• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oct. 18: Now that Hawaii is open, it's time for the NEW AND IMPROVED COVID-19 poll and discussion thread.

When do you think Hawaii will re-open with no restrictions/health requirements?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t tell from the written article and didn’t open the video - were they arrested in SFO and removed from the plane, or did they fly all the way to LIH before they were arrested?
They flew to LIH and got arrested on Kauai.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I was just about to post the same article from the Washington Post. It is truly no wonder that Hawaii is being extremely careful; it seems people will do anything to get to Hawaii these days. The selfishness of some people is truly staggering.

It is also a caution about flying. The tests are helpful but do not create a risk free situation.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. I wonder how the Kauai government is handling the planeload of potentially exposed individuals?
Yeah there wasnt anything in the news about that. I know they do offer free voluntary post travel testing so maybe they are doing that. But im not sure. Its troubling that it sounds like these were returning residents. But still. Crazy stuff.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Would be good to know all the facts before jumping to conclusions. People can and do test positive for covid for up to three months after having covid. It doesn’t mean that a person is actually contagious when there is a positive result depending on the circumstances.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Would be good to know all the facts before jumping to conclusions. People can and do test positive for covid for up to three months after having covid. It doesn’t mean that a person is actually contagious when there is a positive result depending on the circumstances.

The conclusions are clear, regardless of any possibility of their not being actively contagious. They disobeyed instructions. They flew when they were specifically told not to. What else do you need to know?

Frankly, I’m still dismayed that the airlines are not monitoring this adequately. This is just another reason not to trust the airlines regardless of what they say regarding safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Interesting article on receiving a positive test at an airport testing center
Interesting article. He had the rapid covid test which can give false positive. Sounds like he did have some symptoms so it likely was accurate. We use them where I work and always follow up with the PCR test for confirmation. A negative rapid is accurate but positive rapid can be false. We’ve seen it happen. I would not want to depend on the rapid test prior to travel.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Important to note, too that at least in SF you are not eligible for testing at the airport unless your flight *originates* there, i.e., you are a local resident. There has been some discussion on TUG about people routing through there so they can get their tests done. Looks like that isn’t possible.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Interesting article. He had the rapid covid test which can give false positive. Sounds like he did have some symptoms so it likely was accurate. We use them where I work and always follow up with the PCR test for confirmation. A negative rapid is accurate but positive rapid can be false. We’ve seen it happen. I would not want to depend on the rapid test prior to travel.
Last time I read the package insert on the rapid antigen test, it was only FDA approved for us in a symptomatic patient to confirm COVID. It was NOT approved or tested for surveillance testing or testing of asymptomatic patients, and there was no data on sensitivity and specificity on asymptomatic patients. Thus, it is prone to false positives on an asymptomatic patient. When you have both symptoms of COVID AND a positive antigen test you have high reliability in the test result.

This is why I say using it for surveillance testing on arrival in Kona is going to create problems.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club

Likewise the false negative rate is not zero. People don't test positive the minute they are infected because it takes time for the virus to multiply. I don't have the reference but my DH read an article recently about a family that got together after all testing negative and they all came down with covid. All to say that testing is very helpful, but it is not a panacea.

And there are the people who know they are positive and just have to go to Hawaii, infecting people all along the way (who will then infect others) ....

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Likewise the false negative rate is not zero. People don't test positive the minute they are infected because it takes time for the virus to multiply. I don't have the reference but my DH read an article recently about a family that got together after all testing negative and they all came down with covid. All to say that testing is very helpful, but it is not a panacea.

And there are the people who know they are positive and just have to go to Hawaii, infecting people all along the way (who will then infect others) ....
There are people, apparently quite a few, that still don't believe there is such a thing as COVID.

Testing needs to be viewed more as part of a strategy than a conclusion. The key to ensuring a high accuracy in a test is to have quarantined about 5-7 days before the test. If you became infected before the self-quarantine, it will likely appear in a test taken 5-7 days later. However, that doesn't mean you cannot become infected after the test. Put in terms of a trip to Hawaii, start a quarantine on Wednesday morning, follow that with a Monday test (that's five+ days, so 6+ since any possible infection) that's negative, then quarantine until flight departure on Wed or Thursday, and your only meaningful risk is the actual airport-flight-airport period.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent video! This is from Thursday Dec 4, 2020 (New episode every Thursday @ 2pm Eastern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
A overall perspective on Highwire from MediaBiasFactCheck.com. FWIW, before I decided to post a link from this website, I looked at their evaluation of other websites and media publications I am more familiar with - Media Bias Fact Check does not seem to have a particular political ax to grind.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
A overall perspective on Highwire from MediaBiasFactCheck.com. FWIW, before I decided to post a link from this website, I looked at their evaluation of other websites and media publications I am more familiar with - they do not seem to have a particular political ax to grind.
I'm not sure. It seems Highwire is operated by ICAN, which is clearly an advocacy group that refers to its work on "man made disease" and its lawsuits against the FDA, HHS, etc., and appears decidedly anti-vaccine. This is from their website. So I'm not sure I'm ready to accept their "facts."

