• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Odds that Hyatt will exercise it's ROFR?

SouthlakeLion

Reaction score
Just made an offer on a Hyatt timeshare in San Antonio for 10K. It's a 1400 point, 2BR unit. Seller has agreed to pay closing costs and transfer fee. I know Hyatt sells these "new" for around 18K. Any idea what my chances are of having this go through?

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
You are fine

It will pass ROFR, it is a silver season and it seems that most ROFR are exercised on 2000 and 2200 point weeks. Also, based on price it will pass without any problem - I am assuming that you got the unit, resort and week that you wanted. If you are purchasing to use with other Hyatts you could have saved some money and purchased a 1400 point week at a lower price. But, regardless you will love Hyatt and you still saved money when compared to developer prices.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just made an offer on a Hyatt timeshare in San Antonio for 10K. It's a 1400 point, 2BR unit. Seller has agreed to pay closing costs and transfer fee. I know Hyatt sells these "new" for around 18K. Any idea what my chances are of having this go through?

You should be fine!!! Welcome to Hyatt and I hope you enjoy many nice vacations to come!

SouthlakeLion

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you!

You don't know how close I was to buying from the developer a few months ago. After reading this board, I decided to be patient and wait for a deal to come along. The asking price was actually 9K (firm). I told the seller I'd give them 10K if they paid the closing costs and transfer fee (about $1,000 total). The reason I did was I wanted to increase my chances that Hyatt would not buy it back.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will pass ROFR, it is a silver season and it seems that most ROFR are exercised on 2000 and 2200 point weeks. Also, based on price it will pass without any problem - I am assuming that you got the unit, resort and week that you wanted. If you are purchasing to use with other Hyatts you could have saved some money and purchased a 1400 point week at a lower price. But, regardless you will love Hyatt and you still saved money when compared to developer prices.

Sorry this is a little off topic but I have a question! When a resort has ROFR are they bumping your buyer and buying the unit from you at that price or just blocking the sale!

I read a post about a resort having this right and after the sale was stopped because of ROFR the owner stated she now had to start over trying to sell her unit! :wall:

I have been around timesharing since 1983 but never had to deal with ROFR so this makes no sense to me! :eek:

SouthlakeLion

Reaction score
My understanding of ROFR....

(at least in this case) is that Hyatt will actually buy the unit back from the seller, and I would get my earnest money back.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
By definition, ROFR means that the ROFR holder (in this case Hyatt) buys it instead of the buyer at the contracted price.

The acronym stands for Right of First Refusal. So by not refusing to purchase at the contracted price, they are by definition, purchasing at that price.

No developer ever has the right to reject someones right to sell, only to buy at that price. It is the personal or deeded property of the owner and that is a fundamental right under our system of English law.

robertr55

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal's site at http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/HVCRules.html
has the "official rules":
Developer Right of First Refusal before Resale. Before Purchaser may resell the Purchaser’s Unit Week to a third party and for so long as the Developer holds Unit Weeks for sale at the Condominium, Purchaser is required to offer the Purchaser’s Unit Week to Developer upon the same terms and conditions, including financing, as is offered by or to the third party. Accordingly, Purchaser must notify Developer in writing no less than 30 days in advance of the proposed closing date of the Purchaser’s intent to sell and must include a copy of the proposed transaction reduced to writing in all respects. Upon receipt of such written notice, Developer shall determine prior to the proposed closing date whether it wishes to exercise its right of first refusal. If Developer elects to exercise its right of first refusal, Developer shall notify Purchaser in writing of such election, and the purchase by Developer shall be closed on or before the proposed closing date. If Developer fails to notify Purchaser of its election to exercise its right of first refusal prior to the proposed closing date, Purchaser may proceed to close the transaction with the third party upon the original terms and conditions offered by or to the third party. Developer’s right of first refusal is a covenant that runs with the land and shall always be a requirement binding on any successor in title to Purchaser.