• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Off to New Orleans

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
On our tour, our guide showed us how the houses were built on an angle to the street so the shotgun houses get a breeze coming off the river. I would have never noticed, if she hadn't brought it up.

I just love all the old buildings, My wife was a little disappointed with our unit until she started going around the city. Now she likes the character of the place.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Jeff, it has been on 'the edge' for most of 100-150 years. The Old Quarter is actual built on the HIGHEST GROUND ... less flooding. Plus there are many brick building but the WOOD building burn FAST and HOT.

Having live near Philadelphia for years ... Ben Franklin (and his public fire department) required joined housing (rowhomes) be built with all brick or stone exterior.

The 1700's rowhouses are not perfect .. seems the wood floor joists do ROT and the row house falls into the basement (bad roof, abandon home, prior interior fire). Plus the taxes in Colonial Philadelphia was based on the width of the house ... narrow lot row homes on 3 floor plus a basement.

And most of the Old Quarter in NOLA is brick housing .. for the same reason. And had outdoor kitchens not attached during the living part of those homes.

There's another reason N.O. is on the edge of destruction. Well, maybe not destruction but economic irrelevance. The Atchafalaya River takes about 1/3 of the flow of the Mississippi at a location very close to that spur in the extreme western part of the state of Mississippi. It is easily seen on Google Maps.

Left to itself, the Mississippi River would abandon its current course and take the shorter, steeper path down the Atchafalaya basin to the Gulf of Mexico through Morgan City, LA. Sooner or later, it will happen. It almost happened in 1973. The US Army Corps of Engineers has been fighting the battle to keep the Mississippi in its current course. Someday, it will lose.

When it happens, what is now the Mississippi River at New Orleans will become a salt marsh -- the Port of New Orleans will cease to exist. The economic impact on the many chemical plants and petroleum refineries along the Mississippi between Baton Rouge and N.O. and the entire US economy will be devastating.

Do a Google search for "old river control" if you are interested.

Linden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Club Wyndham Access, Quarter House New Orleans
Sumday vacations has Maison Pierre Lafitte forsale with a $250.00 incentive.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Wow, another busy day. Went to the WW2 museum and it was great. We went and saw the movie that Tom Hanks made it was great and in 4d. We got snowed on during the Battle of the Bulge.
IMG_20170821_132154.jpg
IMG_20170821_123236.jpg

We made it back to Jackson Square too and today it wasn't locked up so we got a closer picture of the statue.
IMG_20170821_162137.jpg

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was cooler today too so we even took a selfie.
IMG_20170821_162219.jpg

We ended out eating at the Market Cafe an listed to some jazz for a while. With all the characters we've seen, we can imagine what it's like during Mardi Gras. :)

Tomorrow night we have the haunted tour and DW wants to go to the French Market before that.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Who is the statue? [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who is the statue?
It is Andrew Jackson, seventh president and the hero of the battle of New Orleans.

I learned something on our city tour. On a statue with a horse, if the front holves are up the rider went on to greater things. In this instance, he became president. There were other meanings too if both holves are down and if a right or left one is raised.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
That's fascinating! Love the history behind the statues.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Jeff

I'd be interested in what you think of the haunted tour afterwards. Stop by Central Grocery for another muffaletta and be sure to dine at Mother's. Interestingly enough most all the iron architectural features of the city are due to when Spain controlled NO for a while.

Greg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff

I'd be interested in what you think of the haunted tour afterwards. Stop by Central Grocery for another muffaletta and be sure to dine at Mother's. Interestingly enough most all the iron architectural features of the city are due to when Spain controlled NO for a while.

Greg

Yep, we went there today and got another one today. :)
We even bought a jar of the olive salad to bring home.

Haven't dined at mother's yet but we have two days left. No and except for doing some laundry.

The haunted tour was great. We got a really good, loud and animated guide. It was two hours and he said we walked 1.1 miles with plenty of stories along the way. We stopped at Jean Lafitte House for a 15 minute drink break. We even stopped at the house Nicholas Cage bought and lost because of his financial problems.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We went to the old mint across from the French Market. They had a lot of jazz stuff in there and at 2pm they had a jazz band in there and most of the members worked for the Forest Service. They had their uniforms on and they were really good. They played for an hour. Here's some pictures from the mint. They had Luis Armstrong's first horn in there.
IMG_20170822_132801.jpg
IMG_20170822_132806.jpg
IMG_20170822_125055.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's some pictures from the haunted tour. The table is set every night for the ghost that lives there. The one picture is our guide with my wife and the house had a guy commit suicide there.
FB_IMG_1503463075877.jpg
FB_IMG_1503463049687.jpg
FB_IMG_1503463341069.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the one that Nicholas Cage owned. It was owned by a slave owner that tortured her slaves.
FB_IMG_1503463427521.jpg

taffy19

Reaction score
Thanks for your pictures and updates. Very nice. A week goes too fast when there is so much to see and do.

What about the Jazz?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, great jazz everywhere. We had great live music playing in most of the places we ate.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMG_20170823_134058.jpg
Had a Ferdi's special for lunch at Mother's. Plus turnip greens and Baked Spaghetti.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Had to stop at Pat O'Brien's and have the original Hurricane too.
IMG_20170823_154134.jpg

Got this 50¢ piece at an antique store. It was struck in the old New Orleans mint that we toured. 1908, Theodore Roosevelt was still President.
IMG_20170823_172015.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Would love to hear it.

I did most of my recording of them on Facebook Live, I haven't figured out how to get them off there. I hope this one link works.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
So, how was the timeshare?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would stay here again. The people who have this one also manage the Jean Lafitte House. That one has a pool but it's only 12 units. Only complaint would be no laundry facilities but we found a laundromat and did our laundry today. It's nice to go home with mostly clean cloths. Being right on Canal Street is really nice.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks for the virual tour, it's almost as good as being there!

taffy19

Reaction score
I did most of my recording of them on Facebook Live, I haven't figured out how to get them off there. I hope this one link works.
Not for me but I no longer use Facebook. Too much awful stuff.