• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Offer @ Ridge Tahoe

buzzyng

Reaction score
I have owned at the Ridge for 14 years and was a little concerned when I heard that HICV bought them but was also a little excited as I have wanted to get into a points system that is more flexible. Last week sat through the sales pitch to see what the offer was going to be

Basically, getting 330k points for my two weeks and Platinum status with a minimum buy of 30k points (mentioned something about Land Trust). So it would be $7100 + closing costs to get 360k total points. Just the actual cost is about .24/pt. They did not push to get me to the 500k status level nor the Signature.

I inquired about Signature and was told 50k point purchase @ .42 = $21k. Now I saw that one person on here got a great deal paying $12k to get Signature and converting his resales to get status so appears they can do it.

I don't have the flexibility of just booking a vacation 60 days out so the free 7 days each year isn't something I can probably use although a nice feature if it works.

I looked for some resale units @ Smokey Mtn since those xfer points but they $8-15k that were in the 107k pt range. I could get another Tahoe resale essentially for free and that would give me about 490k points and then buy the 30k pts regular or 50k sig and then I'm over 500k and status seems a better route to get into HICV with a big bucket of points that would cost me $7k min. Am I looking at this right?

Besides the person that got Signature for about .27/pt, anyone else getting that low and are the rooms truly that much nicer?

Appreciate any insight

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I have owned at the Ridge for 14 years and was a little concerned when I heard that HICV bought them but was also a little excited as I have wanted to get into a points system that is more flexible. Last week sat through the sales pitch to see what the offer was going to be

Basically, getting 330k points for my two weeks and Platinum status with a minimum buy of 30k points (mentioned something about Land Trust). So it would be $7100 + closing costs to get 360k total points. Just the actual cost is about .24/pt. They did not push to get me to the 500k status level nor the Signature.

I inquired about Signature and was told 50k point purchase @ .42 = $21k. Now I saw that one person on here got a great deal paying $12k to get Signature and converting his resales to get status so appears they can do it.

I don't have the flexibility of just booking a vacation 60 days out so the free 7 days each year isn't something I can probably use although a nice feature if it works.

I looked for some resale units @ Smokey Mtn since those xfer points but they $8-15k that were in the 107k pt range. I could get another Tahoe resale essentially for free and that would give me about 490k points and then buy the 30k pts regular or 50k sig and then I'm over 500k and status seems a better route to get into HICV with a big bucket of points that would cost me $7k min. Am I looking at this right?

Besides the person that got Signature for about .27/pt, anyone else getting that low and are the rooms truly that much nicer?

Appreciate any insight

Sounds like a decent deal for the low amount of 30k points. I have seen regular points in the 12-18 cent range and 32-48 cents in signature. The person that did the $12k conversion was probably Scott and he did it before they did a change where now it costs a lot more.

I would check if they are crediting you to take over your two deeds, and then selling you trust points. If this is the case, you would need to make sure that giving up your deeds is something that you want. I am not familiar with overall resale value of your resort, but trust points are very restrictive in the resale market and so far there has not been a lot of resales, but it appears that those restrictions will limit the value if you ever want to sell. Also, if they are selling you all trust points, then compare you current maintenance fees with the trust points fees.

I am not sure if you add another deed if they will make a similar offer. Usually when they take over a property, they make an initial offers to current owners, and any new resale registered deed (after their acquisition) are not offers same deal and would pay regular convertion... But you can ask, twice to make sure, or in writing.

I have not seen the point chart for your resort but it would be interesting to see the actual point value for your deeds.

HICV is a great club and very flexible, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
By the way, signature units are very nice, and some come with perks (signature check in desk, exclusive areas in the resorts, free drinks and amenities). With 500k points (50k could be signature) you also open access to RCI the registry. However, units cost a lot of points and most regular units are very nice too. So in my case, I only use signature at river island when I need a 3 bedroom, and 2-3 night stays at other resorts on low seasons. I do not own signature points, but I have never had issues booking at 60 days out.

Also consider the signature maintenance fees, wich are higher.

buzzyng

Reaction score
Thanks for quick response. They told me that I would keep my deed but give me the 330k points. I honestly didn't write everything down but the rep did say about keeping the deeds.

