• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Pointe request

jstoeber

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Surf Club, Ko Olina, Ocean Pointe
I am a MVCI owner (KoOlina and Aruba) and have exchanged into Ocean Pointe through II for a week in March. Does anyone know of an email address or specific contact there to make a building request. I realize it will be low priority since I am trading in, but would like to try regardless. Thanks.

iluvfla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you to call and ask for the persons name, I always do that, worked very well, an email might be just deleted "by mistake", good luck !!!!!!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I would recommend you to call and ask for the persons name, I always do that, worked very well, an email might be just deleted "by mistake", good luck !!!!!!

I agree. I would definitely call to "confirm" and then make your request. Get it in their system.

I exchanged into Ocean Pointe a year and a half ago and loved it. We had a great room in the end building (it is separate from the other 3) but had the best view I thought.

Eat at Johnny Longboats, you will love it!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Ocean Pointe is one of the resorts that sends out a request E-mail about a month before your arrival. You can make your request on that form. They've always sent out a confirmation that they recieved our form back with our requests on it.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pointe is one of the resorts that sends out a request E-mail about a month before your arrival. You can make your request on that form. They've always sent out a confirmation that they recieved our form back with our requests on it.

We are going to be there 3/10 to 3/17, and never received any kind of request form. I think I should call them today - i was going to anyway - to ask about our room location. hmmm ..

Mamianka

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
We are going to be there 3/10 to 3/17, and never received any kind of request form. I think I should call them today - i was going to anyway - to ask about our room location. hmmm ..

Mamianka

You probably should call. We have a reservation at Desert Villa's II at the end of March and have already received an E-mail concerning our preferences.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
search the archives for room and building ideas

I suggest doing a search on this Marriott site for Ocean Pointe and you will get a lot of folks opinions about which building they like best. You should have a great time. Funtime

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a MVCI owner (KoOlina and Aruba) and have exchanged into Ocean Pointe through II for a week in March. Does anyone know of an email address or specific contact there to make a building request. I realize it will be low priority since I am trading in, but would like to try regardless. Thanks.

It is even worse than that because there are a large number of owners who spend multiple weeks at OP in the February-March time frame. They tend to lock up the best units; although even they have to take turns.

Art

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Actually, if you log in to my-vacationclub.com and go to the Ocean Pointe resort page, then the Weeks Owner tab, there is a link to the prearrival form. I found this form is actually different than the form in the link they send to you in the prearrival e-mail. There are more options for villa choice and location through the link on my-vacationclub.com

We have always used the online link and always had our requests fulfilled.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Actually, if you log in to my-vacationclub.com and go to the Ocean Pointe resort page, then the Weeks Owner tab, there is a link to the prearrival form. I found this form is actually different than the form in the link they send to you in the prearrival e-mail. There are more options for villa choice and location through the link on my-vacationclub.com

We have always used the online link and always had our requests fulfilled.

Hmmmm, the E-mailed form we've received has been the same as what I've seen out at my-vacactionclub.com. So much so I've stopped going to the online form.

As to getting your requests, it depends on what time of year you're going. Feb and March have always tended to be high owner occupancy. I don't know if that trend is holding steady now that the resort is becoming a more "mature" resort. When you have mult. week owners who stay in one unit for weeks at a time and when your exchanging in during the higher owner demand times, chances are less of getting your request fullfilled.

Up until last November, it seems to me we'd always received our first choice. Last year we did not. Unfotunately, my wife had become so accustomed to getting our first choice she was initially disappointed. November is silver season at Ocean Pointe.

While they try their best, traveling it might be setting the bar to high for March travel to expect to get your first choice of building. Typically, when we give our choices (three buildings and high/low floor), I'll make note that high floor is more important to us than building, which is probably why we didn't get our first choice of buildings last year but, we were assigned a high floor. My wife may have been a little disappointed at first but, when I put it to her that we might have had a low floor in the building of her choice, she felt better about our assignment.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hmmmm, the E-mailed form we've received has been the same as what I've seen out at my-vacactionclub.com. So much so I've stopped going to the online form.

Perhaps the e-mailed form is different for owners and those exchanging in. We have always exchanged in. The e-mailed form that we received didn't have the options for which direction you preferred your unit to face (North/South) and also didn't have the options to select your building preference in the order of preference. Thus we continue to use the online form.

The e-mailed form we received only had options for concierge type services (restaurant reservations, activities).

