• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oct. 18: Now that Hawaii is open, it's time for the NEW AND IMPROVED COVID-19 poll and discussion thread.

When do you think Hawaii will re-open with no restrictions/health requirements?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Two posts have been edited: This forum is for discussions about TRAVEL to Hawaii - not for contentious opinions about C-19. If you want to have a C-19 thread on the Hawaii Forum, then stick to the topic! If you want to wax eloquently about your contentious social/political opions, there are lots of places where you can do that - but not here.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Redacted: This thread is for discussions about HAWAII TRAVEL - please stick to the topic.]

I'll give it another month to see how things go in Hawaii before I'm ready to think about booking anything. Even though we have vouchers from our trip to Kauai last year that are burning a whole in my pocket. Because we've been there I understand and agree with the reasons they've been so strict. While I have no concerns that our traveling in the Continental US has put anyone else at risk, at this time I wouldn't be able to say the same thing about Hawaii.
We have vouchers as well. I am not sure what the cancellation policy for vouchers is (Air Canada and Westjet, probably different in the States). If those cannot be changed or cancelled we may just use cash or points for the next flight; initially when we start to travel by plane things will probably still not be 100% OK and another wave can come any time. We will use the vouchers when we are completely on the other side of this.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I apologize Denise, I was simply offering Jan some kind words.
When your "kind words" dog whistle a contentious social/political opinion, you should use a private message.

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Took a walk down to Waikiki Beach this afternoon. I walked through the International MarketPlace and took the video below. More stores are definitely open by not too many people yet. Most of the stores have a sign for the number of people allowed in at one time. Thought some people might want to see how it’s going so far.

Thanks for posting. Goes to show how dependent these businesses are on tourism.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

This does not look like a good beginning to tourism opening.

Through the weekend, a total of 9 passengers have tested positive for COVID at Big Island airports with the mandatory rapid tests on landing.

All of those passengers were then required to take a PCR test and quarantine. Of those 9, 4 were confirmed positive and 5 were false positive. The Department of Health is monitoring those positive passengers.

Contact tracing has begun to round up the passengers on United and Hawaiian who sat in the same row and two rows forward/back to quarantine and test those positive-exposed people.

A person's positivity is reported to their home zip code. So unless these positive people reside on Hawaii County, their positivity won't impact Hawaii's virus counts.
Not sure which is more concerning... 4 positives or 5 false positives. The fear/concern of those 5 until they get their results is probably very real. That said, it would be great if we get the results of that contract tracing... it will either give us all great sense of security, or real concern. Doubt we will though.

Edit: I just read that there were 2800 people that arrived. So the 4 positives are out of 2800. The Lt. Gov. said he felt that was quite acceptable. 0.1%.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We have vouchers as well. I am not sure what the cancellation policy for vouchers is (Air Canada and Westjet, probably different in the States). If those cannot be changed or cancelled we may just use cash or points for the next flight; initially when we start to travel by plane things will probably still not be 100% OK and another wave can come any time. We will use the vouchers when we are completely on the other side of this.
It's not even clear that Canadians can travel to Hawaii now on AC or WS. There are no approved travel partners in Canada. I'm glad we canceled for March. I have a feeling it is going to be a very long time before we go back to Hawaii. Until then, other locations will get our tourist dollars - so we will be using our vouchers for those places.

I did use WestJet credits to book our trip to California for December. Worked really well and the agent gave us preferred seats at no extra charge. :)

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading a news article in Maui News. It said 200 passengers (who had previously tested negative for Covid prior to arrival) coming in to Maui over the weekend voluntarily took another Covid test after arrival in Maui. Later in the article it mentions new Covid cases for the islands but zero reported for Maui.

So I’m extrapolating that none of those 200 passengers tested were positive for Covid.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

This does not look like a good beginning to tourism opening.

Through the weekend, a total of 9 passengers have tested positive for COVID at Big Island airports with the mandatory rapid tests on landing.

All of those passengers were then required to take a PCR test and quarantine. Of those 9, 4 were confirmed positive and 5 were false positive. The Department of Health is monitoring those positive passengers.

Contact tracing has begun to round up the passengers on United and Hawaiian who sat in the same row and two rows forward/back to quarantine and test those positive-exposed people.