The points for here they showed me was ~165k for each of my weeks but did not show it broken down by time of year. He kept stressing that I could book the lock off side and then get the free upgrade to the full unit. So instead of using 165k points for the whole thing, I could get it for approx 40k. If that actually is valid then a heck of deal.

I did not realize about Sig MF being higher but very good to know and maybe persuade me not to go that route.

I will call them back and see if they would allow me convert another Ridge Tahoe resale to be included in the deal. I really don't need the points now but seems the cheapest way to get more points if they would allow now vs having to pay more later.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for quick response. They told me that I would keep my deed but give me the 330k points. I honestly didn't write everything down but the rep did say about keeping the deeds.

The points for here they showed me was ~165k for each of my weeks but did not show it broken down by time of year. He kept stressing that I could book the lock off side and then get the free upgrade to the full unit. So instead of using 165k points for the whole thing, I could get it for approx 40k. If that actually is valid then a heck of deal.

I did not realize about Sig MF being higher but very good to know and maybe persuade me not to go that route.

I will call them back and see if they would allow me convert another Ridge Tahoe resale to be included in the deal. I really don't need the points now but seems the cheapest way to get more points if they would allow now vs having to pay more later.

BE SURE TO GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING........

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
He kept stressing that I could book the lock off side and then get the free upgrade to the full unit. So instead of using 165k points for the whole thing, I could get it for approx 40k. If that actually is valid then a heck of deal.

This does not sound right. If you could book one of the lockoff sides, it would have to be in the home access period (13 month - 36 month out) I would think, wich is prior to receiving points. Under resort access you would have to book 7 night from 10-13 month out, however, here you would be using points that are already assigned... I am not sure about this. Hopefully someone with a similar unit can comment. But definitely get this part right in case is does work.

The Canyon lake property has lockoff units, however, in the HICV system they are not available to book as a 1b and studio, only as a 2b lock-off. I wonder if a canyon lake owners books the studio side during home access, and then gets full points on January 1st...

Not sure, bet let us know for sure.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Make sure the MF’s stay the same for those 2 weeks.
when silverleaf joined , if they converted To points when the Bill came to pay for the next year they found them double what they where paying.
that’s not a bad deal to join the club if MF’s are the same.
Welcome to the family

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
BUzzyNG....what did you find out? I am curious, as my family is considering giving me their week, so I would have two weeks Cascade 2br.
I am a fixed owner at the ridge. I am currently here and did the presentation today. They gave me cost of 40K points for$10,000 and convert my Cascade 2br to 161,000 points. Total MF$1734. Current MF ~$1260

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score

BUzzyNG....what did you find out? I am curious, as my family is considering giving me their week, so I would have two weeks Cascade 2br.
I am a fixed owner at the ridge. I am currently here and did the presentation today. They gave me cost of 40K points for$10,000 and convert my Cascade 2br to 161,000 points. Total MF$1734. Current MF ~$1260

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg

you would want to convert both at the same time
They will sock it to you to bring the 2nd one in later unless you get it in writing that they would do it
Not verbally

Dave

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
you would want to convert both at the same time
They will sock it to you to bring the 2nd one in later unless you get it in writing that they would do it
Not verbally

Dave
Thanks Dave!
Do you know what is the lowest buy-in they will do? I am trying to figure that out with cost versus buying secondary market; however, to exchange my deeded weeks to points I think I have to buy points from them. It is so confusing and I do not want to spend more than necessary.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
Thanks Dave!
Do you know what is the lowest buy-in they will do? I am trying to figure that out with cost versus buying secondary market; however, to exchange my deeded weeks to points I think I have to buy points from them. It is so confusing and I do not want to spend more than necessary.