As to getting your requests, it depends on what time of year you're going. Feb and March have always tended to be high owner occupancy. I don't know if that trend is holding steady now that the resort is becoming a more "mature" resort. When you have mult. week owners who stay in one unit for weeks at a time and when your exchanging in during the higher owner demand times, chances are less of getting your request fullfilled.

Up until last November, it seems to me we'd always received our first choice. Last year we did not. Unfotunately, my wife had become so accustomed to getting our first choice she was initially disappointed. November is silver season at Ocean Pointe.

While they try their best, traveling it might be setting the bar to high for March travel to expect to get your first choice of building. Typically, when we give our choices (three buildings and high/low floor), I'll make note that high floor is more important to us than building, which is probably why we didn't get our first choice of buildings last year but, we were assigned a high floor. My wife may have been a little disappointed at first but, when I put it to her that we might have had a low floor in the building of her choice, she felt better about our assignment.

I agree, if traveling during peak times when owner occupancy is high, chances of getting your first choice is lower. That is what I like about the form, you can select your preferences in the order you desire. We really aren't too picky and if we were to get our third choice, it wouldn't be a huge loss. We just don't want them to put us in to what would be our last choice (Kingfish). So far, that hasn't happened. I still promise that if we ever go for just a couple nights, we will give Kingfish a chance. Just don't want to commit a whole week there yet.

hillsk

Reaction score
Building choice at Ocean Pointe?

You seem to know a lot about Ocean Pointe buildings. Please rank them 1-5 for me so I know what to expect. We did an II trade for a 3-bedroom/3-bath unit. Don't know if we will get a building and/or floor choice; but, if we do, your experience there could really help me. Thanks.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
You seem to know a lot about Ocean Pointe buildings. Please rank them 1-5 for me so I know what to expect. We did an II trade for a 3-bedroom/3-bath unit. Don't know if we will get a building and/or floor choice; but, if we do, your experience there could really help me. Thanks.

We'll we do own there and we have gone every year except for one since 2011.

Ranking them is impossible. Each building has it's strong points depending on what you're wanting from a vacation. So I'll list what I like, or dislike, about each one.

Sailfish: Is the oldest building and is the most recently refurbished building. It's got a great location by the grills, it has a nice location close to the family pools if you have young children and the three bedroom units have a southern exposure which gives you a nice view of the pool deck, grounds and Tiki Bar.

Dolphin: Very similar to Sailfish but, it's the building with the Marketplace and Maze activities center. The grills are in front of sailfish so there is a little bit of a walk to use them but, it's not far and it's pleasant.

The problem with both Dolphin and Sailfish is the evening entertainment at the Tiki Bar can disturb your pease and quite if you want to relax at night. I believe activities end at 10:00 so it's not going to keep you awake all night. You just won't be sitting out on your balcony enjoying the peace and quite of the cool ocean breezes.

Cobia: Of the main complex buildings, this one is my favorite. Mainly because I enjoy the view of the Cobia pool and hot tub at night. It's just far enough that the Tiki Bar music doesn't bother me but close enough that it's a short walk to the Tiki Bar for an evening drink. I also enjoy standing on the balcony watching guest play mini-golf.

The downside to Cobia, if you can call it that, is that it's further away from the grills. It's enough of a walk that it makes eating at one of the tables by the grills and attractive option.

Pompano: Probably my least faborite of the main complex buildings. The fitness center, mens/womens dressing rooms and sauna's are in this building so, if fitness is you thing it's very convenient. There are grills just outside this building so those are convenient as well. My problem with it is that as a three bedroom unit owner, our view is to the south, which is the pink building that seperates the Kingfish building from the main complex. Basically, I just don't care for the view. It's also the furthest walk in the main complex to the Tiki Bar and, if you have kids, it's about as far away from the childrens activities as you can get and still be in the main complex.

Kingfish: This is our favorite building because it's more secluded, which is also the reason it's the least favorite for many guests at Ocean Pointe. Kingfish has it's own pool and small (very small) hot tub. It also has it's own bar but, that bar closes way to early IMHO. The pool at Kingfish is also the only zero entery pool in the complex, which can be attractive to couples with young children. Kingfish has easy beach access but, it's at the end of the beach at the inlet. Not the best swimming section of beach but, there's always people fishing on the jetty. The three bedroom units are on the north side so they also face the pink building but, you have a good view of the inlet and we've sat and watched the dolphin feeding there several times. It's also one of the favored spots for surfers, which I find entertaining to watch.