A person's positivity is reported to their home zip code. So unless these positive people reside on Hawaii County, their positivity won't impact Hawaii's virus counts.
GOOD NEWS!

The 4 positive results from arriving passengers on Thursday have now all tested negative through a follow-up PCR test. Because of that, the Mayor of Hawaii is thinking of killing the airport testing program and replace it with a procedure that will require passengers to be tested 3 or 4 days after they arrive.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
GOOD NEWS!

The 4 positive results from arriving passengers on Thursday have now all tested negative through a follow-up PCR test. Because of that, the Mayor of Hawaii is thinking of killing the airport testing program and replace it with a procedure that will require passengers to be tested 3 or 4 days after they arrive.
I don't doubt you at all (in fact I desperately want this to be true), but I haven't found this info anywhere. Do you have a link?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
GOOD NEWS!

More broadly, it means of the ~2500 to fly into there, there was not a single false negative in the group. That bodes well for the introduction of tourism not bringing new infections in. Now we just need the tourists to not engage in behavior during their vacation that leads to community spread.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
More broadly, it means of the ~2500 to fly into there, there was not a single false negative in the group. That bodes well for the introduction of tourism not bringing new infections in. Now we just need the tourists to not engage in behavior during their vacation that leads to community spread.
And to take a test prior to arriving so as not to endanger fellow passengers and residents since there is no way to identify and trace people who have to quarantine and those that have agreed to test prior to arrival.

Safe Travels First 6+ Days
49,896 screened
42,360 exempted traveler (988 did not test and were exempted from the 14 day quarantine as essential)
6548 into quarantine
1:2 residents/visitors

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
So in 6 days there are 6548 arrivals that are subject to quarantine + 988 exempted essential workers. To analyze if the opening has been sucessful the first questions if the virus numbers increase are:

How many residents that were not tested and are quarantining have the disease and spread the it to those in the household that are not quarantined?
How many visitors that were not tested and are required to quarantine have the disease?
How many of the 988 essential workers that are exempted have the disease?

If any of the above have the disease did they contact others?

In 6 days 7536 new possible sources of spread have arrived, does Hawaii have the resources to analyze and trace?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I voted April. Probably wishful thinking but we have 14 days scheduled in April with an expiring credit on Southwest in May. We will test if need be. My personal feeling is if I haven’t gotten Covid at work my odds are pretty darn good that I wont get it once retired. Work has been Covid admission free for a week. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Maui here we come test or no test requirements.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found the prices for PCR? I was finding $150 each. The United test program looked to be $250.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone found the prices for PCR? I was finding $150 each. The United test program looked to be $250.
I am seeing about $150 too. I think that Quest is about $10 cheaper.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
For inter-island travel, lets say Big Island to Kauai, do you need another covid negative test prior to arrival? Assuming you flew into the islands having gotten a negative test. Also, if you fly from the mainland to Honululu and then connect to another Island is that considered inter-island travel?
Thanks

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Texas at CVS it was $139. We got our results back quickly. Tested on Wednesday at noon and results were back to us at 1:30 am on Friday morning.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
For inter-island travel, lets say Big Island to Kauai, do you need another covid negative test prior to arrival? Assuming you flew into the islands having gotten a negative test. Also, if you fly from the mainland to Honululu and then connect to another Island is that considered inter-island travel?
Thanks
Aloha,

a trip from the big island to Kauai needs anegative test or quarantine.
Connections through the Honolulu airport do not count as Interisland travel. A single pre-travel trans-pacific test allows you to fly to Kauai through HNL. Also, Interisland travel to O’ahu does not require a test.
When entering trips in safe travels you do one from the mainland to Honolulu and click exemp and then a second from Honolulu to Lihue

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
Thanks. I don't know how I missed it!
I arrived on Kauai on Saturday and received an email Wed asking me to go to the Wilcox clinic for a voluntary second test. I went and they didn't seem like they knew what was going on. I should have just walked away but I'd like to see this re-opening stick as we have another trip planned in January. I showed them the email, filled out the paperwork and was tested. They said 48 hours for results. A false positive (or real positive) would really screw up getting home so I'm having a little tester's remorse now. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.