• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocho Cascadas and SFX? What are my chances?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll admit it: Ocho Cascadas looms large in my imagination. I fell in love with this resort when I first saw it innocently pictured in the pages of the 1996 II catalog. I'd never even been to Mexico at that point, but I knew I wanted to go *there.*

I know that there is at least one Tugger who owns there, and I will say that I've never even attempted to try to get it through an II exchange. But I was checking out SFX the other day and discovered that they would take my week, and that, yes! OC was also one of the resorts that traded through SFX.

So, my question is: would joining SFX increase my chances of getting into Ocho Cascadas? Should I try an ongoing request with II first? Stalk the Tugger? ;) Any other advice for me? Even if it didn't increase my chances there, would it be worth joining in order to get some of the HGVC resorts, that are normally RCI-only? (I didn't check those on the website, so maybe I'm mistaken about that.)

Thanks!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with SFX, but why don't you give Trading Places a call? I think they get a reasonable amount of Ocho Cascades inventory, and they will accept any resort you have, on a same-size trade basis.

collinsc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, an Interval International rep told me that they get 3000 requests per year for exchanging into Ocho Cascadas, but only about 30 deposits from owners, which means that only about 1% of requests get filled. And he said most of the successful exchangers are owners of Marriott timeshares.

We deposited our entire 2-bedroom villa (it has a lockout option) at Marriott Desert Springs. We placed our exchange request one year in advance of our desired dates. We gave them a window of several months during which we wanted to travel. And then for 10 months, Interval International kept calling us to say "We hardly ever get any deposits from Ocho Cascadas, so your odds of getting in are very slim. Can we interest you in one of the other fine resorts in Puerto Vallarta?" We just kept telling them that we were only interested in Ocho Cascadas, and that we would continue to wait. And we did finally get our exchange confirmation in 1998. We loved it so much that we started watching for units to buy. We finally snagged one in 2001.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Ok, so here's the thing I've wondered: no A/C, how is that ok? Do fans make the place cool enough? No bugs?

H

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But you did ultimately get it...that's good news, I guess. I've, too, heard about the crazy odds, which is why I guess I've never even attempted it. So, would you ever exchange your weeks, Chris? *whistles innocently* ;)

I don't have any desire to stay anywhere else in PV other than OC, so it might be worth it. Maybe I'll need to buy a second week somewhere in order to have one tied up in the request....

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

Last edited:

beach_bumz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to deposit your week to join SFX. Just complete the application and get a free membership, then call and rent the OC!!!!

collinsc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the thing I've wondered: no A/C, how is that ok? Do fans make the place cool enough? No bugs?

It all depends on the time of year. The weather is pretty darn perfect most of the year. But June thru August can be hot, humid, and rainy, complete with bugs. So I personally wouldn't want to go there then.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last September. Hot, humid. It would have been unbearable w/out A/C. I saw a crab walking up the stairs away from the ocean. Guess the ocean was not wet enough for it. The good: no tourists/lines. The Mexican timeshare body snatchers call it SeptHambre (hungry).

Jim