We like Kingfish because it's more secluded. Many don't like it for the same reason. It's about a 1/4 mile walk to the main complex and all it's activities and many find that walk annoying. Being from KS, I really enjoy walking the short distance up the beach to the main complex and find it relaxing rather than annoying.

Every building offers a little something different. I believe (I really don't pay attention) that the south facing rooms get the sun. For 3 bedroom units that would be Sailfish, Cobia, and Pompano (I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about Dolphin). Which one is best for you depends on what important to your traveling party.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ranking them is impossible. Each building has it's strong points depending on what you're wanting from a vacation. So I'll list what I like, or dislike, about each one.

Sailfish: Is the oldest building and is the most recently refurbished building. It's got a great location by the grills, it has a nice location close to the family pools if you have young children and the three bedroom units have a southern exposure which gives you a nice view of the pool deck, grounds and Tiki Bar.

Dolphin: Very similar to Sailfish but, it's the building with the Marketplace and Maze activities center. The grills are in front of sailfish so there is a little bit of a walk to use them but, it's not far and it's pleasant.

The problem with both Dolphin and Sailfish is the evening entertainment at the Tiki Bar can disturb your pease and quite if you want to relax at night. I believe activities end at 10:00 so it's not going to keep you awake all night. You just won't be sitting out on your balcony enjoying the peace and quite of the cool ocean breezes.

Cobia: Of the main complex buildings, this one is my favorite. Mainly because I enjoy the view of the Cobia pool and hot tub at night. It's just far enough that the Tiki Bar music doesn't bother me but close enough that it's a short walk to the Tiki Bar for an evening drink. I also enjoy standing on the balcony watching guest play mini-golf.

The downside to Cobia, if you can call it that, is that it's further away from the grills. It's enough of a walk that it makes eating at one of the tables by the grills and attractive option.

Pompano: Probably my least faborite of the main complex buildings. The fitness center, mens/womens dressing rooms and sauna's are in this building so, if fitness is you thing it's very convenient. There are grills just outside this building so those are convenient as well. My problem with it is that as a three bedroom unit owner, our view is to the south, which is the pink building that seperates the Kingfish building from the main complex. Basically, I just don't care for the view. It's also the furthest walk in the main complex to the Tiki Bar and, if you have kids, it's about as far away from the childrens activities as you can get and still be in the main complex.

Kingfish: This is our favorite building because it's more secluded, which is also the reason it's the least favorite for many guests at Ocean Pointe. Kingfish has it's own pool and small (very small) hot tub. It also has it's own bar but, that bar closes way to early IMHO. The pool at Kingfish is also the only zero entery pool in the complex, which can be attractive to couples with young children. Kingfish has easy beach access but, it's at the end of the beach at the inlet. Not the best swimming section of beach but, there's always people fishing on the jetty. The three bedroom units are on the north side so they also face the pink building but, you have a good view of the inlet and we've sat and watched the dolphin feeding there several times. It's also one of the favored spots for surfers, which I find entertaining to watch.

We like Kingfish because it's more secluded. Many don't like it for the same reason. It's about a 1/4 mile walk to the main complex and all it's activities and many find that walk annoying. Being from KS, I really enjoy walking the short distance up the beach to the main complex and find it relaxing rather than annoying.

Every building offers a little something different. I believe (I really don't pay attention) that the south facing rooms get the sun. For 3 bedroom units that would be Sailfish, Cobia, and Pompano (I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about Dolphin). Which one is best for you depends on what important to your traveling party.

This is perfect and I agree with everything except the Sailfish building is not the most recently refurbished. Sailfish was done in 2010. Dolphin renovations were completed last year and is the more recent. Cobia will be renovated this fall. Ocean Pointe is on a 5 year soft and then 5 year hard renovation schedule.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kingfish is King. Here right now!

Here overlooking the inlet, and a southerly view of the Atlantic Ocean. I prefer the Kingfish. It is a toned down version of the other buildings. I also enjoy looking at all of the boat traffic passing thru the inlet. The pool provides a great platform to the beach, and the sights of the ocean!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has Building Request Form Changed

I recently completed the unit location form for an upcoming stay for our owned week (friends will be using). The information appears to have changed from what I recall. Although I was still able to request buildings by order of preference, there was no option regarding high floor. Therefore I was unable to indicate that high floor has priority over my building preferences. I indicated this in the 'notes' section, but am concerned that these notes will likely be ignored. Has anyone else noticed this change?

