• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Odd Covid thing happening , questions ?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And we wonder why after a year there are still a lot of cases. Still too many unknowns so its best to be over cautious. But then 60k people at a baseball game.
I hope they had fun.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
The issue for Hawaii is hospital capacity which extends past available icu beds. Maui has one hospital servicing the entire island, plus Lanai and Molokai, same in Kauai, we have 3 main hospitals on the Big Island with very limited capacity. If there is anything serious or cannot be handled locally, the patient is airlifted to Oahu at a premium cost. We just had two large clusters in Hilo and Kona raising our numbers exponentially.

Traveler's are not counted in the Hawaii case count numbers and when travelling in a group, they tend not to quarantine which may pass to our local vendors, restaurant staff....

It is not an easy solution because you cannot get from one island to another with air travel.

Sorry if this gets off topic and needs to be moved to the Covid-19 thread. I completely understand.
My point was they can't fly (home) until it's been at least 14 days since a positive test. If a person can test positive for 3 months, that's a long time. When we know after 20/21 days they aren't contagious? Why at that point couldn't they fly home?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandi Bo I am so totally in agreement with you. My next door neighbors have gone so weird. Last year they were careful about COVID. Now they believe it is a hoax. They will not vaccinate and claim most doctors won’t get vaccinated. they also claim that science says the vaccine doesn’t work. Another neighbor is selling their house and they made a special appointment to see it, unmasked and unvaccinated. They do this every time a house is for sale, claiming they are looking for a friend . When I mentioned a neighbor died of Covid, he said the hospital just claims that so they get more money. No too bad he died.
A couple of bridge players are the same, won’t vaccinate but want to play and without a mask.
what do you do? Our club wants to reopen the restaurant and clubhouse but some members won’t take precautions. You don’t always know who they are, in order to avoid them.
We have a woman in subdivision on ventilator, caught Covid from her sisters couple weeks ago . Expect to remove life support soon.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
My point was they can't fly (home) until it's been at least 14 days since a positive test. If a person can test positive for 3 months, that's a long time. When we know after 20/21 days they aren't contagious? Why at that point couldn't they fly home?
I believe the 14 day quarantine when someone tests positive is a CDC recommendation, not specific to Hawaii travel.

Figure. Modeled estimates of post-quarantine transmission risk quarantine duration

Figure. Modeled estimates of post-quarantine transmission risk quarantine duration. The light blue bars indicate the daily post-quarantine transmission risk if there is no clinical evidence of COVID-19 elicited during daily symptom monitoring. The dark blue bars indicate the post-quarantine transmission risk with the addition of a negative RT-PCR result from a specimen collected 24-48 hours prior.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the gohawaiian.com travel requirements:

"Despite the CDC’s announcement on April 2, the islands of Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, and Hawaii continue with the state’s Safe Travels pre-travel testing program, even for fully vaccinated passengers. Travelers must have their negative test results prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 10-day quarantine. Although Hawaii’s policy may change in the near future, it remains in place until further notice."

PRE-TRAVEL requirements; NOTHING about re-testing upon arrival in Hawaii.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Kids, what a conundrum. My daughter was vaccinated in December. Her husband got his 2nd shot on Saturday. No one has been more cautious than them. Someone called Saturday and invited them to see their chickens, my grandkids are 3 and 5. Of the people that invited them, the husband is fully vaccinated, the wife, eligible as she is a paralegal at a school, was waiting to see how the husband did. Wife just tested positive (and she started having symptoms on Friday (please don't ask why they would invite someone over on Saturday)). They were outside, masked, and used sanitizer. I really think everyone will be fine. It makes me wonder how things will be moving forward, how are vaxxers and anti-vaxxers going to coexist. Seems like it's going to get ugly. The bottom line for me in this situation, is the ones that end being the most at-risk are the children. To add insult to injury, my 88 year old mother is coming to visit (stay with me) on Thursday. Now we'll have to stay away for a week or so (what's a week when it's been a year)? It's going to get harder and harder to be nice to people who don't vaccinate.