No it’s a crap shoot. It’s a wheel and deal atmosphere. 300,000 PT’s is a magic number getting any real benefit.
Example is a 2 bedroom at orange lake is 166,000 points for $1100 MF’s so $1700 MF’s sound high, but it’s a few more points.
it’s new in our system so not much info on the convert experience.
you can transfer this to your direct family in the future keeping your status you bought , but if you try to sell to anyone else later it won’t have much value reverting back to a week again Probably a buck.
Dave

Last edited:

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it’s a crap shoot. It’s a wheel and deal atmosphere. 300,000 PT’s is a magic number getting any real benefit.
Example is a 2 bedroom at orange lake is 166,000 points for $1100 MF’s so $1700 MF’s sound high, but it’s a few more points.
it’s new in our system so not much info on the convert experience.
you can transfer this to your direct family in the future keeping your status you bought , but if you try to sell to anyone else later it won’t have much value reverting back to a week again Probably a buck.
Dave
Yeah, I was wondering because when I went to the sales pitch this week at the Ridge Tahoe (newly acquired) they said I could not do something with my week (not sure what she was referring to). They said my 2bd lock-off would transfer to 161,000 points if I purchased 40,000 points for $10,000. I bought resale, so this is how they said I would have to transfer to pionts.
My family bought full price years ago when the building was being built. I just wonder what kind of deal they get not being "resale" or if it is complete BS sales pitch.
I will ask them this weekend what they were offered because they did the pitch (after being misled it was the owner update meeting).

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
They probably won’t get any better deal than you. I wish when they take over a property they would take your week offer it up in points to join the HICV family. Only one they did this to was Las Vegas for a $100 they had a window to join. Silverleaf units are really getting hosed.
good luck

Dave

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own at Ridge Tahoe and am not interested in having any points in HICV but just to continue to use Ridge Tahoe. Can anyone speak to how HICV treats deeded owners going forward? Will I still be able to make reservations as before? Will the resort still offer the good deals of Bonus Time?

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I also own at Ridge Tahoe and am not interested in having any points in HICV but just to continue to use Ridge Tahoe. Can anyone speak to how HICV treats deeded owners going forward? Will I still be able to make reservations as before? Will the resort still offer the good deals of Bonus Time?
Deeded owners are usually treated worse then points owners since they wont give HICV anymore money. Not sure about the reservation window and Bonus Time. Most likely availability will start to dwindle when people start converting to points and their units get put into the points pool and not the fixed week trades.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

I own both, points contracts and a float deeded contract. Fixed week/float week owners have a special phone line to make reservations and exchange deposits. I have had no problems booking any of my float weeks. Most of the original benefits are available on my resort, like splitting a week into two reservations, etc.

You are very likely to continue to receive most of your current benefits until they take over the board and are able to make significant changes. If bonus time is some program outside of the governing documents, that can be canceled at any time, even for people that did not convert.

The more complicated your current system is, the more it could be of issue to everyone in regard to availability for the best weeks. If you have a fixed deeded week, you will be able to book your deeded week and unit with no issue without converting. However, on float units, there could be the potential for availability issues, specially if HICV has a different inventory of units from the ones that did not convert.

I am not familiar with your resort, but I remember someone that was always able to book Prime week 2 years in advance and deposit into II, and this year he was not given the type of unit to get the best trading power he was used to, so definitely get together and see how these changes are affecting you.

BTW, even if you convert to HICV, you still have all your current benefits from 13-36 month out, and have resort access (only competing with other resort owners) from 10-13 month out. So if you can get a good deal into the club and keep your deed, it could be good options to have. The HICV program is great, but you have to like the locations, and we lack west coast locations.

Good luck!

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told at the Ridge 25% are fixed weeks and the rest are point owners. I am not sure how accurate this is, as it was told to me by the sales lady. Also, she said as more points owners book, it will be more difficult to get reservations for fixed weeks. (BS in my opinion, but possible due to the flexibility to with points and not requiring a full week.)

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought this floating EOY timeshare some years back for the terrific Bonus Time program only.

It has served my family well over the years. As long as we don't want holiday weekends, we almost always find one of the Ridge properties for a weekend on Bonus Time, since we live close by and we are weekend skiers.

