• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Off to Acadia Village for a week - anyone need any info on the area or the resort ?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have fun. Friends are there right now. Nice time to travel.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have any information about the resort, except that it's in a commercial area in Ellsworth.
What other questions do you have? I would recommend checking out this Facebook group for hiking and other recommendations for things to do within Acadia.

Other recommendations:
--Avoid the Jordan Pond House. The popovers are better at the Asticou Inn (they inherited the original popover ovens when the Pond House burnt down in the late 70s/early 80s.) Definitely walk around the pond, though!

--Try to get to the Quietside of the island

--Sunset at Seafood Ketch in Bass Harbor is don't miss. :)

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Enjoy it! We had to exchange our week this year, due to heading to Myrtle Beach. I will really miss it...such a comfortable place to stay. Envious of you!

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tony: I've reserved a two bedroom at Acadia during the second week of October. I'd appreciate suggestions as to what unit to request. Thank you

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
--Avoid the Jordan Pond House. The popovers are better at the Asticou Inn (they inherited the original popover ovens
We agree on many things :) but I have to disagree with you and others about this, especially if you're in the park every day. Yes the popovers at Asticou Inn are wonderful also. But the setting at Jordan Pond House outdoor seating area is so gorgeous, and to my knowledge only Jordan Pond makes those delicious popover ice cream sundaes, and who can't eat (lobster and) popovers every day for one week when in Maine? Not either/or, it's both/and. :ROFLMAO:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I also have the view of most of the islanders that are resentful of the sweetheart deal that Dreamland, LLC--a company "from away"--got in the bidding process that ousted the long-time (60+ years), locally-owned concessionaire, The Acadia Corp (which still runs some gift shops on the island.) I think a lot of islanders are just waiting for that contract to run its course before going back to Jordan Pond House. My mother tried going once, and declared the food not nearly as good (*and* they no longer do the unlimited popovers at dinner, which, honestly, was the main draw, LOL!)

I agree, the view is gorgeous. That's why I say definitely do the path that goes around the lake. You can always take your own picnic and eat on the same lawn, if you can stand the bees--*and* if you can find a parking place. :)

And, for the record, I really like the ocean view off the porch of the Asticou as well. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I would love your take on the resort. Our daughter-in-law really wants to go to Maine, and Samoset seems a bit off of the beaten path for her taste.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just back

Due to severe crowding at Cadillac mountain, you must make a timed online reservation for $6 to drive up to Cadillac mountain. We had no problem getting the reservation for the next day ( all times open) but I understand that other times of the year the reservations can be hard to get.

Note that there are many YouTube videos which show extreme hikes in Acadia but there are hundreds of miles of family friendly hiking trails in the park.

While there we found the most expensive fast food restaurant ever. $90 for two sandwiches Beals in SouthHarbor Good lobster roll but $90 for two seems really high when you must order at the front counter, sit on a picnic bench, get your own water and bus your own table.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Beals Lobster Pier is not where I would go. The best lobster is the one you make in your timeshare unit; get the lobbies themselves at any of the local lobster pounds. :) We like the Travelin' Lobster (we also tend to get them from a local right off the boat, too, if the boat's out that day.)

Charlotte's, near Seawall, is also very popular.

One of my favorite restaurants on the island isn't a seafood joint---It's XYZ, also on the Quietside.

The Facebook group that I linked to earlier has great photos and recommendations of hikes/walks all over the island. There's also protected places on the island that aren't national park that are also worth exploring--there's a Nature Conservancy reserve and multiple spots owned by Maine Coast Heritage Trust.

tonygraz@iwon.com

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Tony: I've reserved a two bedroom at Acadia during the second week of October. I'd appreciate suggestions as to what unit to request. Thank you
There are 3 sections to the resort, townhouses, villas and the manor house. The townhouses are 2br two story units with a king br and 2twin br.. the villas are single floor lockoffs(2/8),and the manor house has 3 3br lockoffs on each floor. The units of each type are all just about the same, so unless you want to be closer to the clubhouse there's not much of a choice. The manor house can be a bit noisy , so my choice there would be the 3rd floor or 73A. If you don't want stairs go for a villa or the manor house 71A. There are outside stairs to get to villa unit 57. The 2br villa lockoffs have 2 kitchens, one w/o a dishwasher and a full size washer and dryer. Villas 61 and 62 are handicap accessible.

tonygraz@iwon.com

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Just back

Due to severe crowding at Cadillac mountain, you must make a timed online reservation for $6 to drive up to Cadillac mountain. We had no problem getting the reservation for the next day ( all times open) but I understand that other times of the year the reservations can be hard to get.