I used to think if I had children < 18 (mine are all grown) I wouldn't vaccinate. Now I see why children are likely going to need to :-(

As far as the whole Hawaii thing, I wish we'd see more common sense applied to rules that are used. The hospitals aren't concerned about people being contagious after 20 or 21 days. They'll move a patient that tested positive to covid to a non-covid area 20 or 21 days after they first tested positive. I doesn't make sense those same rules wouldn't apply to travelers.
Just talked to someone in my book club last night. Her daughter/SIL are vaccinated and have three high school age kids who just stated back at in-person school. One kid plays basketball. He got covid (along with others on the team) and now all three kids have it. So no more in person school for a few weeks. Mom/Dad aren't happy about this. In a way the kids are acquiring immunity this way I suppose.

My kids are grown too. And old enough that there was no chickenpox vaccine. My oldest daughter got chickenpox on the last day of school before summer vacation. Ugh. At that point I tried to expose the other two so that we could get this over with. And only daughter #2 got it, but only after another 2 weeks had gone by. After two weeks when we were almost done, daughter #3 finally got it. We spent the entire summer vacation (6 weeks!) stuck at home quarantining - because my kids had lesions that just wouldn't let go. All that we were able to do that summer was do our back to school shopping and send them back to school in late August. It looks like how it may go with these kids since the vaccine hasn't been tested on kids.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Just talked to someone in my book club last night. Her daughter/SIL are vaccinated and have three high school age kids who just stated back at in-person school. One kid plays basketball. He got covid (along with others on the team) and now all three kids have it. So no more in person school for a few weeks. Mom/Dad aren't happy about this. In a way the kids are acquiring immunity this way I suppose.

My kids are grown too. And old enough that there was no chickenpox vaccine. My oldest daughter got chickenpox on the last day of school before summer vacation. Ugh. At that point I tried to expose the other two so that we could get this over with. And only daughter #2 got it, but only after another 2 weeks had gone by. After two weeks when we were almost done, daughter #3 finally got it. We spent the entire summer vacation (6 weeks!) stuck at home quarantining - because my kids had lesions that just wouldn't let go. All that we were able to do that summer was do our back to school shopping and send them back to school in late August. It looks like how it may go with these kids since the vaccine hasn't been tested on kids.
I think that is a logical and reasonable next phase of all this. Of course we don't want kids to be sick, but since it doesn't seriously affect them like it does older and at-risk people, and we don't have a vaccine for kids, make sense to me. What may need to ease up for them is the 21 day quarantining. When my friend (multi-generational home) had covid, her grandkids had to stay home for a few weeks. Then her son tested positive, reset the clock for the grandkids. It's hard. My daughter is a hospitalist, fully vaccinated, if her kids test positive, the rule right now is she can't work for 21 days (unpaid leave). I predict that will change.

We did chickenpox the old fashioned way, too. I lost count of the amount of times I had childcare planned to watch my kids who were exposed and then didn't come down with 'em. Eventually they all did. Crazy though.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
All three of the grand daughters are now sick. Fever and coughing that shakes their bodies. They are better today. None of us that had contact with them two days before they tested positive are sick. It is kind of boring being on quarantine when you are well. I have some projects that require no one but me so I'm not as bored as my daughters family, lol.

Bill

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

This current CV19 mess is wearing on me, but chicken pox as a young mom? OK, that really made me nuts! haha...wow, I was not used to that. haha. Son1 got them. Son2 was less than 6 mos old and the pediatrician assured me he would not get them, but he did. A mild case and that was probably a good thing. Those were the longest days of my life. :ROFLMAO:

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
All three of the grand daughters are now sick. Fever and coughing that shakes their bodies. They are better today. None of us that had contact with them two days before they tested positive are sick. It is kind of boring being on quarantine when you are well. I have some projects that require no one but me so I'm not as bored as my daughters family, lol.

Bill
So sorry! Hope they have a speedy recovery!

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
=

Bill
So sorry to hear. Hope they are all feeling better and soon! Glad to hear others are not testing positive.