I mostly agree with Doug's descriptions of the good/bad of each building. We actually don't mind the view of the pink building if we are on one of the top 2 floors. Since the pink building has fewer floors, we are able to see over it for a great view to the South. It has always been empty, so there were no noise issues. Since most don't request this building, we seem to have a better chance of a high floor when we aren't using our owned week.

hillsk

Reaction score
Ocean Pointe Building Choices

WOW! This is my first time ever asking a question on this forum, as it is very new to me. I am so impressed with both the speed of your response as well as all the helpful info. Thank you so much.

With that said, here's a little more info on us. It will be 3 couples sharing the space, no children. We have September 16-23, perhaps a little iffy time of year but it worked for us. We like peace and quiet, higher floors, and a newer-renovated villa. Also, access to a fitness center would be a plus. Another poster mentioned renovations. It sounds like Cobia might not be a choice for us if it will be renovated this fall. Do you know when that is happening? Has Kingfish been renovated? If so, when? Are all the 3-bedroom villas beachfront; or might we get parking lot views? It looks like the balconies are only off of the master and the lockout studio room . . . nothing from main living area. Is that correct? Do you find that to be an issue when multiple people are sharing the villa? Is there enough space on the master balcony for 6 adults?

Your photos are awesome. Thanks much.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
WOW! This is my first time ever asking a question on this forum, as it is very new to me. I am so impressed with both the speed of your response as well as all the helpful info. Thank you so much.

With that said, here's a little more info on us. It will be 3 couples sharing the space, no children. We have September 16-23, perhaps a little iffy time of year but it worked for us. We like peace and quiet, higher floors, and a newer-renovated villa. Also, access to a fitness center would be a plus. Another poster mentioned renovations. It sounds like Cobia might not be a choice for us if it will be renovated this fall. Do you know when that is happening? Has Kingfish been renovated? If so, when? Are all the 3-bedroom villas beachfront; or might we get parking lot views? It looks like the balconies are only off of the master and the lockout studio room . . . nothing from main living area. Is that correct? Do you find that to be an issue when multiple people are sharing the villa? Is there enough space on the master balcony for 6 adults?

Your photos are awesome. Thanks much.

Peace and quite would be Kingfish but, Kingfish only has 5 floors instead of 7. Pompano or Cobia might work better. Pompano use to have a queen size bed in the third bedroom instead of two twin beds. We have not stayed in Pompano for several years so I'm not certain if that is still the case. I'd call and ask the front desk and, if Pompano still has the queen beds in the third bedroom, that's the building I'd be requesting. Otherwise the third bedroom is set up with children in mind IMHO.

I don't have the renovations schedule. I'm not certain how they're working those.

Kingfish has had a soft refurb. You can see the difference in our pictures from last year in Cobia (pre refurb) and the year before in Kingfish (post soft refurb).

All of the 3 bedroom units are ocean front and there are only 7 per building in the main complex and 5 in Kingfish. The studio lock-out bedroom and the master bedroom have the balconies. The balcony off the master bedroom can be access from the living room or the master bedroom. The third bedroom, as I mentioned early, is set up more or less with kids in mind. The view might be "ocean front" but, if you're on a lower floor, you probably won't see the ocean for the landscaping/trees. In Kingfish, the 3 bedrooms are on the north corner. They are the only three bedrooms that have anything resembling a parking lot view. It's the one thing that irritates me about Kingfish.

Since we've never taken more than two people with us, I can definitively answer about 6 adult couples in a 3 bedroom villa. IMHO it would be fine as there are three bathrooms. One bathroom has a tub/shower combo (lock-out unit), the master bedroom has a huge two person and a seperate shower, the third bedroom doesn't have a private bath but there is a bathroom just outside the door that has a shower only. The balcony tables are on the smallish side for two people but, 6 adults will fit on the master balcony and you could take the chairs from the lock-out balcony over to that balcony.

FWIW, we were in Cobia last year before the renovations. That unit was about as old as Marriott lets a unit get and we were perfectly happy with the quality. I would not let refurbished not refurbished be an issue with building or unit request.

hillsk

Reaction score

Peace and quite would be Kingfish but, Kingfish only has 5 floors instead of 7. Pompano or Cobia might work better. Pompano use to have a queen size bed in the third bedroom instead of two twin beds. We have not stayed in Pompano for several years so I'm not certain if that is still the case. I'd call and ask the front desk and, if Pompano still has the queen beds in the third bedroom, that's the building I'd be requesting. Otherwise the third bedroom is set up with children in mind IMHO.

