• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Tower Waikoloa

Brian_F

Reaction score
Anyone stayed here lately? I am using my HGVC membership (TUG group saved me $1000's, got it free!) for the first time for my 30th wedding anniversary. Booked a while back with hopes that the island would be fully open by mid-July which I guess is still possible. Anyway, we are seeing lots of negative reviews on Trip Advisor and starting to worry. Does anyone have any advice? Should I call ahead and request a renovated room? Is Uber available on the Big Island or should I rent a car? Seems like food options at the resort are limited.

Any recent stay experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Renting a car on BI is a must. Hopefully you can still reserve one for July without spending a fortune.

Re: reviews. Are these specifically for the HGVC section? Or the hotel?

Brian_F

Reaction score
Renting a car on BI is a must. Hopefully you can still reserve one for July without spending a fortune.

Re: reviews. Are these specifically for the HGVC section? Or the hotel?

Cars are very expensive but Touro might be an option to rent for days we want to do stuff.

Just wondering about the HGVC section because I see so many negative reviews about dated rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
The HGVC rooms (only a small portion of the tower at this point) have all been renovated. The rest of the rooms in Ocean Tower are rented out as hotel rooms.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Anyone stayed here lately? I am using my HGVC membership (TUG group saved me $1000's, got it free!) for the first time for my 30th wedding anniversary. Booked a while back with hopes that the island would be fully open by mid-July which I guess is still possible. Anyway, we are seeing lots of negative reviews on Trip Advisor and starting to worry. Does anyone have any advice? Should I call ahead and request a renovated room? Is Uber available on the Big Island or should I rent a car? Seems like food options at the resort are limited.

Any recent stay experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

TUG PLUG

A good way to pay back TUG for saving you thousands is by spending $15 per year to become a TUG member. One of the member benefits is being able to access many resort reviews, including the resort you are asking about.

Brian_F

Reaction score
TUG PLUG

A good way to pay back TUG for saving you thousands is by spending $15 per year to become a TUG member. One of the member benefits is being able to access many resort reviews, including the resort you are asking about.

Yeah, I was a member for a while but have let it lapse, is there a way to just have it automatically renew? I will re-up.

Brian_F

Reaction score
The HGVC rooms (only a small portion of the tower at this point) have all been renovated. The rest of the rooms in Ocean Tower are rented out as hotel rooms.

Good to know thanks

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We split our trip this past May between HGV Ocean Tower and KingsLand. Assuming you book your Ocean Tower stay with HGV points, then you will be located in one of the renovated club rooms. We had One Bedroom Large, Partial Ocean View Unit. The unit itself was very modern and very spacious. The furniture, and finishes in the unit were top notch, one of the nicest timeshare units we have stayed in. There is still construction going on as they convert more hotel units to HGV units. Depending on where your room is located, you may have to walk though some of the older unrenovated sections to get to your room.

When we were there in early May, there were very limit services at the hotel, with only the pool bar open, and maybe one place to eat. That was a disappointment, as part of the reason to stay at a giant resort is to have lots places to eat and drink... At least for me it is. I think most everything is now open from what I have read.

We really liked the unit and would consider staying there again at some point in the future. The main downside to Ocean tower is the distance to lobby and parking lot. Its good hike or tram ride whenever you want to go anywhere... Not good if you get to your car and and discover you left something back in the room..

Brian_F

Reaction score
1Kflyer, thanks for the information, very helpful

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1Kflyer, thanks for the information, very helpful

Happy to assist, let me know if you have any other questions.

The ocean tower is comprised of 3 connected rings, and your room size can vary by where your located on the ring. Our "One Bedroom Large" Booking code 1BP, was right where the 1st ring connects to the middle ring.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
After a recent visit, I greatly prefer the Kingsland pool over the hotel pools which are overcrowded. Other than the HGV OT portion which looks nice but is very small, there is considerable building construction and the pools and grounds, restrooms seem tired and need of renovation.

The entire resort (including the hotel) felt like a grand resort past it's prime. We had visited in 2017 and noticed much of the same. I believe the resort was originally designed to host massive business and sales conferences but fewer companies are funding such perks to Hawaii starting in the early 2000s so it has experienced a gradual decline over time. Even in the main hotel area, it seemed like landscaping was removed in places to reduce the cost of maintenance so it didn't feel as tropical and lush. They weren't operating the boats which are parked at OT and need to be renovated. Pool tiles were missing but perhaps this is in anticipation of renovation.