1607114012063.png

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I think I was unclear - I did not mean that Highwire had no political ax to grind - I meant that MediaBiasfactCheck seemed even-handed. And they assessed HighWire as:
a Strong Conspiracy as well as a Quackery level Pseudoscience site based on the routine promotion of unproven claims. We also rate them Low for factual reporting due to promoting propaganda not aligned with the consensus of science as well as several failed fact checks.

I will try to edit my last post to clarify - done.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'm thinking 2022. Just saw an interview with Dr. Fauci where he predicted that we'd have an effective vaccine as early as November, but it wouldn't be widely available until the end of 2021.

I also like how Hawaii has handled this thing. The Governor stated his goal was to "ensure the health and safety of Hawaii's citizens". He did it. Hawaii is one of the least impacted states in the country as far as Covid is concerned. The guy also established a program that ensured that the majority of people traveling to the islands were tested in advance. They basically made Hawaii the safest state in the nation to travel to.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if they protected their population from Covid, and made their state the safest travel destination in the country, can we give them some credit? I mean, it's about results. Seems like their doing pretty well.
On the flip side, Governor Ige is rated as the least popular governor of all 50 states, with a 32% approval rating. He may be protecting the locals, but he's decimating the Hawaiian economy. If the results of this poll are close to correct and things don't fully normalize until 2022, it's hard to imagine what Hawaii will look like then with massive hotel, restaurant, and tour company closures.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
On the flip side, Governor Ige is rated as the least popular governor of all 50 states, with a 32% approval rating. He may be protecting the locals, but he's decimating the Hawaiian economy. If the results of this poll are close to correct and things don't fully normalize until 2022, it's hard to imagine what Hawaii will look like then with massive hotel, restaurant, and tour company closures.
My view... there are some Governors that are waaayyyy to cavalier and doing a lousy job of protecting their citizens. Florida and the Dakotas come to mind. There are others that are too protective. Because of Hawaii's unique situation -- an island 3000 miles away -- it is easy for Ige to be too protective. To me, the most successful are those that are able to manage the compromises, to thread the needle and get the best protection with the least economic harm. Not easy, to be sure. But I'm not sure Hawaii has done a great job of even trying.

As an example, in Kauai they gave gone to 100% quarantine because of the lack of available ICU beds. Well, it's been 8 months. Is there any reason they could not have the ICU capacity they need today? Had they added beds perhaps they'd feel (and be) very safe today with the same rules as Oahu and the Hyatt would not be shutting down. According to Hawaii data, 7% of their cases statewide have required hospitalization. I believe generally about 15-25% of those need an ICU. So if you have 100 cases, perhaps 2 would need an ICU. Is there any reason for Kauai to not have 10 ICU beds available for COVID if needed? That would mean they could handle about 500 active cases. So far they've had 120 for the ENTIRE pandemic.

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
I'm in quarantine state now. The only other inside exposure I've had than my immediate family is my hour spent with Dr. who works on my back. We both wear masks, but what convinced me to take this risk, He had Covid in April. 2 days after this last session he notifies me that he again has Covid, with symptoms, and would have had it during our session 2 days before. He did not have a mild case initially but not an extreme case either. 8 months between infections. For what its worth :-(

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
This article mentions that the movement to further restrict travel to Hawaii is going momentum with state lawmakers, particularly the senate. Some of these proposals will seriously curtail travel to the state.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
This article mentions that the movement to further restrict travel to Hawaii is going momentum with state lawmakers, particularly the senate. Some of these proposals will seriously curtail travel to the state.

Im local. I feel like beat of hawaii is sensationalizing for clicks because no one is going their website to read about cheap airfare anymore. No one is talking about a shutdown esp not on oahu. They want to allow for a longer pretesting period followed by a second post test due to limited testing on some parts of the US mainland. We arents surging with a 7 day average of 92.9 cases. Additionally oahu's new mayor will be on board in less than a month and he wants to reopen more. The rules may change slightly,it may be confusing yet again- but i don't think we are shutting down to tourists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.