is right next to the Lagoon, and has the best views, every unit has some beach view, even if only a side view from the balcony, but you can see the ocean from every room. GW and GI have rooms that you have NO view of the ocean and only have city views. Not what I want.
If I had points to spare or wanted to try Grand Islander (GI) than I might go that avenue, at least one. But I do try to optimize my points and GI, GW are at least 50% more for the same rooms as the LT version of the room.

On Big Island Kings' Land (Phase 1) and Ocean Tower have higher point rooms. Bay Club, Kohala only have standard point rooms. Kings' Land does have standard point rooms in Phases 2 & 3. If staying on BI I either prefer Bay Club for a bigger room and Lanai, or Kings' Land. I have yet to stay at Ocean Tower, it was not yet open when I was last there 2 years ago. I had points to use in 2018 so I stayed in KL Phase 1.