• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oceana Palms: Availability for Enrolled, but not Trust VC

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting experience today. I made a VC point reservation 10/31 for one night using VC points. I actually wanted to use my trust points, but it was only available using my enrolled points. Since Oceana Palms is primarily owned by the trust, this surprised me. It somewhat contradicts the claims by salespeople that newer resorts will be harder to access using enrolled points. As an owner of both trust and enrolled points, this is my first experience of availability for enrolled points and none for trust. Has anyone else encountered this situation?

I also have some expiring points so I was considering using them to purchase the VG insurance for next year. However, when I was transferred to their website, I only was given an option to buy it for 2015, but not 2016. Why would I want to buy for 2015 this late in the year, and why isn't 2016 available?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I had an interesting experience today. I made a VC point reservation 10/31 for one night using VC points. I actually wanted to use my trust points, but it was only available using my enrolled points. Since Oceana Palms is primarily owned by the trust, this surprised me. It somewhat contradicts the claims by salespeople that newer resorts will be harder to access using enrolled points. As an owner of both trust and enrolled points, this is my first experience of availability for enrolled points and none for trust. Has anyone else encountered this situation?

I also have some expiring points so I was considering using them to purchase the VG insurance for next year. However, when I was transferred to their website, I only was given an option to buy it for 2015, but not 2016. Why would I want to buy for 2015 this late in the year, and why isn't 2016 available?

I assume you booked your one night stay online and not via a VOA? I think the website has a few glitches like this on occasion. I bet if you called a VOA, they could have easily used your Trust points.

I currently only have Trust points available, and doing a test, I was able to book that night via the website using my Trust points. I think the system gets confused sometimes when you have more than one bucket of points to use. I had a similar situation where it forced me to use Trust points, when it should have allowed Legacy points (and the ressie came from the Exchange...so there is no reason it needed Trust points). I ended up calling a VOA and she booked it the way I wanted it using Legacy points. Customer Care never could explain why the system acted as it did.

As for the insurance, I think if you call VG, they can sell you the 2016 MVC plan, but perhaps have not flipped over to it on the click through weblink yet.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

The reason some people might want 2015 insurance is that it covers all reservations made with 2015 points, not stays in 2015. If those stays will not occur until later this year, or if the 2015 points have been banked to 2016, or the 2015 week deposited to II, then 2015 is the use year one would want covered.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason some people might want 2015 insurance is that it covers all reservations made with 2015 points, not stays in 2015. If those stays will not occur until later this year, or if the 2015 points have been banked to 2016, or the 2015 week deposited to II, then 2015 is the use year one would want covered.

That makes sense, but I would think that more people would be trying to purchase insurance for 2016 than for 2015. I bought my 2015 coverage last year at about this time because I recall a stipulation that it had to be purchased within a designated time period after making the 2015 reservations.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume you booked your one night stay online and not via a VOA? I think the website has a few glitches like this on occasion. I bet if you called a VOA, they could have easily used your Trust points.

I currently only have Trust points available, and doing a test, I was able to book that night via the website using my Trust points. I think the system gets confused sometimes when you have more than one bucket of points to use. I had a similar situation where it forced me to use Trust points, when it should have allowed Legacy points (and the ressie came from the Exchange...so there is no reason it needed Trust points). I ended up calling a VOA and she booked it the way I wanted it using Legacy points. Customer Care never could explain why the system acted as it did.

As for the insurance, I think if you call VG, they can sell you the 2016 MVC plan, but perhaps have not flipped over to it on the click through weblink yet.

This is good to know. It didn't matter that much to me because it was only a difference of about 100 banked points and I was in a hurry and didn't have time to call. I hope they resolve the glitch because I prefer to do things online. That is my biggest disappointment in the program so far in that you can't search by location, nor can you cancel an existing reservation.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I hope they resolve the glitch because I prefer to do things online. That is my biggest disappointment in the program so far in that you can't search by location, nor can you cancel an existing reservation.

Totally agree....I much prefer to do it all online and its certainly irritating when there are things that don't work right, or like you said, aren't even available to be done online when seemingly they should be.