We've never cared which property we got, since being avid skiers, we are out of the timeshare all day, come home exhausted, soak in the hot tub and go to bed early, ready to do it again the next day. This winter will be my test case. We need reservations just to get on the ski hill at Heavenly and then corresponding Bonus Time reservations. This might be too much for me to manage! I hope we can keep up our weekend deals with the Ridge properties.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
Can someone tell me what the difference between the buildings at the Ridge Tahoe are? I see on the points chart you have a choice between ridge point, naegle, cascade plaza, terrace tower, cascade emerald, and tower penthouse.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a copy of their resort map:

There are seven buildings on the main campus and three other stand-alone buildings a short drive away. The ones that are not part of the main campus are the Ridge Pointe, Ridge Crest and Ridge View. I haven't seen the points chart, but I'm sure they are cheaper, just because they are further away. But note, all the buildings have access to all the shared amenities at the Clubhouse and on property.

In terms of desirability, many people find the Naegle and Tower buildings the best because they are closest to the Clubhouse and all the onsite amenities. The other good thing about Tower and Naegle buildings is that they are on the hilltop, so the ground is flat there. Cascade, Plaza and Terrace are on a steep hill.

In terms of unit size, the Naegle units are all dedicated two-bedroom units and they are some of the largest on property. The three Naegle buildings only have two-bedroom units (sleeps 6), and very large decks with a barbeque on them. Lovely in the summer, but useless in the winter, because they don't shovel them.

The Plaza and the Terrace units are almost identical in layout. Those buildings are two-bedroom lockouts. Plaza has in-unit laundry and Terrace does not.
Both of these two-bedrooms sleep 6. Plaza has no balconies and I think Terrace has a tiny one.

Cascade units are a bit larger than Plaza and Tower. The units are all two-bedroom lockouts and each unit sleeps 8.

I have never stayed in the Tower building, so can't speak to their units.

The Ridge Pointe is one mile away from the main campus. Those units are all two-bedroom lockouts that sleep 8. They have an interior mudroom that contains the laundry and then a separate door to the one-bedroom and the studio. So here the studio has laundry.

Some of the buildings have been more recently upgraded and because of that, higher point values.

As an avid skier, I'd take any unit there because I'm more interested in the super close access to Heavenly's Stagecoach lift. But if the unit interior and kitchen upgrades are important to you, find out which building was recently remodeled.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
Thank you jlp879 for all that awesome info. I would be traveling with kiddos so what is the pool/hot tub situation at each building?

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each of the Ridge property buildings has their own (fairly small) hot tub on the roof of that building.

Also, on each of the main pool decks, Knoll and Clubhouse, there are larger hot tubs. The Knoll pool is summer use only. The Clubhouse pool is an indoor/outdoor pool. The indoor portion is small, has no usable deck and is always humid and steamy. You have to swim underneath a plastic partition to the get to the larger, and much nicer, outdoor area. This pool is always busy in the winter and full of kids in the afternoon, especially right after the lifts close. Bring a ball to toss, as it's a very lively scene and your kids will be sure to pick up mates. Forget relaxing in this area's hot tub, it will be overun with kids. If you think you want a relaxing or romantic hot tub soak, you'll have to choose a dinner time soak or come just before the pool closes for the evening.

buzzyng

Reaction score
A bit late responding :-0 Sorry, some health stuff popped up and have been off for about 18mo. The manager(?) didn't want to discuss remotely after we got home and since I wasn't in a rush, we said we would just touch base the following year (2021) but given the health, didn't make it. The MF were going up significantly and was one to main factors of not pursuing while we were there. We just got back from there but didn't even bother to sit in the presentation as I just got two new vehicles and no extra $$. Did you ever pull the trigger or just keep as is. We are booked for 23 and 24 so will see what they offer next year but I know it's not going to be cheaper than what they offered 2 years ago.

Herbalwise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tahoe Ridge, NV near South Lake Tahoe
Watch out converting from traditional week to points: I've "owned" points at the Tahoe Ridge (formerly Ridge Tahoe) for 10 years and have seen my MF go up twice and the points required to rent a 1 bd go up by 50% over that time. So instead of getting the 3 weeks I purchased, I can now only get two weeks! DO NOT convert your standard week's ownership to points! If you own a week, you have a deed for actual real estate. Points owners have nothing more than a "membership" in a club and HICV can you what they want with fees etc., as it's not in the contract, I read it. If it's not written down, it means nothing, no matter what they tell you. I can now rent a week on the open market cheaper than the maintenance fees I pay on the same week.