Note that there are many YouTube videos which show extreme hikes in Acadia but there are hundreds of miles of family friendly hiking trails in the park.

While there we found the most expensive fast food restaurant ever. $90 for two sandwiches Beals in SouthHarbor Good lobster roll but $90 for two seems really high when you must order at the front counter, sit on a picnic bench, get your own water and bus your own table.
The reservations for the Cadillac Summit road are required through October 19 available online and in advance. You will also need to have a park entrance pass. For info on the pass call 207-288-3338.

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Tony
Is AC in all the units?

tonygraz@iwon.com

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
There are 3 sections to the resort, townhouses, villas and the manor house. The townhouses are 2br two story units with a king br and 2twin br.. the villas are single floor lockoffs(2/8),and the manor house has 3 3br lockoffs on each floor. The units of each type are all just about the same, so unless you want to be closer to the clubhouse there's not much of a choice. The manor house can be a bit noisy , so my choice there would be the 3rd floor or 73A. If you don't want stairs go for a villa or the manor house 71A. There are outside stairs to get to villa unit 57. The 2br villa lockoffs have 2 kitchens, one w/o a dishwasher and a full size washer and dryer. Villas 61 and 62 are handicap accessible.
There are also outside stairs to enter 58. The 30s also have 3/4 stairs on the walkway to the units because of some landscaping done several years ago.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
@tonygraz@iwon.com and others:

For our trip in the first week of October, we booked a villa, that is a single story duplex unit that can be used as a two bedroom, and sleeps 8. I understand that Villages 61 and 62 are handicap accessible but fortunately that is not a concern at this time.
Is there a particular Villa or area that you recommend we request in terms of being quiet or having a good view.
Also, even though Villas 57 and 58 have outdoor stairs, is their any advantage in staying there.
Thanks for your advice

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
51-56 have a view of the wetland from the front side and the backside looks on the rear area of the other villas. The 57-60 villas view is of the grassland with the Hampton Inn in the background. The 61-62 handicapped villas are to the right of the Manor House toward the Villas (not visible or non existent in the photo linked below). Unit 57 is above the resort laundry, so there may be a noise problem there during the day. All the villas are in two unit buildings - so there will be possible noise from the adjacent villa. The views are not great from any one particular unit.
Aerial view of the resort: https://acadiavillageresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/about_page_2.jpg

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
51-56 have a view of the wetland from the front side and the backside looks on the rear area of the other villas. The 57-60 villas view is of the grassland with the Hampton Inn in the background. The 61-62 handicapped villas are to the right of the Manor House toward the Villas (not visible or non existent in the photo linked below). Unit 57 is above the resort laundry, so there may be a noise problem there during the day. All the villas are in two unit buildings - so there will be possible noise from the adjacent villa. The views are not great from any one particular unit.
Aerial view of the resort: https://acadiavillageresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/about_page_2.jpg

Google maps satellite view is also somewhat helpful in combination with the above description to visualize things as well. Street view doesn't go fully into the resort, just to the main office building https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...db!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d44.5331564!4d-68.4045858

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I don't know where they got the idea that there was a doctor in the resort - maybe I should google it.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I don't know where they got the idea that there was a doctor in the resort - maybe I should google it.
Maybe because there's a doctor's office/clinic right at the entrance?

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Sure, but they show the doctor where unit 62 is. There was no doctor in that unit last September when I stayed there. The medical center is on the left side of resort way while the resort is to the right. Somebody put the doctor marker outside the medical center and in the resort instead. Like they say, you can't believe everything on the internet.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions about places to visit in addition to Acadia National Park

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have a cruise stop in Bar Harbor in late August next year. I think it is a tender port from 7-4pm. So assume I have from 9-2:30pm what would you suggest? Guided tours or on our own? Should I try to rent a car to explore? Has anyone done any guided tours or boat trips that they especially loved.