IMHO...although the HGV portion will be nice and we may stay there once construction is complete, I would be wary of buying there for fear of assessments to help renovate the grounds, infrastructure and pools. It is a big property 30+ years old so could be significant. OTOH if HGV could renovate and provide steady income, then the property could be returned to it's former glory.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The TripAdvisor reviews are people who are staying in the old not renovated gross rooms. And they are paying top dollar. Shame on Hilton. HGVC people are staying in the newly renovated timeshare units. Totally different and different floors. My brother owns there. He and his wife love it.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After a recent visit, I greatly prefer the Kingsland pool over the hotel pools which are overcrowded. Other than the HGV OT portion which looks nice but is very small, there is considerable building construction and the pools and grounds, restrooms seem tired and need of renovation.

The entire resort (including the hotel) felt like a grand resort past it's prime. We had visited in 2017 and noticed much of the same. I believe the resort was originally designed to host massive business and sales conferences but fewer companies are funding such perks to Hawaii starting in the early 2000s so it has experienced a gradual decline over time. Even in the main hotel area, it seemed like landscaping was removed in places to reduce the cost of maintenance so it didn't feel as tropical and lush. They weren't operating the boats which are parked at OT and need to be renovated. Pool tiles were missing but perhaps this is in anticipation of renovation.

IMHO...although the HGV portion will be nice and we may stay there once construction is complete, I would be wary of buying there for fear of assessments to help renovate the grounds, infrastructure and pools. It is a big property 30+ years old so could be significant. OTOH if HGV could renovate and provide steady income, then the property could be returned to it's former glory.

I also really like the pools at Kingsland, but while at Ocean Tower we enjoyed the hotel pools. In May at least the hotel pools where not overcrowded. Not sure if that was due to us traveling while most schools are still in session or if we just ahead of the big post pandemic boom....

As for the Hotel grounds, i agree the HWV does seem a bit tired, but in if also feels like they are beginning to fix things up. A few years back it seemed even more tired, at least compared to back when we stayed there in the early 2000s.

If i recall correctly, i believe the Park resorts that owns the HWV property had indicated they were renovating the resort. I just hope that is still ongoing, and not already completed...

Last edited:

Brian_F

Reaction score
I’m at Ocean Tower now. Everything is perfect, newly renovated studio room with nice view. Got a Lyft from airport no problems and check in was smooth and easy. Being a re-sale buyer they told me I was not eligible for the “1.5 hr welcome tour” which I was happy about. Assuming it was an upgrade presentation. Everything else was as I was an “owner”. The property is big so if you are in a hurry or don’t like walking it is not for you. Lanai is small but I have a view of Mauna Kea in one direction and ocean in the other. Overall very happy after some of the reviews I have seen. Want to go take a look at Bay Club as that is where my home week is. So far no problems with restaurants, I think things are catching up with tourists returning to the island. My resale ownership seems like a great value given my fees vs cost per night to stay in these resorts.

Holmel

Reaction score
I’m at Ocean Tower now. Everything is perfect, newly renovated studio room with nice view. Got a Lyft from airport no problems and check in was smooth and easy. Being a re-sale buyer they told me I was not eligible for the “1.5 hr welcome tour” which I was happy about. Assuming it was an upgrade presentation. Everything else was as I was an “owner”. The property is big so if you are in a hurry or don’t like walking it is not for you. Lanai is small but I have a view of Mauna Kea in one direction and ocean in the other. Overall very happy after some of the reviews I have seen. Want to go take a look at Bay Club as that is where my home week is. So far no problems with restaurants, I think things are catching up with tourists returning to the island. My resale ownership seems like a great value given my fees vs cost per night to stay in these resorts.

That's great to know (especially the Lyft) … my plan was Lyft-ing it while at OT, at most doing day-rentals - especially with the current crazy car prices. I’m also not a huge explorer. I’m also staying at KingsLand and Bay Club (3 weeks total) over xmas/NY (a big reason for my moving around between resorts) … first time (although I own Bay club), using this to determine which places I like best.