I don't have the renovations schedule. I'm not certain how they're working those.

Kingfish has had a soft refurb. You can see the difference in our pictures from last year in Cobia (pre refurb) and the year before in Kingfish (post soft refurb).

All of the 3 bedroom units are ocean front and there are only 7 per building in the main complex and 5 in Kingfish. The studio lock-out bedroom and the master bedroom have the balconies. The balcony off the master bedroom can be access from the living room or the master bedroom. The third bedroom, as I mentioned early, is set up more or less with kids in mind. The view might be "ocean front" but, if you're on a lower floor, you probably won't see the ocean for the landscaping/trees. In Kingfish, the 3 bedrooms are on the north corner. They are the only three bedrooms that have anything resembling a parking lot view. It's the one thing that irritates me about Kingfish.

Since we've never taken more than two people with us, I can definitively answer about 6 adult couples in a 3 bedroom villa. IMHO it would be fine as there are three bathrooms. One bathroom has a tub/shower combo (lock-out unit), the master bedroom has a huge two person and a seperate shower, the third bedroom doesn't have a private bath but there is a bathroom just outside the door that has a shower only. The balcony tables are on the smallish side for two people but, 6 adults will fit on the master balcony and you could take the chairs from the lock-out balcony over to that balcony.

FWIW, we were in Cobia last year before the renovations. That unit was about as old as Marriott lets a unit get and we were perfectly happy with the quality. I would not let refurbished not refurbished be an issue with building or unit request.

THANKS AGAIN! I'm sure the 6 of us would be fine anywhere, but I am kind of leaning towards Cobia if I have a choice. I studied your photos closely; and what I saw looked pretty nice to me . . . so I agree that I should not get hung up about the refurbishing thing. Your thorough descriptions have really helped me prepare for a fun time. You're the best.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
THANKS AGAIN! I'm sure the 6 of us would be fine anywhere, but I am kind of leaning towards Cobia if I have a choice. I studied your photos closely; and what I saw looked pretty nice to me . . . so I agree that I should not get hung up about the refurbishing thing. Your thorough descriptions have really helped me prepare for a fun time. You're the best.

Renovations take place from mid Sept to mid Nov. I don't think the exact date is set in stone. You can always make Cobia your first choice and they won't place you there if its during renovations. The ongoing renovation schedule is one building a year going from Sailfish to Kingfish. Kingfish will get hit again in 2014 and then it starts again at Sailfish in 2015. The rounds alternative between soft and hard. These units don't have time to get old.

hillsk

Reaction score

Renovations take place from mid Sept to mid Nov. I don't think the exact date is set in stone. You can always make Cobia your first choice and they won't place you there if its during renovations. The ongoing renovation schedule is one building a year going from Sailfish to Kingfish. Kingfish will get hit again in 2014 and then it starts again at Sailfish in 2015. The rounds alternative between soft and hard. These units don't have time to get old.

Thank you Saintsfanfl! I saw your other post as well and appreciate the good input. Our daughter from Nebraska may be joining us as well for a few days. She's an avid lap swimmer. I sent her the photos of the Cobia pool with those lap lanes visible. She's in love! It would be one of my top reasons for wanting that building! Does anyone know if the other pools have lap lanes too?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you Saintsfanfl! I saw your other post as well and appreciate the good input. Our daughter from Nebraska may be joining us as well for a few days. She's an avid lap swimmer. I sent her the photos of the Cobia pool with those lap lanes visible. She's in love! It would be one of my top reasons for wanting that building! Does anyone know if the other pools have lap lanes too?

Only that pool. I believe it is reserved for lap swimming each morning for a certain period of time.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

What dioxide said. The Cobia pool is adults only although i have seen one on one swimming lesson exceptions going on in the morning. The Sailfish pool is actually two pools and there are kids everywhere. The culture between the Sailfish pool area and the Cobia pool area is night and day but this is fantastic because it provides something for everyone. I am not a Kingfish building fan because I enjoy the larger complex and all that comes with it. The put
-put golf, the ping pong, the tiki bar with more food options, the kids activity center, the fitness center which is a nice one by the way, the pizza hut, the huge hot tubs, the kids splash zone. I would hate to have to walk down to everything. That being said I can definitely see why some prefer kingfish. It's either your most or least favorite of the five buildings.